Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Feedback Request] Alpha Two Fighter Archetype Preview Shown in March Livestream

Comments

• Options
    KorelaKorela Member
    + Different mobility skills and jump interaction
    + Ranged version of Maim

- Excessive VFX of Rupture and Cataclysm , unnecessary gold-ish color aspects (leave it for Cleric)
    - Too much 'destroyer', not enough 'gladiator'

The latter con is the important one for me personally. If the only way to play as Fighter is to 'jump -> press buttons till end', then I'm gonna hope for Rogue to be more tactical.
  • Options
    DaenalDaenal Member
    Overall, the Fighter Archetype looked interesting and powerful. Perhaps a little too much superhero and not enough Medieval warrior but that does seem to be the way many games are going.

I hope the game setting will allow players to decrease the overall particle effects/brightness/range of seeing the overall visual effects of abilities. I find the flashy effects can be overwhelming when multiple characters are pushing out their abilities particularly if the number of characters being rendered grows.

As someone who is colour blind, I also like to be able to tailor the effects I am seeing versus limiting.
  • Options
    LashingLashing Member
    edited April 4
    I would like to know the design intent behind aoe skills. Are they going to deal significantly less damage to a single target or are they going to be less efficient on mana costs. Either way aoe needs some kind of downside over single target skills or the game will devolve into mass aoe is the only thing that is viable in all content.

Another thing I wanted to comment on is the statement about options for seeing nameplates. Personally I hope there is a limited on range for this for both mobs and players. The first thing you see should be the mob or player itself, Not its name. Players should not have to be worrying about if their nameplate is potentially visible in the distance. Keeping it consistent across all players would help, so you would know if you can see their nameplate, they can see yours. I do not really want to be scanning the horizon for red text instead of actually looking for creatures or players.

This is the type of setting where if it is not locked down to a reasonable level it becomes mandatory to have it on because it is so much of an advantage.
  • Options
    SorcresSorcres Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 1
    Hello Team!

Great livestream even I am not meele player, I loved the showcase of Fighter.
    I will maybe add something later but for now, I have this feedback:
    • The Bleeding effect is too much. It should be something what you can see only in small amount.
    • Ren'kai race is too small for me. I would expect he will be bit bigger then human and current different between him and humans is small for me. Lineage is good example for perfect Orc size.
  • Options
    Loved the showcase would be nice if there was less magic particle effects on melee. I understand it's fantasy but if all abilities of all classes have lots of magic particles it takes away from the realism and can makes other spells seem less significant. Like the saying less is more. Also I personally think it's totally unnecessary to have you shield glow when you block. I also think for the fighter maybe changing the particle color from yellow. To me yellow seems more appropriate for holy damage or healing. Thanks team keep up the good work
  • Options
    TetterianTetterian Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited April 1
    Great job on the class preview. You're getting better at showing off class previews with everything else the game offers.
    An idea for the next class preview:
    Have different presets ready for the abilities, so you don't have to respec for every ability you're showing.
    This also allows you to show how presets work in AoC.
  • Options
    AmarAmar Member
    I normally lean toward Rogue or Ranger classes in most games. However for Alpha 2 I'm looking forward to testing all classes with what I'm seeing from the development so far. After all that's what it's all about. To the Fighter specifically... I saw skills that remind me of some of my favorite SWTOR Juggernaut combos. Good quality target based gap closer with damage followed by fluid single target and aoe attacks. Whirlwind is very nice to see as a 360 offense/defense, and that the channel can be stopped. Also the no target gap closer i believe will work nicely as well for those "Oh S... run away moments" lol. On the whole looked fluid and i look forward to trying it out in A2. Finally i just gotta say i can't wait to see what you do with the Rogue... ;)~

Keep up the good work!!
    A
  • Options
    edited April 3
    How do you feel about the Fighter Archetype Preview?
    Really enjoyed the Fighter Preview! Me andmy GF raided as a Fury Warriors for years, and did a lot of PvP too, so it was very nice to see a lot of our favorite attacks make it into the Fighter, and some new ones that looked fun too! Especially since none of them required you to be in combat to use them.

What excites you about playing and interacting with the Fighter Archetype?
    For me, the different animation feel with various weapon types will really make different builds a unique experience in game, timing, impact feel, it's going to be great!

