Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is this MMO going to have any monetary features?

Comments

• Options
    I mean that helps, but they won’t do that, I think I read someone suggested that and they said no because they plan to make graphics settings very limited and it basically turns off their cash shop advertisements. (Correct me if I’m wrong there)

But anyway it doesn’t deal with the second point that is the one that is more concerning. Again, I just don’t like cash shops and that’s okay. 😅
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Iridianny wrote: »
    I mean that helps, but they won’t do that, I think I read someone suggested that and they said no because they plan to make graphics settings very limited and it basically turns off their cash shop advertisements. (Correct me if I’m wrong there)

But anyway it doesn’t deal with the second point that is the one that is more concerning. Again, I just don’t like cash shops and that’s okay. 😅

It is okay. I would assume most people agree with you on just generally not liking a cosmetics shop. I would assume most people are in the, "oh well doesnt matter" camp.

And i cant guess on their direction with their art department, and the long term impact of having the cash shop. Or its effect on in game acheivable gear quality over time.

But at the same time, im sure if gear obtainable in game doesnt get to a certain quality they will suffer their backlash then...

But Idk, guess its just best to let this go then. They went with a cosmetic shop for an additional revenue stream. I think the amount of revenue that will make available to them would be hard to make up in other ways.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Natasha wrote: »
    Nah I never suggested you have to think they are superior haha, they are just ideas. But, like I said, at least my ideas do not affect any in-game gameplay experience like cosmetics do.

It doesn't really affect in-game gameplay anyway. Because everyone can just earn the earnable ingame cosmetics.

I disagree with that. Sure, the term "gameplay" can be a bit ambiguous, but cosmetics are really important to a lot of people, and Intrepid knows that or they wouldn't be basing half of their economic model on selling cosmetics. Cosmetics affect how players connect with their characters and by extension their connection to the game and the choices they make in the game, including choices about ingame earnable cosmetics.

Depending on how well Intrepid implements that little icon next to a player nameplate that tells other people what that player is wearing, cosmetics can directly affect PvP outcomes too. So it's quite possibly not only in more indirect ways cosmetics affect gameplay, but it could straight up affect combat too.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    Depending on how well Intrepid implements that little icon next to a player nameplate that tells other people what that player is wearing...

u7b3wk8gqe8i.jpg

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    I think that cosmetics being a primary form of revenue means that they will be investing their artists there rather than in game art and item sets. There are tons of examples where this is the case and they put the bare minimum effort into in-game gear and focus on the buyable gear (see WoW if you need just one). It takes away from the collection and reward value of earning cool things in game. And I don’t care for the argument that “visuals don’t matter” in a video game because that’s the main reason people play them over table top games.

I get artist concern but i'd think they would hire more artists to spread the work. To sell cosmetics, the game still needs to be good. On top of that, the cosmetics currently being developed are being used in game for different NPCs. It's also easy for them to create new items by adding or taking away a few elements from an item.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I have never found store cosmetics to affect my appreciation for appearances that take effort to achieve.

Idk, man - the McLizard costume could be a viral skin. :D

But that would kind of becoming p2w wouldn't it. If you got that skin, you pretty much won the game.
    Nerror wrote: »
    Natasha wrote: »
    Nah I never suggested you have to think they are superior haha, they are just ideas. But, like I said, at least my ideas do not affect any in-game gameplay experience like cosmetics do.

It doesn't really affect in-game gameplay anyway. Because everyone can just earn the earnable ingame cosmetics.

Depending on how well Intrepid implements that little icon next to a player nameplate that tells other people what that player is wearing, cosmetics can directly affect PvP outcomes too.

I feel like we are getting to the point where they should just give everyone a potato sack cosmetic at character creation so everyone has one and there is no advantage replacing it with something you bought from the store.

I really find this argument silly. Since everyone can wear everything, you shouldn't know their class, abilities, augments, or stats which usually play much larger roles in combat than armor.
  • Options
    Uh idk what page but some alternatives I like are paying for character slots, or raising sub fee a little while offering a type of trial period. There’s other alternatives out there I’m sure, I’m not a financial advisor or do I work for this company. And these are okay with me just like cash shop is okay with others. I explained my reasoning already in here though so we don’t need to go back into it, but the gist of it is character slots and or higher sub fee don’t affect actual in-game gameplay experience the way cosmetics do.

