Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Any thoughts on a diffent combat style?

A1exavierA1exavier Member
edited March 6 in General Discussion
any thoughts in having a combat system similar to new world ?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    No :)
  • Options
    I haven't played this one yet, so couldn't say.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited March 6
    No matter if you call it,

- Different Combat Styles,

- "Weapon Arts" (DarkSouls Three),

- Ashes of War (Elden Ring),

part of my wants to say : the more the better. But for now, i think Sir Steven and his Team must first do a good Job in balancing what they have planned as the Basics of all Classes. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    The game is pretty much fleshed out in combat.

It is what you see it is, you'll be lucky to get 20% of abilities to be full action.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited March 6
    Aszkalon wrote: »

part of my wants to say : the more the better. But for now, i think Sir Steven and his Team must first do a good Job in balancing what they have planned as the Basics of all Classes. ;)

Yes. Why does archer have stealth

It's not an Archer, but a Ranger.
    It's Camouflage not stealth.

In Pathfinder Rangers get camouflage to scout. Ashes of Creation is based on Pathfinder.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    fuck no
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member

Vyril wrote: »

In Pathfinder Rangers get camouflage to scout. Ashes of Creation is based on Pathfinder.

No it’s stealth no one is going to scope at random cliffs for 5 seconds looking for players. Also where is the risk for the archer
    Getting to hold a kill while being invisible

holy hell.

You're not invisible.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    DarckI wrote: »
    Some say it's better than in Throne and Liberty.
    DarckI wrote: »
    Fighting with pillows.
  • Options
    KriscoKrisco Member
    As long as it's not BDO... that server tick is absolutely brutal in pvp, if you're actually good at the game. When people say BDO combat is good, they play PvE or are close to the server and have a ping under 30ms. The combat needs to parallel the server tick, if that makes sense.
    LF_Forum_Signature-1.gif?ex=661130de&is=65febbde&hm=d6e86072253fa34a5000bf40b0b2b15f59f64c93ae452e9d84727163bd6d7b1a&
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    A1exavier wrote: »

What about new world do you want? Why are you suggesting they redo their entire combat?
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Hell nah
  • Options
    u7g3q55chizt.gif
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 27
    as many problems as NW had it's combat was amazing, I would definitely like to see them use it.

most people want to jump on the hate train, but I think anyone whose actually tried pvp in that game would love it
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not sure what is meant by "combat style".
    Does the Weapon Skill Tree in Ashes address that?
  • Options
    SauronplaySauronplay Member
    edited April 27
    I don't think. Intrepid has the resources to develop its own style.
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 27
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm not sure what is meant by "combat style".
    Does the Weapon Skill Tree in Ashes address that?

the combat is more real time then it is dice rolls

Classic MMO gameplay would evade or use a shield based on math, in NW you hold to block which drains stamina. If stamina runs out and you're still blocking you get stunned. Evading also consumes stamina as well. if you fully run out of stamina you also get an exhaust status which makes it so you can't evade again until the bar is fully recharged

I played tank for a long time on NW and both PvE and PvP it was great. a small example on the PvE side was one mini boss did a strong swipe followed by multiple lower damage swipes. the big hit eats too much stamina so is better to dodge then raise your shield to tank the small swipes

PVP I would use my tanky build to go after the healers. the nice thing about the dodge/evade mechanics was that healers didn't get mowed down due to being squishy instead you had to be aware of your surroundings. a good healer in PvP in NW could still heal his target while evading me, most would have to either focus staying away and get cut down from not paying attention

I might log in and do an OPR from a somewhat tanky melee build to show off how fun this style of combat and post it to the forums to see what players think about it
  • Options
    TryolTryol Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    NW has the worst combat system in the MMORPG genre.
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    Apok wrote: »
    as many problems as NW had it's combat was amazing, I would definitely like to see them use it.

most people want to jump on the hate train, but I think anyone whose actually tried pvp in that game would love it

I actually enjoyed the New World combat system as well, very fun.

The debate on this topic for Ashes was about a year ago when they were deciding which direction to go. They decided with a mixed system of mostly tab/lock target with some directional abilities. There is probably a pros/cons matrix somewhere that shows why they went in this direction. Doubt it will change now as the game has been designed around it for over a year.

It may just be that the tab target caters to a larger community of players than the quick reflex skill shot type players. Shrug.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 27
    A1exavier wrote: »

Just accept that we will get pwned anyway.

Kidding.

I think before we arrogate ourselves to even SUGGEST that Ashes of Creation should have different Combat Styles, we should first observe and let the One unfold that is being created and improved since Years.

When we are unsatisfied sometime in a Future far, far away,

we can still complain then if we are not satisfied with the Results. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options

Classic MMO gameplay would evade or use a shield based on math, in NW you hold to block which drains stamina. If stamina runs out and you're still blocking you get stunned. Evading also consumes stamina as well. if you fully run out of stamina you also get an exhaust status which makes it so you can't evade again until the bar is fully recharged
    Because NW is not an RPG.
    Dice Rolls/RNG is a fundamental component of RPGs.
    Character skill should be more important than player skill.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Because NW is not an RPG.
    Dice Rolls/RNG is a fundamental component of RPGs.
    Character skill should be more important than player skill.

nw is an RPG. lots of game use invisible dice rolls. that's not a fundamental component of an RPG. that's like saying in platformers, players should be able to pick up a flower and then gain the ability to shoot fireballs (Mario 1 reference). that's not a fundamental component of platformers.

rpg use dice rolls in real life because its easier for humans to get random numbers that way. you could as well use a roulette or coin flips or even cards and there is no difference. they just serve as a replacement for computer generated "random" numbers (they are really pesudo random numbers, but doesn't matter much).

i agree that in an RPG the character skill is more important than the player skill...however remember that the player controls the character. even if your character was the smartest being alive, the player isn't and can make mistakes, for example, when using actions during combat. action RPG are another branch of RPG, but that doesn't make them any less RPG. the turn system is not what makes an RPG an rpg.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    nw sucks.
    | liked Tera Online.
  • Options
    i liked nw combat, except for the stupid light armor rolls...it was better when light armors were one shotted by range ;3
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Prob not going to get a actual reply from OP. So ill just say nw combat was one of the worse in any mmorpg. Lacked any deal kind of depth both in RPG and in Action combat.

As far as new world went was advanced survival style combat.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Depraved wrote: »
    nw is an RPG. lots of game use invisible dice rolls. that's not a fundamental component of an RPG. that's like saying in platformers, players should be able to pick up a flower and then gain the ability to shoot fireballs (Mario 1 reference). that's not a fundamental component of platformers.
    New World is not an RPG. It's not even promoted as an RPG. Because it's not designed to be an RPG.
    New World was designed to be an MMO PvP game with some Survival Game elements - especially the Crafting design.
    After the execs decided there should be a reduced emphasis on PvP and more PvE should be added, the devs tacked on some RPG elements. But those RPG elements were not intended to fundamentally change the combat design with regard to RNG.

Also, I did not say that only RPGs rely on dice-rolls/RNG.

Depraved wrote: »
    the turn system is not what makes an RPG an rpg.
    We agree.
  • Options