Ranger stealth

Rather than just going invisible, I think it would be a more interesting mechanic if a ranger had an ability to change either their cloak/cape/clothes camo to better suit the terrain they are in.

For example - you are about to start a fight in a forested area, you spot who you are going to fight a ways off and hit your camo ability. your cloak takes on the color of the trees and bark around you and it turns off your name above your head until you fire your first shot.

The fight starts not going your way so you retreat to more mountainous terrain and break line of sight and camo again to better hide from the people chasing you.

I think this could be a more interesting mechanic and might be possible with how they have done seasons in the game and changing how things look.

id love to hear others thoughts on this. thanks.

Comments

• Hard to do.
    Even harder to do well.

Lots of unnecessary development time for close to no benefit compared to simply yanking up transparancy to 9X%
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022
    Maybe you could have a Ranger Stealth Pack in your "Cloak" slot, that determines what you look like. A Boulder Stealth Pack makes you look like a boulder, a Bush Stealth Pack makes you look like a bush, etc?

So, if you really wanted to go into it in depth, you could have a different one for each biome you frequent.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • @daveywavey never saw a single game where transformatives like these worked well at all. You were always spotted easily.

I just think it wouldn't be any different here and prefer Rangers not lose an important part of their kit just because we fought it smart to give them some gimmicky garbage rather than a valid tool
  • DizzDizz Member
    edited August 2022
    Why ranger should able to be stealth? I thought that is rogue thing.

If you are talking about ranger+rogue, ok, I think that the form of stealth is easy to do hots already had that, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

Plus I don’t like the idea of ranger+rogue will be able to just go into stealth, it should be rogue’s identity. If you mean shoot one arrow than able to be stealth for a while then I will agree with you.
    A casual follower from TW.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Rogues and Rangers can or have both had stealth in the past. Both in DnD and in other MMOs. Its not unheard of for Rangers to have stealth especially when there are rangers in a game but no rogues.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • The Gondor Rangers had stealth in LOTR.

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This isn't D&D or LOTR.

Seems like it was mentioned early on it was a rouge primary archetype skill.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Ashes is Pathfinder.

We don't have enough details about Ranger/x to know whether the devs plan to give them Stealth.
    Seems likely.
    We might get a dev quote if someone asks the devs that specific question.
  • as9i3ypfptzm.png
    Oh! That quote's from 5 days ago...while I was at family reunion.
    Nice!
    Camouflage is what I would expect from a Ranger. We'll have to see how well that works in the game.
  • DizzDizz Member
    edited August 2022
    Morg7x7 wrote: »
    as9i3ypfptzm.png

Quite well thought to me if the camouflage can be replace by a carton will be better.
    https://youtu.be/MS8OawQegYE
  • SmolSmol Member
    Warth wrote: »
    Hard to do.
    Even harder to do well.

Lots of unnecessary development time for close to no benefit compared to simply yanking up transparancy to 9X%

Well, not hard to do. One of the issues in BDO was a skin that was essentially a sniper's camo, leafs and branches. The big issue with this skin in PvP is they were hard to notice. They were not invisible, but they blended with the plants and trees very well, and it was just a simple cosmetic. They could probably make some clothes that could blend with the environment as a skill.
    The Ghillie suit in BDO also got rid of the player name plates and health etc. Hence why they were so effective. It wasn't a standard cosmetic.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Ghillie was one of the most disgusting p2w and gameplay experience in that game people had to deal with for years, was completely disgusting (needed to say that again). They removed that effect from gameplay last year or this year made things not fun since it made it extremely hard to track some classes.
  • all very good points, my main question was if it could be done some kinda way with how they change seasons just have a smaller version for a skill.
    I am not a game developer or am very in the know on how these things get done, i thought it would be kinda cool to have something like this, thank you all for your feedback i appreciate you taking the time to have a think about this.
  • Honestly for rangers and rogues alike, give them the ability to hide their nameplate unless directly targeted.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    stealth should be rogue exclusive, stealth for other classes sounds lame and bad design
    Izil.png
  • Izil wrote: »
    stealth should be rogue exclusive, stealth for other classes sounds lame and bad design

I mean, it could definitely be a rogue secondary ability for ranger primary. A sort of stationary stealth at a distance.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Izil wrote: »

Steath has been a staple for ranger-like classes in a multitude of games. So i do not see your point at all. Can you elaborate on your "bad design" rather than making a non-argument?
    Camouflage is an expected form of Stealth for Rangers. Nothing lame about that.
  • Well, Pathfinder is a derivative of DnD. Rangers - going back to 2nd edition - have always had access to some form of ‘move silently’ and ‘hide in shadows.’ This has been translated to stealth in many games - since it’s a lazy way to manage a camouflage system.

I’d be happy to keep stealth as a rogue-only ability, if Rangers have a camouflage ability in the wilderness that allows them to hide their nameplate, and dye their cloak (or clothes) in shades of their current environment.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    Is it an oasis? Is it a cactus? Is it a palm tree? No its rangers in camouflage.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022
    This isn't D&D or LOTR.

Seems like it was mentioned early on it was a rouge primary archetype skill.

Rangers don't have "Stealth". They have a Camouflage ability.
    Full "Stealth" will still be the Rogue skill.

Rangers have a Camouflage ability that grants Stealth at a distance.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    Important Note:
    Camouflage has been used as a mechanic that makes you appear stealth-ed from a distance but normally visible from up close rather then the character playing dress-up like its surroundings. Steven, by the quote he used, seems like he has adopted the same interpretation of the world "camouflage".
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im pretty sure Steven said a couple live streams ago during q and a that stealth was not full invisibility. Curious as to what the difference between camo and stealth will be
  • DizzDizz Member
    Im pretty sure Steven said a couple live streams ago during q and a that stealth was not full invisibility. Curious as to what the difference between camo and stealth will be

Maybe like predator the movie.
  • 100% agree with the OP, I don't understand why it can't just be physical camouflage. Not only does it fit with the theme of a ranger much better than some generic spell, they've already shown the tech to make clothing shift color based on the season.
  • Im pretty sure Steven said a couple live streams ago during q and a that stealth was not full invisibility. Curious as to what the difference between camo and stealth will be

didnt we already see it in action during both the Apocalypse test as well as the rogue cinematic?
    While probably not in its final form, i do not expect them to deviate from it conceptually.

In both, you could see the shrouds/deflected presence of a stealthed unit, but it wasnt easy to spot by any means.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    ChaIk wrote: »
    100% agree with the OP, I don't understand why it can't just be physical camouflage. Not only does it fit with the theme of a ranger much better than some generic spell, they've already shown the tech to make clothing shift color based on the season.

for one: its significantly more effort to implement for barely any return.
    Whether its well executed physical camouflage or a simple stealth effect, in the grand scheme of things, the end result is the same game play wise. All the effort would literally just add a little flavor.

A real camouflage effect would have to differ based on:
    • Time of Day (Lighting)
    • Weather
    • the 18 Biomes
    • Season

Not saying its not possible, but Id rather have them work on things they actually need to do, rather than things that are just added work for barely any benefit.