This guy wants pay for convenience gtfo of here with that BS. Your alternatives are compete garbage.
  • Options
    Nothing I suggested is at all “pay for convenience,” I’m not a guy I’m a girl, and the only thing that’s garbage is the way you talk to people.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7 likes to argue. So... spend your time at your own risk
  • Options
    You literately just talked about buying characters slots lmfao.
  • Options
    Nothing I suggested is at all “pay for convenience,” I’m not a guy I’m a girl, and the only thing that’s garbage is the way you talk to people.

I'm not buying your BS is why.
  • Options
    How is charging for extra character slots pay for convenience? XD
  • Options

This comment here is how I know modern mmos with all their crappy payment models are slowly permanently corrupting the mmo market. This is why they keep putting p2w and convince in games because they have convinced some people its normal and ignoring the benefits multiple characters bring and forcing people to spend money to have alts.
  • Options
    Wanting to have as many characters as you want for the sub fee is the same thing as wanting to have all the cosmetics for the sub fee. One bit of content you are okay with paying for and one you aren’t. They are both part of the game except there is a difference. Having multiple characters does not affect the quality of your in-game gameplay experience on a given character as cosmetics do.
  • Options
    You still haven’t explained how it’s pay for convenience though.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited August 2022
    Wanting to have as many characters as you want for the sub fee is the same thing as wanting to have all the cosmetics for the sub fee. One bit of content you are okay with paying for and one you aren’t. They are both part of the game except there is a difference. Having multiple characters does not affect the quality of your in-game gameplay experience on a given character as cosmetics do.

Having outfits you can buy in game that don't do anything to game play does not effect gameplay experience. Having more characters influence gameplay on multiple levels of gameplay....

I'm in disbelief you are saying buying outfits effects gameplay quality when this is one of the few mmorpgs where stuff you earn in game is as good or better, where other mmorpgs the stuff you earn in game is trash...And you think more characters doesn't influence gameplay o.o.

You can't make this up, this is like I said one of the worst takes. And this is the mmo you are targeting compared to the other trash ones out there with their bad monetization.

What mmorpgs do you play :)
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The definition of P2W and P2C changes depending on the title and the specific systems in question.

In AoC character slots provide tangible benefits to your account. For example, they allow you to gain access to multiple master professions provided you've put the effort into progressing them.

I'd consider limiting these benefits behind pay walls almost exactly pay2convenience.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    LeoManechestLeoManechest Member
    edited August 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Having outfits you can buy in game that don't do anything to game play does not effect gameplay experience. Having more characters influence gameplay on multiple levels of gameplay....

It 100% affects one's gameplay experience.

-People might look cooler than you.

-As people said earlier, it might effect how you perceive another player, or lack there of.

-It lowers ambition to clear content when you already have the gear, so to speak, that you want. It almost defeats the purpose of the game in that regard. Or rather when you do beat the game, you still don't get to look cool. Unless you go and buy the cool looking stuff from the cash shop.

-I know some people think it doesn't affect them, but I know you eventually start to see how tacky and silly it is when everyone looks so epic and different from one another. I know it eventually eats at you. When you can see they look even more powerful than the bosses you're fighting.

-I have never had as good of an experience playing a game with a cash shop as I have without. I can't be the only one.

-It totally affects one's "Gameplay Experience".
  • Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited August 2022

It breaks immersion, it reduces the significance of earning cool items in game, and it emphasizes that your visual experience in the game will be directly tied to your to real life wealth. Not to mention it gives off a weird vibe kind of like “what’s real armor.”
    I think that cosmetics being a primary form of revenue means that they will be investing their artists there rather than in game art and item sets. There are tons of examples where this is the case and they put the bare minimum effort into in-game gear and focus on the buyable gear (see WoW if you need just one).

I already shared my opinion on this. To say that cosmetics don’t affect gameplay is to say visualization is not important in video games and that is the reason video games exist instead of table top games.

No, given you can play one character at a time does not directly affect gameplay experience on your other characters, while you are playing them, the same way cosmetics do.

Like I said, you are okay with multiple character slots for the sub fee when I think one character is enough for that price where as I’d rather have cosmetics not purchasable but actual in game content to earn for the sub price. It’s a matter of what you value in your gaming experience. If you think that progression is more important than overall quality of experience visually, hey you do you. I simply disagree.

(Notice how I didn’t just call your opinion BS and garbage.)
  • Options

It 100% affects one's gameplay experience.

-People might look cooler than you.

-As people said earlier, it might effect how you perceive another player, or lack there of.

