Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World/Global Chat System

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    global chat also has the advantage of letting the player population know when a certain mob or world event (assuming we get these) are up
  • Options
    PhlightPhlight Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've never been a fan of any global chat. However, I'm not against it. Those who want a global chat can utilize it, and those who don't want it can mute it. I never viewed global chat necessary. It will depend on how global chat is utilized by the player base. If it became the main channel for party creation and trading of goods then I'd have to use it.
  • Options
    I personally like global chat. It always new players to get quick answers to questions and for large collections of players to organize. I don't think there is a good reason to exclude it from the game. I'd love reading the drama between guilds and nodes in real time.
  • Options
    Am just fine without a global chat.

Hated it in SWTOR.

SWG (both the live game and SWG: Legends, now) have systems more-similar to AoC's planned chat-systems, and it works fine. In SWG we could/can have player-made channels that you could see across all worlds and opt into - only if you wanted to see stuff in those channels.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    A piece of feedback for Intrepid from me: pls no global chat. Thx
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Caww wrote: »
    global chat also has the advantage of letting the player population know when a certain mob or world event (assuming we get these) are up

Great... have fun with the zergfest like eso dolmens and ff14 fates.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2023
    Zerg fest won't change, it just means you have no means to push back against it unable to use world chat or ask for help and again need to rely on discord (worse place for it).

Zergs will use their own discords for that so nothing changes.

Often i feel people don't understand how important these types of things are and don't want global chat for reasons that are not as strong. Even if some reasons were valid again playing new games without global chat you can see issues with it. More experience reinforced my own view point with how bad things were done and lack of communication.

Most people want ways to communicate, forcing discord as sole way to communicate is not what most people will want with the draw backs and rules enforced / mods abusing power.

To me i feel the pattern is "I don't like interacting with a large amount of people so I don't want anyone to be able to do it."

global chat

1. Forced to use discords meaning you need to look off the game to interact with communities within the game.
    2. Using discords that are made and controlled by others can diminish the experience if the is the sole source of communicating with other globally / zone wide. Mods can set strict rules, use it as a means to control people within it, and abuse mod powers. Meaning certain players will feel greatly less left or with less tools, this is even more strong if drama is related in the game.
    3. Though the issue shouldn't be ad bad as D4, no global chat lowers the sense of community and gives people less reason to pay attention to chat or use it. In d4 it was done so badly people just did not use chat at all.
    4. Zergs can use global chat is no different than what they mainly would be using in discord and not making their zerg as well known. You have the opposite effect where organized guilds will be more effective and any smaller guild will not be able to use any kind of chat to counter a zerg. Effectively you are giving a free win to zerg guilds doing as they please do to lack of communication.
    5. There is no group finder so players need even more a means of finding groups and working together, communication is key and reducing players ability to find groups and talk to people drives up the difficulty. This in turn could lead to players leaving not being able to do content, and/r not finding a good group to play with.
    6. SPAM / RMT Are not reason to not have global chat, this kind of issue is more easily solved do to a month sub cost. For every spammer that gets banned, is money IS is making.
    7. Don't like topics in global chat or certain people. You can easily block people, ignore chat or simply not use global chat if it doesn't suit you. Your non use of it does not effect another. If the desire is i don't want to use it so i don't want them to have an advantage that is just plain silly. If you don't want to communicate with people than that issue is for yourself to work out and should not be negatively impacting others that do.
    8. People complain that too many people talk too much is not a reason for no global chat. You can have filters to do it by zone allowing people to talk to the zones they want, you can also have a CD how how often you talk in chat. This reduces discussion from going back and forth in global between the same individuals.
    9. Reducing the amount of people to communicate making smaller and newer guilds have more a difficulty growing. Allowing larger guilds to more easily get to the top first and benefit from holding it for a longer period of time.

No matter what you think large groups and guilds will use discord, they will do what they want and communicate easily nothing you can do will stop that. If there is a larger guild you don't like, you are effectively giving them free power on the server by making sure no one else can largely communicate but them.

Edit * Mods are trash on these types of games on discord. I've been affected both ways being in a discord as a member, and also being a mod of on a discord where it was the dedicated server discord for the mmo. no one needs to be forced to be subjected to this for 0 reason mainly when it comes to games that involve pvp drama.
  • Options
    Listen kid, we played mmos before discord and had no global chat. 0 problems.
    I had to shut down global chat in bdo because of the nonsense rolling in there, any time I was interested in something I had to scroll up for two minutes and read, only to realize that the person was far far far away from me to bother.

