Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What role should instanced dungeons play in AoC?

Comments

• Options
    They're adding in tiered difficulties to dungeons/raids but probably not what people are likely thinking or used to as you find in other MMORPGs
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    so they will not drop only from the instanced dungeons... That is kind of my point. unless intrepid wants to slow down things.

Giving the top 9% of each server the BiS gear and have everyone else not have access would be the worst decision. We want the BiS gear to matter but not so only 9% or less can ever obtain and maintain the gear. There should be decisions when to use the bis gear and when not to, to keep the maintenance and repairs low. The point is to have a functional economy, a functional competition and a functional resource sink. The gold and resource sinks will slow production down but we also don't want production to be choked dry.

repair costs dont matter for this argument, unless you need the same mats that you get in the instanced dungeons that only 10% players can get T_T

my point is about slowing progression for the whole server, artificially that's it, and taking value away from the crating or freehold system.

i still prefer gearing up through dungeons over crafting, but not what ashes is going for, and most likely not a good fit if you can just do an instance and get the best or even 2nd best gear while completely avoiding pvp in a pvx game.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They're adding in tiered difficulties to dungeons/raids but probably not what people are likely thinking or used to as you find in other MMORPGs

Nah. It fits beautifully for the PvX Environment. I imagine we can even contest the 1% raids. We have the ability to manipulate boss telegraphs and use the boss moves against opponents. Should be an epic fight around world bosses and contested bosses. I only really care about contestation and difficult raids. I don't care about instances per say, however, for years I assumed the hardest content would be in instances thanks to a short handed quote.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    so they will not drop only from the instanced dungeons... That is kind of my point. unless intrepid wants to slow down things.

Giving the top 9% of each server the BiS gear and have everyone else not have access would be the worst decision. We want the BiS gear to matter but not so only 9% or less can ever obtain and maintain the gear. There should be decisions when to use the bis gear and when not to, to keep the maintenance and repairs low. The point is to have a functional economy, a functional competition and a functional resource sink. The gold and resource sinks will slow production down but we also don't want production to be choked dry.

repair costs dont matter for this argument, unless you need the same mats that you get in the instanced dungeons that only 10% players can get T_T

my point is about slowing progression for the whole server, artificially that's it, and taking value away from the crating or freehold system.

i still prefer gearing up through dungeons over crafting, but not what ashes is going for, and most likely not a good fit if you can just do an instance and get the best or even 2nd best gear while completely avoiding pvp in a pvx game.

Yes you do need the same resources mate. Hence why its a resource sink. I think the instances will give lesser gear now. I don't think there will be high end instances because of my exact concerns about guilds turtling in a PvX game with no risk/reward.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Nah. It fits beautifully for the PvX Environment. I imagine we can even contest the 1% raids. We have the ability to manipulate boss telegraphs and use the boss moves against opponents. Should be an epic fight around world bosses and contested bosses. I only really care about contestation and difficult raids. I don't care about instances per say, however, for years I assumed the hardest content would be in instances thanks to a short handed quote.

so you're disagreeing with me agreeing that there is a form of more difficult content?
  • Options

so you're disagreeing with me agreeing that there is a form of more difficult content?

No. I said nah in agreement that people will expect traditional raids/instances/dungeons and be surprised.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

No. I said nah in agreement that people will expect traditional raids/instances/dungeons and be surprised.

oh, that's not what I understood from it when you replied that way.
  • Options

Yeah, my bad, i sometimes forget my local ideations don't translate well in text ;)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Yeah, my bad, i sometimes forget my local ideations don't translate well in text ;)

no worries :smile:
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »
    No I don't want schematic materials, only resources to craft gear. I think the schematics should come from elsewhere otherwise you'll have a monopoly again. I haven't heard schematic materials can be dropped in PvP, only resources. By schematic materials I mean the blueprints for the professions. Don't forgot, you won't be in the instances alone, I will also aim to be in the single digits so I'm not trying to be harsh to you just fair to us both.

Again, blueprints vs materials dropping is a different discussion.

The schematic materials can drop from bosses (Blueprints). I don't think they can drop from players. So, only things that can drop from players (I call them resources because I don't know exactly what will drop but it wont be materials because I think you have to collect cotton and silk elsewhere). Thus, I still don't want gear or mats to drop in the single digit instances - just Mounts, Resources and Costumes for the achievements. I suppose we'll get some sort of Hides but the leather material would be made outside the instance by the leather workers I assume.

