Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #55 - Dream Nodes

Comments

• Options
    Dev Discussion - Dream Nodes
    What type of environment would you like to spend most of your time in? Whether it is in a certain biome or a strategic location, what makes a node desirable to you?

Big glamourus ancient greek/rome buildings that give the node a lot of depth combined with beautiful nature and a massive religious building on top of the hill.
    Also a coliseum where people can fight for trophies.

rgvdc0951pob.png

Also water aspects always make a lot of fun, like rivers or lakes where you can go fishing.

---
    Edit: Follow up questions!
    Do you care more about certain biomes or strategic locations?
    Do you plan on changing the way you play, based on your node?
    Do you want the node you choose to determine how you play the game, or based on the way you play the game will you choose whatever node is best for you at the moment?

1. both equally
    2. Idk, will see in alpha 2
    3. I guess i will adapt the node to my playstyle except if there is not much to choose from what i like…
  • Options
    I can't lie
    . I would be all about owning.a node with a waterfall incorporated.. the possibilities.... like a strategic node only approachable from 1 direction .. threw the choke point.. surrounded by sheer cliffs with a waterfall and river incorporated..or maybe a lake or the ocean..
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, Dream Nodes would be cool. We also need a 6th type...possibly Nightmare Nodes. Thus, not all Nodes can be metro at the same time. :wink:
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Yes, Dream Nodes would be cool. We also need a 6th type...possibly Nightmare Nodes. Thus, not all Nodes can be metro at the same time. :wink:

Imagine the music and environment sounds there.
  • Options
    I saw a picture the other day. ..of a multi tiered underground waterfall river system.. something underground with waterfalls. With limited ways to approach....now we are talking
  • Options
    Julixim wrote: »
    What type of environment would you like to spend most of your time in? Whether it is in a certain biome or a strategic location, what makes a node desirable to you?

Welp, thanks for asking. B)

I am more or less in "Love" with nordic Landscapes up to North-Mediterranean kind of Landscapes. Middle/North European Woods, Forests, Mountains,

ALSO especially both which can be partially or fully snowy - the glorious feeling of chilly and cold, fresh Air and the Landscape either clear and wide, or covered by different Winds blowing Snow around and here and there some Clouds around the Mountains sometimes - even when the Days are sunny usually.

I am aware the other Regions and Bioms are very beautiful as well - but of Course i will keep an special Eye on those beautiful Places i could imagine a Nord from Skyrim to run around in. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I really enjoy the node type theme. Having the different goals of the cities adds variety to the landscape. However, nodes should come in a variety of layouts - no cookie-cutter city templates. Do the towns get to decide on whether they want a wall or if their roads are improved? I would also love to see metropolis cities with unique building landmark/structure styles that differentiate themselves from other nodes of the same type. As such, I am really looking forward to seeing how the religious nodes evolve and what benefits piety gives.

My dream node would include buildings you can enter and which resemble the landscape around it. I want to be able to go into a castle/home/temple and be in awe at the architecture. My dream node would have a robust player market with a variety of shops I can enter and browse through. It would also have hidden discoveries only achieved through exploration. Of course proximity to resources is a plus, but it must have a pleasing view. This could be overlooking a valley below or a city off the coastline, but close enough to the water to see galleons fighting in the distance. Underground biomes are cool, especially when they have their own ecosystem or are cities surrounded by rivers of lava. Perhaps a web-like tunnel or sewer system filled with danger and that only the truly brave dare to map out. These could be potential trade routes, black markets, or entry/exit points to the city if players know the correct path.

I want my dream node to have a variety of weather effects. For example, early morning fog on the lowlands, giant sheets of rain in a sudden downpour that heavily obscures visibility, sandstorms, or creepy forest fog. I don't want perfect visibility all the time. It would also be cool if, during the bouts of rain, the NPCs would go inside their homes or shops and we would conduct business inside. I don't know about others, but I hate being caught outside in a deluge.