Is there anything in particular you’re excited or concerned about regarding the Fighter?
    I really like the Jump + Intercept Abilities (Blitz, Leap Strike, Lunging Assault) it will allow the Fighter to apply constant pressure!

However, one immediate change i'd like to see, is to remove the Target requirement from Blitz, so you can Blitz in whatever direction you're looking, so it can also be used to move OUT of AoEs and IN to healing range in PvP and PvE encounters!

Are there similar Archetypes you’ve seen in other games that you like or dislike?
    One skill type i want to see added is Warcrafts Warrior Skill, called Titan's Grip. When spec'd into - it allows you to equip a 2H weapon in each hand.

I would like you to take the Titans Grip concept one step further in Ashes, and add the ability for Fighters and/or WeaponMasters to equip a Shield in one hand, and a 2H weapon in the other if the player chooses to.
    (I also want to see a Shield Skill tree for defensive minded players in any class!)

What are your thoughts on the Fighter's abilities, mechanics, and combos?
    I liked everything that was shown for the lv.15 Fighter, I was able to use my experience to know exactly how it would play in-game.

Do you have opinions on the great sword animations, Fighter VFX, and unlockable procs?
    The 2H Sword animations were a major improvement! I really liked that the Heavier animations were being moved to the 2H Mace and 2H Axe, it made a lot of sense and they will feel very different from each other.

I do want to see Fiery glowing eyes when under the effects of Exert, and I'd also like to see the Flaming sword animation from Lunging Strike during the entire Exert status as a visual indicator.

Also consider combining Lunging Strike and Blitz from Click abilities - into a single Click-and-Hold ability.
    -Single click on Lunging Strike = Lunging Strike.
    -Click-and-Hold on Lunging Strike = Blitz.

I think that combo would be really fun!

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited April 2
    Does Blitz require a target to cast? And if so, is there any particular reason why?

My concern is that an ability like Blitz, which is essentially the character just dashing super fast up to the enemy, requiring a target is immersion-breaking, and feels bad in a game where other abilities can be fired off without a target.

It doesn't make much sense in the player's mind, or even in the mechanics of the world, why a person in Verra can only run very fast when running at an enemy.

This is a reason why I consider GW2 my favourite MMO ability-wise. It doesn't have these kinds of frivolous restrictions unless it makes absolute sense for the skill. Every "Charge" ability can be casted out of combat without a target at will, albeit with a fixed distance that is sometimes smaller than the max distance it can reach when targetting an enemy. And will actually even auto-redirect to an enemy ahead of the player (assuming they have auto-aquire turned on)

Essentially, my complaint boils down to, "If you want it to require a target, rename it or give it a flavour reason as to why that is, because otherwise it makes it feel game-y."

If a game lets you free-fire an arrow or fireball in any direction at will, there's no reason why a fighter shouldn't be able to dash in any direction at will. Such a limitation only reminds a player that this world is just a game.

Edit: If it doesn't already require a target, disregard this entire comment.

Also, this is my first post in like over 2 years I think, and only because this didn't sit right with me and set a concern for how other abilities are being handled. I've had nothing but high praise so little reason to comment in that timeframe. Intrepid, you are doing such a fantastic job, we appreciate you.
  • Options
    YuliveeYulivee Member
    I quite liked what we saw in the video. The fighter's skills offer variety, looked really fittingly impactful, and overall, for the first time, I feel like I have a game in front of me that one can simply enjoy playing in its current state. However, I do have three points of criticism that I would like to mention:
    1. I'm sorry, but still... the animations and effects are too elaborate and flashy. It looks great in a presentation where only the fighter is doing things. But even when you were traveling in a group of four, at times the enemies were barely visible, and it was not possible to get a precise picture of the battlefield. How is it supposed to be in larger groups? I know that some (especially younger people) react strongly when everything looks totally awesome in videos, generating attention on social media. But please don't let that drive your development decisions. Your big advantage has always been that you wanted to make the best game for your target group.
    2. During the group battles against the goblins, I often had the feeling of a Diablo-style hack and slash rather than a tactical, cooperative MMORPG. Overall, in my opinion, there was a bit too much spamming with AOE (Area of Effect) and steamrolling enemies, and not enough tactics and control.
    3. The topic was 'Fighter Archetype Preview', but I had more the feeling that the topic was 'Fighter Archetype Combat Preview'. Only abilities with a clear focus on combat were shown. Of course, for example, the jump can also be used well outside of combat, which is cool, but I still would have liked to see a few abilities focused elsewhere. Things like climbing, clearing obstacles, or whatever. Especially such abilities really enhance an MMORPG, and I thought so far that such things are important to you. I hope it continues to be :)
  • Options
    CyBooRGCyBooRG Member
    The livestream was really cool, and I’d like to propose an idea. We saw the destructible environment, such as the little goblin houses. I think it would be nice to give goblins a mini rage boost when their homes are destroyed, to encourage players to pay more attention to the environment around them.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So animation cancelling is allowed now?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    Vaknar wrote: »

