Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World/Global Chat System

Comments

• Options
    not only you want to force the spam of global chat on people but you want them to filter and un filter shit day and night... what a joke.

Without a wall text I explained to you that LFG as an argument for is stupid.
    Communication? Sad...
    Sense of community with global chat? It just makes the game feel small when you can hear one clown for the other side of the map talking about things of 0 relevance to the vicinity.
    As for the whole discord thing.... what a stupid argument is this? Who the fvck is using discord with 10000 spamming? And why would I want that ingame?

0 uses for global chat. Again, you have no idea what you are talking about, as with every other time you post.
    Imagine wanting global chat instead of regional chat. But anyway... you prolly dont even understand what a regional chat is. fvck it. Enough time spent on this thread. Global chat is for lame mmos. Spam to the fullest.
    When people want to put a message out there they want a response. They want relevance to the region they are in, whether it is LFG or a question or trading.

Anything said on global chat invites stupid and irrelevant answers.

10,000? I was in a discord with half a million people and using it without any issues with the LFG channels lmao?

So clearly a damn lot of people need ways to communicate and seek it, you are living in a small world and most likely will be irrelevant in pvp if you don't understand what people want. both casually and of course if you plan to win in pvp competitive.

It really isn't that is why you can't actually put together a reasoning why you think it is "stupid" for people looking for group to be able to use chats in such a way or it.

Your rp reasons of making the world small is not a valid reasoning against it, if you want to do your rp without global chats or discord, don't use them and keep the rp to yourself and whole who do it with you.

When you want to start looking at reality, stop bringing up rp reasons for no forms of global chat (done in the way i suggest in filters by zones).

Relevance, is subjective to each is their own. With wars and politics going on many things can be relevant to people

I know what regional chat is, it is the same as zone. Which players should have access to all zones to talk and view what is needed for them.

Again communication is key, even more so when it is a group based game for content, even more so when you are talking about competitive guilds and pvp so they do not have the sole advantage. There is a reason why you get half a million people in a discord, you have been living in a small bubble too long. Eventually reality is going to hit you in the face when AoC gets closer to release.
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Mag7spy you just admitted to using discord with many players and lfg channels, so why the hell do you want global chat. All that stuff is covered for you there. Why if people want to join the discord they can and use it the way you are using it and have those conversations. But for the rest of us, leave us alone and save us from your spamming tactics.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2023
    Ravicus wrote: »
    @Mag7spy you just admitted to using discord with many players and lfg channels, so why the hell do you want global chat. All that stuff is covered for you there. Why if people want to join the discord they can and use it the way you are using it and have those conversations. But for the rest of us, leave us alone and save us from your spamming tactics.

I just said a bunch of points as the reason why above in my large post...global chat being in discords is a issue.

Spamming tactics, you know you can turn it off right and adjust your ui. This isn't about spam, u literally just don't want people to be able to communicate in game lol. If it was about you not wanting to see it, the conversation would be done at you turn it off and don't pay attention to that chat. Or you only have your current zone and all other zones turned off.

*edit i like how you say us. I wonder if you realize more people care about chat than the ones that don't want it. The ones that don't use forums and other such things since they just want to use what is in game. So long as it does what they need.
  • Options
    @George_Black there I changed I my display picture
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

I just said a bunch of points as the reason why above in my large post...global chat being in discords is a issue.

Spamming tactics, you know you can turn it off right and adjust your ui. This isn't about spam, u literally just don't want people to be able to communicate in game lol. If it was about you not wanting to see it, the conversation would be done at you turn it off and don't pay attention to that chat. Or you only have your current zone and all other zones turned off.

*edit i like how you say us. I wonder if you realize more people care about chat than the ones that don't want it. The ones that don't use forums and other such things since they just want to use what is in game. So long as it does what they need.

putting words in my mouth and saying what you think I am or what I think is just assumption and a tactic for people who do not have an argument. I gave you reasons, you refuse to acknowledge them. You say I just want to stop people from communicating, no, I just do not want global chat. Plenty of communication. Also many, many use voice programs, via discord or others. Yes there is problems with discord but it is there. It IS global chat. It is a LFG. If you do not like it you are missing out. There is no lack of communication there, or regional chat, or guild chat, or whispers. So you can just keep replying but in all reality we should agree to disagree because I am pretty set in my OPINION.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options

putting words in my mouth and saying what you think I am or what I think is just assumption and a tactic for people who do not have an argument. I gave you reasons, you refuse to acknowledge them. You say I just want to stop people from communicating, no, I just do not want global chat. Plenty of communication. Also many, many use voice programs, via discord or others. Yes there is problems with discord but it is there. It IS global chat. It is a LFG. If you do not like it you are missing out. There is no lack of communication there, or regional chat, or guild chat, or whispers. So you can just keep replying but in all reality we should agree to disagree because I am pretty set in my OPINION.

