Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Any thoughts on a diffent combat style?

Comments

• Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    nw is an RPG. lots of game use invisible dice rolls. that's not a fundamental component of an RPG. that's like saying in platformers, players should be able to pick up a flower and then gain the ability to shoot fireballs (Mario 1 reference). that's not a fundamental component of platformers.
    New World is not an RPG. It's not even promoted as an RPG. Because it's not designed to be an RPG.
    New World was designed to be an MMO PvP game with some Survival Game elements - especially the Crafting design.
    After the execs decided there should be a reduced emphasis on PvP and more PvE should be added, the devs tacked on some RPG elements. But those RPG elements were not intended to fundamentally change the combat design with regard to RNG.

Also, I did not say that only RPGs rely on dice-rolls/RNG.

the turn system is not what makes an RPG an rpg.
    We agree.

they listed it on steam as both an RPG and MMORPG, it uses traditional RPG elements like leveling, dungeons, crafting and raids for gear. the only thing new world does differently is the active combat. hand eye coordination will win or loose a fight where is most games it's just spamming what's on your hotbar or pulling off your combo before the other guy does
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 28
    I don't see where the Problem is. Wasn't it explained during the Fighter Presentation that they aim to "mix" Action-Combat with completely free Movement -> with locking onto your Target ? So that Players have more or less secured Aim but also some Freedom to move however they like ? 🤔
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    SarahCoSarahCo Member
    A1exavier wrote: »
    any thoughts in having a combat system similar to new world ?

New World combat was widely disliked and monotonous, and we should not base anything off a game that has closed its doors within a couple years of launching. Sorry that's my opinion.
  • Options
    SarahCo wrote: »

New World combat was widely disliked and monotonous, and we should not base anything off a game that has closed its doors within a couple years of launching. Sorry that's my opinion.

I keep seeing people with these "youtuber" opinions, what's your opinion, not what you think everyone else's opinion is
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Apok wrote: »

I keep seeing people with these "youtuber" opinions, what's your opinion, not what you think everyone else's opinion is

NW combat was Dog and terrible. This is the general thought of most people that played the game.

You can see its like night and day compared to BDO which is also a much older game with action combat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2NbmJkJgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abJRdd0hoWQ
  • Options
    no I have to disagree if BDO is so good why is the gameplay speed turned up and dubbed over with hype music. BDO is fan service, bouncing tits and flashy animations
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    no I have to disagree if BDO is so good why is the gameplay speed turned up and dubbed over with hype music. BDO is fan service, bouncing tits and flashy animations

Imagine your points trying to be some ones montage and how they do it i attempt to discredit the actual point lol. If you think im referencing speed = good you are hugely mistaken. I guess its hard to know the depth of the game without playing it but it should be pretty clear with the movements, looks of the animation, interesting looking attacks, etc.

Im guessing you are one of those Steller blade haters, you want your females using a male body to save dev time lol. Some people out there like their females looking like... a female you know.

What i kind really weird is you are officially trying o die on a hill of new world combat. That any competitive player like me in NW knew that did all the pvp and owned the good territories knew the combat was one of the worse in any mmorpg. I prefer action originated and id rather have played TAb anything over nw tbh.
  • Options
    you can call me a male feminist all you want but I don't think visual bs like that adds any real depth to a game, if you watch the NW video the guy was doing 1 on 1 fights showing himself dodging and taking people out. keep in mind the bow fires actual projectiles and works how it would in a shooter. he didn't pump up his stats and mash hotkeys and let the game do the work for him he had to actually dodge and aim at his target.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    you can call me a male feminist all you want but I don't think visual bs like that adds any real depth to a game, if you watch the NW video the guy was doing 1 on 1 fights showing himself dodging and taking people out. keep in mind the bow fires actual projectiles and works how it would in a shooter. he didn't pump up his stats and mash hotkeys and let the game do the work for him he had to actually dodge and aim at his target.

Sounds like you have never played BDO before.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

Again NW is trash. BDO u dodge, iframe, super armour, Block all attacks. And your skills are actually interesting and you have a lot more of them than like mashing left click on your mouse and a few skills lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQjoT1JQJfc
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 29
    they listed it on steam as both an RPG and MMORPG, it uses traditional RPG elements like leveling, dungeons, crafting and raids for gear. the only thing new world does differently is the active combat. hand eye coordination will win or loose a fight where is most games it's just spamming what's on your hotbar or pulling off your combo before the other guy does
    I think you mean Steam listed it as RPG.
    The official New World website does not.

New World also does not have Classes and Character Levels.
    Which is another fundamental aspect of RPGs - in addition to Character stats, multiple (Fantasy) Races and Dice Rolls/RNG.

BDO is a Hack N Slash game.
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited April 29
    I think you mean Steam listed it as RPG.
    The official New World website does not.

New World also does not have Classes and Character Levels.
    Which is another fundamental aspect of RPGs - in addition to Character stats, multiple (Fantasy) Races and Dice Rolls/RNG.

BDO is a Hack N Slash game.
    New World 100% has "character levels" lol my main character is level 31. RPGs absolutely do not need classes or multiple "fantasy races" either. Kingdome Come: Deliverance is an RPG and doesn't have either of those things.

New World is an RPG. Also, since you very obviously haven't actually played it, all of the "RPG mechanics" you think were tacked to make the game more focused on PvE were there in the original alpha tests for the game when it was primarily focused on full, open world PvP.

Also, it is explicitly called an MMORPG on some of their social media pages. Just because they don't say "RPG" on their website doesn't mean it isn't one:

"Explore the island of Aeternum in an open-world MMORPG"
    https://twitter.com/playnewworld
  • Options
    nw is an RPG. lots of game use invisible dice rolls. that's not a fundamental component of an RPG. that's like saying in platformers, players should be able to pick up a flower and then gain the ability to shoot fireballs (Mario 1 reference). that's not a fundamental component of platformers.
    New World is not an RPG. It's not even promoted as an RPG. Because it's not designed to be an RPG.
    New World was designed to be an MMO PvP game with some Survival Game elements - especially the Crafting design.
    After the execs decided there should be a reduced emphasis on PvP and more PvE should be added, the devs tacked on some RPG elements. But those RPG elements were not intended to fundamentally change the combat design with regard to RNG.

Also, I did not say that only RPGs rely on dice-rolls/RNG.

the turn system is not what makes an RPG an rpg.
    We agree.

afaik nw was gonna be a survival game, then it turned into a mmorpg after some early testings.
    it literally contains one of the two main aspects of what makes an rpg an rpg, which is the option for the player to develop his character as he progresses in the way he wants...

regarding the dice rolls, iguess i didnt get it then. what im trying to say is that they are not a core mechanic of an rpg. what if you played a game where you could be a tavern owner and affect the story by doing tavern owner things. there isnt any combat or any random elements, but you have 50 different endings to the story and the tavern owner can get any ending depending on his actions. is that not an rpg? what if the tavern owner could level up talking to customers and then get and assign skill points to get better at waiting tables, or preparing drinks, or preparing food, or cleaning to cover up for one of his staff members when they call in sick. would that not be an rpg then because there arent any dice rolls?
  • Options

people dont know what they want. before the combat rework, nw combat was really imbalanced, to the point where you could have 1 str and sword level 1 and kill anyone because of how the combat worked. sure it would take you much longer than if you had your sword maxed out or many points in str, so it wasnt a balance issue, it was a design issue. and thats just one mechanic.

things got changed, then people started complaining that the old design was better. wtf?xD
    nw has great combat, except for the light armor roll to just get away from anything and reset. a lot of people complained, sure, but lots more didnt complain. the game lost players but it was for other reasons. could have been a great game with some tweaks.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Again NW is trash. BDO u dodge, iframe, super armour, Block all attacks. And your skills are actually interesting and you have a lot more of them than like mashing left click on your mouse and a few skills lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQjoT1JQJfc

i prefer bdo combat, but just because its an action game, doesnt mean it sbetter than nw combat. bdo and tera are more fast paced games, a million skills and a million saves (super armor, i frames, dodges, blocks, etc). nw is slower because it tried to be a more souls like combat (they ruined it with the light armor roll tho) with less buttons to press. its about pressing the button at the right time, or you get punished for it, no animation cancels to save you etc. (nw has super armor too btw).

so even though they are all action games, they are targeted towards different audiences. a player who likes souls combat will say bdo combat is shit, and a player who likes bdo combat will say nw is shit...same happens when a player who likes tab targeting plays bdo and says its shit, and vice versa. or wow and aoc both being tab but they are different...
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

i prefer bdo combat, but just because its an action game, doesnt mean it sbetter than nw combat. bdo and tera are more fast paced games, a million skills and a million saves (super armor, i frames, dodges, blocks, etc). nw is slower because it tried to be a more souls like combat (they ruined it with the light armor roll tho) with less buttons to press. its about pressing the button at the right time, or you get punished for it, no animation cancels to save you etc. (nw has super armor too btw).

so even though they are all action games, they are targeted towards different audiences. a player who likes souls combat will say bdo combat is shit, and a player who likes bdo combat will say nw is shit...same happens when a player who likes tab targeting plays bdo and says its shit, and vice versa. or wow and aoc both being tab but they are different...

I can list off a bunch of points on every element on why NW combat if bad. No one has said a action game is better than anther just because its action (which doesn't make sense sense I'm talking action - action in combat) I even said Tab is better than Nw lmao.

