Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What role should instanced dungeons play in AoC?

Comments

• Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Why would those 5k players doing the instances be removed from the world, those places do exist still.

Those 5k players have to travel to the entrance, and then have to wait around for the entire group to arrive. They are only gone for the time they are actually inside.

Arenas are the same, they will be separate from open world (they have to be to remove interference, so its an actual arena fight, and not another open world fight anyone can join in the middle of). But players have to travel to where an arena exists to be able to sign up.

There should not be safe zones (unless its inside a town or something? Would be a weird place for a dungeon to be) That people can camp in.
  • Options
    We'll probably see something like BRD and Molten Core. Got to fight your way through one in order to get to the other which is decent in my books for what it's worth.

This is what @Neurath is sort of suggesting.

Funny thing though, if you really think about what an "open world" dungeon really is... lol
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We'll probably see something like BRD and Molten Core. Got to fight your way through one in order to get to the other which is decent in my books for what it's worth.

Funny thing though, if you really think about what an "open world" dungeon really is... lol

I'm not suggesting it. The devs stated it. The quotes are in the wiki. It makes perfect sense why Steven is adamant we won't need dps meters. If the challenges are not traditional instance challenges like WoW for the most part we don't need WoW tools. After all, I still believe we can contest the legendary world bosses.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Instanced dungeons might end up being fun for some players.
    What if those players will keep paying subscription and play only in those dungeons?

well, then that will ruin other systems that require players to be out in the open doing things. you can stay in your dungeon all you want, but then who is going to go out and mine stuff, chop trees, process things, kill the world bosses, get the castles, do the caravans, do the events, upgrade nodes, etc.

what if you have a server where everybody is hiding in their instances? if you have everybody 24/7 in their instances, other systems will not be used and won't progress.

also, how are you going to keep the players doing instances? maybe you will need infinite scaling dungeons like diablo or something xD

A certain max population is intended for a server. 10K maybe.
    Whatever arbitrary number we choose, that number is important only assuming that players are in the same area.
    If IS will create some very interesting content for the instanced dungeons, it can happen that a category of players come to play on those instances. That kind of audience should not diminish the normal open world max player count because instances are supposed to run on different computers, as many as needed.
    The only problem happens if the open world players will be tempted to enter and play instances too.
    If there is no interaction between the instace players with the open world players, then it would be like having two separate games.
    The same problem can be with arenas:
    hleV wrote: »
    People will not pay monthly subscription just to play in arenas.
    If it's their most enjoyable content, yes they will.

if players want to throw money to IS every month for a specific content, IS must take care to balance the interaction between them, to keep the open world players in the open world, instead of encouraging or even forcing them to enter instances.

If there are doubts that IS can balance interaction between different audiences of the game, then is better to remove those features completely. Or to spend little development effort on them.

The easy way to separate gameplay is to create dedicated production flow for consumables, weapons and armor. Instance resources should be used only for instance gear. Instance gear should be useless in open world.

what i mean is, if you have 10k max players, and u have 5k players doing the instances, then only 5k players left to do anything else, open world, etc

If you have 5k players doing instances, you can allow 5k players more to log in, to do the open world.
    The only reason to prevent prevent players entering the server is to ensure no loading screens if some player in an instanced dungeon decides to leave and return to the open world. But they should not have things to do in the open world. That is how the game should be designed, to not give a reason for dungeon players to mix with open world players.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »

I'm not suggesting it. The devs stated it. The quotes are in the wiki. It makes perfect sense why Steven is adamant we won't need dps meters. If the challenges are not traditional instance challenges like WoW for the most part we don't need WoW tools. After all, I still believe we can contest the legendary world bosses.

I'm talking about what you're suggesting in your post.
  • Options

Okay cool. I've made so many posts that the statement confuses me lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2023

You were just talking about how the instanced content is at the end of the open world dungeon. Similar to how BRD and Molten Core is.

Dungeon/raid entrance within a dungeon/raid.
  • Options

You were just talking about how the instanced content is at the end of the open world dungeon. Similar to how BRD and Molten Core is.

Dungeon/raid entrance within a dungeon/raid.