-It lowers ambition to clear content when you already have the gear, so to speak, that you want. It almost defeats the purpose of the game in that regard. Or rather when you do beat the game, you still don't get to look cool. Unless you go and buy the cool looking stuff from the cash shop.

-I know some people think it doesn't affect them, but I know you eventually start to see how tacky and silly it is when everyone looks so epic and different from one another. I know it eventually eats at you. When you can see they look even more powerful than the bosses you're fighting.

-I have never had as good of an experience playing a game with a cash shop as I have without. I can't be the only one.

-It totally affects one's "Gameplay Experience".

I feel like you haven't been reading the post that have been said, or you are purposely lying. A outfit does not influence gameplay, it only influences visuals.

I'm tired of repeating myself about looks and what you can get in game please read it this time or What steven says atleast.

hbnws6pbrvve.png

Where is said you look tacky in game from not buying outfits please show me a quote? As far as im concerned you would be more tacky buying current cosmetics as those are NPC skins in the world, some being cool than others some being a lot more generic.

I just find it insane you have other games out there BDO and lost ark you look like trash on some or most gear sets in game where the look never really changes. And Intrepid is like we aren't doing that we are making sure you have things to earn in game and legendary looks as well....
  • Options
    This is the future for mmorpgs be it you like it or not, if you want MMORPGS to be taking a step BACK in the right direction away from p2w and Pay for convivence AoC is doing that at the very least and should be supported.

If AoC fails expect immense p2W, pay for convivence and very expensive outfits in all mmorpgs from this point on. AoC is the only potential competition to make things scale back and it starts at one step at a time. You try to ruin ashes with bad takes, I see it as bs and a much worst future showing up and why I'm do hard on some of these comments. In every mmo I've played and seen this is the first time I've seen a game move away from some BS monetization.
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    No, given you can play one character at a time does not directly affect gameplay experience on your other characters, while you are playing them, the same way cosmetics do.

I believe this to be inaccurate.

As an example, One of your alts may be an armorsmith. You could have that character craft some gear with a customized appearance. You could then swap to another alt to have it enchanted before placing it in a warehouse or personal storage so all your characters may have use of it.

This can directly affect the gameplay and visual style of other characters.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Storage
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crafting
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited August 2022
    Like I said, you are okay with multiple character slots for the sub fee when I think one character is enough for that price where as I’d rather have cosmetics not purchasable but actual in game content to earn for the sub price. It’s a matter of what you value in your gaming experience. If you think that progression is more important than overall quality of experience visually, hey you do you. I simply disagree.

It’s okay if you think this is BS, but I am just sharing my opinion on what I’d rather spend my money on and the type of game I am more interested in playing while this game is still in development, is looking for feedback, and actively implementing it.

Cash shops spoil the experience of mmos, always. I am paying for the game, and I’ll pay a reasonable price, so I say stop adding extra shit to pay for and let your game be enough as it is. Let your art be in your game and enhance it, not be an extra buyable feature. Let those cosmetics be earnable by creating more content in the game to do, making players play your game longer. You may not get more money right out of the gate, but you have invested players earning things and working to achieve things for longer. That means longer lasting subs.

End game of most mmos is appearance collection. Once I beat that end game and complete my character’s look, I am less likely to keep subbing. That can happen a lot sooner if I am able to just buy it.
  • Options
    Elder wrote: »
    As an example, One of your alts may be an armorsmith. You could have that character craft some gear with a customized appearance. You could then swap to another alt to have it enchanted before placing it in a warehouse or personal storage so all your characters may have use of it.

I understand this mentality, but I am not a hardcore progression focused mmo player. I am a community based player and I think having alts to do every skill actually takes away from community engagement. I personally think paying for alts is actually a great monetization model for those who need to have every class and every character and the average player can just focus on their one. Most mmo players are casual players after all and don’t have unlimited time to invest into a video game.
  • Options

It breaks immersion, it reduces the significance of earning cool items in game, and it emphasizes that your visual experience in the game will be directly tied to your to real life wealth. Not to mention it gives off a weird vibe kind of like “what’s real armor.”
    I think that cosmetics being a primary form of revenue means that they will be investing their artists there rather than in game art and item sets. There are tons of examples where this is the case and they put the bare minimum effort into in-game gear and focus on the buyable gear (see WoW if you need just one).

