Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Trash talk the Corruptin system

124»

Comments

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    Honestly, let PK kill as many people as they want with no caps or penalties of any kind, but when they die:
    • If killed by a random player: apply all penalties and respawn them in a random, faraway location with the slow cleanse path of running PvE for himself.
    • If killed by a bounty hunter: apply the penalties and make them a prisoner, forcing them to work and generate income for their victims, the bounty hunter, and the node. Where they can cleanse their corruption 10 times faster.
    Bounty hunters are tied to the military node and, therefore, the Verra's justice system.

If, in the future, there is a role/profession capable of hunting heretics (corrupted) linked to the religious node, then the player should be forced to respawn in a spiritual place (like a monastery or else) where they can bring benefits to that node, to his hunters and victims!

Corrupted players who are caught should be made to work to compensate for their bad deeds, that's good content.

My proposal doesn't change the core of the system, but it's outcomes.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    If a player doesn't like the penalties that come with being Red, then don't go Red.

It is simple as that. Why would someone want to go Red? What does one gain by going Red? Do they have some weird twist to their psyce that makes them think that they are macho & tough if they go Red?

Someone infringing on what you think is your hunting spot? Make them force you out by going purple, and fight back. Or give them an unarmed hand slap for 1 point of damage so you are purple, which is a challenge to them to fight.

Someone badmouthing you? Turn off the sound.

You know the consequences of going Red, so you don't have much right to whine about those consequences when you make yourself Red.

what i have to gain for going red, Killing greens in neighbouring nodes to slow there progression on there node to allow for the node my guild trying to level can get ahead of our neighbours to level lock there rank from progressing past ours.
    However this could be
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    It is quite absurd that PKers are penalized when fighting against purple players, but not when facing off against bounty hunters. It's a confusing situation, oh spiritual world, who get's you?

I think that the dampening effect should be removed entirely, and instead, PKers should be sent to jail as a form of punishment or completely enslaved.

i agree there already dampened on combat ability without the artificial dampening ontop of it, Since you can drop gear on death it means anyone looking to go red will not be wearing there best gear set it will be an easy to obtain scrap set so there already stat dampened without the need to artificial dampen them.

that being said i think if they keep the dampening effect it should only be in place for players who kill to many low levels aka if they kill somone 5 levels below theirs which should have huge penalty.

however killing players there own level or close to it shouldnt have dampening penalty. However if they remove the equipment drop then i guess dampening is fine should be one or the other not both imo
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited March 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    You know the consequences of going Red, so you don't have much right to whine about those consequences when you make yourself Red.
    But if those consequence are huge and harsh, and everyone knows that, no one will ever fight back because why would they do that, knowing that no one would ever go Red due to those huge consequences. And now you effectively have turned your owpvp into a toggleable one.

it a real balancing act as it stands now though i think the penalty is to great for red players amd need to be toned back a little however that beings said it might appear worst on paper than in game so realy im waiting to see alpha 2 before i make real comments on it but as it stands now with the info we have i do beleive the risk vs reward for red players is far weighted on the risk side than the reward side of things.

One thing u gotta think about to is if the pvp players cant get there fix via open world pvp due to red penalty to harsh for the reward for them, im gonna tell you right now the next step will be a constant war declaration on every nearby node till they become rubble to get there fix if they get there fix without seiging there less incline to node seige but if they cant get there pvp fix they will literaly farm everything needed to maintain war decs till they win and then move onto next target. Destroyign anode also makes ruins which is another pvp zoen for them so it win win for them to destroy nodes

i would rather loose some materials now and then than loose the node completely that ive been working/living out of
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    The people who will have the fun PvP experience will be the group who brings more purples in most cases. This is what I foresee in AoC, the solo PvPers will be squashed in most cases and sometimes you will have no legal PvP to do and you will have to join large purple groups in roams.

It will be a slow process getting yourself in the sweet spot of PvP for you and once most people are all set they will stay in that process and milk it until they get bored. Most people will be sitting in their spots, unless you travel all around as green and then travelling is just boring repetition.
    As it should be. The game won't be just a pvp fest. It will also not be a solo game. So a solo pvper should always have problems against multiple people, let alone groups. And majority of pvp should either happen in solo locations, where there's only 2 players per spot at best, or in group locations between farming groups.
    Honestly, let PK kill as many people as they want with no caps or penalties of any kind
    Definitely disagree, because I've seen (and done) that and I disliked it.
    but when they die:
    If killed by a random player: apply all penalties and respawn them in a random, faraway location with the slow cleanse path of running PvE for himself.
    Already the case so I agree with this (we just don't know how far from the death location it is).
    If killed by a bounty hunter: apply the penalties and make them a prisoner, forcing them to work and generate income for their victims, the bounty hunter, and the node. Where they can cleanse their corruption 10 times faster.
    As I said before, would only agree to this if the BH that caught me (or at least any BH) had to stand next to me and oversee all my actions (probably with an anti-afk mechanic too, cause I'd imagine people would just leave some twink there).

Disagree with the x10 speed too, cause it would definitely lead to a couple of friends (or a group of them) just PKing a ton of people, then killing the PKer(s) with their BH and removing their corruption really quickly while also giving that BH all the resource from the prison.
  • Options
    In my mind the balancing act, considering the current penalties for being corrupted, is more about at what rate they pile up and how long it takes to purge them.

Going red will always have to be an undesirable status for it to mean anything. It's not a play style. It's meant as a punishment, it's to deter from committing certain actions, especially for repeating offences. Going deep red should always mean that someone is not playing the game as it is meant to be played.

I don't think one or two corrupting kills should be crippling, but it should always suck to turn red. It should always be a status you want to get rid of as soon as possible. Turning red is a warning. After very few un-purged ones you should feel you're digging your own grave.

There are already incentives for players to fight back against attackers, even when they know they will die. The death penalties for purples are half the normal one. I'd be surprised if it became the norm for people to just wait to die when green, dying always suck, if they can cut their loses in half, most people will.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hey everyone, I've noticed another BIG PROBLEM in the game design. Let me explain:

While the "legalized" PvP features such as guild wars, node wars, caravan battles, and naval warfare are fantastic, there is a major issue in them. These PvP systems are not always readily available. If there are no legal PvP opportunities available at the moment, then there will be zero PvP for players to engage in.

Yeah that's right, In other words, players could log in for multiple days without any PvP opportunities at all.

If your server is going days in a row where you cant find anyone else on the ocean, or any caravans running at all, then your server is dead.

In order for this to happen, all castles on your server need to be abandoned, at the very least.

PvP may well not be placed in front of you every minute of every day, but there will ALWAYS be corruption free PvP opportunities for anyone that actively looks for them.

Your complaint here is basically that of being unhappy that you may have to look for PvP. The actual premise of your post is false, other than that.
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    In my mind the balancing act, considering the current penalties for being corrupted, is more about at what rate they pile up and how long it takes to purge them.

Going red will always have to be an undesirable status for it to mean anything. It's not a play style. It's meant as a punishment, it's to deter from committing certain actions, especially for repeating offences. Going deep red should always mean that someone is not playing the game as it is meant to be played.

I don't think one or two corrupting kills should be crippling, but it should always suck to turn red. It should always be a status you want to get rid of as soon as possible. Turning red is a warning. After very few un-purged ones you should feel you're digging your own grave.

There are already incentives for players to fight back against attackers, even when they know they will die. The death penalties for purples are half the normal one. I'd be surprised if it became the norm for people to just wait to die when green, dying always suck, if they can cut their loses in half, most people will.

Anything can become problematic in a way that wasn't intended.

Why should people be compelled to allow others to grow and become a threat to them and their people? If I allow them to flourish in my territory, it is my responsibility if they overpower me in the future.

As @NiKr pointed out, large groups killing everyone in their path is normal, and solo players being overwhelmed is also common. But then, in the future, when you encounter those same players alone, they will be green and not subject to attack?

Do you understand? What if the system was even better? If someone kills me under any circumstances, then I am permitted to kill them without any consequences in the future, regardless of their flag status.

Consider all of the MMO games where good solo fights have become rare and all PvP is about having larger numbers. How can we address this issue with the carebearly Corruption system?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    If killed by a bounty hunter: apply the penalties and make them a prisoner, forcing them to work and generate income for their victims, the bounty hunter, and the node. Where they can cleanse their corruption 10 times faster.
    As I said before, would only agree to this if the BH that caught me (or at least any BH) had to stand next to me and oversee all my actions (probably with an anti-afk mechanic too, cause I'd imagine people would just leave some twink there).