Also not true i played all soul games. Makes me know that New world is not good even more so. Souls is also more niche (you can make argument with elden ring changing things more so now though). I don't really see a large group wanting a souls like mmo with combat. And people just wanting good action combat and NW is not it.
  • Options

I can list off a bunch of points on every element on why NW combat if bad. No one has said a action game is better than anther just because its action (which doesn't make sense sense I'm talking action - action in combat) I even said Tab is better than Nw lmao.

Also not true i played all soul games. Makes me know that New world is not good even more so. Souls is also more niche (you can make argument with elden ring changing things more so now though). I don't really see a large group wanting a souls like mmo with combat. And people just wanting good action combat and NW is not it.

This is all just your opinion. Just because you don't like the combat in New World doesn't mean it's "bad" lol
  • Options
    well, what makes action combat good? is it the pace or something else?

and yeah nw didnt get to a real souls combat..but that was the direction xD
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

This is all just your opinion. Just because you don't like the combat in New World doesn't mean it's "bad" lol

Yes everything is an opinion with these kinds of things. People can think a game that is bad is good to them.

But if you like clunky combat, very basic amount of skills to use, combat mainly about using left click for combat, terrible frames with the game, 2 tap hit scan weapons, terrible feeling movement, low character customization, survival style combat for your skills, basic complexity of pve

Though given enough time, your bar on what you expect from some games I'm sure will raise over time as you get bored of those ones.
  • Options

Yes everything is an opinion with these kinds of things. People can think a game that is bad is good to them.

But if you like clunky combat, very basic amount of skills to use, combat mainly about using left click for combat, terrible frames with the game, 2 tap hit scan weapons, terrible feeling movement, low character customization, survival style combat for your skills, basic complexity of pve

Though given enough time, your bar on what you expect from some games I'm sure will raise over time as you get bored of those ones.

I love it when people like you try to be condescending about people not sharing your opinion lol just shows just how immature you actually are.

I don't even really care for NW's combat by the way. It's just absolutely astounding how childish this kind of crap is. It also sounds like you haven't even actually played the game for more than maybe a couple hours at most.
  • Options
    woah shots fired xD
  • Options
    woah shots fired xD

lol I don't have time for that childish condescension. I'm sure there will be more of it in the next reply though. Dude is nothing but a clown that doesn't understand what opinions are.
  • Options
    edited April 29

NW is also Iframes and active blocking, that's what the guy in the video is doing is iframing people. I also run a super armor build in NW. the skill customization is pretty good the only thing it doesn't have that BDO has is flashy animations, and without those animations BDO would look like dog shit

also they are MMOs and you keep posting 1v1s NW has 50v50
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

I love it when people like you try to be condescending about people not sharing your opinion lol just shows just how immature you actually are.

I don't even really care for NW's combat by the way. It's just absolutely astounding how childish this kind of crap is. It also sounds like you haven't even actually played the game for more than maybe a couple hours at most.

What is childish is what you are saying right now LMFAO. You are mad someone is talking about a game that is known for having bad gameplay and actually being surprised.

Its funny when i start listing off all the issues and your response is saying im childish and i haven't played the game. unable to give actual points.

I know plenty of the issues since i had like 400 hours in the first month of the game, and i owned the best territory on the server with the guild I was leading and beating a 500 man zerg guild.

It is funny when you talk about not knowing what opinions are, some people actually base their opinions on playing the game on a high level so they can fully judge the game properly -winks-
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

NW is also Iframes and active blocking, that's what the guy in the video is doing is iframing people. I also run a super armor build in NW. the skill customization is pretty good the only thing it doesn't have that BDO has is flashy animations, and without those animations BDO would look like dog shit

also they are MMOs and you keep posting 1v1s NW has 50v50

I'm aware both of them have iframes, but looking at bdo iframes compared to new world there is a lot more thought into it. NW is just about a roll, in BDO yes you have a iframes dodge on some characters but also moves that have iframes. There is a lot more push and pull in the gameplay with strategy over just having a dodge roll.

On top of blocking as some of your moves block as you attack giving you a attack that also has defensive elements to it, andit becoming another resource meter you are managing during combat. Over new world where you just block and people aren't really blocking that much in the game anyway as they use their dodge roll. So right away blocking in BDO is done at a much higher lvl with layers added to it, over a block in new world that is kind of a meme.

I don't think you watched the first video if you are talking about 1v1. Not that it has any meaning the whole point is NW combat is not good and doesn't have good customization either. Compare that to any other mmorpg even more so since in NW you have very few limited skills.

Also I'm not saying you can't like the game, I'm just saying that compared to any other mmorpg its well know Nw combat isn't good. No one is wanting to playing a mmorpg to end up with survival gameplay combat.

