Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Give me RP servers or give me death. Or no global chat to combat spam.

Comments

• Options
    I'm planning that I'll have a few basic discord channels between guild & non-guild friends. I'm guessing there will be a few of us that have been acquainted on the forums for several years to connect across guilds on the same server.

All of these are MUCH more valuable than a global chat.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Volgaris wrote: »
    I still think selling global chat in the cash shop would solve this issue. 1 dollar for 120 characters. Then when someone is talking in global you know it's important, or you know who's got money to burn.

A region chat would be great. Or a Node's Zone Of Influence chat. Castle Region Chat. There's really so many options.

No

No to what part?
  • Options
    I still think selling global chat in the cash shop would solve this issue. 1 dollar for 120 characters. Then when someone is talking in global you know it's important, or you know who's got money to burn.

A region chat would be great. Or a Node's Zone Of Influence chat. Castle Region Chat. There's really so many options.

No

No to what part?

Monetization of chat
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

No

No to what part?

Your outrageous pricing on the Pay-To-Talk.

No one would buy it at that price.

Nearly $0.05 per word? In this economy?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    @CROW3 for sure. Discord has helped bring gamers together even better. It make so much more sense than a 10,000 person chat room that is global chat. I guess if a server population is down to a couple hundred then global chat would really be needed, but there's bigger problems if that's the case.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »

No

No to what part?

lmao! yeah that was the point. It's a terrible idea. I was being facetious. But we allowed emojis then you could get more words out with less characters. Think of the new short hand that could be created.
  • Options

No

No to what part?

Monetization of chat

leaving money on the table!
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I've played mmos where you had to buy scroll "declarations" to talk, it was garbage, plsno.

du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options

Played a game where you could do exactly that. It was awful. I hope I never play a game that has this again.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Free chat, and join the channels you want and stay out of what you do want. Pretty simply. Will have 0 effect on you and benefit the people that need chat for politics and will deal with running through the comments that are pointless.

Ie* Something going on with a guild that you help time to time, people looking to talk to leadership or join a guild, people trading or looking to form groups, issues between guilds and/or nodes and giving solution to problems, general politics between nodes, offering more social elements of being in a active world with peopel chatting then never seeing your chat log move with it only being in a smaller area around you, etc.
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    edited September 2022

No

No to what part?

lmao! yeah that was the point. It's a terrible idea. I was being facetious. But we allowed emojis then you could get more words out with less characters. Think of the new short hand that could be created.

Well, this is not a joke to me, there were games have things like you said, those cash players happy to buy to shit talk at global chat and even what they said will pop up right at the center of your screen for seconds and you can't turn off anything and they shit talk to each other all the time.

Yeah, @Volgaris 's worry is true, even now, it's not something that won't happen in this economy, it's just cash players have the money and they want spend that way, I mean just look at those p2w BS games do you still think this can't be true in today?

Chat that for players should just stay limited range no matter what shouldn't be global.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    Limited range is literarily rp server levels lmao. There is no reason to stop people from communicating, or force people to have to move to discords to do half the communications. This is such a old archaic thinking to prevent people from being able to communicate for no reason.
  • Options
    Dizz wrote: »

No

No to what part?

Well, this is not a joke to me, there were games have things like you said, those cash players happy to buy to shit talk at global chat and even what they said will pop up right at the center of your screen for seconds and you can't turn off anything and they shit talk to each other all the time.

Yeah, @Volgaris 's worry is true, even now, it's not something that won't happen in this economy, it's just cash players have the money and they want spend that way, I mean just look at those p2w BS games do you still think this can't be true in today?

Chat that for players should just stay limited range no matter what shouldn't be global.

Ah, no, sorry.

I know all about things like Megaphones in BDO and whatever else. Considering how bad MMO design decisions have been lately, I probably should not joke in that way, though.

• Options
    Natasha wrote: »

I've played mmos where you had to buy scroll "declarations" to talk, it was garbage, plsno.

holy shit it''s been done before!??!?
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

No

No to what part?

No one would buy it... lies. Ive seen twitch. People will spend good money to say the stupidest things you have ever heard.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Natasha wrote: »

holy shit it''s been done before!??!?

BDO charges for Lines, not characters. $0.40 a line I think. It changes. Much more reasonable per-character pricing. That's why your suggestion wouldn't make sense, it wouldn't be competitive in the cutthroat world of monetized Global Chat.

• Options
    no global chat. Mage enchanting item that allows for long-distance communication.
  • Options
    AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Global should not be in it should be enouth to have a
    Node Influence Chat that depens on the influence zone of the node your in. That should be global enouth.
    besides that the known chats like guild, friends, family, clan, maybe a churchal chat that only can be written or read inside the churches.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Hundreds of discord message are going to get annoying id rather have that in game.

*will play the game, will have 0 discord message outside of friends/guilds... if i even join the guild's discord*

If you don't want to have to roam discord to have those message just ignore discord...

And discords server for each serv will exist, for a simple and obvious reason : discord doesnt need people to be logged in to speak to them... While for global, yes. Discord is more closer to a forum chat than an ingame chat.

Also,
    Chat for trade : being mostly local trade, and large scale trade needing the economic t6, chat won't really help
    Politic/diplomacy between node ? excellent reason to not have the chat, the mayors or their emissaries will just have to meet, directly, face to face, or... oh yes, maybe they will prefer go vocal, which would be discord or discord and not a written global chat.
    Guild recruit : still thru discord + forum, even if there are global chat, and more than that, you will try to find guild around your place to avoid to have to move too much all you gathered on caravan.
    And could go on.

After 15 years of MMORPG, if there is one chat dedicated to meaningless messages, it is the global chat...
  • Options
    Aerlana wrote: »
    Hundreds of discord message are going to get annoying id rather have that in game.

*will play the game, will have 0 discord message outside of friends/guilds... if i even join the guild's discord*

If you don't want to have to roam discord to have those message just ignore discord...

And discords server for each serv will exist, for a simple and obvious reason : discord doesnt need people to be logged in to speak to them... While for global, yes. Discord is more closer to a forum chat than an ingame chat.

Also,
    Chat for trade : being mostly local trade, and large scale trade needing the economic t6, chat won't really help
    Politic/diplomacy between node ? excellent reason to not have the chat, the mayors or their emissaries will just have to meet, directly, face to face, or... oh yes, maybe they will prefer go vocal, which would be discord or discord and not a written global chat.
    Guild recruit : still thru discord + forum, even if there are global chat, and more than that, you will try to find guild around your place to avoid to have to move too much all you gathered on caravan.
    And could go on.

After 15 years of MMORPG, if there is one chat dedicated to meaningless messages, it is the global chat...

You don't get it, there is a lot you need to have to run a guild and using RP as a reason to stop chat doesn't help. It makes you have to do everything out of the game to chat, no one is going to meet face to face. I just means i have to deal with more messages on discord than in game.

If you don't like global chat don't use it, pretty simply. Doesn't effect you.
  • Options
    Same people that also won't want global chat will be the same people that will have large guilds ready to go day one lol. Less competition since people can't communicate with easy other easily. All you are wanting is harming other smaller groups.
  • Options
    Same people that also won't want global chat will be the same people that will have large guilds ready to go day one lol. Less competition since people can't communicate with easy other easily. All you are wanting is harming other smaller groups.

How so? Do only large groups of people have discord? Pretty sure smaller friend groups creating guilds know what discord is as well... Also pretty sure there will be ways to like browse for guilds to join via some kind of guild board or something. Just an FYI i have 0 plans to play with anyone so far day 1 and I would love no global chat.
    You don't get it, there is a lot you need to have to run a guild and using RP as a reason to stop chat doesn't help. It makes you have to do everything out of the game to chat, no one is going to meet face to face. I just means i have to deal with more messages on discord than in game.

This isn't true either, Global chat is not everything, there is also private messages, mail, probably some type of guild chat, of course general. Maybe even a city chat if yer in a city... (speculation) As listed above pretty sure if yer planning on running a guild like you made it sound like, i'm sure there is going to be some sort of guild browser / register.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    With no group finder, then some form of wider chat would be useful.
    Not necesarily world chat but perhaps within your node and adjacent nodes limit
  • Options
    Taaku wrote: »

How so? Do only large groups of people have discord? Pretty sure smaller friend groups creating guilds know what discord is as well... Also pretty sure there will be ways to like browse for guilds to join via some kind of guild board or something. Just an FYI i have 0 plans to play with anyone so far day 1 and I would love no global chat.

This isn't true either, Global chat is not everything, there is also private messages, mail, probably some type of guild chat, of course general. Maybe even a city chat if yer in a city... (speculation) As listed above pretty sure if yer planning on running a guild like you made it sound like, i'm sure there is going to be some sort of guild browser / register.

Because you dont want to use global chat is not a reason to not have global chat. This is what you dont understand as a solo player, you are hurting other guilds but reducing peoples ways of interacting.

I'm aware ANYONE can use discord you are missing the point, it makes it harder for people to organized without being able to communicate. Which means guilds won't be able to effectively recruit further increasing the gap between guilds that are set up already and large guilds which will steam roll a server with competition. Easily allowing them to stabilize early game and stay as a dominant guild more easily.

You are making a lot of assumptions of what you think they might have. I'm not going to assume something until it is shown or confirmed. The same people can say the same thing about city chat, not wanting to hear it. This is why I say simply give control of chat and allow people to be in chats they want to be in. If you want to close all chats and not see what anyone says that should be available for you to do. If you want to see all chats that should also be available for you to do.

If you don't like what people say or don't want global chat close the window and never use it. But for guilds and social groups it is an important tool for finding new guild members or party members to run content with over feeling alone in the world unable to effectively find groups to play with that are right for you. As well for politics and knowing what is going on int he world, if someone needs to reach you, to trade with, etc its beneficial and just makes things feel more social always having a chance to talk to people Global, region, etc.

I hear I don't like global chat, I won't use global chat so no one should have it. That makes 0 sense to me. In a game that is this social, there should be every opportunity to communicate with people. This should go above bias of someone using it or not and simply allowing players to have their own choice on how they communicate.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    I just means i have to deal with more messages on discord than in game.

YOU deal more message on discord than ingame because it is your choice to do this way. People knew that getting answers from me was more efficient in game than forum/discord which was limited for specific case or for high emergency... for case where the problem was not "global chat or not" but "better to send the message even if officers are logged out"

Because this is where discord will surpass any chat : the message is carried even if you are not logged in. Global chat won't make discord less usefull

Nobody complained of my guild management, and i had lot of speak with other guild leader... and not using global servers but... their or my guild server... But... guild chat is a basic features in anygame right so why do they needed forum and now discord ?

And global chat have also another issue : it is contrary to the philosophy of a large world with long travel time. who cares that 45 minute of travel from where they are, some people are gathering to do a dungeons ? ... the time of the travel, dungeon will be done.
    Why would i care that 1h of travel away, a dude is selling 1000 log of tree?
    A guild not so far ? ok fine, but the guild will ask me to join discord either way in the end, so change nothing. (and because not being far away, i can see their recruitment message in local chat)

And for being in large guild, while i am asking what "large" means... the largest i was in was in vanilla.
    Then was always less than 50 people. And for AoC, i don't even try to find a guild yet... maybe i will do before release, for RP guild... not the kind of guild "large" ... and even more the kind of guild which communicate a lot outside of the guild to do some events.
    but i know you are fast to decide for people what they are doing ;)

Social doesnt mean no restriction on social trade. Restriction are part of social rules, "speaking" to other is not even, for me, making social bound, you do social bound with people you work to know better, which is more on the side of the limited area chat, where there are less people so better to know each other, such kind of social interaction are killed by too large area chat. Here is a second reason to not have global...
    akabear wrote: »

Node chat will probably be a thing, will see how it will really work due to node system (a t3 node can be included in a T4 node area, but also T5 or T6 node area... T6 node area being really large...hard to predict how "node chat" will exactly work. )
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

I'd like to see an adventures guild sign, that acts as a message board for lfg/lfm ui interface. You have to go to the board to access the chat or leave a post. lfg/lfr ui pop ups are really useful but turn mmos into lobby games, if you can just open them anywhere and ever more so if they teleport you to the dungeon.
  • Options
    Because you dont want to use global chat is not a reason to not have global chat. This is what you dont understand as a solo player, you are hurting other guilds but reducing peoples ways of interacting.

This is where you are mistaken. By not having a global chat this forces people to interact more with the people around them. They receive less passive information from people asking questions in global chat, so if they have a question they need to stop someone and ask them. Without a global chat people won't be able to ask for price checks across the world, they would have to ask a specific trader if he made a run of say timber from point A to point B and what the profits were like.

The reason simply having global chat and turning it off doesn't work is because for the people that turn it off and want a more grounded community and close knit feel, whenever they try stopping people and asking a question. People don't respond because they are looked at as stupid for not using global chat. We are trying to build a better community in a game so the game doesn't suck.

Also i don't get yer argument as before you were saying it's a boon for big guilds to not have global chat... but now yer saying it's now hurting guilds not having a global chat?... soooo i dunno what you are trying to say.

And yes all these issues can be overcome by simply using discord. Which IMO kinda sucks. And by the sounds of it will honestly give you an advantage. But for the people that want to play a game to you know... actually enjoy a game, and live in a game world and be immersed. Sorry but no global chat is the way to go. Especially for the long term health of a game of this type.
  • Options
    wow there is monetized global chat. lol
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    wow there is monetized global chat. lol

in other games yes. thankfully steven has a brain and isnt implementing it in ashes.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    I'd be fine with a chat only reaches the distances of my voice. This is not practical because 3rd party software for communication. But more so I don't think a 10k person chat room is good in anyway except for gold sellers, trolls, spammers, ect. Large chats turns into a billboard or writing you see on a bathroom stall when you open it up to so many.