You didn't give reasons you said the world feels small, that is fully in relation to RP and not the actual game. Your other reason was in terms of the market which makes no sense since the market will do what it will do, and people will use discord to communicate which doesn't change anything.

Then it is simply out of selfishness, since you seem to be on bored it is fine everywhere else (though not caring of the issue those bring and you have not mentioned any solutions or comments on them).

Discord should not be used as the main global chat, things should be done in game. The reasons that will weigh on me more are the people who enjoy the communication and use the communication to find groups, communities and keeping a edge in pvp or game politics.

As i stated before i gave a large group of points on negative impacts without it and reasons for global chat to be a thing. If people want it they should have it as it doesn't impact your gameplay experience. Discord is a thing, so having chat stay in game is a positive and any personal issues you have in global chat are unavoidable.

• Options

You didn't give reasons you said the world feels small, that is fully in relation to RP and not the actual game. Your other reason was in terms of the market which makes no sense since the market will do what it will do, and people will use discord to communicate which doesn't change anything.

Then it is simply out of selfishness, since you seem to be on bored it is fine everywhere else (though not caring of the issue those bring and you have not mentioned any solutions or comments on them).

Discord should not be used as the main global chat, things should be done in game. The reasons that will weigh on me more are the people who enjoy the communication and use the communication to find groups, communities and keeping a edge in pvp or game politics.

As i stated before i gave a large group of points on negative impacts without it and reasons for global chat to be a thing. If people want it they should have it as it doesn't impact your gameplay experience. Discord is a thing, so having chat stay in game is a positive and any personal issues you have in global chat are unavoidable.

blah blah blah, you keep saying the same thing over and cannot even comprehend mine. I understand your position and disagree with it. If you want to keep pounding the same reteric over and over again, swinging it like a hammer, its still not going to work. You cast many assumptions of motive and you even mentioned I talked about RP. Where did I once say RP. Na, you just want to REEEEEEE and screem till people agree with you because we just want you to shut up.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Personally, I like the idea of having to rock up to a tavern to get group members.

I'm pretty anti-social in some ways, but even I like this. It feels almost role-playish and much more personal.

But then, I tend to turn global chat off due to unpleasant/immature/heated real world debates. Global chat, for me, tends to be a big immersion breaker.
    "A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." —J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    @George_Black there I changed I my display picture

Good dog. Or still bot.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    So, this thread is a great example of why global chat would be pointless.

Last I remember hearing about it from Intrepid, Steven said there were no plans for global chat, but that may change.

I don't think I have ever played a game with 10k concurrent population servers and a global chat channel - and I don't think I would want to.
  • Options
    Organized groups won't use chat ingame anyway. They will always go to discord. Granular permissions, better access, can tag people or groups of people that you can create yourself.
    Unless IS creates something like that, majority will use discord.
    For casuals it doesn't matter what you give them, they'll use what they have.
  • Options
    Global chat is just spam. And whoever said that they need global chat because they dont want to sit an hour LFG, this is the dumbest thing I read in a while.

What are you taking about? You gonna LFG from the one side of the world and you reckon somebody is going to recruit you from the other side of the world? What are you gonna do? Teleport to them?
    What use do you have for the global smapchat? What are the benefits of global chat over regional chat? Nobody is going to globally LFG in AoC.
    Do people even think before they type? Global chat is the same thing as discord. A scrolling wall of text, for people that "need to feel connected", typing one word sentences, with 1000 parallel one word sentence conversations, feeding a false sense of community and belonging.
    Just spam. 0 usage.

yes. you are outside farming, fighting etc, then recruit people on the other side of the world, then meet and do whatever you were going to do.

the point is you can be doing other things while recruiting at the same time, instead of sitting on one spot doing nothing else but recruiting.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2023

blah blah blah, you keep saying the same thing over and cannot even comprehend mine. I understand your position and disagree with it. If you want to keep pounding the same reteric over and over again, swinging it like a hammer, its still not going to work. You cast many assumptions of motive and you even mentioned I talked about RP. Where did I once say RP. Na, you just want to REEEEEEE and screem till people agree with you because we just want you to shut up.

