Ranger stealth

2»

Comments

• Warth wrote: »
    ChaIk wrote: »
    100% agree with the OP, I don't understand why it can't just be physical camouflage. Not only does it fit with the theme of a ranger much better than some generic spell, they've already shown the tech to make clothing shift color based on the season.

for one: its significantly more effort to implement for barely any return.
    Whether its well executed physical camouflage or a simple stealth effect, in the grand scheme of things, the end result is the same game play wise. All the effort would literally just add a little flavor.

A real camouflage effect would have to differ based on:
    • Time of Day (Lighting)
    • Weather
    • the 18 Biomes
    • Season

Not saying its not possible, but Id rather have them work on things they actually need to do, rather than things that are just added work for barely any benefit.

You're right that real camouflage would work differently depending on the environment. That's the interesting part that you don't have when it's just an invisibility spell. Actually having to pay attention to your surroundings and plan your hiding spot accordingly is a lot more engaging than just pressing the 'enable transparency' button.

Now it definitely would be more work, but not because the mantle would have to match its environment - again, they already showed off the tech for that exact function on wearable items. The trickiest thing would probably be dealing with glowing spell effects and/or emissive shaders on your weapons/armor.

I'm not married to this specific idea, it's just that the current plan of giving the ranger a downgraded version of rogue's stealth feels a bit cheap.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don’t know that Camouflage is a downgraded form of Stealth. It’s a different form of Stealth. We have to see it in action.
    Hopefully, in one month.
  • It'd be cool if they had the ability to do a color/texture sampler like in digital art where you could click somewhere on the terrain and that textures/colors your equipment
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Dolyem wrote: »
    It'd be cool if they had the ability to do a color/texture sampler like in digital art where you could click somewhere on the terrain and that textures/colors your equipment

That’s what I’d imagine with a camouflage ability, there’s a cast bar as if studying the region, then a blend of those colors are applied to your clothes & gear.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Removal of name tags and health is powerful at range anyway. The camo costume or whatever it is would just be a novelty after that. A ranger can't use a bow prone so open spaces should offer no camo at all.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    Removal of name tags and health is powerful at range anyway. The camo costume or whatever it is would just be a novelty after that. A ranger can't use a bow prone so open spaces should offer no camo at all.

The cactus with a long bow may be a give-away, but the onus is on the guy with the arrows stuck in him.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We have had cosmetics with like leaves and stuff (Old Py-Rai concepts) so its not a stretch too far to expect a similar setup for a ranger, however, I still prefer Longbow styled bow users (Spikes in front, Metal Armour to protect from crossbows) or Persian Horse Archers (Heavier Armour and Parthian Shot). I guess the ranger could also shoot from a mount but we'll have to see.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • I'd really hate for a camouflage to be implemented in a manner of lowered visibility. This is just saying that for pvp you should change your own graphical settings to negate a class mechanic.

I'd rather have the ranger stealth be an invisibility for players that are a certain distance away
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Warth wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Steven said a couple live streams ago during q and a that stealth was not full invisibility. Curious as to what the difference between camo and stealth will be

didnt we already see it in action during both the Apocalypse test as well as the rogue cinematic?
    While probably not in its final form, i do not expect them to deviate from it conceptually.

For sure. I do remember the predator cinematic. However the stream I'm referring to was this year where as the cinematic and apoc was years ago now. Either way I don't really know was just a curious thought.
  • BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Giving range a hard coded stealth mode in a mmo with pvp is a huge balancing nightmare. I can see it now with 40% of the player base playing Legolas elf ranger / rogues with fast mobility, long range dps, and stealth as it will be easy mode for most players.
    The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold. Hammers High!
    y139ot6w1eku.png
  • what you say "in theory" shouldn't be a problem, because of the corruption system - i can have my doubts about it, but they have a solution to your problem already planned

the only question is how effective that will be
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 2022
    I just wish nameplates dont give away position of people hiding in the terrain :P

hard to sneak up on someone when giant nameplate give away ur position at quick glance
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Tragnar wrote: »
    I'd really hate for a camouflage to be implemented in a manner of lowered visibility. This is just saying that for pvp you should change your own graphical settings to negate a class mechanic.

I'd rather have the ranger stealth be an invisibility for players that are a certain distance away

Not sure where I heard this but I believe that issue was addressed by Steven. Basically saying that you won't be able to turn down foliage to the point that it gives an advantage.
    GJjUGHx.gif