It is pretty clear they cut corners to release the game out with limited content.
  • Options
    edited April 29

What is childish is what you are saying right now LMFAO. You are mad someone is talking about a game that is known for having bad gameplay and actually being surprised.

Its funny when i start listing off all the issues and your response is saying im childish and i haven't played the game. unable to give actual points.

I know plenty of the issues since i had like 400 hours in the first month of the game, and i owned the best territory on the server with the guild I was leading and beating a 500 man zerg guild.

It is funny when you talk about not knowing what opinions are, some people actually base their opinions on playing the game on a high level so they can fully judge the game properly -winks-

I'm not mad about anything lol just calling out the childish shit you're spreading. All of the "issues" you mentioned are just things you personally didn't like. None of them are objectively bad. That's why it's nothing more than your opinion. It doesn't matter if you played it for 4 minutes or 400 hours (which begs the question about why you'd supposedly waste so much time on something you don't like, but that's another issue of yours that you should probably work through on your own) you're doing nothing more than narcissistically trying to state your opinion like it has any objective value when it doesn't.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

I'm not mad about anything lol just calling out the childish shit you're spreading. All of the "issues" you mentioned are just things you personally didn't like. None of them are objectively bad. That's why it's nothing more than your opinion. It doesn't matter if you played it for 4 minutes or 400 hours (which begs the question about why you'd supposedly waste so much time on something you don't like, but that's another issue of yours that you should probably work through on your own) you're doing nothing more than narcissistically trying to state your opinion like it has any objective value when it doesn't.

This sounds like you really have not played new world lmao. I find it funny you call things childish when people bring up actual issues with a game while not knowing or understanding the issues.

To me that sounds pretty childish right there you are looking at any way to try to make my point not seen as valid. First you try to suggest i have not played the game, than you try to say it doesn't matter how much time i played, and than you try to say im wasting my time.

Pretty much your reaching because you aren't mature enough to realize your own fault, when you have already admitted to not caring about new world.

You are asking the question why i played it, I had just answered that. Mainly because even if the game is no the best i can still play with my guild and get some kind of enjoyment out of it, 2 because If i only play it slightly I'm not going to understand all the issues or good qualities with the game.

Now you are trying to label my opinion when earlier you were trying to fight for people to have an opinion, it sounds like you just don't like when someone has experience and has a negative opinion.

You don't know what you want to say as you try to weasel your way out to find some kind of insult to sling at me. Anything else to say Patrick, or is the tantrum over?
  • Options

This sounds like you really have not played new world lmao. I find it funny you call things childish when people bring up actual issues with a game while not knowing or understanding the issues.

To me that sounds pretty childish right there you are looking at any way to try to make my point not seen as valid. First you try to suggest i have not played the game, than you try to say it doesn't matter how much time i played, and than you try to say im wasting my time.

Pretty much your reaching because you aren't mature enough to realize your own fault, when you have already admitted to not caring about new world.

You are asking the question why i played it, I had just answered that. Mainly because even if the game is no the best i can still play with my guild and get some kind of enjoyment out of it, 2 because If i only play it slightly I'm not going to understand all the issues or good qualities with the game.

Now you are trying to label my opinion when earlier you were trying to fight for people to have an opinion, it sounds like you just don't like when someone has experience and has a negative opinion.

You don't know what you want to say as you try to weasel your way out to find some kind of insult to sling at me. Anything else to say Patrick, or is the tantrum over?

Your opinion is no more right or wrong than someone's opinion who likes the combat in New World, regardless of what you think lol most of this post is just nonsense. The things you think are issues are subjective. I really hope that someday you can have a discussion without thinking your opinions are more valid than anyone else's because they aren't.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

Your opinion is no more right or wrong than someone's opinion who likes the combat in New World, regardless of what you think lol most of this post is just nonsense. The things you think are issues are subjective. I really hope that someday you can have a discussion without thinking your opinions are more valid than anyone else's because they aren't.

I wrote off issues with the game and u said it was being childish and that you dont have much thought on new world.

The issues is you is don't enough maturity to say you were wrong in your thought when u started saying i had not played the game.
  • Options
    edited April 29

I wrote off issues with the game and u said it was being childish and that you dont have much thought on new world.

The issues is you is don't enough maturity to say you were wrong in your thought when u started saying i had not played the game.

I didn't say you thinking those were issues was childish. I said you acting like they were objective and then being condescending was childish. If you can't understand what you're reading, why are you replying? I didn't say you hadn't played the game either, just that it sounded like you hadn't based on the generic "issues" you listed since none of them were actually objective issues and just your opinion. Something you're struggling to understand.

Regardless, this is clearly a waste of time because you're too dense to understand what you're reading. Feel free to reply again so you can "win" and appease your ego though lol