Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Give me RP servers or give me death. Or no global chat to combat spam.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    @Mag7spy

People are anti-social as it is. They must be herded. Take to the whip.

Global affects game power dynamics. Incentivize local engagement rather than global.
  • Options
    As a side topic – at least we can all agree that chat bubbles are a must, right?
  • Options
    @Kreinster And the text scrolls out one character or syllable at a time.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What i am asking myself, is how defending immersion in the game can be done by anyone who wants global chat which is clearly counter-immersive tool,

With global chat, you can know what is happening at any point of the world in real time, no more ignorance of events,

"What the shit is happening in northern part of continent ?! lets get travel to there to know about it"
    This is game generator, you have to chose, farm, or try to get informations, No more need to have social interaction with people to create bind with other people you can, later, ask informations, because unknown random dude will give those information directly in global chat.

• Options
    Aerlana wrote: »
    What i am asking myself, is how defending immersion in the game can be done by anyone who wants global chat which is clearly counter-immersive tool,

With global chat, you can know what is happening at any point of the world in real time, no more ignorance of events,

"What the shit is happening in northern part of continent ?! lets get travel to there to know about it"
    This is game generator, you have to chose, farm, or try to get informations, No more need to have social interaction with people to create bind with other people you can, later, ask informations, because unknown random dude will give those information directly in global chat.

RP is not a reason to make a game experience more difficult either you are in a big guild and wanting other people to be at a disadvantage to benefit you. I'm going to so far assume this is the case since you are in the DPS thread waning trackers for the 1-5%.

This is not 2002, with no global chat you simply allow guilds to have better information that other people in game, or on DISCORD. You simply will have people have discord on their second monitor to talking and people building discords for that.

FOR YOUR IMMERSION if you do not like global chat hide it and rp in the game. Pure immersion and rp elements is not a reason to remove gameplay elements.
  • Options
    Kreinster wrote: »
    As a side topic – at least we can all agree that chat bubbles are a must, right?

sounds immersion breaking to me.
  • Options
    Kreinster wrote: »

Honestly I would prefer to have only chat bubbles and zero chat box. But that is me. I understand that is probably a very unpopular opinion and never going to happen in a game in this year.
  • Options
    If there is no "official" rp server I still like to stay IC because I'm so used to it from games like Neverwinter Nights and I have found it to be highly infectious at times and can stimilate an rp atmosphere.
  • Options
    If there is no "official" rp server I still like to stay IC because I'm so used to it from games like Neverwinter Nights and I have found it to be highly infectious at times and can stimilate an rp atmosphere.

and I'm sure there will be unofficial servers people dedicate and go to that will have plenty of rpers. Just means there will be no weird rules where there are 1000's of tickets of people trying to get other people banned for not following their own rp rules.
  • Options
    Add Friendly Damage and zerging is less powerful.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    ariatras wrote: »
    Iandriel wrote: »
    RP is going to be even more enhanced in Ashes, because of all the in-game political systems that actually matter. I feel like to get the full experience from this game; you should play on an RP server. So, please have that be a thing!

RP is a lot more then that. Things like slice of life, or just being a peasant. Walking through the streets custom emotes and using your imagination to do more then what the game offers. The interactions, the non-combat or even gameplay related things. Using the world as a medium to create your own stories with like-minded people. Most of the actual in-game mechanics, like the mayoral system or the caravan system will probably not even be utilised by the RP community, at least not within RP. It's much more likely we'll use the system with an imaginary caravan, so the one running the event has some degree of control over the type of encounters a group might run into. Not to mention gives the players time to actually emote their movements, abilities, and skills.

Given the server will be divided into different nodes. Finding people that actually want to RP is already diminished. And no, playing the game isn't the RP we talk about.

To use a DnD analogy. RP is much more about letting your players interact with each other, talk about their lives, their backstories, getting a few drinks, making some friends. The moments in the game where the DM just sits back and enjoys, as no input of the DM is required. Whereas most of the players in an MMO constantly need the DM.

Whilst someone may not personally like to RP. Walking into a tavern and seeing players interact as though they are NPCs in your world helps make it feel alive. Or a group of adventurer's gathered around a campfire as you go along and quest. It'll make the world feel more alive. It's not about segregating the playerbase, as some people have tried to argue. It's about providing the minimal amount of help to those who want to Roleplay to find like-minded people. There don't even need to be additional rules. Don't wilfully interrupt people from enjoying the game (harassment) a rule that should be universal. I don't care if I see players running around with non-rp names. Everyone's welcome on an RP server as long as people don't harass. And if you have roleplay aspirations, you'll probably think twice before naming your character something like digbick or ice-wallow

And, finally, no global chats, thanks!

RP is not a reason for no global chat. Simply turn global chat off for yourself and paly solo or with your smaller group.

Oh, no Global Chat was a personal preference, not a comment on RP. You are absolutely right that RP is not a reason for no Global Chat. :)
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif