Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is this MMO going to have any monetary features?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited August 2022
    I am not “lying to your face” as this is an online thread and I can’t see your face, nor would I want to. They are offering some sub time and their cosmetic use currency of embers, but you are mainly buying a pack of cosmetics items right now and that is what they continuously are offering and have been for seemingly years now, so it’s the primary form as far as I can tell. That being said, I’m no expert on this game I only am interpreting what I see and have been told by other people on these forums.
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Iridianny wrote: »
    Elder wrote: »
    As an example, One of your alts may be an armorsmith. You could have that character craft some gear with a customized appearance. You could then swap to another alt to have it enchanted before placing it in a warehouse or personal storage so all your characters may have use of it.

I understand this mentality, but I am not a hardcore progression focused mmo player. I am a community based player and I think having alts to do every skill actually takes away from community engagement. I personally think paying for alts is actually a great monetization model for those who need to have every class and every character and the average player can just focus on their one. Most mmo players are casual players after all and don’t have unlimited time to invest into a video game.

I don't mean to be rude, but I was only correcting misinformation. I have no interest in discussing your opinions or preferences.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I am not “lying to your face” as this is an online thread and I can’t see your face, nor would I want to. They are offering some sub time and their cosmetic use currency of embers, but you are mainly buying a pack of cosmetics items right now and that is what they continuously are offering and have been for seemingly years now, so it’s the primary form as far as I can tell. That being said, I’m no expert on this game I only am interpreting what I see and have been told by other people on these forums.

Intrepid have said many times in the past - the main thing you are buying with the supporter packs is support for Intrepid.

Sure, you get cosmetics, you get embers, you even get game time. However, the reason to buy the support packs is - again, as per Steven - to support Intrepid.

Steven has even specifically said many times that if you do not wish to support Intrepid, do not buy the supporter packs. This is true even if you intend on playing the game when it launches.
  • Options
    What the hell is this? Which game doesnt sell cosmetics? Are you living under a rock iridianny? There is a lot of people that dont like ingame armor being sidestepped by cash shops but what's wrong with you?
    Are you a child? Dont you understand that games need extra sales?

Dont you see the p2w, p4convenience and other tactics that most mmos work around? Are you that ignorant?
    Everybody sells cosmetics. You'd have to shut down your studio if you didnt. The players are to blame for. What the f do you hope to achieve banging on this for days now?
    The shop wont close. The cosmetics will ruon immersion. You will not find an mmo without cosmetics that isnt p2w.

Have you contributed to ANY OTHER aspect of the undertaking of this game or are you just here to attack the cosmetic shop? Because if that's what you are here for, you must definatly wont get any attention from the devs regarding the cosmetics. Ffs.

Okay, guy. I have seen you in many threads, your go to is “bury this thread” because it seems you don’t like hearing opinions you don’t agree with. Seems to make you very upset XD.
    Yea, I contributed my opinion that the original art style wasn’t good and they changed it and now it looks great! If you are talking about donations, nah. The game was fully funded and I’ll pay a reasonable sub price when the game is released if I enjoy it, but I don’t pay for promises.
    It seems like maybe you feel “attacks” on the cosmetic shop are attacks on you since you, let me guess, must have invested money into cosmetics and embers?
    I don’t know where you get the idea that, “you’d have to shut the studio down if you don’t sell cosmetics,” but I just don’t buy it. I guess if you had some sort of.. anything to back that I might consider it… but you seem to like to offer insults to a conversation rather than anything productive.
  • Options
    As an example, One of your alts may be an armorsmith. You could have that character craft some gear with a customized appearance. You could then swap to another alt to have it enchanted before placing it in a warehouse or personal storage so all your characters may have use of it.

I understand this mentality, but I am not a hardcore progression focused mmo player. I am a community based player and I think having alts to do every skill actually takes away from community engagement. I personally think paying for alts is actually a great monetization model for those who need to have every class and every character and the average player can just focus on their one. Most mmo players are casual players after all and don’t have unlimited time to invest into a video game.

I don't mean to be rude, but I was only correcting misinformation. I have no interest in discussing your opinions or preferences.

Oh thank you “fact checker,” now I don’t mean to be rude but if you didn’t want to discuss things with me than don’t respond and don’t tag me in your meaningless posts like this one.
  • Options

Oh thank you “fact checker,” now I don’t mean to be rude but if you didn’t want to discuss things with me than don’t respond and don’t tag me in your meaningless posts like this one.

As far as I can see, Elder has not tagged you at all in this thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    He just quoted me… I-I am so over this conversation lmao. I am not going to argue semantics.
  • Options
    He just quoted me… I-I am so over this conversation lmao. I am not going to argue semantics.
    So, a quote (above), is not a tag (below).

@Iridianny
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2022
    What the hell is this? Which game doesnt sell cosmetics? Are you living under a rock iridianny? There is a lot of people that dont like ingame armor being sidestepped by cash shops but what's wrong with you?

Dont you see the p2w, p4convenience and other tactics that most mmos work around? Are you that ignorant?
    Everybody sells cosmetics. You'd have to shut down your studio if you didnt. The players are to blame for. What the f do you hope to achieve banging on this for days now?
    The shop wont close. The cosmetics will ruon immersion. You will not find an mmo without cosmetics that isnt p2w.

Have you contributed to ANY OTHER aspect of the undertaking of this game or are you just here to attack the cosmetic shop? Because if that's what you are here for, you must definatly wont get any attention from the devs regarding the cosmetics. Ffs.

Okay, guy. I have seen you in many threads, your go to is “bury this thread” because it seems you don’t like hearing opinions you don’t agree with. Seems to make you very upset XD.
    Yea, I contributed my opinion that the original art style wasn’t good and they changed it and now it looks great! If you are talking about donations, nah. The game was fully funded and I’ll pay a reasonable sub price when the game is released if I enjoy it, but I don’t pay for promises.
    It seems like maybe you feel “attacks” on the cosmetic shop are attacks on you since you, let me guess, must have invested money into cosmetics and embers?
    I don’t know where you get the idea that, “you’d have to shut the studio down if you don’t sell cosmetics,” but I just don’t buy it. I guess if you had some sort of.. anything to back that I might consider it… but you seem to like to offer insults to a conversation rather than anything productive.

you are the third person to make assumptions about what I do. As a matter of fact I have alpha access but I only got one cosmetic as a token of support. I hate cosmetics. They ruin my immersion. But I am an adult who knows how the world works. Clearly you dont, since you can't reply to all points. Get over yourself.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @Noaani Yea I understand, buddy. Are you trying to be annoying? Like I said, semantics. Notice both have my username. Don’t have my username in your post if you aren’t talking to me.

• Options

you are the third person to make assumptions about what I do. As a matter of fact I have alpha access but I only got one cosmetic as a token of support. I hate cosmetics. They ruin my immersion. But I am an adult who knows how the world works. Clearly you dont, since you can't reply to all points. Get over yourself.

Oh boy I’ve made a list. Look we agree on cosmetics, let’s take that mural agreement and get along how about! I guess you didn’t respond with anything to back the reason they “have to have them or they will shut down.” So take your own advice about responding to “all points” if you are such an adult XD
  • Options
    Noaani Yea I understand, buddy. Are you trying to be annoying? Like I said, semantics. Notice both have my username. Don’t have my username in your post if you aren’t talking to me.

A tag gives people a notification (and potentially an e-mail), a quote just signifies to all who you are referring to. You should always quote text if you are referring to something specific that has been said in a thread.

If you understood, you wouldn't have mixed up quote and tag. You may call it annoying if you like, I call prefer to it educating.
  • Options
    Wow you’re so smart! He was talking directly to me and I said the word tag instead of quote because my username was in the quote. I probably really should have just said don’t speak directly to me. My bad XD
    Noaani wrote: »
    If you understood, you wouldn't have mixed up quote and tag. You may call it annoying if you like, I call prefer to it educating.

You “call prefer to it educating”? Educate me on this sentence, please.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Wow you’re so smart! He was talking directly to me and I said the word tag instead of quote because my username was in the quote. I probably really should have just said don’t speak directly to me. My bad XD
    Noaani wrote: »

You “call prefer to it educating”? Educate me on this sentence, please.

Perfer to call.

There, educated.

You don't get to tell people who they can and can not speak to. If you don't want people to speak to you directly, block them. They can continue to reply to you, you just won't see it.
  • Options
    The surge of lost blindmans swinging their baseless arguments around seems to be creeping up on the forums recently.... And their takes on monetization are getting worse as time goes by....
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    As of right now, their only form of revenue is cosmetics so I think it’s fair to say it’s their primary form. XD
    Honestly, you are a bit too aggressive to have a productive conversation with so you have your opinion, I have mine, let’s leave it there.

If that were the case, you wouldn't have spent the past 5 days arguing that your opinion is superior. Just go away.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    4ndx2w14hcyl.jpg
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited August 2022
    My 3.5 cents.

It's all fucking subjective (I know, shocker).

A lot of people couldn't give fewer shits about cosmetics. A lot of people couldn't give fewer shits about extra char slots or extra inventory spaces or any other p4c stuff that the first group of people would find p2w'y.

On top of that, everyone has their own style of gameplay (especially in Ashes). Some people only care about numbers going up (me). Someone only cares about cool quests/story/RP (Dygz, probably). Someone cares only about having a crafting stall in a node and being a part of the community. And someone cares about how their character looks and how other people judge them by said looks.

And most of the time any of those groups (if dumb enough) will call out another group as "not playing the game correctly". All of them would be wrong and would be dumb for doing so.

But while all of that is true, the other true reality of the current industry is that all the people, who care about the visuals of the character, have historically not cared enough about how you get said visual to protest cosmetic shops in games hard enough for them to not exist rn. Which means that the absolute majority of people (that is the moneymakers) do not consider cosmetic shops in games as smth bad or as p2w. And because of that most (pretty much all) studios went down the path of "the game is free (or just a sub), but if you want some cool cosmetics - go buy them". Some greedy assholes even sell the box then sell the sub then sell the cosmetic.

And after all of that shit Steven decided to make a game where the base income would be just the sub and any money from the cosmetics will be the safety net. He has also promised to not have shop cosmetics that look better than in-game ones (and from what we've seen so far I agree with his statement). Now there's a questions here: Do you trust Intrepid to stick to their word? Cause if you do - great! Go wait for the game and enjoy it when it comes out. Hell, you can even support it rn by buying a pack, and have a small contribution in their potential success.

But if you don't trust Intrepid to do the things that they promised - why da living fuck are you even here? Do you not have better things to do? Do you get off on yelling at people about how they're all wrong and have been brainwashed? Are you perhaps a twitter person (I am btw, so it's not like I'm not like that)? Or maybe you're just a troll who likes to rile people up?

Either way, the only thing we can do is be smarter about our discussions and just wait until Intrepid either proves everyone wrong and makes an amazing non-p2w game with great in-game cosmetics orrrrr it completely fucking fails and we'll have just wasted our collective time waiting for it (with some of us losing money too). And from this thread I sure as hell see people on both sides that've been dumb in their responses. But what else is new :)
  • Options
    Please. Mr. Penguin is my father.

laugh-lol.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    My 3.5 cents.

It's all fucking subjective (I know, shocker).

A lot of people couldn't give fewer shits about cosmetics.

I know that's sort of the point. I think it fractures the playerbase.

I think a game with no cash shop appeals to more people than a game that does have some sort of cash shop.

I think paying for extra character slots is a rip off. It's an artificial problem. Also btw. Anyone recommending this over a basic game purchase and subscription is an MMO cash shop abuse victim. They don't even know what's right anymore.

• Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I think paying for extra character slots is a rip off. It's an artificial problem.

I wouldn't call it an artificial problem. If there were infinite character slots and everyone decided to make 10,000 characters that would be a problem for data storage.

I think it's a good idea for businesses to have reasonable limits.
  • Options
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    I think paying for extra character slots is a rip off. It's an artificial problem.

I wouldn't call it an artificial problem. If there were infinite character slots and everyone decided to make 10,000 characters that would be a problem for data storage.

I think it's a good idea for businesses to have reasonable limits.

Correct. But we both know a character takes up like 100kb of memory.
  • Options

So you'd agree that there should be a character limit per account, right?
  • Options

So you'd agree that there should be a character limit per account, right?

Yeah.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm not sure I follow then...

How is selling extra character slots a rip off?

Do you mean the price or the action of selling them itself?
  • Options
    Okay, I'm not sure I follow then...

How is selling extra character slots a rip off?

Do you mean the price or the action of selling them itself?

No because you can already have so many character slots that it negates needing more character slots.