In all, I want to pick my node based on my tastes and how I play. However, due to guilds and playing with friends and family, I'll have to bend the knee to be part of where they decide to set up. I'll have to learn to like the node they choose and shape my gameplay around it.
  • Options
    What type of environment would you like to spend most of your time in
    Definitly forrests/ magic forests

Whether it is in a certain biome or a strategic location, what makes a node desirable to you?
    The main thing is gonna be node type. Im definitly gonna go to a military node. Second is biome since i want to play an empyrian in the forest/magical forest. If there are more then one node that fits these things then im gonna go to the one where i like the ppl most but im probably first gonna go to the strategically best. But in the end its probably gonna come down to wich place i like the most based on the location and the ppl while also being a millitarry node in the forest.

Im choosing the node i play in based on the way i want to play in general. Im not sure jet if im gonna choose my crafting main based on my node or not. Im not a huge crafter but im super interested in animal husbandry and im probably just gonna travel to another node for that if my node doesnt have the buildings i need.

Do you want the node you choose to determine how you play the game, or based on the way you play the game will you choose whatever node is best for you at the moment?
    The node should determin the way i play the game in these aspects :
    -the content i play in pve because im close to different pois in different nodes. The resources that are there. Unique story chapters. The type of quests i have to some extend like in milliotyrry you have bountyhunter quests etc. but u should be able to travel to other nodes and do quests there also.
    -The ppl i meet to some extend. It should be a super frequent thing that u see ppl from across the whole map. you shouldnt be completely bound to your node but

It shouldnt do it in :
    - crafting in as you should still be able to travel to another node and use the station there maybe for a higher price

in general it there should be reasons to travel to close nodes or sometimees nodes more far away but there should also be reasons not to travel all across the world all the time and never be at your home node unless you rly want to be traveler or something. But then it would be cool if you could sell secrets you found across the world or crafting areas for materials you found or something to a node when you are not a citizen of a node.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    I was thinking about this last night.. somewhere in the under realm . Have a node/castle freehold were to enter it you have to pass threw a waterfall.. when you come out the other side ,there would be guards posted to keep the undesirables out. Aka red player or invaders. If they try to pass threw the waterfall the guards cut them down before they can clear the waterfall, never truly seeing what slayed them... random thoughts 🤔
  • Options
    f3zv96fipt8u.png
    A town in the plains below two snowy mountains. I picture a scene similar to Rohan in the Lord of the Rings movies.
  • Options
    FreemetaFreemeta Member
    edited September 2023
    my dream:
    something like the last bastion of civilization. survival, poor, hopeless: feels like age of sigmar/darkest dungeon/ post apocalyptic grim dark fantasy.
    708220.jpg
    149486-fantasy-art-fantasy-city-dark-fantasy.jpg

sorry for my bad english, my native langage is french.
  • Options
    RitchieSHRitchieSH Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I have always been a fan of the snowy biomes. Not even necessarily ones that are up in the mountains but that is always a bonus. Something about them just seems peaceful even when enemies are coming at you on all sides. Although, with seasons in play, Im sure ill get more of that than I am used to which will be fun to see the snowy nodes in different environments.

Strategic locations will 100% be a priority though. With everything revolving crafting/economy/node progression, being near key resources that work with what I am focusing on at the time will be a big drive for picking my next home
    I think the change in what I am focusing on as a player will change. It wouldnt make sense for me to want to set out with dreams of war but make my home in a economic node. So while yes the node will change how I play, I will do my best to search out a node that fits my needs if they are active
    Preferably I will find a node that fits what I want to do in that moment. But i'm not opposed to relocating to the other side of the map either if my guild or friends are in more need than what that Node is currently providing me, and if that is the case, I would probably adjust my playstyle to reap the benefits of the node ive made my home in

Subscribe to RitchieSH. You know you want to
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

A: A snowy coastal forest or a northern washington state style forest that opens to a rivendell-esque bay/ ocean basin.... like Iceland's northeast in early June.

If instead you mean the interaction with the environment then I like places with a lot of varied elevation. I love flying and gliding, as well as parkour, climbing, etc. POI like dungeons or castles aren't as interesting as a grand vista to me....but a fort to protect? That would be cool.

Desirability is a trade hub or connector near water. I really love naval trade and the ocean, but a city to which many rivers converge through would also work. A fjord or loch that is a naval trade or critical province along a trade path would be sweet. Obviously the multi-biome is something I'm a big fan of because I also enjoy crafting. So if it's just barren outside of the port/hub I won't be interested even with economic perks.

• Do you care more about certain biomes or strategic locations?
      A: Biomes
    • Do you plan on changing the way you play, based on your node?
      A: I plan to find a biome that works with my general gameplay loops the best.
    • Do you want the node you choose to determine how you play the game, or based on the way you play the game will you choose whatever node is best for you at the moment?
      A: I think it will be a mix weighted towards my general goals of water and long distance trading with a good mix of resources for said trading and things explore/do. Since I prefer harvesting and mining from a gathering perspective I'd probably want something that fits those types of activities and also has a good crafting set-up nearby.

• Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    edited September 2023
    I like dense and old forests with big old trees that creates a green roof of canopies, mystic rays of light and moss covered branches, old windthrows, tree stumps and stones. Would like to have alot to discover and gather in the forest. Would also love to have a small freehold hidden in the forest. Favourite biome would be a northern old-growth forest with a diversity of broad-leaf trees and big old spruces and pine trees. Like the Black Forest in Valheim.

1n0o2y6tt7yu.jpg
    i8whqw020xkv.jpg
    7dua4wxjescp.jpg
    b9mb4qw3sh9v.jpg
    5isxj3v5cugk.jpg
    u4kejuwl3uv6.jpg
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited September 2023
    Freemeta wrote: »
    708220.jpg

That looks like the Thief Remake 2014 or so. Good, ol' Memories of my favourite Stealth Game Series. ^.^

Magic Forests ? Check. I am always hands down for magical Forest-kind of Area's. Or something in the Woods in general, but the more mysterious the better.

Mountain Landscapes ? Nice, but of Course only when it's somewhat to fully snowy. That being said, the Area around in the Middle of the Worldmap will be my first and favourite Choice i think.

" Underground " Nodes ?
    The Dwarven-Heart that is also partially my Motivation in Fantasy Games beats harder when i hear that. >:-]

Never saw any " Underground Landscape " until now. I admit i haven't watched every Footage that the Developers might have provided to this Day.

When the Game finally releases one Day, i just hope that i can find many other, capable Players that also like the same kind of Nodes like me - and of Course help me defend a Node where i wish to settle my Characters at.

Magic Forest ? Check. I bet many Ranger/Elf Character Players would like that.
    Mountains ? Snowy Forests ? Where are my fellow Nord, Vikings, Danes, etc. ? lol

Underground Nodes under the Mountain ? Heyhoh my Dwarven Brothers and Sisters. I would be disappointed if i don't see any of You inside this Game. >;-]

To the last one, i shall link a good Tribute. ^.^ or maybe a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugCE-LyxhOA&t=6s
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    More Songs/Tributes to the Thought of awesome Dwarven-Nodes, hopefully a few also Underground and well-protected from People who just want to destroy and conquer other Nodes. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NylOKfrYR78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXJCdiCTlLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1i7VTf-6RI
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Molag ZaalMolag Zaal Member, Explorer
    A huge busy city full of people with great background music.
  • Options
    GothGhostGothGhost Member
    edited September 2023

To be real I care for both but certain biomes are more important to me even tho I consider myself a semi competitive player.

It depends how invested I am in my node. How many friends, or progress I have there. Otherwise I love change my node to where it fits my playstyle.

Both can be good because I can play the game alone in which I would like to think how to play the game but when you are part of a comunity I take other things in consideration so other things become less important to me.