As far as I am concerned, blueprints and schematics are both just different terms for recipes. Best just call them that.

Materials and resources are essentially the same thing - the components that you use to create the item in a recipe. There may or may not be processing required for them, but resources and materials are the same thing.

As to what should and should not drop - I don't care about recipes. Since recipes are committed to a players recipe book and are thus then able to be used ad infinitum, they are an economic reward rather than a character progression reward.

Materials/resources (same thing) should drop. That is where character progression comes from. You take these resources to someone that has the recipe for the item you want made, along with all the other resources that are needed, and they make the item for you.
  • Options
    No I don't want schematic materials, only resources to craft gear. I think the schematics should come from elsewhere otherwise you'll have a monopoly again. I haven't heard schematic materials can be dropped in PvP, only resources. By schematic materials I mean the blueprints for the professions. Don't forgot, you won't be in the instances alone, I will also aim to be in the single digits so I'm not trying to be harsh to you just fair to us both.

Again, blueprints vs materials dropping is a different discussion.

The schematic materials can drop from bosses (Blueprints). I don't think they can drop from players. So, only things that can drop from players (I call them resources because I don't know exactly what will drop but it wont be materials because I think you have to collect cotton and silk elsewhere). Thus, I still don't want gear or mats to drop in the single digit instances - just Mounts, Resources and Costumes for the achievements. I suppose we'll get some sort of Hides but the leather material would be made outside the instance by the leather workers I assume.

As far as I am concerned, blueprints and schematics are both just different terms for recipes. Best just call them that.

Materials and resources are essentially the same thing - the components that you use to create the item in a recipe. There may or may not be processing required for them, but resources and materials are the same thing.

As to what should and should not drop - I don't care about recipes. Since recipes are committed to a players recipe book and are thus then able to be used ad infinitum, they are an economic reward rather than a character progression reward.

Materials/resources (same thing) should drop. That is where character progression comes from. You take these resources to someone that has the recipe for the item you want made, along with all the other resources that are needed, and they make the item for you.

The three terms are interchangeable, even on the linked page. The three terms all drop from bosses. Its quite irrelevant really because the instances i referred to don't exist. Thus, BiS resources won't drop from instances.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Yes you do need the same resources mate. Hence why its a resource sink.
    I don't think we know this.

If an item requires 3 different mob dropped materials, and 750 iron bars refined down to 15 refined iron plates, we currently have no reason to know if the repair cost for the item will be the mob dropped materials, or the iron.

I strongly suspect it will be the iron, as the purpose of the system is as an economic motivator rather than a reason to keep people running content and holding on to the rewards.
    I think the instances will give lesser gear now. I don't think there will be high end instances because of my exact concerns about guilds turtling in a PvX game with no risk/reward.
    If it is possible to turtle down in instances, then Intrepid are actually shit at game development.

Assume they are not shit - and as a result assume this will not be possible.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

If an item requires 3 different mob dropped materials, and 750 iron bars refined down to 15 refined iron plates, we currently have no reason to know if the repair cost for the item will be the mob dropped materials, or the iron.

I strongly suspect it will be the iron, as the purpose of the system is as an economic motivator rather than a reason to keep people running content and holding on to the rewards.
    I think the instances will give lesser gear now. I don't think there will be high end instances because of my exact concerns about guilds turtling in a PvX game with no risk/reward.
    If it is possible to turtle down in instances, then Intrepid are actually shit at game development.

Assume they are not shit - and as a result assume this will not be possible.

There are no instances to turtle in. The story instances won't be raid size to my knowledge. There will be raid instances but I think the access ways are open world. So all good.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    There are no instances to turtle in. The story instances won't be raid size to my knowledge. There will be raid instances but I think the access ways are open world. So all good.
    This makes no sense to me.

What do you mean by access ways are open world? Assuming you mean what I have to assume you mean, all instances in any MMORPG should be accessed in the open world.

Also, an instance being accessed via the open world wouldn't prevent a guild from turtling down in it if the game allowed for it.
  • Options
    This makes no sense to me.

What do you mean by access ways are open world? Assuming you mean what I have to assume you mean, all instances in any MMORPG should be accessed in the open world.