It was a good showcase, the skills were presented in a way that they were easy to understand, the combinations shown gave a good idea about how one can link these skills together - all in all I'd say it is possible for people to understand what it means to play a Fighter

The amount of movement abilities and skills to unleash deadly combos is amazing. My fantasy about the Fighter was to be a whirlwind diving into the backlines of the enemy and rip them apart - this seems like just the right skill kit to do exactly that!

Is there anything in particular you’re excited or concerned about regarding what was shown with the Fighter Archetype Preview?

CRITICISM
    • Weapons - While the showcase in general was great for what it presented, it left me wondering how these skills would look or be usable with other types of weapons, especially since it has been said to allow for more exotic picks, like a magic wand, bow or daggers - I really wonder how viable these three can be with the presented skill kit.
    • Quest Mobs - This is a small detail, but seeing the Fallen Hero wander around while the log to accept his quest was still open just felt wrong. Since this was a sincere requests to the player, him wandering around while making it just feels off. Maybe locking a quest giver in place while the Accept/Decline window is open, is the way to go here.
    • Mob Intelligence - We all know that Goblins are not the brightest candles in the pentagram, but it was fairly easy for the tank to kite them. This in itself is not an issue, but I hope Intrepid doesn't make it as easy for us with more intelligent enemies. I think it would be very interesting to have for example elite type humanoids have unique mechanics that generates more hate/threat if their focused target is healed so that they will go after the healers faster. Or if they do not manage to attack the tank for more than 5 sec that the threat/hate begins to drop faster. These systems are complicated and could in theory make a tanks job hell, but I think for bigger groups like raids it would be a valuable mechanic to create a reason for multiple tanks being present in the raid.
    • Movement Animation - I noticed that during the Freehold Showcase and now again when encountering the Goblins on the river bank. At low movement speed, hopping animations look very weird. I would prefer it if at certain movement speed specific movement animations would change. A slow rabbit may not hop at all, just like a goblin would probably rather walk. At high movement speeds hopping creatures might begin to make longer leaps which look considerably different. (This would also add depth to PvP when I spot a courier in the distance and can assess from the animation of his rabbit whether I'd be able to intercept him or not) But that might have been just because this is still early development.

PRAISE
    • I think the area design was once again on point, I enjoyed it a lot.
    • The quest shown was great, I liked the flavor of it a lot.
    • The goblins were just as nasty as I would expect them to be and that is great, the movement and sound design is on point.
    • I think it is great to see it confirmed that (especially, but maybe not exclusively) humanoid mobs are also having the skill kits that classes offer! This makes so much sense and helps blend PvE and PvP together in a very good way!

Very well done, though I wonder how much of the skills of a Fighter will end up single target or AoE abilities. It'd be tricky for a Fighter to contribute in battles where AoE can be a problem. Similarly (as mentioned above) I wonder how dual wielding weapons or "exotic" weapons would synergies with the skill kit. Maybe we can get an explanation of whether or not certain weapon types are meant to be more advantageous for certain classes than others (maybe don't take the ranger as an example for that but rather the Fighter using two daggers or a magic wand).

The momentum mechanic in general plus the stances are awesome, I can't wait to test those out myself, I felt like this class is basically "done", that I can just hop right in and bonk some Goblins without any further explanation needed.

As for the weapon slots and procs I think that is a system that I have to test to really evaluate, but I like what I have seen so far.

Very good depth on the systems overall, but not too much especially when unlocked in increments. I'm really looking forward to it.

Do you have opinions on the great sword animations, Fighter VFX, and unlockable procs? If so, please share them!