As for biomes I like gothic theme nodes in a forest where the majority of the players are casters.
  • Options
    I am far more likely to choose a location in game based on the aesthetic of a place versus its tactical location. I would rather play sub-optimally in a pretty location than go to a biome I don't enjoy even if it would serve me better.

Stormy, cold coasts are some of my favorite locations. Lots of fog and ferns and trees. Others have mentioned PNW forests and I agree with them.
  • Options
    ElderjayElderjay Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    An area that leans to the concepts of wild magic where the ideas of things you see in a dream are happening in the world. The area is changed by magic that would typical break the natural "laws" of the world. Like were waterfalls flow up instead instead of down, islands are floating the in the air. Where Points of interest and two different concepts are blended together; like say undead/graveyard and say flow streams of rivers in the air. Take conceptual ideas and mix them to see something different. Would be cool to see modifiers to how my character played, IE some jumps are higher then normal or sprinting slows you down. Ideally the effects of the node modify the game to be more fun and try different concepts/

• Options
    OrbificatorOrbificator Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2023

Definitely more scenic and meaningful rather than strategic. I would want to be in a remote biome, Isolated from others. Perhaps in a difficult-to-reach mountain range, like Machu Picchu. But for the strategic part, perhaps it has super valuable resources due to its remote difficult to reach nature

Biome > Economic > PvP Strategic value.

Very much so, yes. It would be based on the needs of my node. Of course, I would go off and do my own thing, but home is home.

It would feel more "Immersive" for me to have my node dictate my gameplay at least somewhat. I will ultimately settle in a node that I vibe the most with or help create.
    u4ud44oeff0w.gif
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited September 2023
    I'd like to be based in the desert biome, and I really like the way the AoC desert looks so far.

A strategic location is more important to me, though, so I'll end up wherever suits my playstyle best.
  • Options
    Dr3amerADr3amerA Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What type of environment would you like to spend most of your time in?
    I like variety so seasons will help and i like options

Whether it is in a certain biome or a strategic location, what makes a node desirable to you?
    I prefer a strategic location reason to choose a node as well as the locations of the Freehold real estate it comes with. This will be key to me as i would like to have a business in a remote location.
    I would change nodes for a good Freehold location even if it's not my preferred type of node.
    Also what type of benefits i get from said node matter so a good old fashioned pros and cons list is necessary to make a choice.

Do you care more about certain biomes or strategic locations? strategic locations
    Do you plan on changing the way you play, based on your node? I don't plan on it but i could consider it. Pending testing .
    I believe as we play we will search for nodes that will suit our playstyle but as time goes on and the shape of the game changes i would change my play style to be part of an attractive node. But i don't want anything to be determined for me because i choose X node...i want to have the option to change depending on what i find attractive at the time.

Also...underground Node Freehold locations...is it a thing? A freehold in some underground case similar to the picture would make an awesome lair
  • Options
    I like the idea of my node being surrounded by natural boarders like, mountains, rivers, drop offs, valleys or really dense forests. These natural boarders not only makes me feel safe but also help create a structure for the node. It makes it feel less like it was plotted down in the middle for nowhere and more like it has it's own space/area. Open villages and city's often feel too open to me.
  • Options
    RovinRovin Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2023
    I have this idea of a coastal mountain side metropolis. Tasked with scouting weakness of a rival node, You arrive by boat to the rival metropolis. coming into Port the mist begins to clear as you look upon the mountain side and see a city towering upon the cliffs and mountain face. Layers of walls terraced up the mountain side. You quickly begin to realize that this city may be impregnable.

As you land in the wharf you see boatrights building warships and fishing vessles, fisherman selling their catch of the day. The hustle and bustle of this unknown city excites you yet also terrifies, and the patriotism displayed by each citizen, on each building is clear.

You walk further into the city finding the market square, traders from all parts of the world have set up stalls, to sell wares, around the corner you see smith's tending to their forges. Crafting armor and blades of the finest steel. It becomes apparent that while this city is an economic hub of the nation, it does not rely on the trade from outside its borders, it is truly a self sufficient craftsmanship paradise. With military strength to boot.