Saying it makes the world feel small is literally RP.

End of the day i made points and you can't deny any of them, that is the reality.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    The vast majority of this thread is a tangible example of why I dislike global chat.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Global chat 100% just turns into a spam fest. Buy this carry, did you hear about this political event, etc. Discord will be most players main source of communication anyways. I can understand say, whisper, party chat, siege chat. Beyond that I doubt many other forms of communicating is necessary. Plus by eliminating a world chat the other chats will be utilized more.
  • Options
    turn it off then T_T
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I know Discord will be guild-mandated but I wish AoC would have an in-house option just as effective
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    turn it off then T_T

Its not about turning it off, people don't want others to have access to it.

1. because they think others will have an edge and don't understand discord still exist
    2. people that plan to run large guilds want people unorganized so people can't challenge them so they can own the server.
    3. They want to make their discord the server discord.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Well, I’d say to have a better cadence on node progression - everyone doesn’t have to know everything right when it happens.

Slowing instant gratification is a good strategy for the game’s longevity.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Well, I’d say to have a better cadence on node progression - everyone doesn’t have to know everything right when it happens.

Slowing instant gratification is a good strategy for the game’s longevity.

Anything important everyone will know, discord will share all the information. People knowing shouldn't be a reason to stop people from communicating. The game being designed to have travel time and such is the key even if people know things, they still need to commit time to get around. Some people might not have a means to get around either (unless npc boats travel the sea at the start of the game).

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    If discord already exists, why do you need a global chat then? Why dilute locality of players so damn much?

If anything, I see global chat as one of the biggest fomo features if it was in Ashes. Imagine some pvper who just wants to have fun seeing a ton of chatter from the other continent, but it would take him 20-30 minutes to get there, when all the fun is already over. Now he doesn't only feel bad about missing out, but feels doubly bad because he left his preferred location w/o any form of reward. And no, imo, "spending time" is not a "risk", so this situation wouldn't fall under the risk/reward equation.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    If discord already exists, why do you need a global chat then?

There is no guarantee that Discord will exist tomorrow.

There is even less of a guarantee that it will be free to use, or that it will be able to be used in the same way.

Look at Twitch. Look at Reddit. Look at Twitter.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »

There is even less of a guarantee that it will be free to use, or that it will be able to be used in the same way.

And look at all the copies that pop up to "replace" those. Well, not for reddit cause ain't nobody wants to replace that mess.

So if discord disappears, people will either go back to their previous communication channels or find a new one.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

And look at all the copies that pop up to "replace" those. Well, not for reddit cause ain't nobody wants to replace that mess.

So if discord disappears, people will either go back to their previous communication channels or find a new one.

The problem is, the reason these services are having trouble right now is because they arent able to attract any venture capital.

Reddit and Discord have never made a profit. Any service that comes in to replace them either also wont make a profit, or will have to have a monetization system that will see many people not want to, or not be able to use them.

We are quite possibly nearing the end of free internet services like this.

I wouldnt be making a multi-million dollar investment in anything that relied on there being a ubiquitous service such as Discord in the future.
  • Options
    If discord already exists, why do you need a global chat then? Why dilute locality of players so damn much?

If anything, I see global chat as one of the biggest fomo features if it was in Ashes. Imagine some pvper who just wants to have fun seeing a ton of chatter from the other continent, but it would take him 20-30 minutes to get there, when all the fun is already over. Now he doesn't only feel bad about missing out, but feels doubly bad because he left his preferred location w/o any form of reward. And no, imo, "spending time" is not a "risk", so this situation wouldn't fall under the risk/reward equation.

I explain this in my points about global chat in relation to discord. I'm guessing some people here don't use multiple community discords and understand the numbers in them and how they work. It can be a issue when you are forced to use that tool giving more power to the server owners.

If it exist in discord than here should be no issue for it to exist in game where chat control is more neutral. If you don't wan to listen or read it turning it off is an option.

My question for you is if you are in a server discord, where you have a lot of interactions, recruitment, group forming chats, politics, etc. Its something you use quite a bit even more so for pvp and guild war relation stuff as you talk with others. And you and your guild get removed from it over some form of drama. Do you not see a issue with that?