I already shared my opinion on this. To say that cosmetics don’t affect gameplay is to say visualization is not important in video games and that is the reason video games exist instead of table top games.

(Notice how I didn’t just call your opinion BS and garbage.)

Why are you lying again, where have you seen them saying their primary focus of revenue is cosmetics and the are investing on artist to mainly work on those?

It is being called BS because you are making up things in your head and posting it on the forums as if it is fact. Which means you are literarily lying to my face.

Why are you talking about WoW when WoW is pay 2 win? You dont understand mmorpgs if you don't see how having more character slots is a benefit in game as an advantage. And the fact that another character is actual gameplay for you...gameplay not just visual stuff.

Stop assuming AoC doesn't have progression you simply are just lying and making things up. If they release the game and it doesn't have it than you can make a point but that goes against what the devs have stated they are doing.

Your points have been countered with actual information about the game you can choose to ignore it and make things up about a incomplete game. You can support those other P2W mmorpgs. Far as I see it I'm fine with a market and whales being milked with me still able to have full visual progression from earning gear in game.
  • Options
    Elder wrote: »

I understand this mentality, but I am not a hardcore progression focused mmo player. I am a community based player and I think having alts to do every skill actually takes away from community engagement. I personally think paying for alts is actually a great monetization model for those who need to have every class and every character and the average player can just focus on their one. Most mmo players are casual players after all and don’t have unlimited time to invest into a video game.

So because you are casual you want other people to pay for your gameplay now lol. You can't make up these bad takes.
  • Options

It’s okay if you think this is BS, but I am just sharing my opinion on what I’d rather spend my money on and the type of game I am more interested in playing while this game is still in development, is looking for feedback, and actively implementing it.

Cash shops spoil the experience of mmos, always. I am paying for the game, and I’ll pay a reasonable price, so I say stop adding extra shit to pay for and let your game be enough as it is. Let your art be in your game and enhance it, not be an extra buyable feature. Let those cosmetics be earnable by creating more content in the game to do, making players play your game longer. You may not get more money right out of the gate, but you have invested players earning things and working to achieve things for longer. That means longer lasting subs.

End game of most mmos is appearance collection. Once I beat that end game and complete my character’s look, I am less likely to keep subbing. That can happen a lot sooner if I am able to just buy it.

You can do that without buying from the market and then quit the game when you are max level or whatever. Im sure the game will be plenty fun from lvl 1-max.

As someone that plans on paying this mmo for a extremely long term I'd rather them have the cash shop to help support and milk whales. So this game is supported and grows for many many many years without p2w,
  • Options
    As of right now, their only form of revenue is cosmetics so I think it’s fair to say it’s their primary form. XD
    Honestly, you are a bit too aggressive to have a productive conversation with so you have your opinion, I have mine, let’s leave it there.
  • Options
    As of right now, their only form of revenue is cosmetics so I think it’s fair to say it’s their primary form. XD
    Honestly, you are a bit too aggressive to have a productive conversation with so you have your opinion, I have mine, let’s leave it there.

What are talking about. So you are going with disingenuous arguments now o.O. Like you seriously want to go there.

1. You can take the full value of the 375$ pack, and minus the embers you are given and monthly sub which is 265$ and most of the cost value with 110$ going to cosmetics. So counting the embers if you can use that for monthly subscription that is most the value right there.
    2. You are supporting the development of the game and the direct development of those assets, which are NPCS in the world. If your idea of dressing up is a npc for end game I guess that is you.
    3. No the main source of income is the month sub everyone will have to pay every month with a ton of people not buying any cosmetics. If whales buy everything and give a huge buffer, i don't see anything wrong.

• Options

I don't like when someone lies to my face.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    What the hell is this? Which game doesnt sell cosmetics? Are you living under a rock iridianny? There is a lot of people that dont like ingame armor being sidestepped by cash shops but what's wrong with you?
    Are you a child? Dont you understand that games need extra sales?

Dont you see the p2w, p4convenience and other tactics that most mmos work around? Are you that ignorant?
    Everybody sells cosmetics. You'd have to shut down your studio if you didnt. The players are to blame for. What the f do you hope to achieve banging on this for days now?
    The shop wont close. The cosmetics will ruon immersion. You will not find an mmo without cosmetics that isnt p2w.

Have you contributed to ANY OTHER aspect of the undertaking of this game or are you just here to attack the cosmetic shop? Because if that's what you are here for, you must definatly wont get any attention from the devs regarding the cosmetics. Ffs.