Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Give me RP servers or give me death. Or no global chat to combat spam.

VolgarisVolgaris Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
I know RP servers have been denied at least for the time. But for the love of god can we get something, anything that will ban real life bs like politics from global chats. It's not even about even about RP, it's just about keep the toxic waste out of the game. Yeah I know you can /ignore or whatever, but on a healthy server it's never ending and i just end up turning off the chat.

(Mod note: changed thread title.)

Edit. I've changed the title to something else, that better fits the discription. Because no global chat filter can combat, toxic spam from other players, or gold selling.

I do have to point out the irony in having my original title changed.
RP Server VS Normal Server Global/LFG Chat Messages ****Trump2069****/###CLINTON4ever!###

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully there won't be a global chat.

I think that there are other things more important than making dumb speech against ToS and wasting money/time to deal with it. Even spamming things like "my name jeff" shouldn't be against ToS, it's just a waste of time, unless it's spamming things like "buy gold at W vv W . ash3s g0ld .c 0m", which will hopefully be reportable and bannable.

I'm sure that there will be "political" guild names, character names, stall names, etc. and the reality is that if you try to make some of them against ToS, you'll end up choosing a side like most software companies/social medias [MMORPGs were the first social medias IMO] do and things will just get worse from there.

So I believe that being able to permanently ignore/block people by right clicking their name in the chat UI is probably the best solution to this phenomenon.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    I’m hoping this is where active GMs with prolific ban hammers will set the appropriate tone.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    There should be chats per area that would be global. As for the entire server with that amount of people it might be too much to keep up with the logs. Though im still for per large land mass and the entire server and I've people to use the tab or not. If you don't like it simply don't have a tab for it.

There should 100% be a recruiting tab for server and per land mass.

Honestly don't care about people talking about political talk or anything unless they are being toxic on purpose. Ignore feature is great if you don't want to hear someone. I'm more about free speech and not controlling speech.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like the fact that the threat of or command by, the mods to make you change your title kind of made this conversation moot by sheer irony and demonstration that it's possible to moderate what things people are allowed to say via terms of service/live moderation.
    Small print leads to large risks.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope there's minimal moderation. Except for threats/blatant irl racism and harassment.

Sometimes people want to talk about crazy shit happening in the world and sometimes that involves the insanity of politicians making shitty decisions.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    as someone else said, it is my hope that on such a large server that there is not true global, server wide chat. Local (ex. 3-4 building distance), shout (whole town), node (self explanatory), region (node+1node in all directions) are about as far of a distance as I would like to see for non-whisper related chat. Whispers, family, and guild chat should be able to reach anywhere on the server potentially but all "public" chat should have distance related limitations in my opinion.

This should limit your potential spam and real life chat significantly. An RP channel would be nice but unsure how you'd moderate that without micromanagement.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited August 2022
    Another point the more i think about it, this is going to be av very social game and communication is going to be key as well.

Chat honestly should be more customized so you can have chats in different land mass zones and create your own filters that are effective for you and what you are trying to achieve.

You can have some presets for those that want to be more rp and not know what is going around in the world as a whole.

Though for people that do want to know what is going on they should be able to have chats per region or a server as a whole so they can keep a eye on things i feel that is necessary. With filters per area they can set as many tabs as they want and what areas to reduce how active some chat tabs are so they can better keep up.

Want to emphasize there is no reason to stop a global chat, just set it up so people not interested in it can have less tabs and not see comments as it has 0 effect on them with other people that need to know what is going on.

When managing a guild, politics, etc i feel global chat very important and having different tabs as per parts of the world it will help organize information i need to look through. But you should always have access to all them.
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Hopefully there won't be a global chat.

I think that there are other things more important than making dumb speech against ToS and wasting money/time to deal with it. Even spamming things like "my name jeff" shouldn't be against ToS, it's just a waste of time, unless it's spamming things like "buy gold at W vv W . ash3s g0ld .c 0m", which will hopefully be reportable and bannable.

I'm sure that there will be "political" guild names, character names, stall names, etc. and the reality is that if you try to make some of them against ToS, you'll end up choosing a side like most software companies/social medias [MMORPGs were the first social medias IMO] do and things will just get worse from there.

So I believe that being able to permanently ignore/block people by right clicking their name in the chat UI is probably the best solution to this phenomenon.