Great sword animation looked very cool and impact, though with mobs and 3 other group members on screen it at times was already quite the firework on screen. I'd like to see the system that tones down the brightness of allied characters.

Please don’t feel limited by the thought starters above. Feel free to share anything you’d like about Ashes of Creation’sAlpha Two Fighter Archetype Preview shown during the March Development Update

Skill Points - This is more a matter of clarity for me but when it comes to the skill board it seemed like a max level character in theory can have all the skills and all the augments. If I choose to deactivate Maims shock wave augment in a dungeon where I want to avoid closely packed groups, basically I have "one skill point floating". That would rub me personally the wrong way it feels like "untapped potential".

So I wonder - and quite honestly hope - whether the points with which I do the basic skill augments are the same skill points with which I would do the duo-class-augmentations. Meaning that if I can't pick AoE Maim in one dungeon, I'd hope to have the untapped potential from my secondary archetype that I can go into and modify Maim for example to with [Mage] ice, so to decrease the movement speed of mobs to ensure they stick together more.

Alternatively, if it is not intended to have all points allocated at all times, maybe "floating skill points" could give a small boost to the primary archetypes 3 main stats. I just don't like the idea that there might be scenarios under which I can't fully spend my skill points / under which I have untapped potential.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    I like what I saw in general! I think some of the effects are still too much. Especially the rupture/wound effect where he drained a gallon of blood for every step. I am not a fan of the cataclysm ground effect either. Why spikes? I don't have a specific effect I'd rather see, but I am not a fan of this one.

I like the mobility of the fighter, and I dread being opposed to them if I am a squishy mage, bard or cleric.
  • Options
    I thought it looked great. Really excited to try it out. I liked the Combat Momentum feature, that looks like fun. And how mobile it looks, even to the point of redirecting an attack mid-swing.

I liked the graphics and effects, it looks like it's well on its way, and I'm liking the direction it's heading.

And, a Pie Break and a Star Trek reference in the same stream is just a huge win.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    ZizyllZizyll Member
    Hey lovely Asches of Creation Team.

Here is my feedback:

First of all, i am happy with the state that was shown. The abilities looks clean and responsive.

Regardless of there brutal "in your face" style of combat, i like the idea of a skilled Fighter how knows everything about Wapons (and Armor). A slightly expandet wapon skill tree would be fitting for this role.

Is there anything in particular you’re excited or concerned about regarding what was shown with the Fighter Archetype Preview?
    I really liked how freely you can use the movement abilities. Being able to charge to a target to traverse the environment is fantastic and opens up so much possibilities.

I think you designed solid and fitting abilities for the archetype. as far as i saw, it was very attack heavy and not that much defense capabilities. A disarm or parry ability would be nice.

Do you have opinions on the great sword animations, Fighter VFX, and unlockable procs? If so, please share them!
    The standard attack looked worse than before in my opinion. It now seems very choppy and somehow unfinished.
    Speccing further in to “maim" didn't seem like a choice, it’s just better. Either there should be an additional option for "maim", which then excludes "slicing maim", or "slicing maim" needs a disadvantage. Something like: the closer your target is, the less damage "maim" does. (50% in close combat, up to 100% at maximum range). In this way you would have to consider what suits you better.
  • Options
    Can we have more ways to spend the fighter's resource? (Rage i'll call it) because Steven ran around with full 'rage' a lot and it seems to be a wasted resource.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    1. Yellow/golden colors don't fit for fighter. Would be more fitting to use "impact"/"gravity bending"/"wind blast" based effects. In my opinion fighter abilities are not about color but more about after effects, like: air blasting stuff away; space bending; ground breaking and shaking; I think One punch man anime when I think about physical power.
    2. LETHAL blow animation seems weak, doesn't look LETHAL at all. Compared to Maim, which looks like a true finisher ability to a downed enemy.
    3. Would be awesome if "Form" abilities would change your standing animation slightly to visually see my chosen form. I don't want to check the buff zone in the corner, I want to look at the character and action that is happening around him.
    4. lvl 15 abilities feel like I'm god of war? That's awesome, but how will max level feel like then?
    5. When using power shout, if there are friends around - it writes text to the screen: "Riled". Looks like garbage on the screen. If there's 6 of those on screen, who will read it 6 times? That clutters the actual content. Who's supposed to read it? Just add something like "Yeah!" or "Let's GO!" - a short affirming AUDIO sound-shout for affected players instead. Imagine the audio synergy and impact when you "rile" 5 people around you..!
    6. Goblin shaman Bujbuj fight - if he's so hard to kill, why is he so weak to not even do a 30% hit to someone??? I don't get it, should it be strong or weak? Currently it feels he's both in a bad way - too weak to kill you and too strong to die...If he's only strong together with his buddies and you totally nailed the encounter by first killing them, then it's totally fine.
    7. About the whirlwind ability - when I played Wrath of the lich king expansion there was this ability "Whirlwind" and after you reached max level you got an ultimate form of that - Bladestorm. And it felt awesome. You guys improve and make whirlwind look like a very powerful whirlwind-bladestorm (it already looks like an ultimate). So I wonder ... it would be awesome to get some single, long-cooldown-ultimate ability on max level, when all abilities already look insane.
    8. Doing such a huge impact ability as "Cataclysm" with one hand? Why make an ability with 1 hand, when you're wielding a TWO HANDED WEAPON?! Ability itself felt powerful like a big explosion, but the character animation felt strange.
  • Options
    LeukaelLeukael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2
    I liked it. The kinetic energy of the play felt really good for archetype. I have some concerns/feedback but the overall feel looked near the mark. I plan to play a cleric but I'd love to take this for a test spin in a fight just because it looks so fun to hop around to trip and beat the tar out of enemies.