Also, an instance being accessed via the open world wouldn't prevent a guild from turtling down in it if the game allowed for it.

I'm not sure what the devs mean. However, the devs said the instances will be at the end of some open world dungeons. So, most of the dungeon is open world and there's a little instance for the main boss at the end or something along those lines. So, its not really possible to turtle.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Instanced dungeons might end up being fun for some players.
    What if those players will keep paying subscription and play only in those dungeons?

well, then that will ruin other systems that require players to be out in the open doing things. you can stay in your dungeon all you want, but then who is going to go out and mine stuff, chop trees, process things, kill the world bosses, get the castles, do the caravans, do the events, upgrade nodes, etc.

what if you have a server where everybody is hiding in their instances? if you have everybody 24/7 in their instances, other systems will not be used and won't progress.

also, how are you going to keep the players doing instances? maybe you will need infinite scaling dungeons like diablo or something xD

A certain max population is intended for a server. 10K maybe.
    Whatever arbitrary number we choose, that number is important only assuming that players are in the same area.
    If IS will create some very interesting content for the instanced dungeons, it can happen that a category of players come to play on those instances. That kind of audience should not diminish the normal open world max player count because instances are supposed to run on different computers, as many as needed.
    The only problem happens if the open world players will be tempted to enter and play instances too.
    If there is no interaction between the instace players with the open world players, then it would be like having two separate games.
    The same problem can be with arenas:
    hleV wrote: »
    People will not pay monthly subscription just to play in arenas.
    If it's their most enjoyable content, yes they will.

if players want to throw money to IS every month for a specific content, IS must take care to balance the interaction between them, to keep the open world players in the open world, instead of encouraging or even forcing them to enter instances.

If there are doubts that IS can balance interaction between different audiences of the game, then is better to remove those features completely. Or to spend little development effort on them.

The easy way to separate gameplay is to create dedicated production flow for consumables, weapons and armor. Instance resources should be used only for instance gear. Instance gear should be useless in open world.
  • Options

I suspect both. The wiki says Crafting Materials are required to repair items. This includes World Boss Drops etc. So, I think the same resources are required but a mere fraction compared to the construction costs.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

I suspect both. The wiki says Crafting Materials are required to repair items. This includes World Boss Drops etc. So, I think the same resources are required but a mere fraction compared to the construction costs.

I think mere fraction should be 50%.
    Reusing a gear with 0% durability to create another one should give the remaining 50% back.
  • Options
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Item_repair

0% durability will unequip items, increasing its repair cost.[5]

Damaged gear can be reforged at a player stall using a portion of the materials that were necessary to craft the item.[6][7][2]

There may be additional constraints for repairing "very unique items", such as having a crafter and recipe to effectuate repairs. This is subject to testing.[8]

There is no limit to the number of times an item can be repaired.[9]

Interesting, I guess items cant be destroyed anymore even enchanted items...

Over-enchanting carries the risk of destroying that item[30], rendering it useless for use temporarily.[31]

... that just seems weird to me. So much for risk vs reward... more like temporarily useless vs reward lol
  • Options
    Items used to be destroyed at 0% durability?
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Either set a timer to go to instance dungeons or make materials and equip do not drop in the instance dungeons. Only there are skins, sorts of decoration items, achievements. It will be very popular among RP fans.
  • Options

no, the item does get destroyed at 0%. You just have to repair them and can not equip them.

No item gets destroyed unless the crafter breaks it down or the player chooses to "delete" it.

The resource sink is endless repairs.

Originally from what I understood is that items were supposed to be literally destroyed and not "temporarily" useless. This meant eventually after X amount of repairs you would have to get a new one crafted and what not. But that apparently is not the case.
  • Options

no, the item does get destroyed at 0%. You just have to repair them and can not equip them.

No item gets destroyed unless the crafter breaks it down or the player chooses to "delete" it.

Originally from what I understood is that items were supposed to be literally destroyed and not "temporarily" useless. This meant eventually after X amount of repairs you would have to get a new one crafted and what not. But that apparently is not the case.

Pets don't died either and become unusable for a while and need (probably red) potions.
    And you cannot even break down the pet.
    Somehow Steven thinks this will still keep artisans useful.
  • Options

Pets don't died either and become unusable for a while and need (probably red) potions.
    And you cannot even break down the pet.
    Somehow Steven thinks this will still keep artisans useful.

There's a lot of questionable things I'm stumbling across lately as design is being figured out and updated. I can see the perspective of wanting to keep resources sinking and currency flowing but it could back fire with player inflation and lack of spending or lack of node siege declarations creating a nice soft path into theme parking.

Ideally, I could just be a crafter myself and farm the materials on alts or work with other players to get repairs covered in bulk without spending. The more currency players retain, the more expensive the economy becomes.

Seeds of doubt are growing about what this game could end up becoming.
    Another thing to add to my list I suppose.
  • Options
    Have no fear. A2 will be here. Everything will be tested and balanced.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Have no fear. A2 will be here. Everything will be tested and balanced.

yeah..................... lol :smile:
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

A single digit percentage of the population will be capable of defeating certain content.[8]
    There will be some in-depth raiding that has multiple stages that will be extremely difficult and... It would definitely be in the single digits of population that will be capable of defeating certain content... It doesn't mean that there won't be content available for the larger percentages as well... There should be a tiered level of content that players can constantly strive to accomplish. If there is no ladder of progression and everything is flat and all content can be experienced, then there is no drive to excel.[8] – Steven Sharif

Literally all I wanted, and said so. Not sure why I am being accused of being a wow person.

I just said I can see the point for having top end gear come from said content. I also said I would do such things just for the challenge of it. Not sure why there is an issue with me over that.

• Options
    Found the quote after all
    I wanted to tell you that your instance insistence was wrong about that quote, but I needed proof and couldn't find it.

I still expect instances to be the hardest content mechanically, while those growing bosses will simply have their hazards at higher dmg/impact or smth like that, cause I don't believe it would be in any way logical to make them more mechanically difficult if they're open world.

Also, we seem to be forgetting that instances aren't supposed to be "farmed repeatedly". So any and all arguments of "mats/resources/recipes" coming from instances should be forgotten, unless the design changes.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Found the quote after all
    I wanted to tell you that your instance insistence was wrong about that quote, but I needed proof and couldn't find it.

I still expect instances to be the hardest content mechanically, while those growing bosses will simply have their hazards at higher dmg/impact or smth like that, cause I don't believe it would be in any way logical to make them more mechanically difficult if they're open world.

Also, we seem to be forgetting that instances aren't supposed to be "farmed repeatedly". So any and all arguments of "mats/resources/recipes" coming from instances should be forgotten, unless the design changes.

There aren't any instances like that though. The instances are at the end of the open world dungeons so full dungeons aren't instanced except for story modes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Instanced dungeons might end up being fun for some players.
    What if those players will keep paying subscription and play only in those dungeons?

well, then that will ruin other systems that require players to be out in the open doing things. you can stay in your dungeon all you want, but then who is going to go out and mine stuff, chop trees, process things, kill the world bosses, get the castles, do the caravans, do the events, upgrade nodes, etc.

what if you have a server where everybody is hiding in their instances? if you have everybody 24/7 in their instances, other systems will not be used and won't progress.

also, how are you going to keep the players doing instances? maybe you will need infinite scaling dungeons like diablo or something xD

A certain max population is intended for a server. 10K maybe.
    Whatever arbitrary number we choose, that number is important only assuming that players are in the same area.
    If IS will create some very interesting content for the instanced dungeons, it can happen that a category of players come to play on those instances. That kind of audience should not diminish the normal open world max player count because instances are supposed to run on different computers, as many as needed.
    The only problem happens if the open world players will be tempted to enter and play instances too.
    If there is no interaction between the instace players with the open world players, then it would be like having two separate games.
    The same problem can be with arenas:
    hleV wrote: »
    People will not pay monthly subscription just to play in arenas.
    If it's their most enjoyable content, yes they will.

if players want to throw money to IS every month for a specific content, IS must take care to balance the interaction between them, to keep the open world players in the open world, instead of encouraging or even forcing them to enter instances.

If there are doubts that IS can balance interaction between different audiences of the game, then is better to remove those features completely. Or to spend little development effort on them.

The easy way to separate gameplay is to create dedicated production flow for consumables, weapons and armor. Instance resources should be used only for instance gear. Instance gear should be useless in open world.

what i mean is, if you have 10k max players, and u have 5k players doing the instances, then only 5k players left to do anything else, open world, etc