Yeah perfect. I understand now. The good news is the open world dungeons can be contested so it's not really an instance in an instance. The theory is sound though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What if those players will keep paying subscription and play only in those dungeons?

well, then that will ruin other systems that require players to be out in the open doing things. you can stay in your dungeon all you want, but then who is going to go out and mine stuff, chop trees, process things, kill the world bosses, get the castles, do the caravans, do the events, upgrade nodes, etc.

what if you have a server where everybody is hiding in their instances? if you have everybody 24/7 in their instances, other systems will not be used and won't progress.

also, how are you going to keep the players doing instances? maybe you will need infinite scaling dungeons like diablo or something xD

Whatever arbitrary number we choose, that number is important only assuming that players are in the same area.
    If IS will create some very interesting content for the instanced dungeons, it can happen that a category of players come to play on those instances. That kind of audience should not diminish the normal open world max player count because instances are supposed to run on different computers, as many as needed.
    The only problem happens if the open world players will be tempted to enter and play instances too.
    If there is no interaction between the instace players with the open world players, then it would be like having two separate games.

if players want to throw money to IS every month for a specific content, IS must take care to balance the interaction between them, to keep the open world players in the open world, instead of encouraging or even forcing them to enter instances.

If there are doubts that IS can balance interaction between different audiences of the game, then is better to remove those features completely. Or to spend little development effort on them.

The easy way to separate gameplay is to create dedicated production flow for consumables, weapons and armor. Instance resources should be used only for instance gear. Instance gear should be useless in open world.

what i mean is, if you have 10k max players, and u have 5k players doing the instances, then only 5k players left to do anything else, open world, etc

If you have 5k players doing instances, you can allow 5k players more to log in, to do the open world.
    The only reason to prevent prevent players entering the server is to ensure no loading screens if some player in an instanced dungeon decides to leave and return to the open world. But they should not have things to do in the open world. That is how the game should be designed, to not give a reason for dungeon players to mix with open world players.

so a separate lobby game then? cuz when the players finish the instance they will be moved to the ow then re enter it.
  • Options

so a separate lobby game then? cuz when the players finish the instance they will be moved to the ow then re enter it.

yes! :)
    Whoever chooses to leave open world, to do instanced dungeons, should react fast and push the accept button to enter, even if he is fighting the boss. Else will be placed at the back of the queue again!
    I see no other solution.

Or they make the instanced dungeons ugly and boring.
  • Options
    You won't get lobby based instanced dungeons.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Sieges are instanced, 250 vs 250.
    There must be a lobby for them.
    If there is a lobby mechanic, then it can be used at any instance transition.
  • Options

Castle sieges are 250 vs 250 or 500 vs 500 yes. I can't tell you if it's a lobby yet though. Also, dungeons are completely different and requires risk/reward and contestation. Not lfg lobby based instances like wow.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Items used to be destroyed at 0% durability?

no, the item does get destroyed at 0%. You just have to repair them and can not equip them.

No item gets destroyed unless the crafter breaks it down or the player chooses to "delete" it.

The resource sink is endless repairs.

Originally from what I understood is that items were supposed to be literally destroyed and not "temporarily" useless. This meant eventually after X amount of repairs you would have to get a new one crafted and what not. But that apparently is not the case.

Pets don't died either and become unusable for a while and need (probably red) potions.
    And you cannot even break down the pet.
    Somehow Steven thinks this will still keep artisans useful.

There's a lot of questionable things I'm stumbling across lately as design is being figured out and updated. I can see the perspective of wanting to keep resources sinking and currency flowing but it could back fire with player inflation and lack of spending or lack of node siege declarations creating a nice soft path into theme parking.

Ideally, I could just be a crafter myself and farm the materials on alts or work with other players to get repairs covered in bulk without spending. The more currency players retain, the more expensive the economy becomes.

Seeds of doubt are growing about what this game could end up becoming.
    Another thing to add to my list I suppose.

What really is going on here is you are trying to convince people it is WoW and theme park-ish so you can justify your bad takes.

Item destruction is terrible and leads to people quitting games. This has nothing to do with theme park, no correlation you are just talking crap.

Further reinforced by the fake smiles and passive aggressive knocks on the design.
  • Options

Castle sieges are 250 vs 250 or 500 vs 500 yes. I can't tell you if it's a lobby yet though. Also, dungeons are completely different and requires risk/reward and contestation. Not lfg lobby based instances like wow.