Climbing higher into the city your find yourself outside the keep, as you look down you can see the homes that overlook the harbor, some built right off the cliff faces, and you start to think maybe I can live here, maybe I can change my life's trade from being a military scout and strike my fortune anew here. One day even I could have one of these cliff side mansions with private access to the sea below.

After some years you've spent here now you've experince every season, in the winter the harbor ices over, and gives way to new trade activities, ice fishing competitions and races become common. In the summer fisherman thrive, as the cool dry summer gives birth to bugs tye fish eat at night.

1. Strategic location is everything.
    2. Would definetky change the way I play, normally in certain mmos I'm trader, but with a city like this commerce and protection of the city would be my primary go to.

When I think about the node, the picture in my mind is ministerith meets the Italian and French Riveria
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited September 2023

From magical or just beautiful Woods, up to rugged and/or Mountain-like Land with huge Rock Massives and deep Ravines and/or high Mountain Faces - i like pretty much all of it. Especially if they go from greenish Landscape to snowy Forests and/or Mountains.

That being said, i am already very satisfied that such an Area exists in the Game.

I am also a great Fan of Under-Earth Landscapes. Kinda like the huge Underdark from Dungeons and Dragons. It has it's own Charme.

[*] Do you care more about certain biomes or strategic locations?

Yes.

[*] Do you plan on changing the way you play, based on your node?

Kinda. I am willing to meet Circumstances half way. I am aware that if i am far to alone or under much to few Players and i can not create a Node together with them no matter what happens,

i may be forced to change Locations and/or Servers to some Degree.

Of Course if i can, i shall chose exactly the Type of Node and Environment that might fit the best with the Way i intend to play my Character/s. ;) . B)

[*] Do you want the node you choose to determine how you play the game, or based on the way you play the game will you choose whatever node is best for you at the moment?

Of Course if i can, i i chose the Node best for my Way of playing and what i wish to do ingame.

If Opportunity is scarce however - i might need to follow some other Peoples' Example and settle somewhere else from where i want to settle first in the Ingame World.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Mirror/crystal dimension with secrets, jumping puzzles, etc.
  • Options
    TokenGamer wrote: »
    Mirror/crystal dimension with secrets, jumping puzzles, etc.

But for whole Nodes / Cities ?

Hmm. I see at least one Topic for " Expansion-Discussion and Idea's " here, this very Days. I think a Mirror/Crystal-Dimension Node would fit very, VERY well for any kind of coming Expansion.

It could be used to be a seperate Area, rather disconnected from loading anything on the Servers of the Ashes-Vanilla Servers. Like back then with Burning Crusade in World of Warcraft.

Jumping Puzzles are only functioning for People who can not use flying Mounts, though.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    JerryDidrikJerryDidrik Member
    edited October 2023
    I'd love to see a fishing village node, haha. I envision myself just fishing all day, selling the fish to a chef and she makes a local specialty that becomes famous around the world. And maybe a fishing guild forms hosting fishing tournaments and send out fishing boats.
  • Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

-Ideally I would like to have a forested biome of some kind in which my node is in a strategically (more economically and PVE strategic) area which gives me access to other biomes nearby (like a node which borders near 1-2 other biomes) and is close enough to the sea.
    -If I had to choose between the two though, I likely would go with strategically placed to benefit my character and progression over a specific aesthetic of biome.

-I am open to trying different gameplay that a node may dictate. However generally I will settle in the long run on a node that compliments the gameplay I find fun and beneficial.

-I like choice in any game, so I will play by choosing my nodes generally. I generally don't like the idea that a node dictates how I play but at times I may decide to change how I'm playing, especially if I'm loyal to a specific guild/group I'm with.
    I could be wrong here, but I think most players will gravitate to the node type they find fun. This could potentially cause an imbalance in players that choose the various node types. Likely a particular node type will be the "favorite" type of most players.