I really liked that you pointed out how talents can interact with other archetypes' abilities. That was exciting and I really look forward to more of that in the future.

I felt like the great sword needed to feel a little more "heavy" in the idle posture. I like the idle pose but something to confer the weight of the item a bit like a slight adjustment would be great (maybe widening the stance of the legs and having that shoulder go slightly lower than the other.)

For the attacks/abilities, leap strike's glow at initial impact felt a little too saturated. I would rather have seen a visual more like the roar's sound waves at impact to compliment the debris. The glowing veins on the ground felt good though. It is just the initial impact's glow that I wish was swapped with the roar type wave of force. Otherwise this glow reads as much more magical which I don't think feels right for archetype fantasy. This is nitpicking but it is because it is so good overall.

Are there similar Archetypes you’ve seen in other games that you like or dislike? If so, please explain!
    The playstyle for some reason reminds me of BDO because it reads as a lot more active but I could not pinpoint it in specific as I did not play a lot of that game.

I as definitely being a Cleric worry about the wound and gap closer combos. It looks really impressive and effective to deal with me. Otherwise, I enjoy the complexity of stagger, trip, and how other abilities play into this. I like when abilities have interactions that are not limited to a 1-2-3 static combo but have some compelling choices to be creative rather than robotic. More of this please!

I enjoy the added layer of choice so we can create varied approaches to playing the game and differentiations between one another in the world. My only request is that you attempt to make choices in the trees equally compelling and useful. No one likes having a talent to have to take to progress or one that no one takes. Presently looks great. Feedback on VFX is answered in prior parts of this post.

Additional feedback:
    Idle animations on the goblin area monsters look like they could use some work to look like they're sitting around. Have them glance directions, sigh, scratch themselves, etc. Some variance in the routine of them so side by sides don't look the same would be great too.

Edit: Also, the size of the pulse/splatter of blood on Rupture targets could get toned down a touch.
    Stag-Axiom-Sig-LEAUK3.png
  • Options
    A tad off topic but I have to say - the lighting in the fighter update was superb. Really atmospheric and also the wind moving the foliage was sublime. The world builders have done a terrific job.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
    edited April 2
    Fanatic update. It reminded a lot of black desert and terra combat. Which I love and are amazing combat games. Having combos, interactive play between skill cancelation, high risk high reward ability’s locking you down and doing a lot of damage vs mobile but low damage. Fantastic!!

Only two things that stood out.

1. The auto hits looks clunky and not fluid. The abilities/skills looked amazing. But normal auto swings did not look on the same level.

2. A way to indicate or clarify when the user is immobile, not able to be cc’ed etc… similar to how BDO has icons for super armor etc… this is assuming there will be cc immunity abilities.

Like how when the warrior did the charge/dash ability. Will that be cc immune move?

Or will there be any abilities that give to cc immunity?

