Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption system abuses ?

While waiting for alpha2 my mind is wondering about the corruption system ...

It feel like it can go wrong in both ways : for the griefed and for the non-griefer. The corruption is applied if a combatant kill a non-combatant:
- The combatant can harass the non-combatant (always leaving him low life, preventing him from playing)
- Some guilds/people might use this system to their advantage: bring non-combatant to threat other guilds of getting corrupted if they want to contest or other tricks

It's the good old debate: Is it better to have an innocent person in prison than a guilty one free?

It feels like this kind of system will be very tricky since people will try to abuse it. Does this kind of system exists in other mmorpg ? How did it go ?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Welcome to the rabbit hole. As Oasis would say: Who the fuck is Alice?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023
    You cant see non party members HP. The combatant takes a risk of killing the non combatabt, going red, losing gear upon death.

This system 100% as you see it works in Lineage 2 since 2003. The best open world pvp mmo.
    It's not game breaking.

There are so many mechanics involved which have been covered to prevent abuse. Whatever you think might be a problem, it's not.

Search the forums, read up the 1000 topics before yours, but mostly realize that is is the basic system of Lineage 2, 100% copy paste.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023
    The problem with what you're saying is that if a guild brings along non-combatants, it isn't as if they pose a threat to the rival guild. If they attack, they become combatants.

While they could just be used to attempt what ever content is being contested, this is something that can go both ways.
  • Options
    Dagera wrote: »

It feel like it can go wrong in both ways : for the griefed and for the non-griefer. The corruption is applied if a combatant kill a non-combatant:
    - The combatant can harass the non-combatant (always leaving him low life, preventing him from playing)
    - Some guilds/people might use this system to their advantage: bring non-combatant to threat other guilds of getting corrupted if they want to contest or other tricks

It's the good old debate: Is it better to have an innocent person in prison than a guilty one free?

It feels like this kind of system will be very tricky since people will try to abuse it. Does this kind of system exists in other mmorpg ? How did it go ?

whats wrong with using that tactic to kill someone?

the only downside of the corruption system is that you cant kill a pve griefer without a penalty
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lineage 2 had a very similar system that worked pretty well. This is an improvement on the L2 system and I have hopes that it will work even better.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

the only downside of the corruption system is that you cant kill a pve griefer without a penalty

The only issue i see with corruption system more the flagging system is low level player say lvl 20 attacks a lvl 30 harvesters, lvl 30 person be like yeah i can win this attacks the lvl 20 marks himself as combatant only to be a bait for the lvl 50 hiding nearby to come out and kill the level 30 for no penalty since he was nor a combatant.
    So this leaves the level 30 with no real option die running away slowly and loose more stuff and giving corruption to a character that is disposable to a degree, or fighting abck only to die to the 50 they have no chance against but loose less.

outside of this as long as killing people around your level isnt too punishing im good with corruption system however it does need to be punishing ganking those who clearly have no chance of winning due to level difference.
    I also think killing the same person in the same place should have diminishing returns where the penalty for killing them in that one area is reduced each time so somone farming a spot and somone keeps coming back stealing mobs and so on forcing u to kil them over and over again and u cant do much bout it appart from going deeper into corruption thats an issue with PvE griefer right there and i feel if they die within say 1km of were they previous died the penalty should be reduced if they dont become a combatant this is of course outside of rezz zones so no camping respawn points :P

• Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited September 2023
    Veeshan wrote: »

The only issue i see with corruption system more the flagging system is low level player say lvl 20 attacks a lvl 30 harvesters, lvl 30 person be like yeah i can win this attacks the lvl 20 marks himself as combatant only to be a bait for the lvl 50 hiding nearby to come out and kill the level 30 for no penalty since he was nor a combatant.
    So this leaves the level 30 with no real option die running away slowly and loose more stuff and giving corruption to a character that is disposable to a degree, or fighting abck only to die to the 50 they have no chance against but loose less.

outside of this as long as killing people around your level isnt too punishing im good with corruption system however it does need to be punishing ganking those who clearly have no chance of winning due to level difference.
    I also think killing the same person in the same place should have diminishing returns where the penalty for killing them in that one area is reduced each time so somone farming a spot and somone keeps coming back stealing mobs and so on forcing u to kil them over and over again and u cant do much bout it appart from going deeper into corruption thats an issue with PvE griefer right there and i feel if they die within say 1km of were they previous died the penalty should be reduced if they dont become a combatant this is of course outside of rezz zones so no camping respawn points :P

that isnt an issue. you can always check around to see if there are people nearby before attacking. you can always not attack back too and you could always have a high level with you as well ;3
  • Options
    George: How did the 'Green unable to flag against Red' thing go down in L2? I've been wondering about why a Green shouldn't be able to flag Purple against a Red to save their resources. I didn't play L2, so haven't seen it in action.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Still mad at you, but for the sake of informing everyone I will reply.