Disagree with the x10 speed too, cause it would definitely lead to a couple of friends (or a group of them) just PKing a ton of people, then killing the PKer(s) with their BH and removing their corruption really quickly while also giving that BH all the resource from the prison.

Supervising? To me, it is enough if the BH defeats a red player.

I have considered the possibility of people using bounty hunter alts/friends to send PKs to jail , but this strategy will not actually be profitable. If the payment for prison labor is divided equally among the node, the victim and the bounty hunter, with each receiving 33% of the payment, then this means that 66% of the payment will not go to the bounty hunter's alt or friend.

You would be better off not Pkiling and go farm by yourself to yourself.

Since the payment is very split, this would not be a reliable source of income, you would have to be a BH who actually sent many PKs to jail, having least 3 or 4 prisioners simultaneously.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Supervising? To me, it is enough if the BH defeats a red player.
    I've explained here before why I want that.
    I have considered the possibility of people using bounty hunter alts/friends to send PKs to jail , but this strategy will not actually be profitable. If the payment for prison labor is divided equally among the node, the victim and the bounty hunter, with each receiving 33% of the payment, then this means that 66% of the payment will not go to the bounty hunter's alt or friend.

You would be better off not Pkiling and go farm by yourself to yourself.

Since the payment is very split, this would not be a reliable source of income, you would have to be a BH who actually sent many PKs to jail, having least 3 or 4 prisioners simultaneously.
    That only applies if your PK was just for fun rather than to secure content. But in the case you did PK for a more meaningful reason, your friend receiving a part of your income would just be an additional benefit for your group. Though again, that's only if the prison system's income goes to everyone else other than the PKer.

And I think that my suggestion of "BH gotta be present around the PK at all times in the prison" would reduce that friend group interaction, because your PKing would now be wasting 2 people's time rather than one. The 33% of income could be a relative benefit, but as long as the corruption clearing is not faster than normal - your whole scheme of PKs is just wasting time, so I think that it would still be beneficial for the corruption system's goal of "reduce the amount of PKing in the game".
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sometimes I feel like I'm in a mad house with the same loops on repeat.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like I'm in a mad house with the same loops on repeat.
    We all are :)
  • Options
    Anything can become problematic in a way that wasn't intended.

Why should people be compelled to allow others to grow and become a threat to them and their people? If I allow them to flourish in my territory, it is my responsibility if they overpower me in the future.

Sorry mate, but what you're basically saying is: "I don't want serious pvp competition because my friends and I want to pve on our own. Let's kill them while they're weak so we can keep our little garden safe."
    As @NiKr pointed out, large groups killing everyone in their path is normal, and solo players being overwhelmed is also common. But then, in the future, when you encounter those same players alone, they will be green and not subject to attack?

Being green is the default status, nothing prevent anyone to attack, and kill, a green player, except their own reticence.
    Do you understand? What if the system was even better? If someone kills me under any circumstances, then I am permitted to kill them without any consequences in the future, regardless of their flag status.

And there is the crux of the problem. You don't want there to be consequences, at least hard coded ones that can't be avoided. I'm sure you'd be fine if it was "left in the hands of the playerbase to rule themselves", because we know how ineffective and easy to avoid that can be. It's not cheating; It's cheaping.

:p
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    @Percimes murdering everybody is the serious competition, this is the real meta behind any game.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    @NiKr @tautau @Optics2134 @Veeshan @Solvryn @Chicago @Neurath @Trenker putting together all the angles, I thought of something simple, but fun:

The prison could be designed as a dungeon where PKs are sent to engage in both PvE and PvP activities with the goal of collecting loot and depositing it in the dungeon's storage to pay their fines or bail. For instance, if a PK has corruption points equivalent to 10,000 gold, he must bring sufficient materials and loot, including from other PKs in the dungeon, to cover his debt. The deposited riches will be used to gradually pay off fines/bail and purify the corruption.

PKs who are merely griefers and cannot engage in proper PvP will have a tough time in the dungeon, which could become their own personal hell. They may remain there until they have paid off all their debt and purify themselves. The payment should be divided among the victim, node, and bounty hunter. Alternatively, a PK could pay 3 times more from their own pocket and spend only a few minutes in the dungeon.

PKs will continuously drop loot in the dungeon, and some may even leave the dungeon naked, making the experience a gamble. The victims, bounty hunters, and nodes will benefit from this system, which requires no supervision. Prisioners may freely roam the dungeon and work towards their purification, nobody else can enter the prision.

THIS IS A BLAST!!!!!
    Split the loot in three parts, 33% among the victims, 33% among bounty hunters who caught him, 33% among the hunters' nodes; subject to changes.

So, let's imagine the PK killed three different people:
    • guy #1: corruption points worth 33.000 gold
    • guy #2: corruption points worth 2.000 gold
    • guy #3: corruption points worth 8.000 gold

First come, first served!
    The PK will have to continue farming in the dungeon and gradually pay off those debts to reduce his corruption points. The server will handle the inner workings, and the PK won't need to know the specifics.

PKs who gain corruption by killing low-level players will most likely spend a longer time in prison, also they will probably die many times and end up naked, nakeds will resort to gathering only since the other PKs already looted and deposited the stolen gear to purify their own corruption points. Those who gained corruption in a level 50 vs. level 50 fight will have very little corruption points and will leave really quick.

Can you imagine, you kill another PK in prision and he drops a legendary item, what do you do then? Deposit it in the dungeon's storage and purify your corruption or try to hold to it? :#
  • Options
    @NiKr @tautau @Optics2134 @Veeshan @Solvryn @Chicago @Neurath @Trenker putting together all the angles, I thought of something simple, but fun:

The prison could be designed as a dungeon where PKs are sent to engage in both PvE and PvP activities with the goal of collecting loot and depositing it in the dungeon's storage to pay their fines or bail. For instance, if a PK has corruption points equivalent to 10,000 gold, he must bring sufficient materials and loot, including from other PKs in the dungeon, to cover his debt. The deposited riches will be used to gradually pay off fines/bail and purify the corruption.

PKs who are merely griefers and cannot engage in proper PvP will have a tough time in the dungeon, which could become their own personal hell. They may remain there until they have paid off all their debt and purify themselves. The payment should be divided among the victim, node, and bounty hunter. Alternatively, a PK could pay 3 times more from their own pocket and spend only a few minutes in the dungeon.

PKs will continuously drop loot in the dungeon, and some may even leave the dungeon naked, making the experience a gamble. The victims, bounty hunters, and nodes will benefit from this system, which requires no supervision. Prisioners may freely roam the dungeon and work towards their purification, nobody else can enter the prision.

THIS IS A BLAST!!!!!
    Split the loot in three parts, 33% among the victims, 33% among bounty hunters who caught him, 33% among the hunters' nodes; subject to changes.

The PK will have to continue farming in the dungeon and gradually pay off those debts to reduce his corruption points. The server will handle the inner workings, and the PK won't need to know the specifics.

PKs who gain corruption by killing low-level players will most likely spend a longer time in prison, also they will probably die many times and end up naked, nakeds will resort to gathering only since the other PKs already looted and deposited the stolen gear to purify their own corruption points. Those who gained corruption in a level 50 vs. level 50 fight will have very little corruption points and will leave really quick.

Can you imagine, you kill another PK in prision and he drops a legendary item, what do you do then? Deposit it in the dungeon's storage and purify your corruption or try to hold to it? :#

I mean, everything about this sounds horrible.

It's all just pointless and stupid. Literally all of it. It makes the game worse.

you want the corruption system to lead to content, fine, what ever.

The thing is, it already does.

The beauty of the system Intrepid have now though is the content corruption leads you to is the content that is already in the game. This means that not only do Intrepid not need to spend time making your prison dungeon (which will directly result in some other dungeon not being made), but it means people participating in that content the game is going to have already now have an additional element to it. Someone may be out just farming animal skins and see a red working off some corruption, that makes the mundane activity that this player had at least somewhat more enjoyable - that player may chose to attack, may chose to ignore, or may chose to co-operate.

The entire point of the corruption system being worked off in the game world is to keep players together. Your suggestion is literally forcing players apart, and potentially keeping players in that partitioned off area for an extended period of time.

It is literally the opposite of what an MMO should do. An MMO should be doing everything it can to keep players together - where it makes sense to do so.
  • Options
    Well, I didn't get the first ping but I got the second ping. I agree with Noaani lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    @Noaani you are lying over and over, stop lying, you have no arguments so you have to lie

Should I answer lies? Should I wast my time with you?
    Already wasted, cia

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I pretty much agree with Noaani :)
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2023

THIS IS A BLAST!!!!!