I love the idea of risk vs reward. Choosing abilities and combos.
    - Abilities that do damage but are risky due to the charge up time and being able to be stunned.
    - Abilities that are low damage but provide mobility
    - Abilities that do medium damage but you cannot be slowed or stunned

Etc…. Giving players options and building their own style and skills.
  • Options
    Thank you for the blood fx on the Fighter. You've managed to enable myself to persuade my long suffering MMO partner to leave Age of Conan and play Fighter in Ashes. Although he'll have to wait until launch now lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    BerZerKerBerZerKer Member
    edited April 3
    1:22:00 all of you just stand there and DPS it down. 0 action. That's why you have to give this kinda of mini-bosses/elite mobs a good amount mobility and movements and special skills that either force you to move around a bit or else it does a crazy damage. And that is to add that kinda of action at least in regards of moving around a bit during the fights. Standing like that and pushing keys and spamming basic attacks is NOT going to be fun for the most part. Game has cool effects here and there, but, realistically, it has 0 action for the most part of the gameplay.

When you had a melee combat update the greatsword was looking more of a greatsword to be honest. Now it just feels like a featherweight chunk of metal. You see here when a character is holding on to the sword you don't really think it is necessary to hold it with 2 hands, because the sword itself here is not big enough to make you think otherwise. Sword looks like it can be easily held with 1 hand and holding this exact sword with both hands makes the character look kinda dumb.

Nah, Steven really has to hand over the gameplay part to anyone who knows how to portray combos better. I don't understand why is that an issue. I am sorry, but watching Steven play does not really unlock the full potential that maybe the guys who worked on the designing put into it.

Also the mages'/casters' animations during casting is so, how do I say it , bad, I guess. It's just a delay and nothing happens during that 1-2 second period. A cool looking/more dynamic animations would do better. Current ones feel kinda static.

I think the least amount of attention in regards of how impactful abilities look/feel seemed the exact ones that MUST look and feel the most impactful. Forms and Exert seemed/felt nothing like impactful. They just had cool effects around them and that's all. Also some abilities just give you those passive effects and you can hardly tell if those effects are already applied unless you look at your buffs/debuffs bar. What I am trying to say is that the effects lack the obvious/distinct external look on the character where you can tell that: Oh, yes, that figher is in Form of Tempest, or that guy is for sure stunned/shaken/rooted.

Another cool thing you could do which would add to the immersion is changing the stances or changing the way the greatsword or any other weapon is being held by the character. For example if you are in a Form of Ferocity, the character could look more offensive/ready to attack looking.

I didn't like the visual effect for the Blitz ability. The yellow aura during animation/dash looks as if warrior is using some type of magic to do it, it would be better to give the ability more of a look where warrior uses his physical strength to do the dash rather than some magic looking yellow auras. Maybe you can do this by making the feet break the ground at the ability start point and warrior dashing with rather white aura effects as if slicing through the wind. And overall I would suggest to stick mostly with white effects when physical attack is present, now, I am not saying for all of them, I did like most of the animations.
  • Options
    I think its too late to get the mobs into the best state possible for A2. I'm not sure how much work is required. It's all well and good to highlight how static and tank and spank the mobs are but actually getting a change in a positive direction seems unlikely right now. We did wonders with the character movements turning from static to flowing but there are hundreds of mobs and that will take a lot of time and effort to rectify. Once again, I must state that the game seems very static, tank and spank and a steamroll. I don't particularly want a hardcore game mode but I would prefer an actual challenge.

When the main thrust/only thrust of difficulty for a named mob is a static shield that prevents damage you know you have big problems.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Songcaller wrote: »
    Can we have more ways to spend the fighter's resource? (Rage i'll call it) because Steven ran around with full 'rage' a lot and it seems to be a wasted resource.

"Combat Momentum"
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Songcaller wrote: »

"Combat Momentum"

Yes, I know about combat momentum. Yet, there should be more than one way to spend a resource. If there is only one way to spend a resource what is the point in having a pool of resource? You would just have a charger and the skill would be activatable when the charges are full. Its the same feedback I give with all the special resources on all the toons so far.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    So I have finally found myself at a point where I have some real constructive criticism of the state of the game.

My caveat is that I have only casually enjoyed the update while driving back and forth to school, I have not had time to focus in on the details. I actually think this distracted review let me not get caught up in the dazzle that is Ashes of Creation, a game I think will be the greatest MMORPG ever made.

Starting with what was right. The orc looks amazing as does the world! Great choice on a race for the fighter demonstration. I could go on and on about the beauty of the game, but you may have already seen my fan boy moments in my YouTube videos so we will move along to what may be more helpful. The devs are doing so much right.

Now for the criticism.

I do not enjoy the dev updates which catalog the long list of amazing abilities in each class, honestly I just want to explore that in game but I understand some people like these deep dives into abilities so I just wait for the combat action. I prefer the dev updates focussed on systems, such as node development, economy, caravans, etc. Systems are what will set Ashes apart from other games. But alas Steven isn't making this game just for me so we can move along.

Again I must state I was driving while passively listening to and occasionally watching the update. I'm not going to lie the combat sequences felt like an audio assault on the nervous system. I spent some time thinking about this and it was the goblin sounds which grated the most, not the sounds themselves which were cool effects but the constant barrage and repetition of them. Would more variety in these effects change that? I do not know but hope so because I know they have a place in adding to the game.

Now for my largest complaint. Spawning! Get this one right Intrepid. I hate in New World that you kill an enemy and poof it comes right back to the same spot in a short period of time. It's so game breaking to me. Spawns should be random in location and time. Again I was not watching closely but my understanding was the same boss spawned about 3 times in a short period of time. I hated this. The only way that should happen is if a new player or party arrived. Spawning of enemies and resources has to have random location and temporal factors or the game feels like a vending machine. Please, please, please do not so this!

Overall great job Intrepid but I look forward to more focus on nodes, economy, naval action, freeholds, crafting, etc.

PS Steven I am willing to spend ridiculous amounts of time streaming and testing Alpha 2, but alas FOMO didn't push me quite hard enough and your store is a Ghost Town.
    Tangent 369
    Ashes of Creation is the reason I stream!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOs3OsZMQWPi0TeNJ82ofA

• Options
    xDracxDrac Member
    Ren'Kai Orcs:
    To me, the skin looks too smooth/perfect. That's nitpicky though, I think the overall aesthetic is great and reminds of L2 Orcs which is GREAT.

Auto Attack:
    BIG DOWNGRADE IMO
    I know it is a basic attack, but it looks too basic and feels like it has no weight.
    IMO the other ones looked better and felt more heavy (shown in the previous archetype livestream here: https://youtu.be/t3LydR8VssY?si=e6JIykfDPmlGTbg8&amp;t=374 )

Skills Feedback:
    Blitz:
    Feels like the animation is very much a straight line to the target. Should look more dynamic and less straight, maybe even less "startup" time? (optional) to make it more fluid.
    Kinda like this visualization:
    rn1aomjbae9h.jpg

Maim:
    Amazing but I would leave out the ground trail the shot projectile leaves behind and make it more like an energy beam hovering over the ground (much like sonic buster skills from the gladi in L2 for example)
    https://youtu.be/nRgqfMiT3SY?si=JZeVWlqWG_R00qmd&amp;t=25

Whirlwind:Upward Strike:
    The upward strike at the end imo lingers a bit too much on the ground before it shoots up which makes the animation look more clunky and jagged.
  • Options
    Hi! I just want to thank you for your great work, but I have a overly ripe question! Why is the graphic contrast so high? it always feels so dazzling, stinging in my eyes. The good thing was when in the latest Development update you went into the foggy goblin region, bcs it went great graphic wise there. I think its bcs it takes away to much colour and brightness. I don't want a dark game, but the game felt more natural and organic than. maybe you could change that.
  • Options
    HannesKittlerHannesKittler Member
    edited April 3
    drop the number of effects and lightings pls and turn down the brightnes... colorful is good but if there is too many bright effects and lighting it is just distracting , also not every spell needs an bright, explodingl effect. keep it simple and you will see people love you for the great overview in mass pvp. I know you need indicators for your spells, but keep them simple. The game is more interesting with not so many indicators for everything ...in general.. let people explore and find out them self. everyone loves that..nobody likes it when everything is already done for them! keep up the good work basic weapon attack looks amazing anything else too much extra in the animation the red an everything...the game looks great but it also looks too realistic for all the bright colours.. its not league of legends !