If a green attacked or even killed a red they would remain green.
    If a green healed/buffed a red, they would turn purple.
    Does that clarify the mentality of interacting with an outlaw player (red)?
  • Options
    So healing your attacker would help saving resources when he finally kills you? :smile:
  • Options
    Your attacker will have healers.
    Your friends can kill your attackers healer.
  • Options
    - Some guilds/people might use this system to their advantage: bring non-combatant to threat other guilds of getting corrupted if they want to contest or other tricks.

Interesting Thought. How about ... ...

You get Corruption ("evil Points"?) for dealing Damage in the first Place on peaceful Players who haven't attacked You before.

So unimportant from IF you kill another Player or not -> if you have lets say - diminished over Sixty to Seventy Percent of his full Health Bar,

you " WILL " get Corruption Points even if you don't kill him. If he or she heals themselves then -> and You attack said Player/s even FURTHER - you get more Corruption Points according to the Damage you have dealt.

Like : a Player heals himself around +200% to +300% of his full Life/HP Points.

If you continue to attack that Person -> does it REALLY MATTER if said Person doesn't die even a single time, when You have attacked that Person long enough so that you without fail "WOULD" have killed concerned Person several times over,

would that Player not have healed itself to fill up their Lifebear again ?

Who here has played Planetside II for awhile ? Hands up Please who has. ;->

You can get your Weapons locked if you keep damaging your Allies by firing at them. Or running them over with Vehicles (lol).

You CAN GET YOUR WEAPONS LOCKED even if you haven't killed as single Person. Meaning the Ticker/Amount of Points until Punishment for your Actions is dealt, is getting up the more Damage you deal.

I think we can solve this possible Problem mentioned further up, by letting Corruption(points) work the same in Ashes of Creation as they work in Planetside II.

Your Corruption/evil/Bounty(?) Points go up, the more and the longer you intentionally damage, harm - and pester other Players.

Like : You can NOT go around and avoid being marked as evil - even if you kill no one. If you already keep pestering People alone so that they are prevented to move freely, because you shave down their HP enough so that they are basically One- or Two-Hit Kills for everyone NPC Mob that can come around and attack Players,

this should be programmed as such. You decide to harm others -> you get Corruption Points.

Not trying to sound unnecessarily smart here,

but Please let us go with what i suggested, in Case Ashes of Creation doesn't do it already. Simple use a System that gives "Players who target and harm other Players" - NO WAY (lol) to avoid Corruption Points even if they don't kill the Players harmed.

I mean,

we already have the Case that You thought about this possible Issue - so why not fix it right away before it can even become an Issue in the Game ? ;->
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited September 2023
    Raven016 wrote: »
    So healing your attacker would help saving resources when he finally kills you? :smile:

well, thats a good strategy. not sure if we will be able to heal or buff reds outside of our party, but if we can, then you could heal or buff him when you realize he wont stop attacking you until you are dead and you are going to die
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    - Some guilds/people might use this system to their advantage: bring non-combatant to threat other guilds of getting corrupted if they want to contest or other tricks.

Interesting Thought. How about ... ...

You get Corruption ("evil Points"?) for dealing Damage in the first Place on peaceful Players who haven't attacked You before.

So unimportant from IF you kill another Player or not -> if you have lets say - diminished over Sixty to Seventy Percent of his full Health Bar,

you " WILL " get Corruption Points even if you don't kill him. If he or she heals themselves then -> and You attack said Player/s even FURTHER - you get more Corruption Points according to the Damage you have dealt.

Like : a Player heals himself around +200% to +300% of his full Life/HP Points.

If you continue to attack that Person -> does it REALLY MATTER if said Person doesn't die even a single time, when You have attacked that Person long enough so that you without fail "WOULD" have killed concerned Person several times over,

would that Player not have healed itself to fill up their Lifebear again ?

Who here has played Planetside II for awhile ? Hands up Please who has. ;->

You can get your Weapons locked if you keep damaging your Allies by firing at them. Or running them over with Vehicles (lol).

You CAN GET YOUR WEAPONS LOCKED even if you haven't killed as single Person. Meaning the Ticker/Amount of Points until Punishment for your Actions is dealt, is getting up the more Damage you deal.

I think we can solve this possible Problem mentioned further up, by letting Corruption(points) work the same in Ashes of Creation as they work in Planetside II.

Your Corruption/evil/Bounty(?) Points go up, the more and the longer you intentionally damage, harm - and pester other Players.

Like : You can NOT go around and avoid being marked as evil - even if you kill no one. If you already keep pestering People alone so that they are prevented to move freely, because you shave down their HP enough so that they are basically One- or Two-Hit Kills for everyone NPC Mob that can come around and attack Players,

this should be programmed as such. You decide to harm others -> you get Corruption Points.

Not trying to sound unnecessarily smart here,

but Please let us go with what i suggested, in Case Ashes of Creation doesn't do it already. Simple use a System that gives "Players who target and harm other Players" - NO WAY (lol) to avoid Corruption Points even if they don't kill the Players harmed.

I mean,

we already have the Case that You thought about this possible Issue - so why not fix it right away before it can even become an Issue in the Game ? ;->

why? this has been suggested before. its silly. might as well turn off ow pvp.

how about we give corruption to players taking my mobs? or pve griefing me.
  • Options
    Ah shit...
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Players don't own mobs.

• Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    George: How did the 'Green unable to flag against Red' thing go down in L2? I've been wondering about why a Green shouldn't be able to flag Purple against a Red to save their resources. I didn't play L2, so haven't seen it in action.
    PKers are "evil people", so everyone is free to kill one. That's it. That's the logic. There's no "ohh, he MADE me PK him, oh woe is me now everyone is trying to kill me". No. PKing someone not only takes time, but explicit intent. You PK - you fucking die.
  • Options
    Corrupted are monsters, so everyone is free to kill one. That's it. That's the logic.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lots of ways to try and break the system and this will be fully tested in a2
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Players don't own mobs.

they also dont own gatherables, so i can kill them and take them ;)
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    PKers are "evil people", so everyone is free to kill one. That's it. That's the logic. There's no "ohh, he MADE me PK him, oh woe is me now everyone is trying to kill me". No. PKing someone not only takes time, but explicit intent. You PK - you fucking die.
    The S(t)even see them evil.
    But the Others...
    So AoC will be 30% PvP and 70% PvE? :smile:
  • Options
    Players don't own mobs.

You are depraved.
  • Options
    You can kill Non-Combatants and become Corrupted if you want to. Yes.
    And, yes, Non-Combatants do not own gatherables.
  • Options
    why? this has been suggested before. its silly. might as well turn off ow pvp.

Aren't we talking about People who will " NEVER kill You " -> but always keep pestering your Character by attacking You until you are very low on Health - so you can not even run around freely without feeling a weaker Mob might kill You ? lol

Because it sure sounded like that. But then -> i read it will never be fully sure how much "HP" your Target has that you are fighting against ?

People (Enemies) can not really see your Health Bar ? That would mean, hostile Players usually run a HIGH Chance of always killing you - even if they plan to do just what i mentioned again right now.

Maybe i am overthinking things.

Maybe we don't even need a Punishment-System like in Planetside. Who knows ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    You PK - you fucking die.

But what about People creating their "own Groups" (Bandits for Example?) and then start terrorising the law-abiding fellow Players ? >;-]

I am actually looking forward of People trying that. High Risk and high Reward, i read. I wonder how much that also counts for People who actively hunt other Players.

Plus the Bountyhunter-System sounds AWESOME !!
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Players don't own mobs.

You are depraved.

Depraved and wicked, hrr hrr hrr. Ohh, what would we do without our charming Villains ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    But what about People creating their "own Groups" (Bandits for Example?) and then start terrorising the law-abiding fellow Players ? >;-]
    Probably easier to be Pirates.

I am actually looking forward of People trying that. High Risk and high Reward, i read. I wonder how much that also counts for People who actively hunt other Players.

Plus the Bountyhunter-System sounds AWESOME !!
    If you're killing Non-Combatants, you will become Corrupt.
    You're free to try that.
  • Options
    If you're killing Non-Combatants, you will become Corrupt.
    You're free to try that.

But i would need an actual Reason to do that. >;-]

It would need to be somehow profitable. I mean, we all know Player-Killers "AND" People who take only Fun and Pleasure in fighting, killing "and" pestering other Players,

exist.

But in neither Game i ever played - not even Sea of Thieves ('cause Pirates ;) ) - i actually enjoyed hunting other Players. Especially not compared to all the nice PvE Stuff that i can do.

Usually, PvP comes always to me. Even if i play Characters one would describe as dark.

You would have a " MUCH " higher Chance to see me participate in Battles between two Cities/Nodes, than catching me running around and hunt People in the Wilderness like some Murder Hobo. Hahahah. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    People (Enemies) can not really see your Health Bar ? That would mean, hostile Players usually run a HIGH Chance of always killing you - even if they plan to do just what i mentioned again right now.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Health
    Players that are not in the same party, raid, alliance, or guild will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values.[3][1][2]
    A player's name plate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have taken.[1][2][4]

I hope this changes to "can't see changes at all". With a, supposed, ttk of 30s, if you're hitting someone for longer than even just a few seconds (w/o them fighting back) - you're planning to kill them and deserve to get corruption.

Any self-respecting pvper can just do their weakest hit as a challenge. If their target doesn't respond - they don't want to pvp. Other dicks who go around continuously attacking people for no damn reason can go quite literally die (in game).
    But what about People creating their "own Groups" (Bandits for Example?) and then start terrorising the law-abiding fellow Players ?
    Good luck to them. Corruption damps your stats if you have too much of it and it fucks you over if you die having it.

Being a Red players is not meant to be a gameplay style.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited September 2023
    Veeshan wrote: »

that isnt an issue. you can always check around to see if there are people nearby before attacking. you can always not attack back too and you could always have a high level with you as well ;3

not realy they can be behind a rock tree 100m away on a mount waiting for you to swing back at this lowbie hitting you not to mention u dont have the luxury of looking around when somone hitting you aswell to give it a gopod look just to check if somone high level is nearby

also rogues will have some kinda of stealth option one would thinkg (not a true stealth but certainaly harder to detect