Battlepass in MMOs

Comments

• Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    You can not change the definition because you want to "win".
    Keep in mind, *I* am not attempting to define what a loot box is - you are.

I am not trying to define them at all, my point is that even with randomized rewards, a battlepass is not a loot box in much the same way as how mob drops are not a loot box.

Again, if you want to define things differently, thats fine. You can do that. I do not.

The above said, your definition of what a loot box is actually does matter to this discussion.

As a refresher of our current back and forth;

You claimed that I said battlepass was going to be loot boxes.
    I pointed out that I didn't say that and asked you where I said it.
    You refused to tell me where I said it, and just insisted that I did.
    I baited you in to telling me where you think I said it.
    You quoted me saying that battlepass will get some rewards randomized in the future, and claimed that was me saying battlepass is going to be turned in to loot boxes.
    I pointed out that they are different things.
    You claimed that - to you - they are the same thing.

This calls in to question how you define a loot box, as most reasonable people would see a difference between a battlepass with some of the rewads randomized, and a loot box.

Already went over this you don't understand what loot boxes or battle passes are. Trying to change the definition to fit what you want isn't going to work here. Because you want to "win". So you are simply trying to make things up.

The standard is already set in stone. Trying to make a argument a loot box is not a loot box is trolling. The only bait you are doing it making it show how bad your arguments are. This is you in a nut shell right now when you make points half the time.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Trying to make a argument a loot box is not a loot box is trolling.
    I'm not trying to make this point.

I'm making the point that a battlepass with some randomized rewards is not a loot box.

Again, I will not let you state that I am making an argument that I am not making without challenging that statement.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Trying to make a argument a loot box is not a loot box is trolling.
    I'm not trying to make this point.

I'm making the point that a battlepass with some randomized rewards is not a loot box.

Again, I will not let you state that I am making an argument that I am not making without challenging that statement.

You are saying what a loot box is as you define this next evolution of battlepass (with you talking about companies wanting people gambling / addicted, etc) and than trying to say the very thing isn't a loot box while working literally as a loot box.

I don't see how anyone can take you seriously at this point, you just yapping to yap. You defined a loot box so it is a loot box as it functions the same point to point as a loot box.
    You are saying what a loot box is as you define this next evolution of battlepass

I disagree.

I don't know of any lootboxes that have that process for openeing them that a battlepass has for getting the rewards.

I also don't know of any lootboxes where you can buy them and not get all of the rewards if you don't do enough in game.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    You are saying what a loot box is as you define this next evolution of battlepass

I disagree.

I don't know of any lootboxes that have that process for openeing them that a battlepass has for getting the rewards.

I also don't know of any lootboxes where you can buy them and not get all of the rewards if you don't do enough in game.

I've already linked it you are just being ignorant just cause. You can do anything to level up in a battle pass. you can play the game and do anything to level up and get loot boxes in overwatch. So one of your most naive takes already doesn't make sense.

To continue as ive already said how you obtain a reward doesn't make it not a loot box. The function for how the loot box gives items is what is the important part.

You don't play make games do you dont understand how loot boxes / battle passes work you are just yapping. That is why you don't know all these elements.
    edited June 20
    I've already linked it you are just being ignorant just cause. You can do anything to level up in a battle pass. you can play the game and do anything to level up and get loot boxes in overwatch. So one of your most naive takes already doesn't make sense.
    I'm curious.

Do you consider those loot boxes in Overwatch to be lootboxes simply because that is what the developer called them?

Because they don't fit in with the general concept of what a lootbox is in relation to complaints.

So, for you, is it a matter of function, or a matter of name?

Edit; if it is a matter of function, my next question is why you don't consider mob drops to be lootboxes.
  • Hard no to battlepasses. It's a slippery slope. If you "run out of stuff" to do in a sandbox(sandpark) MMO, then I don't believe you. No you did not run out of stuff to do.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would not expect a Sandbox MMORPG to have a Battlepass.

Ashes is a Themebox; not a Sandbox.
    And, yes, a Sandbox MMORPG basically has nothing to do - unless it's a PvP-centric game.
  • AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 25
    Semantics and mental gymnastics.

How do you guys have this much time? honestly.

Also, you may want to consider switching to decaf.
    Abarat wrote: »
    Semantic and mental gymnastics.

Also, you may want to consider switching to decaf.

Posting honestly doesn't take that much time.

Reading can, but when you are in a discussion with someone as one dimensional as I have been here, you already know what is going to be said - skim reading a post to make sure it says what you expected the reply to be (and often already have a reply ready for) is fairly quick.

I agree that it is all semantics - but I will not leave the comment stand that I said something that I did not say.
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited June 22
    Abarat wrote: »
    Semantic and mental gymnastics.

