Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World/Global Chat System

Hi! I've recently watched a video about taverns and how you can meet people there and find party members, etc. I really liked the idea, but in every other game I've played you can find parties from global chat, so that would hurt the game socialization. I don't see any reason for this game to have a global chat since it will only be used for bot spammers, troll comments, and spam and not give any significant value... It's such a bold idea but what do you guys think? Is global chat necessary? Wouldn't it make the game much more realistic and socializing and prevent many issues?

Comments

• Options
    There can be nearby area chat, whispers, party and guild chat though
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not supposed to be a global chat for the same reasons you stated.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface#In-game_chat
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I don't think global chat adds anything of value, it just negates aspects of intended game design.
    Areas should feel unique and local, just like how you expect Barrens chat to be a certain way in WoW.
  • Options
    thanks for the source bloodprophet! Lots of other good info there too, thank you! Really glad to finally see a game being developed with clever aspects and not follow the mmorpg trends
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

hey bloodprophet,
    which section says there's no global chat? I can't see it.

I know in alpha there was a global chat - have they made comment since?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    a server wide global chat will be outsourced to discord anyway.
    Ingame, it just doesn't serve a point.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    maouw wrote: »

hey bloodprophet,
    which section says there's no global chat? I can't see it.

I know in alpha there was a global chat - have they made comment since?

Was stated long time ago. They didn't want it to help fight gold sellers and to help reinforce the local community aspect of the game.
    At work right now give me a bit I'll look for the video. Couple hours.
    It was one of the early videos, maybe a Kickstarter video.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Bringing this up, having playing d4 i can say having no world chat ruined the sense of community on the server and further made it feel more like a single player-ish game. Even with the fact it was online only with a open world with a good handful of other players around. Things felt disconnected and dead not in a good way.

People found themselves using other discord to communicate, and those very discord used the power to their own advantage since players had no other choice to try to connect with people.
  • Options
    i wouldnt mind seeing a city wide general chat so inside of a node wall for example

• Options
    Warth wrote: »

Having to rely on a 3rd party app to communicate with other players in a MMO is f-tier design. D4, a massive MMOARPG with over 6million players, has no global chat and that makes the world feels so empty.
    The Steven giveth and the Steven taketh away
  • Options
    Toothpaste wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »

Having to rely on a 3rd party app to communicate with other players in a MMO is f-tier design. D4, a massive MMOARPG with over 6million players, has no global chat and that makes the world feels so empty.

Yup it was one of the worst disccusion they made. A mmorpg would be more connected than that, but D4 did things the worse way possible. Just being able to talk to people does a lot for the world. Also do to no global chat people just care less about talking in game in general since they had no reason to ever pay attention to chat.
  • Options
    I think discussing whether Global chat is beneficial or not to gameplay is fine, but I wouldn't eliminate it because of spammers. I wouldn't even consider spam in the discussion. There's so many ways for spammers to spam, I wouldn't want to even let them influence what chat channels we get or don't get, they're gonna spam either way. Make the game good for the players, and deal with the spammers independently.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    elucve wrote: »
    Hi! I've recently watched a video about taverns and how you can meet people there and find party members, etc. I really liked the idea, but in every other game I've played you can find parties from global chat, so that would hurt the game socialization. I don't see any reason for this game to have a global chat since it will only be used for bot spammers, troll comments, and spam and not give any significant value... It's such a bold idea but what do you guys think? Is global chat necessary? Wouldn't it make the game much more realistic and socializing and prevent many issues?

Global chat would make the game realistic?
    Like talking with others from the one side of the map to the other?

Global chat would be useful for grouping?
    As opposed to /area limits, in which people can talk to players in the vicinity, ABOUT THINHS IN THE VICINITY, without the spamming nonsense, that reaches stream chat speed?

The best mmos have:
    /general (immediate surrounding of a player)
    /pm (private message)
    /guild
    /party
    /raid command
    /trade (always found it pointless. Either you have it on at all times to find deals, but you are faced with the spam, or you turn it off and miss out)
    /shout (the largest range chat that spans across an entire hunting zone or city. This is the only meaningful chat for LFG or server drama.

Global chats are for mmos that dont respect the social aspect of the game. Global chats are for tiny, empty, shallow, lobby mmos.

Whoever the hell said that we shouldnt have to rely on 3rd pt programs to communite in a game and that global chat is essential to playing an mmo, must be 12 years old.
  • Options
    The best mmos have:
    /general (immediate surrounding of a player)
    /pm (private message)
    /guild
    /party
    /raid command
    /trade (always found it pointless. Either you have it on at all times to find deals, but you are faced with the spam, or you turn it off and miss out)
    /shout (the largest range chat that spans across an entire hunting zone or city. This is the only meaningful chat for LFG or server drama.