The global chat has 0 uses. What dont you get? Mmos need regional chats. Ffs
  • Options
    Listen kid, we played mmos before discord and had no global chat. 0 problems.
    I had to shut down global chat in bdo because of the nonsense rolling in there, any time I was interested in something I had to scroll up for two minutes and read, only to realize that the person was far far far away from me to bother.

The global chat has 0 uses. What dont you get? Mmos need regional chats. Ffs

Who you calling kid, Did you play EQ1 at launch like me?

I've played games ages ago int he past, done the Ventrilo and TeamSpeak stuff. That is not the time anymore and why i brought up a lot of points, the time now is discord. If you as a gamer can not stay relevant with current software and understand the benefits and issues. I hope you aren't trying to be competitive in AoC, you will get left in the dust.

If you don't like global chat than that is what you do you close it. And you don't need to worry about it and it doesn't effect you.

If there is something you want to read it takes 2 seconds to scroll up unless you don't do it at the same time. Playing BDO for years there never was a point where i needed to scroll for minutes, that is pretty cap. You most likely had all chats combined together in one instead of separating them.

Global chats have plenty of uses, it allows you to communicate with people all around.

I can tell you did not read my post since i mention multiple zone chats and being able to talk to whichever one you want.

If you feel something is not a use for you how does not using it affect you negatively?
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I say no to global chat. It makes the world to small. I would be for Freehold chats, guild chats and such. And with filters. As stated before, the majority is on discord anyway. I for one do not want to hear all the shit talk and plain jackassery over a global chat.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    i want global chat uwu

i dont wanna have to sit for one hour at 1 spot spamming lfg until enough people who are interested in doing the same thing happen to be walking nearby
  • Options
    Ravicus wrote: »
    I say no to global chat. It makes the world to small. I would be for Freehold chats, guild chats and such. And with filters. As stated before, the majority is on discord anyway. I for one do not want to hear all the shit talk and plain jackassery over a global chat.

Why dont you jsut turn off global chat, why does that need to be forced on others who need to use it. And don't want to deal with the issues that come with discord? What is the difference if people are using discord the world still becomes small?
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Why dont you jsut turn off global chat, why does that need to be forced on others who need to use it. And don't want to deal with the issues that come with discord? What is the difference if people are using discord the world still becomes small?

because it becomes something you have to painfully listen to. It makes it a single marketplace tying all the freeholds together. For me that takes away the large expansive world to me. It shrinks it down. Pretty soon all the crafters are gathered in one marketplace and the rest become empty, except for when they are crafting. If you played UO in the past everyone sat in LUNA bank, and all the rest of the world was dead. In wow everyone was in ogrimar or in stormwind. The other cities where dead. If I had a choice I would implement something like regional/freehold chat and you had to be in the tavern to hear it. So world chat if implemented is a painful thing that you have to listen to if you want to listen for people selling their wares amongst little johnny telling others that he ran out of toilet paper and when using the last one his finger broke through. Or the classic pvp arguments calling each other weak and pathetic and "You cheated" and all kinds of just childish shit you have to put up with if you are trying to listen for actual people advertising or looking for other players. I just dont like it. Its not immursive and its just shitty.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options

because it becomes something you have to painfully listen to. It makes it a single marketplace tying all the freeholds together. For me that takes away the large expansive world to me. It shrinks it down. Pretty soon all the crafters are gathered in one marketplace and the rest become empty, except for when they are crafting. If you played UO in the past everyone sat in LUNA bank, and all the rest of the world was dead. In wow everyone was in ogrimar or in stormwind. The other cities where dead. If I had a choice I would implement something like regional/freehold chat and you had to be in the tavern to hear it. So world chat if implemented is a painful thing that you have to listen to if you want to listen for people selling their wares amongst little johnny telling others that he ran out of toilet paper and when using the last one his finger broke through. Or the classic pvp arguments calling each other weak and pathetic and "You cheated" and all kinds of just childish shit you have to put up with if you are trying to listen for actual people advertising or looking for other players. I just dont like it. Its not immursive and its just shitty.

You don't need to listen to it, you simply turn it off. Market places still gather people will decide that on discord nothing changes...It is up to the game to make the market interesting and not all at once place with their designs. Trying to blame these things on global chat doesn't make sense.

Even if you do want to blame it, it isn't about listening to people its because you don't want people to have access to communicating with more people. Again it doesn't matter that will be done by discord, and people will abuse mod powers, and deal with things that can ruin the experience for them.

You are only hurting other players at the end of the day. Anything you dislike about peoples access to communication won't matter since discords will do it.

Personally i have no issue with drama and childish stuff since that is pretty subjective based on what is being said. Your desire to not like it is fine, why does that need to affect other players that use it when you can mute it or them? Why remove a tool people enjoy that help creates their sense of community good and bad?
  • Options

You don't need to listen to it, you simply turn it off. Market places still gather people will decide that on discord nothing changes...It is up to the game to make the market interesting and not all at once place with their designs. Trying to blame these things on global chat doesn't make sense.

Even if you do want to blame it, it isn't about listening to people its because you don't want people to have access to communicating with more people. Again it doesn't matter that will be done by discord, and people will abuse mod powers, and deal with things that can ruin the experience for them.

You are only hurting other players at the end of the day. Anything you dislike about peoples access to communication won't matter since discords will do it.

Personally i have no issue with drama and childish stuff since that is pretty subjective based on what is being said. Your desire to not like it is fine, why does that need to affect other players that use it when you can mute it or them? Why remove a tool people enjoy that help creates their sense of community good and bad?

you are debating my opinion which is subjective. You have your opinion, I have mine. Just let it rest.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Kid, I told you you eithet miss out on things of interest or you deal with the spam. That's what global chat does. It's useless. We need regional chat.
  • Options
    Global chat is just spam. And whoever said that they need global chat because they dont want to sit an hour LFG, this is the dumbest thing I read in a while.

What are you taking about? You gonna LFG from the one side of the world and you reckon somebody is going to recruit you from the other side of the world? What are you gonna do? Teleport to them?
    What use do you have for the global smapchat? What are the benefits of global chat over regional chat? Nobody is going to globally LFG in AoC.
    Do people even think before they type? Global chat is the same thing as discord. A scrolling wall of text, for people that "need to feel connected", typing one word sentences, with 1000 parallel one word sentence conversations, feeding a false sense of community and belonging.
    Just spam. 0 usage.
  • Options
    Global chat is just spam. And whoever said that they need global chat because they dont want to sit an hour LFG, this is the dumbest thing I read in a while.

What are you taking about? You gonna LFG from the one side of the world and you reckon somebody is going to recruit you from the other side of the world? What are you gonna do? Teleport to them?
    What use do you have for the global smapchat? What are the benefits of global chat over regional chat? Nobody is going to globally LFG in AoC.
    Do people even think before they type? Global chat is the same thing as discord. A scrolling wall of text, for people that "need to feel connected", typing one word sentences, with 1000 parallel one word sentence conversations, feeding a false sense of community and belonging.
    Just spam. 0 usage.

Kid, buddy it isn't spam, you clearly don't understand how global chat works and have paid attention to it. You know what you do if u don't care about global chat, you don't pay attention to it kid.

You may be a solo player that does not care about being connected, and childish not wanting others to use things they enjoy for tools that help them. If you played more games and connected with more communities you would have gained the proper experience on this stuff kid.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    You just try to attack me with asumptions.
    Again, global chat has 0 uses. It's just irrelevant spam. You cant lfg due to distance and no tp, and you cant read anything of value to due spam.

You only need regional chat. You are the one that doesnt understand regional chat. And for fucks sake use a god damn avatar after all this time. You bot
  • Options
    You just try to attack me with asumptions.
    Again, global chat has 0 uses. It's just irrelevant spam. You cant lfg due to distance and no tp, and you cant read anything of value to due spam.

You only need regional chat. You are the one that doesn't understand regional chat. And for fucks sake use a god damn avatar after all this time. You bot

Attack you??? Kid i listed off a bunch of points, and you have not talked about them or gave any relevant counter points to anything i listed.

I can tell you lack actual experience with these games. jumping on a mmo and playing it casually not understanding chat or what people are talking about does not mean it is spam.

If you want to say something worthwhile kid, talk about the points i listed.
  • Options
    @George_Black just imagine @Mag7spy in global chat? lol This is the reason for no global chat.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    You know who argue with age as their "weapon"? Kids. Which means that yall both are kids.

Also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQK6t2Esng
  • Options
    @George_Black just imagine @Mag7spy in global chat? lol This is the reason for no global chat.

Not really, I would show up and flag up on him and he be quiet. Can't answer my points but can start rambling about nonsense anyone can do that.

I addressed a lot of points in my post, this type of thing included being addressed.

@NiKr I'm just speaking in a language he understands.
  • Options

Not really, I would show up and flag up on him and he be quiet. Can't answer my points but can start rambling about nonsense anyone can do that.

I addressed a lot of points in my post, this type of thing included being addressed.

You are not making any points. It'd kill you 100 times in pvp and then pk you 1000 more.
  • Options
    Global chat is useless, regional chat can work for LFG and market + plus pvp drama.
    Everybody is in the same region. Everybody can interact with each other.

Globsl chat is just a chaotic spam for ppl looking for company. Little did they know that anything they type there gets lost in the rolling wall of spamtext. But hey. They have the delusion of "chatting". Just like you mag, have the delusion that we need global chat over area, regional, shout, whatever you wanna call it.
  • Options

You are not making any points. It'd kill you 100 times in pvp and then pk you 1000 more.

I would destroy you in this game, and i certainly would destroy you in shadowbane being one of the strongest character on the server lmfao

How about you actually scroll up, view and read the point and made and we go from there. I guarantee you won't bring counter arguments to any of those points and solutions.

Again it feels like you didn't read my post about filters based on zones and toggling what you want on. Someone that wants to view everything has no effect on your playstyle.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Edit: I thought you where talking about global chat, not flagging for pvp, but the point is just listen to yourself, and what you are just saying is basically the crap that people say in global chat. Filling the chat with shit people do not want to hear. I say no to global chat.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options

ya you would be the guy to flag people, you are THAT guy. It already shows. So what would be the good of global chat if you want to silence people you do not agree with. Another reason for no global chat.

Because communicating with people can also get you help and a lot of other things. The good and bad is both what makes a community interesting and fun with communication needed.

Someone talks crap a nd comes to flag up on you, people might come to also get you or come to protect you. You might not care for it, but there are people that do, again you lose nothing for them having access to it.

People that run their mouths should be dealt with, unless they have the power to hold up to it. I don't see your connection between two people having a issue and trying to use that as a reason for no global chat.

My question is are you the type to use discords, and what would you do if you were kicked from said discord you used to find parties because someone didn't like you?

As i said above i made a bunch of points, you are free to give counter points and other solutions..
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    not only you want to force the spam of global chat on people but you want them to filter and un filter shit day and night... what a joke.

Without a wall text I explained to you that LFG as an argument for is stupid.
    Communication? Sad...
    Sense of community with global chat? It just makes the game feel small when you can hear one clown for the other side of the map talking about things of 0 relevance to the vicinity.
    As for the whole discord thing.... what a stupid argument is this? Who the fvck is using discord with 10000 spamming? And why would I want that ingame?

0 uses for global chat. Again, you have no idea what you are talking about, as with every other time you post.
    Imagine wanting global chat instead of regional chat. But anyway... you prolly dont even understand what a regional chat is. fvck it. Enough time spent on this thread. Global chat is for lame mmos. Spam to the fullest.

When people want to put a message out there they want a response. They want relevance to:
    the region they are in,
    whether it is LFG
    or a question
    or trading.

Anything said on global chat invites stupid and irrelevant answers. Plus you have to scroll up 5 minutes to find whoever replied to you, due to all the spam from EVERY CORNER OF THE GAME, only to be dissapointed by some troll.
  • Options

ya you would be the guy to flag people, you are THAT guy. It already shows. So what would be the good of global chat if you want to silence people you do not agree with. Another reason for no global chat.

Because communicating with people can also get you help and a lot of other things. The good and bad is both what makes a community interesting and fun with communication needed.

Someone talks crap a nd comes to flag up on you, people might come to also get you or come to protect you. You might not care for it, but there are people that do, again you lose nothing for them having access to it.

People that run their mouths should be dealt with, unless they have the power to hold up to it. I don't see your connection between two people having a issue and trying to use that as a reason for no global chat.

My question is are you the type to use discords, and what would you do if you were kicked from said discord you used to find parties because someone didn't like you?

As i said above i made a bunch of points, you are free to give counter points and other solutions..

I don't have to counter anything. All this is is your opinion. I have my opinion. Its subjective and although you are trying to influince my opinion you are actually making me more firm in mine. You want to call for help, use guild chat, or regional chat, or zone chat, what ever its called. But if they are not in the zone sure as hell the fight will be over before he could get there if he is not in the region. Acting like a peacock strutting his feathers and boasting is nothing I want to hear over global chat. Hell I don't even want to hear it in regional chat, but it will be more minimal that everyone one one channel hogging up the air waves. People will still talk in region chat, and maybe even get time in to actually sell their goods without getting stepped on by hyped up jackasses running their mouthes at each other.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png