This is AMAZING - isn't it ?

At some Point Someone will have - "unfortunately" - more or less talked their fill over every single Content of the Game, to the Extent of what is truly already known, is/was recently showed in a monthly Presentation,

and long Story short no matter how much more Time is invested to talk about it -> it is usually just Speculation, plus "What if"-Scenarios - and People can exchange their Convictions about "how" a System in the Game should be,

but that's it. There is not really anything constructive to talk about anymore. The Information Flood is sated and new Information is given later and sometimes takes a Year or Two to get published. :sweat_smile:

Posting honestly doesn't take that much time.

It is STILL impressive however. I think i would probably not even able to post and comment this much, if someone would pay me for it. Because i get a Headache already from the THOUGHT ALONE of investing so much of my time and my Focus into something that might be a complete Waste of Time regarding the Endresults of the Game, that we see earliest in probably One or a Two Years or so.

It is honestly and by all means amazing how much Time and Investment some of the Users in the Forum here can bring up to discuss Mechanis and how they might be better or not - when in Truth, we actually don't even know yet how they will be realised in the Alpha Two and later on, should the Game ever finally near it's Completion, right ? ;)

I remember this Picture here from the "Meme's Topic" and it hurts deeply actually how accurate this is. I hope of Course that the Release will be "before" 2030. My annoyed gutfeeling tells me it is probably between 2026 and 2028. Meanwhile i have to watch how Blizzard grows fat YET AGAIN with another WoW Expansion. :sweat_smile:

Even the " AGE " of the Person inside this Picture feels accurate. Some of us would just really want to finally play a good MMO just one last time in our Lifes before our Bodies give out. :sweat_smile:

h3uuwbywceej.jpg

Maybe i am just to much in Withdrawl for new Information like every single time between a 15th of a Month and the closing in Deadline/End of the Month were usually a new Presentation comes out,

but i understand why some People sarcastically joke around Ashes of Creation and talk like it will never come out and it is a new Duke Nukem Forever and so on. :sweat_smile:

Place your bets, Guys. Half Life Three, or Ashes of Creation. Which will see the Light of the World first ? :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
    Aszkalon wrote: »

It is STILL impressive however. I think i would probably not even able to post and comment this much, if someone would pay me for it. Because i get a Headache already from the THOUGHT ALONE of investing so much of my time and my Focus into something that might be a complete Waste of Time regarding the Endresults of the Game, that we see earliest in probably One or a Two Years or so.

Oh, I have no misconception that anything I say on these forums has any impact on the game.

I would hope Intrepid have people with enough experience to not need to rely on outsourcing this kind of thing.

I mean, I don't expect my doctor to go to Reddit and ask them what medical treatment I need. When I hire a plumber or electrician, I expect them to understand how to do their job without needing to look up Instagram photos of finished jobs.

If professionals are looking to the public to tell them how to do their job, they are not professionals. I expect that Intrepid will make the game, and we on the forums will talk about the game. There should be no cross over of these two things at all, until we have our hands on the game and find actual mistakes.

Any time spent on these forums with the expectation that it will make the game better is wasted time, imo.
  • Don't do it. It'll kill the game. Battlepasses are not actually a successful concept and fail 100% of the time. It just a matter of the games being good enough in all other areas that people still play anyway.The problem is they are additional things to do on top of everything else you have to do to gain things that probably should be in the game through other means. They have absolutely no place in an MMO. I have quit games before just for having them because they made the game bad enough for me to quit.

It is not something that respects the players time. It's just a filthy cash in system publishers like to push to gain more money when there are more honest and fun ways to do it.MMO's are already games that sap all your free time on their own. They really don't benefit from systems like these at all.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
    Cosmetics - like the ones in the Cosmetic Store - will not be in the game.
    If you don't emjoy earning Cosmetics by doing stuff you like to do in the game - just ignore the Battlepass.
    Modern Battlepasses 100% respect the players' time. Can't be a "filthy cash-in system" when the paid BP costs less than most of the items in the Cosmetic Store.
    Modern BPs are as honest and fun for Casual Challenge players as Raids are for Hardcore Challenge players.
  • OtrOtr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    If you don't emjoy earning Cosmetics by doing stuff you like to do in the game - just ignore the Battlepass.
    Modern Battlepasses 100% respect the players' time. Can't be a "filthy cash-in system" when the paid BP costs less than most of the items in the Cosmetic Store.
    Modern BPs are as honest and fun for Casual Challenge players as Raids are for Hardcore Challenge players.

If AoC gets battlepasses, will you play them?
    edited June 28
    Not actively. Because the only thing I will be doing in Ashes is exploring.
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not actively. Because the only thing I will be doing in Ashes is exploring.

I want to hunt you
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    They shouldn’t even be considered.

Battlepasses are a thing of cheap FOMO marketing meant to spook players into boosting activity metrics and cash income because it’ll expire and be gone

Make a good game with rewarding quests
    Apok wrote: »
    I want to hunt you
    Yep. Feel free.
    edited July 5
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Battlepasses are a thing of cheap FOMO marketing meant to spook players into boosting activity metrics and cash income because it’ll expire and be gone
    Also possible to make a good game with rewarding Battlepasses.
    Modern Battlepasses have much less FOMO than the Ashes Monthly Cosmetics did.

• EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They shouldn’t even be considered.

this
  • leameseleamese Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No Battlepass.
    Also possible to make a good game with rewarding Battlepasses.
    Modern Battlepasses have much less FOMO than the Ashes Monthly Cosmetics did.

It isn't possible to make one that doesn't automatically give the negative association that has been so prominantly on display in this thread.

To many people - especially the more mature gaming audiance - the very existance of a battlepass renders them uninterested in the game as a whole. This in itself is reason enough to not add one.

Attempting to circumvent that distaste by calling it something else will generate real animosity towards Intrepid, in much the same way Archeages monetization generated animosity towards Trion despite them previously being a fairly well respected developer/producer.
  • OtrOtr Member
    edited July 5

Time can be respected even more if they provide those cosmetics immediately and let the player do whatever wants to do in the game, which is not necessarily related to getting cosmetics. Like logging in and chatting with players, role playing, fishing, destroying random caravans...
    The game is supposed to be more a sandbox where you do what you want rather than a theme-park where you do something specific because you payed to get cosmetics.
    Can't be a "filthy cash-in system" when the paid BP costs less than most of the items in the Cosmetic Store.
    This would be true if the cosmetic store and the BP would be provided by different companies.
    But they are not. Otherwise you would buy and play these Battlepasses and you would not even think that the same people added the "deal-breaker" deep ocean with full PvP.

You can't enjoy the game thinking that somewhere there are players killing each-other.
    The same way BP impact the game-play of those who want a game without them.
    edited July 5
    Otr wrote: »
    Time can be respected even more if they provide those cosmetics immediately and let the player do whatever wants to do in the game, which is not necessarily related to getting cosmetics. Like logging in and chatting with players, role playing, fishing, destroying random caravans...
    The game is supposed to be more a sandbox where you do what you want rather than a theme-park where you do something specific because you payed to get cosmetics.
    Ashes is a Themebox; not a Sandbox.
    I don't know why doing stuff to get Gear or doing stuff to get Achievements is more respectful of time than doing stuff to get Cosmetics.
    Modern Battlepasses typically have a Free Path.
    Based on APOC, I expect the Ashes MMORPG to also have a Free Battlepass. Might also have a Paid BP Path.
    Logging in, Fishing and destroying Caravans would very likely also be BP Tasks.
    Chatting with players would probably not be a BP Task - just as it would not provide Adventurer or Artisan XP and just as it would not be a Quest or an Achievement Task.
    BP Tasks do not negate roleplaying in any way.

This would be true if the cosmetic store and the BP would be provided by different companies.
    But they are not. Otherwise you would buy and play these Battlepasses and you would not even think that the same people added the "deal-breaker" deep ocean with full PvP.
    I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean.
    Battlepasses can be free.
    The company -Intrepid- has previously implemented a Battlepass for APOC - which is why I expect them to do the same for their MMORPG.
    And that same company also added the Open Seas with FFA PvP.

You can't enjoy the game thinking that somewhere there are players killing each-other.
    LMAO
    I play WoW and NW just fine knowing that somewhere there are other players killing each other.
    I just won't play a game that has large areas with FFA non-consensual PvP because I don't want other players to be able to disrupt my game session goals when I'm not in the mood for PvP.
    The Open Seas would not be a deal-breaker for me if I could remain flagged as a Non-Combatant every where in the game.
    I dunno how a BP affects the gameplay of gamers who wish to ignore the BP. They can just ignore the BP.

• OtrOtr Member
    Based on APOC, I expect the Ashes MMORPG to also have a Free Battlepass. Might also have a Paid BP Path.
    I'll have to think how to answer.

You said a lot in this thread: "I expect"
    What do you mean by that?
    You want?
    You predict in a detached way?
    You don't seem detached while debating this topic but more like willing to move the balance toward battle passes as if you would want to make the game better for you, even though you say you will not play it.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dunno how a BP affects the gameplay of gamers who wish to ignore the BP. They can just ignore the BP.

You can just uno reverse this and say you can ignore the ocean.

dm64mzxse52u.png
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • ClonageClonage Member
    Haven't really read what others have said so sorry if it's repetitive.
    I'm not really opposed to a free BP but meh... I wouldn't like to see a paid one that's for sure, specially since the game is Sub-based.
    But let's be real, free BPs only exist to promote paid BPs otherwise there's no point in having a free BP, might as well add the rewards in the game for achievements or doing content.
    I'd rather intrepid spend the time and resources on banger costumes/skins for the ember store than shoehorning a few mediocre skins here and there in a free/paid BP.
  • OtrOtr Member
    "Ashes is a Themebox; not a Sandbox."
    Themebox is a mix between Sandbox and Themepark.
    I prefer the Sandbox aspect of the game.
    You said you don't like Sandbox so that is where the disagreement between us starts.

I don't know why doing stuff to get Gear or doing stuff to get Achievements is more respectful of time than doing stuff to get Cosmetics.
    I like games which "disrespect" your time.
    I like that we can have flying mounts but not all of us will get them.
    I don't like other players to just come and do in 1-2 weeks some activities and show me that they got things fast and then vanish from the game for 2 months until a next battle pass comes even if those are just cosmetics.
    I prefer players to be in the game all the time and create social structures, so that they need each other. And those social structures to be the ones which matter and rewards (including cosmetics) to be given for such dedication rather than to casuals who just visit the game.

Modern Battlepasses typically have a Free Path.
    I don't care that they are free.
    It bothers me if they tell me to do something.
    I don't want to do what I am being told to do.
    I want to be my decision to do that when I want to do that. That is the sandbox aspect of the game in a theme box. I want whatever is in that box (grains of sand or pieces of themes) those to be linked to the rise and fall of nodes rather than battlepasses which reward players who do not want to play the real game. (like you)

The company -Intrepid- has previously implemented a Battlepass for APOC - which is why I expect them to do the same for their MMORPG.
    You said a lot in this thread: "I expect"
    What do you mean by that?
    You want?
    You predict in a detached way?
    You don't seem detached while debating this topic but more like willing to move the balance toward battle passes as if you would want to make the game better for you, even though you say you will not play it.

Whatever arguments we bring, you keep saying that BPs can be made in a way that will not cause whatever problems we see.
    But "can" does not mean they "will" be done like that.
    For you seems important to get them.

So tell me what you have to gain here if you will not play the game anyway.
    And that same company also added the Open Seas with FFA PvP.
    And the same company said the last chance to buy Alpha 2 keys is January and now they open access again.
    You like to highlight their dishonesty when we debate about battle-passes.
    I wonder if you really want to see this game succeed or you secretly want it to fail because they added that Open Seas with FFA PvP after Steven told you in the interview that the game will be safe to explore everywhere.

Logging in, Fishing and destroying Caravans would very likely also be BP Tasks.
    Chatting with players would probably not be a BP Task - just as it would not provide Adventurer or Artisan XP and just as it would not be a Quest or an Achievement Task.
    BP Tasks do not negate roleplaying in any way.
    This part might be explained above.
    The key word is "BP Tasks"
    And can be linked with "respect time"
    I don't want to see tasks and time bonus to get something if you do it when the developer decides.

Can't be a "filthy cash-in system" when the paid BP costs less than most of the items in the Cosmetic Store.

I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean.
    You cannot defend BPs in any way compared to anything else which is provided by the same company.
    It works only when two companies compete on a free market and one would offer something to take customers away from the other one.
    In this case we are customers of the same company.

LMAO
    I play WoW and NW just fine knowing that somewhere there are other players killing each other.
    I just won't play a game that has large areas with FFA non-consensual PvP because I don't want other players to be able to disrupt my game session goals when I'm not in the mood for PvP.
    I agree that is a "hard" disrupt.

The Open Seas would not be a deal-breaker for me if I could remain flagged as a Non-Combatant every where in the game.
    The presence of a BP is a "soft" disrupt.
    If I am in a guild or citizen of a node and I depend to other players, I am influenced when others drop their normal game-play and rush to do BP tasks.
    By telling me that those BP tasks overlap with what I was doing normally does not help. It just hurts as it feels like the developer telling me to do them.
    Those tasks should not be linked to a BP.

BP would be ok for me if only seasonal players would have to do those BP tasks and I would get those cosmetic rewards instantly without any effort to do tasks. They should just appear in the inventory of all players who play regularly the game.
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    In a subscription based game, I would be cool with them as long as they are either included within the paid subscription, or if you can pay in game gold to access them. It can act of a solid system for a gold sink.

As far as monetization goes, I don't particularly want them. But, if they remain entirely cosmetic. No attainable currency, materials, quality of life features, P2W, XP gains, etc. As long as they steer clear of those things, I wouldn't mind the idea of dropping $5 to $10 for a pass once or twice a year.
    GJjUGHx.gif