No global chat is better then some global chats i've seen. Normally if the global chat is just advertisement for gold sellers that's about the time I quit and go back to playing rimworld. Global chats can be fun, and entertaining, I just don't think you can trust todays popluation of gamers with that responsibility :(
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    There should be chats per area that would be global. As for the entire server with that amount of people it might be too much to keep up with the logs. Though im still for per large land mass and the entire server and I've people to use the tab or not. If you don't like it simply don't have a tab for it.

Honestly don't care about people talking about political talk or anything unless they are being toxic on purpose. Ignore feature is great if you don't want to hear someone. I'm more about free speech and not controlling speech.

For some RP servers I've played on talking OOC is against rules, so talking about politics, ect can get you a temp ban. It helps with immersion and stuff, but it's really nice not having to read a news feed while looking for players for a dungeon or something.
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    I feel like the fact that the threat of or command by, the mods to make you change your title kind of made this conversation moot by sheer irony and demonstration that it's possible to moderate what things people are allowed to say via terms of service/live moderation.

They changed it. It was RP Servers VS Normal Servers Global/LFG Chat Messages *****Trump 2069*****/####CLINTON4ever!#####

The conversation wasn't about having a chat filter. If there's not a chat filter then the games chats will be destroyed on day one. It's more about having an RP server and this is an argument for them.
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »
    I hope there's minimal moderation. Except for threats/blatant irl racism and harassment.

Sometimes people want to talk about crazy shit happening in the world and sometimes that involves the insanity of politicians making shitty decisions.

Ironically my title was changed for reasons. To me starting a threat here debating politics is the same as taking part in a RL political debate in game. But I was more arguing for RP servers. I get people like to talk politics, but with this game possibly releasing around 2024 and elections that same year. I'd prefer to play on an RP server with like minded players who play to get away from the world.
  • Options
    GalvyrGalvyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    RP is going to be even more enhanced in Ashes, because of all the in-game political systems that actually matter. I feel like to get the full experience from this game; you should play on an RP server. So, please have that be a thing!
  • Options
    Iandriel wrote: »
    RP is going to be even more enhanced in Ashes, because of all the in-game political systems that actually matter. I feel like to get the full experience from this game; you should play on an RP server. So, please have that be a thing!

I think by virtue of the way nodes play, all servers will be RP servers in a way.

In my experience, RP servers and groups are often too planned out to be fulfilling as they decide storylines ahead of time.

With the servers as they are, all actions and reactions are natural and in itself a form of real RP.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Volgaris wrote: »

For some RP servers I've played on talking OOC is against rules, so talking about politics, ect can get you a temp ban. It helps with immersion and stuff, but it's really nice not having to read a news feed while looking for players for a dungeon or something.

so the Mod made this post actually relative for good feedback and you reverted back to a troll post? There are no rp servers in the game... And that honestly sounds stupid in enforce banning people on a server over how they talk. That is exactly why you don't see rp servers anymore they ruined it for themselves.
  • Options
    Sorry Op but they aint going to give any specialized servers.
  • Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited August 2022
    I want both an official rp server, since there will be unofficial ones anyway, and no global chat.
    I understand and like the idea that no rp servers means all servers are rp, but it's unrealistic. It just sucks for people who want to play an Rpg without their immersion being constantly broken. Yes, there will always be griefers of rp, but rp servers help by creating a server-wide culture that shuns those people and an official rp server will just make it easier for rpers to play together.
    As for global chat, as long as I can turn it off, I'm mostly happy. I'd prefer if everyone kept their opinions and irl issues out of a fantasy world full of strangers who don't care about you. There are tons of discords, forums... real life people... to talk to about those things.
  • Options
    I’m ok with neither RP servers nor global chat. Does that keep the OP from dying?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Ashes servers only give death!
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I’m ok with neither RP servers nor global chat. Does that keep the OP from dying?

I am 100% on board. I just want the same rules for everyone and though I'd like chat to have various filters and channels so that I can reach people that are interested/already engaged in the content I'm looking to do I don't think a global chat is necessary and will just become a clusterf*ck no matter how harshly it's policed.

Having chats split into node specific/ trade specific/ content specific would be better I feel

So node chats would be general but you have to be in that certain node to see it. And all the animal husbandry people can have a global channel but it's purely for chats about animal husbandry. Then you have content specific so certain world boss ecounters could have a chat so various parties can coordinate efforts.

(Of course guilds and parties/raid groups would have their own channel)

Something like that appeals to me much more than an all encompassing global general chat.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    I personally don't really see a problem if servers have a little label besides their name:
    • Alpha (full)
    • Beta (full)
    • Gamma (medium)
    • Delta (full)
    • Epsilon (full) (RP)
    • Zeta (empty) (bald people only)
    • etc.

It doesn't change anything gameplay related, all servers are still the same regardless of that label and there are no special rules, but now players somewhat know what to expect from that server. And we know that there will be an unofficial list of hardcore, PvE, RP, twitch streamer, furry, etc. servers in Discord or Reddit, but now instead of needing to go somewhere else to find the server you're looking for, there's a label in the server selection screen. That's just my personal opinion, but it doesn't affect me too much since I'll be avoiding the twitch/RP/PvE servers anyway, so I could be biased.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    If players are already congregating to their preferred unofficial realm types using third party sites like reddit or discord, then intrepid is tune deaf to the players desires. I don't RP on mmorpgs, not like DnD. But the community in an RP server is so much better. And the lack of political debates is bliss.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm super keen for no global chat.

In what scenario would a public global chat be useful?
    I can only think of newbies asking for help with a griefer.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited August 2022
    Natasha wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »

I am 100% on board. I just want the same rules for everyone and though I'd like chat to have various filters and channels so that I can reach people that are interested/already engaged in the content I'm looking to do I don't think a global chat is necessary and will just become a clusterf*ck no matter how harshly it's policed.

Having chats split into node specific/ trade specific/ content specific would be better I feel

So node chats would be general but you have to be in that certain node to see it. And all the animal husbandry people can have a global channel but it's purely for chats about animal husbandry. Then you have content specific so certain world boss ecounters could have a chat so various parties can coordinate efforts.

(Of course guilds and parties/raid groups would have their own channel)

Something like that appeals to me much more than an all encompassing global general chat.

Node channels should be accessed to everyone that wants it. When you are running a guild and dealing with politics and needing to know information it is pretty important. People that aren't as social or are not trying to be in a leadership position wouldn't understand and simply think it is what they want with no global chat or having access to chats in all parts of the world.

Honestly i think that is pretty selfish, rather then turning the chat off the simply say no global chat or have access to other channels. Because they want to attempt to force rpish ideas on people, im sure they would prefer simply and only local chat.

This rpish forced type chat is a issue as then you are more focused on forums and discord than actually using in game chat and making connections through that. If you don't want to be apart of any channel and only want to have local there is no reason why in game thy cant set their filters for only that, rather then force their more antisocial traits on everyone.

@maouw In terms of running a guild and politics.
  • Options
    Put people at the Blocklist
    put your "toxic" words at a filterlist
    toggle off world chat
    cancel your internet and live under the rock
    stop crying like a little ....

Thankfull that Euro chats are less annoying.
  • Options
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    Put people at the Blocklist
    put your "toxic" words at a filterlist
    toggle off world chat
    cancel your internet and live under the rock
    stop crying like a little ....

Thankfull that Euro chats are less annoying.

That can be a great idea and feature they can have blocked words, or if they say a blocked work it does this for the whole chat **** or doesn't show them the message. And they can ignore as much of the chat they want. Instead of wanting to force their desire for a blocked chat on other people.
  • Options
    Its like someone doesn't like twitter or social media so they are like this is dumb I'm going to ban everyone from using social media from now on because of my own taste.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022
    Give them RP Servers or Death...

Well, there are a lot of people against RP Servers, so it ain't looking good for you, OP! :p:D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Well, there are a lot of people against RP Servers, so it ain't looking good for you, OP! :p:D

I hope i see a hardcore rp guild that isn't stuck up with "rules" and kicking people unless they follow them. But are super fun on the server making things interesting and is kind of a meme.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022
    daveywavey wrote: »

I hope i see a hardcore rp guild that isn't stuck up with "rules" and kicking people unless they follow them. But are super fun on the server making things interesting and is kind of a meme.

I hope there are lots of them! I remember riding by a dungeon in a game I was playing, and came across an RP Guild getting ready to go inside, and I ended up stopping and watching while they went in. Every server needs that.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    But.... Without a world-wide general chat, how will I know that I can get X amount of Gold for only $0.0883/million from crappywebsitename.com? Or that I could be earning $24+/hour working from home selling X, as my own boss?