Battlepass in MMOs

1202122232426»

Comments

• nevorasnevoras Member
    Im against Battlepasses, its just a list of chores you need to do to get Stuff and then often exclusive or more stuff when paying the "Super Pass" or whatever.

I dont want to have to do stuff i might not want to do with my time just to fulfill requirements i need to progress a battlepass for more items. I rather wanna play the Game the way i want to play it and get that Battlepass stuff the regular way by finishing Quests, finding Treasure, Trading, Crafting, Exploring etc whatever there is. Actual Gameplay instead a List like Collect 50 Ores for 50 BP Points or Login Daylie to get stuff. I wanna have the Progression in the Hand of Players actually playing the Game and not players beeing forced to do stuff. It often just takes away time from the thing you actually wanted to do.

Same with stupid Daylies in every game you litterally spend 10-30min sometimes even longer to do Daily Stuff to get all the Goodies than actually playing what you wanted to play its a loss kinda every day but not that noticeable cause you get a Reward for your lost time, Still you did not what you maybe wanted or could have done in that time instead.

I know these Systems are there to keep players occupied but im quite sure with enough opportunities of any kind in a Big Gameworld these will not be missed.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Otr wrote: »
    You said a lot in this thread: "I expect"
    What do you mean by that?
    You want?
    You predict in a detached way?
    I predict. I guess maybe in a detached way.
    It's not something I "want" since I won't be playing Ashes in any way for a BP to affect what I'm doing.

You don't seem detached while debating this topic but more like willing to move the balance toward battle passes as if you would want to make the game better for you, even though you say you will not play it.
    It's not possible for me to move anything towards Steven implementing a Battlepass.
    I'm mostly just sharing the way Modern Battlepasses actually work.
    A Battlepass cannot make Ashes a better game for me.
  • palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Battle Pass is usually a chore for me. What could be a fun gaming session ends up feeling like a job because I have to fill in those hours and mindlessly submitting my tasks to get paid (rewards). Instead of doing battle passes, the developers should spend more on improving their skills to write and design better quests.

They want the game to be immersive and expressive. So let's see it. Let us get immersed in the lore by doing smaller quests and be rewarded for our time and dedication.
    edited July 10
    Why do you HAVE to fill hours "mindlessly submitting tasks"?
    And how is it different than mindlessly completing Quests or completing Achievements or Crafting or completing Dungeons or Raids - especially since all of those would also be BP Tasks.

Designing and implementing and testing new Quests takes at least 5x longer than creating a set of BP Tasks.
    Completing BP Tasks for Cosmetics is just another option alongside completing Dungeons and Raids for BiS Gear. Or completing Achievements for Titles.
    Having more options to entice players to repeat existing content does not negate anything.

No one is forcing anybody to focus on BP Tasks. Just as no one forces players to complete Dungeons or Raids. People who don't like BPs can ignore them. Just as people who don't like Dungeons and Raids can ignore those.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Designing and implementing and testing new Quests takes at least 5x longer than creating a set of BP Tasks.
    Yes, and what we are all saying is that we would rather have those quests, knowing that there will be fewer of them.

Again, as this thread is evidence of, Battlepass will turn people away from Ashes just by existing.
  • OtrOtr Member
    You said a lot in this thread: "I expect"
    What do you mean by that?
    You want?
    You predict in a detached way?
    I predict. I guess maybe in a detached way.
    It's not something I "want" since I won't be playing Ashes in any way for a BP to affect what I'm doing.

You don't seem detached while debating this topic but more like willing to move the balance toward battle passes as if you would want to make the game better for you, even though you say you will not play it.
    It's not possible for me to move anything towards Steven implementing a Battlepass.
    I'm mostly just sharing the way Modern Battlepasses actually work.
    A Battlepass cannot make Ashes a better game for me.
    But can make the game worse for those who actually want to play the game.
    edited July 11
    Modern Battlepasses wouldn't truly do that.
    If you can't ignore the implementation of a Modern Battlepass - that's most likely just a you problem.
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Again, as this thread is evidence of, Battlepass will turn people away from Ashes just by existing.

Are the Pre-Alpha 2 Cosmetics not also a kind of Battle-Pass in a way ... ... ? 🤔 🤨
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
    edited July 11
    Nope. They were just a mini Cosmetics Shop.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

Are the Pre-Alpha 2 Cosmetics not also a kind of Battle-Pass in a way ... ... ? 🤔 🤨

Not even a little bit.
  • I'm not a fan of them unless there's a promise that whatever is available through them will be cycled back in the future for players who missed them the first time to acquire.

I like collecting things in the games that I play, though between real life responsibilities and devoting time to other games that catch my eye, it becomes too exhausting and expensive to try and keep up with any game that has a battlepass.

In turn, that just encourages me to give up on it. Yes, they're 'optional' cosmetics but that in itself is deceptive, as cosmetics are largely the main thing to aim for in many games.
    More expensive to "keep up" with stuff in the Cosmetics Store.

And, yes, it really depends on how the Battlepass is designed.
    Older BPs had tons of FOMO. Modern BPs do not.
    The Cosmetics for modern BPs are typically around for at least 3 months - with plenty of time to acquire the items you want. And the Tasks include plenty of stuff you'd want to do in the game anyways.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just remember, I do not think anything will be soulbound. I believe most everything can be lootable and taken in pvp or traded. There might be a couple of exceptions, but not many.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Ravicus wrote: »
    Just remember, I do not think anything will be soulbound. I believe most everything can be lootable and taken in pvp or traded. There might be a couple of exceptions, but not many.
    I'd expect any and all cosmetics to be at least account-bound. Losing your irl money by dying in game would be the last thing Intrepid would want as part of their design :D
    Ravicus wrote: »
    I'd expect any and all cosmetics to be at least account-bound. Losing your irl money by dying in game would be the last thing Intrepid would want as part of their design :D

I guess we will find out. This is taken from the Wiki:
    Gear binding
    There may be some gear binding (BoE or BoP) but it will be an exception rather than the rule, as this doesn't facilitate the objectives for the economy.[5]
    Very little gear will be account bound or soulbound in Ashes of Creation.[9][10]
    The game economy is based around crafting and degradation of items.[9]
    Gear is obtained via crafting, gathering and processing along with raid and dungeon bosses.[10]

A lot of what we experienced in games that usually come before us is that many things are account bound and they're soulbound to your character... Instead very little here is character bound. Very very little. The vast majority of gear- yes you will get quest related gear as rewards- but it won't be let's say one set in one dungeon and you must run the dungeon over and over. Instead we want to really emphasize the reliance on the economy and crafters and gatherers and processors to support a majority of the gear structure in-game, combined with that of world raid bosses and dungeon bosses; not a repetitive quest line through a single dungeon.[10] – Steven Sharif
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bound_items
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png

but then again, on the same page, it says this lol:
    Cosmetic items

All cosmetic store items will be non-tradeable.[4]

Cosmetics are not tradeable with other players but can be reassigned to other characters (alts) within the same account.[29][4]
    This is a reversal of the earlier statement that assignment of account-bound cosmetics to a character cannot be undone.[30]
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Ravicus wrote: »
    I guess we will find out.
    Cosmetics are not gear though. Obviously gear might be copyable into a cosmetic skin or smth, but at that point I'd expect that cosmetic to simply be account-bound. No reason not to have it that way. It serves no function to the other player, so why punish people even further.

Though obviously this only applies to red players in the first place, so maybe Steven wants to fuck those over even more than they'll already be, but that's a whole separate issue.
    I guess we will find out.
    Cosmetics are not gear though. Obviously gear might be copyable into a cosmetic skin or smth, but at that point I'd expect that cosmetic to simply be account-bound. No reason not to have it that way. It serves no function to the other player, so why punish people even further.

Though obviously this only applies to red players in the first place, so maybe Steven wants to fuck those over even more than they'll already be, but that's a whole separate issue.

Ya, I posted more about the cosmetics just above here. Cosmetics cannot be traded, but can be passed to other char on account it looks like.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • I despise Battlepass. It's fake content with real rewards. Basically forcing you to buy it if you're a collector. Sometimes they even give power up.
    For example OW, giving access to new heroes or skins.
    The game should be fun to play, or not. It's not the same as a single player RPG where you might want to complete all achievements because it's something to do, once, and then you're done. Bpass keep changing and giving new fake rewards and objectives.
    Make the game fun, balance it, keep adding new things.
    I hope there is no bpass in this game.
  • Battlepasses defeat the purpose of AoC's philosophy. Instant gratification to reach a greater gratification? No thanks!
    Battlepasses don't provide instant gratification as far as I know.
    Especially not as instant as items from the Cosmetics Shop.
    edited July 22
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    I despise Battlepass. It's fake content with real rewards. Basically forcing you to buy it if you're a collector. Sometimes they even give power up.
    For example OW, giving access to new heroes or skins.
    The game should be fun to play, or not. It's not the same as a single player RPG where you might want to complete all achievements because it's something to do, once, and then you're done. Bpass keep changing and giving new fake rewards and objectives.
    Make the game fun, balance it, keep adding new things.
    I hope there is no bpass in this game.
    Can't force you to buy anything if it's a free BP.
    But... with your view of a collector, collectors would be forced to buy everything in the Cosmetics Shop.
    And a BP typically provides 5+ Cosmetics plus a bunch of Embers... for the price of the cheapest item in the Shop.
    Modern BPs don't include P2W. No P2W is an Ashes Pillar, so highly unlikely an Ashes BP would include P2W.

If games were just fun to play - there would be no rewards at all:
    No need for Adventurer or Artisan XP. No need for Quest rewards. No need for Boss drops. No need for Achievement rewards.

I dunno what you mean by "fake" rewards. I also don't know what you mean by "fake" objectives.
    BP Tasks are no more fake than anything else players do in the game. No more fake than Achievements or repeating Dungeons and Raids.
  • EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    BP Tasks are no more fake than anything else players do in the game. No more fake than Achievements or repeating Dungeons and Raids.
    Yes they are.
    No. They aren't.
  • EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 22
    For you they aren't.

Its not a npc , pc or an area in game with your character.
    Its a interface, like an app or dungeon finder. Something away from your character and your fellow players never see yours.

Used for things we may utilize when picking character skills, or a cash shop or loggin in/out or computer settings and adjustments. Fake to our in game world and characters.