For Ashes, I'd expect an Alliance Chat too, and also a Family Chat.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    taverns could be the lfg spot
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    Node chat should be fine, on top of the usual suspects like local, guild, alliance, group, and family I guess. Global chat with 10K players would be a nightmare. Node chat in a metro will be bad enough as it is.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Barrens Chat is the clearest counter argument to a global chat.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    In game global chat's probably not the best idea.

They're usually susceptible to things like:
    - Spams. RMTs, "leveling" service, account sales, scams, whatever.
    - ppl fighting over RL topics like politics & ideologies.
    - general trollling.
    ... and hence need to be heavily moderated if one exists, not to mention many ppl ignore or mute it anyway for the above reasons.

IMO it's better to outsource it to Discord as others have mentioned.
  • Options
    If we got node citizen chat i dont think we will need global chat and it also counts as a pug defence chat for your node too potentially
  • Options
    In game global chat's probably not the best idea.

They're usually susceptible to things like:
    - Spams. RMTs, "leveling" service, account sales, scams, whatever.
    - ppl fighting over RL topics like politics & ideologies.
    - general trollling.
    ... and hence need to be heavily moderated if one exists, not to mention many ppl ignore or mute it anyway for the above reasons.

IMO it's better to outsource it to Discord as others have mentioned.

Spam and RMt are not reasons to not have global chat, that is why you have GMs that can ban them. Which is money since there is a monthly sub per son banned.

So what people talk about RL stuff again not a reason to not have it, let people do what people do. Have blocking systems for people and have it done smartly so people have hear different areas of the map base on filters.

So what people troll, it really doesn't matter, that is pretty subjective as well, people can say anything is trolling. If you don't like someone block them, if you don't want to view global chat simply don't view it.

If people mute or ignore it, than it doesn't effect them, that should be an option and smart filters based on locations on the map.

You must have missed my post where i talk about discord, people abuse that and their power by controlling them lol. Forcing global discord servers for talking is not good, that is where drama actually can affect you and your experience if you are missing out on a tool others have.

Global chat connects people you have the good and the bad, but it helps make the world feel more alive. There is a reason why irl communication is so important and helped us progress. D4 as an example without any chat does not make the experience feel good, it hugely degrades any sense of community and world within the game. Everyone is forced to use random discords, and those discords abuse their powers, and in a game that will have drama that becomes much worse in relation to PvP.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    If we got node citizen chat i dont think we will need global chat and it also counts as a pug defence chat for your node too potentially

That should be a chat for sure i agree. But it shouldn't be limited to a singular node as ones with less people, it will further damage nodes since people will naturally want to move where they can communicate with more people.

Communicating with people is very important, even more so to casual players. again D4 not having global felt like utter trash and had the effect no one used any form of chat, everywhere was a ghost town.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I'm good with a global chat but it's something that can get messy fast
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    I'm good with a global chat but it's something that can get messy fast

I agree that is why it should be broken up in sections and allow players to toggle what they want. So have zones with each unique part of the map have their own chat based on location, and allow players to turn it on or off able to add more areas if they wished to do so. Whole also having node chats linked with the vassal system.

On top of that you limit how often people can speak based on the chat they are using. Could be once a minute, could be once every 3 minutes. Whatever makes sense and works. Limiting chat increases the value of how people use it, and can prevent constant back and forth discussion happening globally.
  • Options
    back and forth discussion is fun tho ;3
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    back and forth discussion is fun tho ;3

I agree lol, but some people have issues so simply presenting solutions. Though i also think most people are absolutely boring, and there response to to not answer anything trying to be mature. Some guilds are like that even if someone is crap talking them they don't answer and make rules of their guild members not to answer anything or defend them.

A way I'll never run my own guild lmao, if you don't have backbone you may as well be a npc.
  • Options
    Having a global chat with the scale of world Ashes is reported to have would be a ludicrous idea. What games even have that large of a chat available?
  • Options
    I'm with a group finder. I'd rather not see people spamming in a global chat. Just difficult to keep up with.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    I'm with a group finder. I'd rather not see people spamming in a global chat. Just difficult to keep up with.

There wont be a group finder in AoC, partly how it is designed is against that as well. Communication will be important to finding groups.
  • Options
    Gandryn wrote: »
    Having a global chat with the scale of world Ashes is reported to have would be a ludicrous idea. What games even have that large of a chat available?

That is why location filters and time limits on when you can post are important. That way people can limit how much they want to see and people can't talk 24/7 in global level chats.
  • Options
    filters are ok, time limits are ew >: