Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption system abuses ?

Comments

• Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Nah. Account wide pk would suck. I know a lot of people don't rp but from an rp stand point account wide anything sucks.
    Suck for who? Those who want to PK on another character to avoid the precise rules that are in place to stop people from PKing too much?

If you have a PK alt - you wouldn't care that its PK count influences your main because you wouldn't be PKing on your main. And if you're PKing on both - you're avoiding the punishment.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2023
    What punishment do you refer to? You want to tarnish the public reputation of an honour based toon with that of a dishonourable toon.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What punishment do you refer to? You want to tarnish the public reputation of an honour based toon with that of a dishonourable toon.
    Alts should be separate enough to let you have those separate RP experiences, but not let you kill x2 people because your chars are completely separated. Especially considering that bad actors won't just do it x2, but instead will do xY, where Y is the amount of chars you can have on your account.

This is why I dislike "family" names on characters. Each alt should be its own thing.
  • Options
    Yeah. I understand your point but if a person wants to grind corruption off of 8 toons then I say let them waste their time. I want bounty hunters to exist so can you imagine a bounty hunter sharing corruption penalties with a corrupted alt? It boggles my mind.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

gameplay > meta rp
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Depraved wrote: »

gameplay > meta rp

Meta rp is game play. I bet I could play a stale game twice as long through rp than you could through standard gameplay.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yeah. I understand your point but if a person wants to grind corruption off of 8 toons then I say let them waste their time. I want bounty hunters to exist so can you imagine a bounty hunter sharing corruption penalties with a corrupted alt? It boggles my mind.
    You wouldn't need to grind it off, unless Intrepid forbids us from deleting corrupted characters.

How would BH "share" penalties? The whole point of the BH is that he doesn't PK and instead hunts those.
  • Options
    you could for sure. use your imagination and all that. but what i mean is preventing abuse through gameplay > meta rp

its more important that people dont abuse alts than having someone rp "ruined' because the pk count is account wide. if you want to rp, you can always not pk on that character? no one will know
  • Options
    Meta rp is game play. I bet I could play a stale game twice as long through rp than you could through standard gameplay.
    But would you be able to play it twice as long if bad actors can do 8 times as much shitty things? Wouldn't that destroy the whole RP scene, because any dick can just go to their alt and start abusing your group/activity?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If someone engages in RMT (like buying gold), uses a forbidden add-on program (such as a bot program or a combat enhancer), or in any way breaks the EULA then the permaban certainly should be account wide. If it were possible, I would be happy if such infractions applied to the person - ban the credit-card user from ever playing again.

But if someone does permitted gameplay on a character, like going red, then the punishment (the PK count) ought to only relate to that character/toon.

If the playing community knows the main character of the PK toon, then the community can treat the main character as it decides to.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    You wouldn't need to grind it off, unless Intrepid forbids us from deleting corrupted characters.

How would BH "share" penalties? The whole point of the BH is that he doesn't PK and instead hunts those.

That's what I don't understand. What do you mean when you say corruption penalties should be shared? It sounds like a carpet dynamic to me which I disagree with. Also, the amount of time it will take to level 8 toons to an appropriate level to gank is like a year...deleting these toons means each year you have to relevel. That is a huge waste of time and investment for little pay off. This is coming from an old ganker by the way.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited September 2023
    That's what I don't understand. What do you mean when you say corruption penalties should be shared? It sounds like a carpet dynamic to me which I disagree with.
    It's the "karmic" punishment. Your account killed 200 people, but your main character can kill another 10 w/o a problem, because all alts have separate PK counts.
    Also, the amount of time it will take to level 8 toons to an appropriate level to gank is like a year...deleting these toons means each year you have to relevel. That is a huge waste of time and investment for little pay off. This is coming from an old ganker by the way.
    Except you don't need to spend a year at all. Even if low lvl characters or casuals seize to exist in the game and gear scaling is so damn bad that lvl25char can't even do dmg to a lvl50 char - leveling up to, say, 35-40 on a fully established server with known routes will most likely take a week or so, if not less. And throughout that leveling process, any lowbie that you see could be a potential target as well.

