Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Artisan Class Restriction.

124»

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    @Azherae - additionally, allow gatherers multiple masteries means when so few resources are available in the wild, when you do run across something you can harvest it instead of grabbing an alt (and probably not finding it before another player) to harvest it.

You've played WoW enough to know how this works there, right? ('sadly' I couldn't stomach it), is this the expectation of that playerbase?

Or will we be inundated with much more 'There's not enough gathering nodes!' than even I expect?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    @Azherae - additionally, allow gatherers multiple masteries means when so few resources are available in the wild, when you do run across something you can harvest it instead of grabbing an alt (and probably not finding it before another player) to harvest it.

You've played WoW enough to know how this works there, right? ('sadly' I couldn't stomach it), is this the expectation of that playerbase?

Or will we be inundated with much more 'There's not enough gathering nodes!' than even I expect?

Based on the world size and lack of fast travel I kind of assumed gathering would be really safe. Like if you just go to some far away node you won't be bothered, it'll just cost you time.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    worddog wrote: »
    Multiboxing is considered cheating so I don't care about it. Having two accounts is fine but playing on both at the same time should be banned.

I've seen you say this a couple times now. I thought you should know that it's not true. Multi-boxing is specifically allowed.
    The Wiki wrote:
    Multiple accounts and multi-boxing, that's a little bit difficult for me because it could be conceived as pay-to-win, because you can progress on a second character and you can then gift that progression to your primary character. In that scenario yes I can see the argument. However if the character progresses with the same amount of effort and time needed by the person who's playing and they maintain that progression on that character, then I don't consider it pay-to-win. I consider it a second account. So initially what I'm going to say is having multi-boxing capability will be allowed within Ashes of Creation. There are a few safety nets that I put in place that kind of restrict the ability for abuses that we've seen in other games.[5] – Steven Sharif
    (ref: Multi-boxing)

(And a community poll a few days later reinforced Steven's decision by a nearly 20% margin.)
  • Options
    This is an mmo with an economy system. Not eso/ff14. You cant have players be selfsufficient and expect a good economy and social gameplay.

Orly. Albion online has an excellent economy, the best among all MMOs and probably video games entirely, and you can level every gathering/crafting skill on a single character.
  • Options

WoW is up there with FFXIV and Albion Online in terms of high resource availability. So gathering runs would result in hundreds of gathered resources. From everything Steven has said about resources, I’m betting Ashes will have maybe 25% of what WoW had.

So, if I mastered 2 gathering professions and have some mid-level skill in others, I’m better able to take advantage of what nodes I do find instead of finding flowers I can’t pick, trees I cant chop, on the hunt for ore to mine.

I’m curious to see how close this prediction is to reality in A2.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Orly. Albion online has an excellent economy, the best among all MMOs and probably video games entirely, and you can level every gathering/crafting skill on a single character.

An excellent economy? Yes.

Does it promote social gameplay? No.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    Multiboxing is considered cheating so I don't care about it. Having two accounts is fine but playing on both at the same time should be banned.

I've seen you say this a couple times now. I thought you should know that it's not true. Multi-boxing is specifically allowed.
    The Wiki wrote:
    Multiple accounts and multi-boxing, that's a little bit difficult for me because it could be conceived as pay-to-win, because you can progress on a second character and you can then gift that progression to your primary character. In that scenario yes I can see the argument. However if the character progresses with the same amount of effort and time needed by the person who's playing and they maintain that progression on that character, then I don't consider it pay-to-win. I consider it a second account. So initially what I'm going to say is having multi-boxing capability will be allowed within Ashes of Creation. There are a few safety nets that I put in place that kind of restrict the ability for abuses that we've seen in other games.[5] – Steven Sharif
    (ref: Multi-boxing)

(And a community poll a few days later reinforced Steven's decision by a nearly 20% margin.)

I heard him say multiboxing with macros were against the rules so I assumed he meant multiboxing was against the rules. I'm actually fine with this then if he understands and accepts that multiple accounts are going to be meta. It's the same in Lost Ark and I like that game. Although leveling in that game takes basically zero time investment.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited October 2022

An excellent economy? Yes.

Does it promote social gameplay? No.

It does promote social gameplay. Despite everyone being able to level everything, oftentimes, certain people in guilds will be responsible for gathering, refining, and crafting a specific item because gaining artisanry 'spec' takes a long time. There are a few people who mastered every craft in Albion, but they are far and few in between.

I don't buy this forced social gameplay shtick. It's like the people on these forums have never played an MMO before. If gaining mastery spec is easy, people can and will make alts for each artisanry specialty they're interested in. Why waste funds and time trading by having someone else make your items when you can do it yourself? And if it's hard, just let people level every crafting skill they want. They won't reach max level anyway. They'll lose item stats and yield if they craft themselves, so they'll have to trade anyway. What's the big deal?
  • Options

Based on the world size and lack of fast travel I kind of assumed gathering would be really safe. Like if you just go to some far away node you won't be bothered, it'll just cost you time.

Transporting resources should not be safe.
    If moving them from node to node is unsafe, same rules might apply when you move them from the gathering spot to the node.
    What's your solution to this?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

Transporting resources should not be safe.
    If moving them from node to node is unsafe, same rules might apply when you move them from the gathering spot to the node.
    What's your solution to this?

Basically just playing early in the morning, PKers are night owls not early birds.

Obviously you'll always be at risk but there are always ways to minimize that risk.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited October 2022
    I would like to see artisan classes progression be account based and the ability to master 1 gather, 1 processing and 1 crafting profession so you can master 1 of each but to craft the best gear you need 2-3 profession so you still need to get help from others.
    Reason for thsi is sometimes i feel like crafting other times gathering so if i could master say lunberjacking aswell as shipbuilding i can participate in either of these when i feel like it but i would still need to buy material from other profession to make/process materials.

So lumber milling could need Wood from wood cutting and oil from alchemy so i could get the wood but i couldnt get the oils from alchemy (which uses fish from fishing) i would have to buy that still