Maybe my initial statement was not clear.
    The lobby is supposed to be the instanced dungeon itself, for players willing to leave the instance and return to the open world.
    And only if the open world is full with 10k players.
    In such cases, players in the instance should stay in the instance and grind more, because that is what they do.
    And the reason is that I assumed some players will want these instanced dungeons and pay subscription just for them. If they pay, then they should be able to play in them and the login server should handle their access to the dungeon fast but not out from the dungeon, into the open world.
  • Options
    There aren't any instances like that though. The instances are at the end of the open world dungeons so full dungeons aren't instanced except for story modes.
    I'm fairly sure the "instanced" you're talking about is the semi-instances (as I call them) that we saw in Alpha1 with the lava dragon.

There's just an npc that brings you into the boss' room. But that room is still accessible by other people, unless Intrepid decide to do even more of an L2 thing (cause this mechanic is already an L2 thing) and the npc will stop TPing people in after the boss "wakes up".

So far I don't remember any mentions of of WoW-like instances in that context. As in, you travel through open world dungeon, then come up to a "portal" and then go through a yet another dungeon with several rooms and bosses (one of the main quotes literally has Steven explaining a dungeon from L2)

If you've got a quote for that, I'd be glad to see it.

Right now when I hear Steven talking about instances I imagine a full dungeon that's instanced per group of people and no one else.
  • Options

The lobby is supposed to be the instanced dungeon itself, for players willing to leave the instance and return to the open world.
    In such cases, players in the instance should stay in the instance and grind more, because that is what they do.
    And the reason is that I assumed some players will want these instanced dungeons and pay subscription just for them. If they pay, then they should be able to play in them and the login server should handle their access to the dungeon fast but not out from the dungeon, into the open world.

I don't think instances will exist like you believe. The dungeons are dynamic and become harder the deeper you go and the faster you clear them. It only makes sense the deepest, hardest boss is instanced in such a circumstance but it has no lobby access. There will be contestation in the open world dungeons leading up to the end bosses.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited October 2023
    TIL that no one fucking watches AoC's vods on yourube, cause my god they are not indexed at all. I'm trying to go through a few instances references and none of it properly loads :'(
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    There aren't any instances like that though. The instances are at the end of the open world dungeons so full dungeons aren't instanced except for story modes.
    I'm fairly sure the "instanced" you're talking about is the semi-instances (as I call them) that we saw in Alpha1 with the lava dragon.

There's just an npc that brings you into the boss' room. But that room is still accessible by other people, unless Intrepid decide to do even more of an L2 thing (cause this mechanic is already an L2 thing) and the npc will stop TPing people in after the boss "wakes up".

So far I don't remember any mentions of of WoW-like instances in that context. As in, you travel through open world dungeon, then come up to a "portal" and then go through a yet another dungeon with several rooms and bosses (one of the main quotes literally has Steven explaining a dungeon from L2)

If you've got a quote for that, I'd be glad to see it.

Right now when I hear Steven talking about instances I imagine a full dungeon that's instanced per group of people and no one else.

There was no instancing in a1 mate. Trust me when I state the updated facts. If you check the quotes under instances ashes wiki you will come to the same conclusion I have. The hardest content is open world legendary bosses and not instances.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    There was no instancing in a1 mate. Trust me when I state the updated facts. If you check the quotes under instances ashes wiki you will come to the same conclusion I have. The hardest content is open world legendary bosses and not instances.
    I'm just saying what those "bosses at the ends of dungeons" will be like, because Steven took that mechanic directly from L2 and said as much in a quote. And because of that I expect them to implement that mechanic fully, so the "room" will close and become a full instance during the boss fight.
  • Options
    I'm just saying what those "bosses at the ends of dungeons" will be like, because Steven took that mechanic directly from L2 and said as much in a quote. And because of that I expect them to implement that mechanic fully, so the "room" will close and become a full instance during the boss fight.

Yeah I am in agreement. I just meant there was no instances in a1 and contestation can happen in the open world dungeons leading up to the end bosses in instances. It might well be the case you can bypass the open world dungeon once you are attuned but I do like attunement so I'm not concerned.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I am in agreement. I just meant there was no instances in a1 and contestation can happen in the open world dungeons leading up to the end bosses in instances. It might well be the case you can bypass the open world dungeon once you are attuned but I do like attunement so I'm not concerned.
    This might be once again the difference of terms. What do you call a separate location that you gotta TP into that has no direct open world access to it?

Cause I call that an instance. It can be a personal instance (solo/group/raid) or an open one (randos can enter as well) and then there's "semi-instances" that change their function due to an action/event.
  • Options
    This might be once again the difference of terms. What do you call a separate location that you gotta TP into that has no direct open world access to it?

Cause I call that an instance. It can be a personal instance (solo/group/raid) or an open one (randos can enter as well) and then there's "semi-instances" that change their function due to an action/event.

We have the same issue. I only use the dev terms so Steven and the devs know what I refer to. The devs call them instances so I called them instances. When the game is live and I write my theories, tips and tricks down I will make the correct terms for the functions. Having not seen the functions yet I must rely on the quotes and dev terminologies.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The instances are at the end of the open world dungeons so full dungeons aren't instanced except for story modes.
    I just relistened to Steven's quote about bosses at the ends of dungeons and those are still open world (with only a couple getting locked after the start of the encounter).

Story stuff will supposedly be separate from "things at the ends of dungeons".
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The instances are at the end of the open world dungeons so full dungeons aren't instanced except for story modes.
    I just relistened to Steven's quote about bosses at the ends of dungeons and those are still open world (with only a couple getting locked after the start of the encounter).

Story stuff will supposedly be separate from "things at the ends of dungeons".

Okay sound. I have no issues about the plans. I realise why the game 'will not be for everyone' because old school is an understatement. 😆

Edit:

I found the quote:

Dungeons and raids will maintain an open world feel while also capitalizing on the benefits of instanced mechanics.[12] Instancing is only going to happen in certain dungeons where the desire is to have greater narrative appeal.[2][7] Outside of these and arenas there will not be too much instancing anywhere else.[9]
    There will be some open dungeons that have bosses at the end of the dungeons. There will be some open dungeons that just have a multitude of dungeon bosses, not necessarily world raids or something; and there will be lots of different rooms and they'll be progressive in the sense that in the earlier parts of the dungeon they'll be lower level and then at the later parts of the dungeons deeper down they'll be higher level and more difficult; and that creates again I think an ecosystem of where players across a multitude of levels have an opportunity to coexist within certain areas of the world; and that's good from a social dynamic. It's good from a recruitment dynamic. It's good from just a liveliness and relevance of particular areas. So that you don't end up with these locations that once you pass a certain level like it's empty.[13] – Steven Sharif
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

so it would be something like league of legends. lets say another server with only instances and no open world, otherwise the players ownt even be able to return to the open world because the server is maxed out with 10k players..unless they are part of the 10k. thats what i mean
  • Options
    I found the quote
    Yes, that is the quote I was referencing. He's literally explaining how L2's dungeons worked, in the context of bosses at the end of dungeons (and just randomly in rooms).

The "story stuff will be instanced" part is exactly why I think that we'll get wow-like instances where there'll be an entire dungeon in the instance and that whole dungeon will show us some story stuff.
  • Options
    I found the quote
    Yes, that is the quote I was referencing. He's literally explaining how L2's dungeons worked, in the context of bosses at the end of dungeons (and just randomly in rooms).

The "story stuff will be instanced" part is exactly why I think that we'll get wow-like instances where there'll be an entire dungeon in the instance and that whole dungeon will show us some story stuff.

I'm not sure the story modes will be the hardest content. They definitely drop loot but not BiS Loot according to the wiki. Also, Dungeons/Instances could mean solo dungeons and stuff like that too. You know, based around the hidden lore. However, it would make sense for the biggest baddies to have a full raid encounter in an instance somewhere.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I'm not sure the story modes will be the hardest content. They definitely drop loot but not BiS Loot according to the wiki. Also, Dungeons/Instances could mean solo dungeons and stuff like that too. You know, based around the hidden lore. However, it would make sense for the biggest baddies to have a full raid encounter in an instance somewhere.
    He mentioned a couple end dungeon bosses getting locked after their encounter starts. Those could be super difficult. Either way, we've still got 0 clue about any pve difficulty, so right now any promises of "this will be, like, super hardcore, only <10% of players will clear it" is all just that - promises.
  • Options
    He mentioned a couple end dungeon bosses getting locked after their encounter starts. Those could be super difficult. Either way, we've still got 0 clue about any pve difficulty, so right now any promises of "this will be, like, super hardcore, only <10% of players will clear it" is all just that - promises.

Well. If the story is linked to these instances then more than 9% of players will have to be able to clear them. That's if quests and lore have to be completed. If quests and lore don't have to be completed then the difficulty can be ramped into the extreme for the less than 9% of the player base. However, I consider Story Mode to be functional for all players - that could just be my child like heart though lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif