Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PVP Trophies?

SrixunSrixun Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Is there going to be any sort of pvp trophy mechanic in game? not like a golden cup type trophy but like... something to show off. Lol.

Ultima online, if you killed someone you could take the head. We would always mount it and "lock it down" on our roof to show the people we've gotten.

Any form or system like that or similar in game? Thinking if I could decorate my freehold a little bit with something like this, it would be pretty cool. :)

Maybe a "Killboard" that lists who you've killed, or been killed by, etc.

Comments

• Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I’m cool with trophies
  • Options
    I hope that instanced PvP such as Arenas and Battlegrounds will award trophies and cosmetics.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    SrixunSrixun Member
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    I hope that instanced PvP such as Arenas and Battlegrounds will award trophies and cosmetics.

yeah something, I want somethig IN the world not just on my profile too :)

But also Open world.

Like, Kill 100 corrupted, or kill 100 players, etc. get something nifty. 100, 500, 1000, 1500, etc.
  • Options
    Srixun wrote: »
    But also Open world.

Like, Kill 100 corrupted, or kill 100 players, etc. get something nifty. 100, 500, 1000, 1500, etc.

I could be wrong, don't quote me on that, but I don't think PKing (going red) will ever be rewarded. PvPing between combatants maybe!
  • Options
    SrixunSrixun Member
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    But also Open world.

I could be wrong, don't quote me on that, but I don't think PKing (going red) will ever be rewarded. PvPing between combatants maybe!

Possible. I would think it would be something thats noted at least. its just a diff gameplay style right? so we shouldn't leave them without something.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There should be NO rewards for corrupted players. Even recording number of PKs will, to some twisted minds, feel like an accomplishment.
  • Options
    SrixunSrixun Member
    tautau wrote: »
    There should be NO rewards for corrupted players. Even recording number of PKs will, to some twisted minds, feel like an accomplishment.

I get the sentinment, but I disagree. PVP is a factor in the game and so we should also respect all the PVP types as well as all the PVE types, dont you agree?
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022

I get the sentinment, but I disagree. PVP is a factor in the game and so we should also respect all the PVP types as well as all the PVE types, dont you agree?

Curruption is a punishment system. Until we test it, and see more how the devs want it to function. Im going to treat it as a punishment system, and say no. We shouldnt treat people looking to greive, like your average pvp player. I dont think playing red or frequently being red, is a concept that fits my current understanding of the curruption system. Rewards for pvp, yes. Im all for. Get titles/trophies for the amount of combatants you have slain. Do not give titles/trophies for the amount of greens slain at least not ones with a large quantity required... maybe like a murderer title, for going red your first time. No need to further incentivise killing greens.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Corruption is not an intended playstyle in Ashes though. It's just a way to kill someone when you think you need to. But such actions will be punished, so it's not really a "pvp type".
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited July 2022
    A little late for the discussion, but like others have stated, I believe Steven has said multiple times that going red/PKing/corruption will never be rewarded/incentivized. I understand some people might disagree, but that's not gonna change anything regarding this IMO.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2022
    Maybe one of the additional punishments for going red is that you can also drop your head, which can be mounted in the freehold / apartment of whoever kills and loots the red.

A whole new take on 'red heads.' :#
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Really want to be able to use people's heads as a projectile from a catapult during a siege. Quality of life stuff that doesn't need to be there at launch, but would love to be added to the game.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    SrixunSrixun Member

Curruption is a punishment system. Until we test it, and see more how the devs want it to function. Im going to treat it as a punishment system, and say no. We shouldnt treat people looking to greive, like your average pvp player. I dont think playing red or frequently being red, is a concept that fits my current understanding of the curruption system. Rewards for pvp, yes. Im all for. Get titles/trophies for the amount of combatants you have slain. Do not give titles/trophies for the amount of greens slain at least not ones with a large quantity required... maybe like a murderer title, for going red your first time. No need to further incentivise killing greens.

Has it been explicitly suggested as a punishment system? (asking out of ignorance)
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Has it been explicitly suggested as a punishment system? (asking out of ignorance)
    Your stats will start going down if you PK too much and if you die while being Red you'll get x4 multiplier on death penalties. And if you have enough corruption, bounty hunters will see you on the map and start hunting you. And literally any player around you can attack you w/o any penalties to them, and will probably want to attack you because to them you're a loot piñata.

All of those seem like way more of a punishment to me than a "playstyle". No one's trying to stop you from trying playing as a Red, but there's a ton of things to deter you from doing so.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

No it's not technically a punishment system. It's a risk vs reward system. Most, but not all, of the "punishments" are not even realized by the player being "punished" unless they die. That said though, in effect it is using punishment to some extent, and the RISK of punishment to limit how often PKing will happen.

"Reward without risk is meaningless... Corruption is just another word for risk."[10] – Steven Sharif

Get your info from sources like Ashes Wiki. There are a lot of crusaders on the forums holy warring for their personal vision of the game.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Otr wrote: »
    The purpose of corruption is to shift player`s combat energy toward strategy, away from chaotic fights near resource nodes.

I think you may be reading a little too much into corruption. It's fundamentally a punishment state for being a murder hobo.

That may have some downstream effects similar to where you're going above, but its intention is quite simple.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2022
    Then explain why there is no simply an on-off pvp flag like in New World.

IMO: because Intrepid wants everyone to baseline as green to have the option of generating corruption on an attacker. The folks who would opt-in will most likely fight back anyway. It amps the risk v. reward. My opinion on the opt-in pvp has changed over the years.

That's just my opinion, which doesn't do justice to the topic. You're touching on a long fought, hot mess of a debate: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46883/combatant-opt-in/p1

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Then explain why there is no simply an on-off pvp flag like in New World.
    Because Ashes is THE TRUE 'MURRICAN GAME! IT'S ALL ABOUT FREEEEEDOM!

You're free to attack or be attacked by anyone.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The purpose of corruption is to shift player`s combat energy toward strategy, away from chaotic fights near resource nodes.

Kind of yeah. More so the flagging system in particular, but the corruption system by extension too.

In a scenario where a bunch of different groups are going after the same resource, boss etc, there will be a lot more strategy going on behind the scenes in real time. Because who's going to flag up first? Is it worth even flagging up for?

Should our group flag up first, or should we let that dickhead guild flag up first and maybe everyone jumps on them, instead of us.

As opposed to a more free form, no corruption system pvp game, where this same scene would instantly turn into everyone killing each other by default, the "chaotic" fight as you put it.

• Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    100% want there to be PvP trophies, but specific to where you have obtained them. For example, heads are for open world kills, ears are for arena, noses are for bounties, etc.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Man, I don't think I want to visit your Freehold. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Man, I don't think I want to visit your Freehold. ;)

Welcome to my crib

5IhUDih.gif
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Is there going to be any sort of pvp trophy mechanic in game? not like a golden cup type trophy but like... something to show off. Lol.

Ultima online, if you killed someone you could take the head. We would always mount it and "lock it down" on our roof to show the people we've gotten.

Any form or system like that or similar in game? Thinking if I could decorate my freehold a little bit with something like this, it would be pretty cool. :)

Maybe a "Killboard" that lists who you've killed, or been killed by, etc.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46857/pvp-body-parts/p1
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/PvP_seasons

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Arena_ladder

There's also metrics for rating and what not but not much has been mentioned about it in a while.
  • Options
    SrixunSrixun Member
    Or even think Diablo, you got an ear for a kill. I just want to show off my kills. in a tangible manner. :)
  • Options
    SrixunSrixun Member
    Okeydoke wrote: »

No it's not technically a punishment system. It's a risk vs reward system. Most, but not all, of the "punishments" are not even realized by the player being "punished" unless they die. That said though, in effect it is using punishment to some extent, and the RISK of punishment to limit how often PKing will happen.

"Reward without risk is meaningless... Corruption is just another word for risk."[10] – Steven Sharif

Get your info from sources like Ashes Wiki. There are a lot of crusaders on the forums holy warring for their personal vision of the game.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption

Yeah, I just don't see it as a punishment system, its just a different gameplay mechanic is all. I mean some people may not like it, but like, its there, so oh well.

I have a decent sized interest in a corrupted gameplay route, I think some servers you may even see a corrupted economy, where corrupted players engage with each other and trade and get goods and all that.

It's like Piracy ya know?

I dunno. I think there is just alot of anti pvp sentiment lately with games, and PVP is the most fun vector for me. Literally been called a "Douchebag PVP'er" for simply saying I want to engage in PVP. lol
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited July 2022
    I have a decent sized interest in a corrupted gameplay route, I think some servers you may even see a corrupted economy, where corrupted players engage with each other and trade and get goods and all that.

"Player to player trading and the ability to store items in public warehouses is disabled for corrupt players.[28]"
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption

Corruption isn't intended as a useable gameplay route.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Corruption is often misunderstood by new folks as some sort of DnD alignment mechanic that allows them to play 'evil' characters. It's not. You will be marked to be killed for everyone around you. Have reduced XP and stats (via deleveling), and have a 400% drop rate including equipped gear.

There is zero advantage to being red in any way. You'll just be repeatedly killed until your corruption wears off.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    In crowfall players dropped a skull when you kill them with there name on it.
    I ended up playing pokemon with skulls trying to collect them all, had them all in alphabetical order in chests in my kingdom (aka player housisng).
    Think i almost got them all too atleast all the regular players :p