Also anyone trying to use arguments like something won't exist is simply trying to kill conversation around the entire point. Ie if discord won't exist there is no point in talking about it, etc. 0 Evidence leads tot that, it is a manipulative tactic pretty much. Though it is kind of the mo. for that person to manipulate information so nothing new there.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited July 2023
    My question for you is if you are in a server discord, where you have a lot of interactions, recruitment, group forming chats, politics, etc. Its something you use quite a bit even more so for pvp and guild war relation stuff as you talk with others. And you and your guild get removed from it over some form of drama. Do you not see a issue with that?
    What kind of discord server are we talking here though? Are we talking official server that serves as a "global" chat for the game or are we talking about random private servers that would in fact be able to just kick anyone they want?

Because those private servers are literally just "local" chats in the game. Just as a guild can be spread all over the game's world and have a "global" chat through their guild one, a discord server can have people from all those points on the map and also us discord as a "global" chat.

If we're talking about private servers - I wouldn't give a shit. Mainly because I'm gonna make my own discord about my node of choice and will advertise it and not kick anyone from it (outside of racist shit and all those standard reasons). But I'll be making it as just a tool for people to keep in touch outside of the game.

Why I don't want a global chat is because it usually becomes the main chat, because it's the one where everything happens and people want to pay attention to that. So you can't really "just turn it off" if you want to know what's happening.

It's the "twitter effect". Everyone hates twitter, but a ton of people stay on it even through its shitty features and choices, because it's "the global chat" of the current world. I don't want to have "fucking twitter" in Ashes. I want "forums" that split people into local groups (mainly nodes and guilds) that become way more tightknit because of that.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a hardcore pvp thread. Damn I didn't realize world chat was so divisive. Get 1100 - 0'd Mag ya freakin default pfp bot lol

I will consult my advisors and make a decision on world chat tomorrow. Just remember, whatever I decide, Ashes isn't for everyone and that's ok.
  • Options
    What kind of discord server are we talking here though? Are we talking official server that serves as a "global" chat for the game or are we talking about random private servers that would in fact be able to just kick anyone they want?

Because those private servers are literally just "local" chats in the game. Just as a guild can be spread all over the game's world and have a "global" chat through their guild one, a discord server can have people from all those points on the map and also server as a "global" chat.

If we're talking about private servers - I wouldn't give a shit. Mainly because I'm gonna make my own discord about my node of choice and will advertise it and not kick anyone from it (outside of racist shit and all those standard reasons). But I'll be making it as just a tool for people to keep in touch outside of the game.

Why I don't want a global chat is because it usually becomes the main chat, because it's the one where everything happens and people want to pay attention to that. So you can't really "just turn it off" if you want to know what's happening.

It's the "twitter effect". Everyone hates twitter, but a ton of people stay on it even through its shitty features and choices, because it's "the global chat" of the current world. I don't want to have "fucking twitter" in Ashes. I want "forums" that split people into local groups (mainly nodes and guilds) that become way more tightknit because of that.

Per server how people are going to be looking for groups/etc will be private discords created by people. You might create your own around a node but the ones people will be joining are going to be what will be considered the server discord that people feel is the main discord. This is going to be decided by numbers and all the main guilds on it.

The ones in charge of it are going to be the big guilds (this was the case with new world I was mod on one of these discords and my guild absorbed ownership from recruiting).

When it comes to commination nd such i don't really care about the anti bandwagon thing. Even if you were it doesn't matter because this kind of chat is going to exist one way or another. So it is better to just have multiple sources of it in game and in discord. That way people can't be excluded over stupidness / drama/ or simply just have access to it if they prefer it.

Just like you hate twitter, etc there will be people that dislike using discord, facebook, or other means. Having it in game for them is the most fair thing so now they are not forced to use social media
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited July 2023
    It's a no from me dawg. Global chat is for 10 year olds arguing and spammers. Global chat would contradict intended game design of localized economies, node/social systems and organizations. Same reason why there's no teleporting to the other side of the world instantly, group finder or global auction house. They're trying to get people to socialize/interact with one another and the world in a Massively Multiplayer game. I know, crazy right?

They're trying to limit players from sweeping through the map like a swarm of locusts anytime there's something of interest, like a War, Node Siege or World Boss spawn. They don't want people broadcasting to the world anytime there's something important going on and having the whole Server show up, that completely ruins the game.

If you want to do something like that you're going to have to work a little bit for it. Create a guild of snitches, make friends with players from different regions you can communicate with. There are still plenty of other chat channels you can use that are better overall (local, whisper, shout, node/region, guild, alliance). As many have said, there will also be player made Discords dedicated to their Server, but will not be nearly as far reaching as a Global Chat would be.
  • Options
    If discord already exists, why do you need a global chat then?

so i dont have to alt tab every 10 seconds.