I'm almost positive I've heard Steven say he's not a fan of prison systems in discord because of ArcheAge, I'm inclined to agree.

I like their premise so far with bounty hunting, I just think they need to elaborate and iron things out so it's a bit more coherent. Keeping Bounty Hunters useful, developing around the ideas they already have etc.

And again, maybe corruption needs to circle into the religious node and the law and order portion needs to be apart of the military node.

• Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Well, I didn't get the first ping but I got the second ping. I agree with Noaani lol.

Yeah, sorry. I usually remove any @ in posts I quote, I actually just forgot to do it in this case.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Noaani you are lying over and over, stop lying, you have no arguments so you have to lie

Should I answer lies? Should I wast my time with you?
    Already wasted, cia

I'm not sure how you are using the word "lying".

You seem to be using it to denote any statement you disagree with - which is very much not the correct use of the word.

The correct use of the word is to note something a person says that the person knows is not true. You thinking a thing that I say isn't true doesn't make it a lie, it is only a lie if the person saying the thing knows it isn't true, yet says it anyway.

I don't say things I don't think to be true.

As such, nothing in the post you quoted is a lie.
  • Options
    insomnia wrote: »
    People who have an issue with there being a corruption system, are just people that are angry, they can't be a-holes towards others..

It's impressive how people can say the system is flawed, despite it hasn't been tested yet. But I guess it's arrogance. Because they are so smart, and know what is wrong with it. But they also have the answer. How about we wait till it has been tested.
    The problem is that Intrepid keep releasing new details about this untested system and adding mechanics that go around it. We've learned that greens can't be CCed, so PKs cannot fight back against the hordes of people looking for a freebie from the Red. We also learned that corruption clearance will take a very long time. Then we get news of open seas and node ruins that completely circumvent the corruption system.

So how exactly should we react to the changes (or, revelations) of this system while neither us nor Intrepid have properly tested it. I'd say it's quite fair to hypothesize about the potential problems of the system when Intrepid is literally doing the same by making it more and more diminished in prevalence while also making the punishments harsher.
    insomnia wrote: »
    I have seen what full pvp leads to. High level players running around for hours, killing low level players. To the point where they can't be in a zone and just have to log out. So 1 selfish person can ruin it for a lot of people
    And no one here wants that.

That is because people keep asking about it. Things can still change. They constantly say it on stream Let the system get tested, and give feedback then
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    The flagging system is a semi opt in and out!

Also is an Achilles heel which will bring more development time in every expansion, new update, new system, new event and will bring a plaetoria of considerations and circunvents.

Hordes of purple players will kill every possible solo purple player in their way and in the future when they are found alone they will opt for green.

When the odds aren't optimal for you, then you can just flag yourself as green and make a run with your CC immunity!

This is what happens when a system is made for appeasing the carebears.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Corruption should be related to the use of dark magic, blood rituals, unnatural use of magic force and aligment with corrupted entities! It should be linked to religions and corrupted players be fought by characters with religious affiliations.

PvP should all related to laws and any violations should result in penalties such as fines, bail, kill rights, imprisonment, restricted access, or even pursuit and capture, be fought by bounty hunters and governments.

So people would fight as much as they want and have kill rights on each other when they break the law, plus other consequences depending on the law. Nodes should be able to be lawless for all I care.
  • Options
    GospellGospell Member
    edited March 2023
    For me, it's better to reduce the debuff on the PK. Poor pk players will be targeted by bounty hunters, also so big debuffs. It's very strange to make a mechanic into a game, but very punishing for it. And no one wants to make pk , why make a flagges system then? Have the bounty hunters watch pk players. Let them look for evidence of guilt, find pools of blood, or witnesses to the murder tell them about the crimes.
  • Options
    There are no debuffs against Bounty Hunters for corrupted players.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    If the real intention was protecting the green gatherers, then the debuffs should be applied against greens only, even tough greens are the same evil people who sometimes will come as purple or red.

Let the PvP people fight with no restraints.

It is a ridiculous idea assuming that someone who is using green at this very momment is someone "good", today's green is yesterday's red.