For a griefer that IS the content, so it's not as if they're wasting time.

Either way, we've got no clue if BH system even exists rn. And as Steven said, if the system gets abused enough - they'll change it to prevent that abuse. And one of the biggest current abuses, imo, is PK alts.
  • Options
    I think you don't understand the practice. A ganker likes to one shot people - hence why they attack low levels at max level. Its not about killing low levels per say, its about the power dynamic. Killing low levels whilst levelling will slow you right down. Anyone can then kill you and take your stuff. It's just not conducive to good ganking business. Also, you have to find people who won't fight back in a pvx game lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    All of this will be clearer, testable, and adjusted continuously in A2. Until then I’m not worried at all.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

That's what I don't understand. What do you mean when you say corruption penalties should be shared? It sounds like a carpet dynamic to me which I disagree with. Also, the amount of time it will take to level 8 toons to an appropriate level to gank is like a year...deleting these toons means each year you have to relevel. That is a huge waste of time and investment for little pay off. This is coming from an old ganker by the way.

mmorpg are a marathon, not a sprint. you are investing a year to reap the rewards for the next 10
  • Options

mmorpg are a marathon, not a sprint. you are investing a year to reap the rewards for the next 10

I'm not investing anything mate. I might not even be able to play if my Mrs throws a fit. I've cut back on the games just to be able to slink into aoc. However, family life is more than tolerable.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited September 2023

I'm not investing anything mate. I might not even be able to play if my Mrs throws a fit. I've cut back on the games just to be able to slink into aoc. However, family life is more than tolerable.

i meant you as in people in general xD
  • Options
    Oh okay bro. No worries 😀 pub talk and all 😉
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Red players will have some of the best drops in the game...potential full gear sets, weapons, mats...all kinds of crap might drop when you kill a red. Fools (particularly high-level ones) who go red are like Christmas morning for all the rest of us!

Now THAAAT sounds delightful ... ... ... >:-)

Veeshan wrote: »
    99% of them will be using easy to get throw away gear and take a more challenging fight due to being less geared

Like in DarkSouls. x'D People fighting in their Underwear or in Rags.

TRUE MURDER HOBOS in a Sense, ha ha ha hah.

yeah in darfall some people ran around naked with a couple of regs to cast like 20 spells before running out so they didnt even loose those :p
  • Options
    High numbers of PK count will fuck over your character in more ways than just "omg, I dropped an item". This is why I'm pretty certain people will just use alts to PK, which is also why I want PK count to be account-wide.

I would agree with that. It would reflect the player's personality behind the characters. That is more important if the game tries to bring players together and create bonds.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited September 2023
    Nah. Account wide pk would suck. I know a lot of people don't rp but from an rp stand point account wide anything sucks.
    Suck for who? Those who want to PK on another character to avoid the precise rules that are in place to stop people from PKing too much?

If you have a PK alt - you wouldn't care that its PK count influences your main because you wouldn't be PKing on your main. And if you're PKing on both - you're avoiding the punishment.

Jepp. Because for People who want to do like : only AND ONLY PK'ing, the PK'ing is the whole Content.

I bet for them, it doesn't even matter at all if they get flagged Red with ALL of their Characters for a certain Time, in which one gets flagged Red/corrupted for repeated Playerkillings. 😅 . 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't want to trigger such a discussion ...

Personnally I'm fine knowing this system has already existed in the past (L2). Sure it won't be perfect and maybe it will need some tuning at first, but it looks good enough for the purpose of this game

PS: I've discovered the meme thread, and it seems to be a recurring topic. Sorry community :blush:
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited September 2023
    I think you don't understand the practice. A ganker likes to one shot people - hence why they attack low levels at max level. Its not about killing low levels per say, its about the power dynamic. Killing low levels whilst levelling will slow you right down. Anyone can then kill you and take your stuff. It's just not conducive to good ganking business. Also, you have to find people who won't fight back in a pvx game lol.
    Funny you say that when literally within the first week of me playing the game I was trapped in a small village and couldn't exit it because there was a mid-lvl PKer in glass-cannon gear that was PKing every lowbie who was in that village.

I think YOU don't understand the practice of PK dicks in a pvp game :) Because I've experienced it from pretty much all sides of the conflict throughout my L2 gameplay.
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I bet for them, it doesn't even matter at all if they get flagged Red with ALL of their Characters for a certain Time, in which one gets flagged Red/corrupted for repeated Playerkillings. 😅 . 😁
    I'm not asking for corruption on all characters. I'm simply asking for PK count to be account-wide.

That way, you can still PK once on your alt, but if your overall PK count is smth like 20++ - you won't be able to kill more because your stats will be in the shitter, especially if you're on a low-mid char with a weak gear build.

My suggestion should, in theory, prevent the exact abuse I'm talking about with Neurath. If someone decides to level up a full account of alts and then gear them all up in semi-good gear and then be willing to remove their PK count to do their PKing all over again - I'd be fine with that, because that takes a muuuch bigger investment and would have much bigger periods of downtime in-between PKs.

Also, my suggestion includes requirement of "only your highest lvl character can reduce PK count", so the costs are super high too.
  • Options
    Funny you say that when literally within the first week of me playing the game I was trapped in a small village and could exit it because there was a mid-lvl PKer in glass-cannon gear that was PKing every lowbie who was in that village.

I think YOU don't understand the practice of PK dicks in a pvp game :) Because I've experienced it from pretty much all sides of the conflict throughout my l2 gameplay

Yeah. I had 1783 kills by the time I left the starting zone in Age of Conan. I was still one shotting lower levels in my blue gear at lvl 20. I made a lot of people rage quit. I also had a lot of threats which were never actuated lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yeah. I had 1783 kills by the time I left the starting zone in Age of Conan. I was still one shotting lower levels in my blue gear at lvl 20. I made a lot of people rage quit. I also had a lot of threats which were never actuated lol.
    And that's the exact shit I'd want to prevent. And Steven seems to want that as well.

I mentioned punching up only in the case where the game has 0 lowbie players (which is a problem on its own as well). Though I've had a few situations where my friends and I would go to a higher lvled location to just fuck with people there. Majority obviously just hit back, but some didn't. And if Intrepid manages to hold passive/casual players' attention for long enough - there'd be enough people who don't hit back for the bad actors to prey upon.
  • Options
    It's impossible to prevent. It just is a fact. At what level ranges these facets happen is the only denominator.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It's impossible to prevent. It just is a fact. At what level ranges these facets happen is the only denominator.
    The amount can be reduced though. One full account of PK alts could kill 80 times (if there's 8 chars and 10 kills is where you start feeling stat damping in a meaningful way).

An account-wide PK count would change that 80 into 18, because any subsequent kill would stat dampen that character and then the amount of death you'd need to go through would also stat dampen the character even in a non-red state.

I still see no damn reason why this shouldn't be the case. The only people who'd be, in any way, affected by this are the exact people you'd want to stop.
  • Options
    Account wide punishment seems harsh for people that want a PK toon (or two) and then other goody toons
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    Account wide punishment seems harsh for people that want a PK toon (or two) and then other goody toons
    If you have a PK alt - you're free to PK on that alt. The only impact on your main (or good) char it would have is if you want to reduce the PK count, because in my suggestion you'd need to pay for it on your highest lvl char.

Being a "pk player" is not supposed to be a thing. It's not a gameplay style and the system is supposed to prevent it from happening. But even if you do have an alt for that exact purpose - your main is still completely fine. Just don't PK on your main.
  • Options
    Dagera wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't want to trigger such a discussion ...

PS: I've discovered the meme thread, and it seems to be a recurring topic. Sorry community :blush:

Certainly don’t need to apologize. This has been a frequent debate over the last six years, since the corruption system is THE linchpin for Ashes’ PvX. Worthy of the conversation - particularly for new folks. I just think A2 testing is going to put years of speculation to rest and finally give us something concrete to mine ad nauseam.

Welcome to the boards btw.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png