Battlepass in MMOs

1212223242527»

Comments

• edited September 27
    Dygz wrote: »
    Haha. Well, that link starts without the context of the question that was asked.
    LMAO
    Yes, here's the full context of "if people want BPs - will you make them?". And as you can see by the response, BPs are always associated with shitty monetization practices. The entire chat was yelling "please no".
    https://www.twitch.tv/ashesofcreation/clip/CutePeacefulWhaleGivePLZ-ZLIcFAecpHtuXOX1

But even outside of that, the "No BPs" was said within the context that cosmetics will be sold on a market place which is NOT in the form of a BP, as you previously expected.

If Steven wanted to put a BP into the game (even a free one), why would he generalize the answer of "BP is not something we want to introduce".

In other words, Dygz, I think this is just the classic case of "what I think is good should be in the game". We all have those and now you have one too :o
  • I think Battlepasses are the probably worst mechanic outside of straight pay2win buy Gold/Equipment.

They are the No 1 reason I stopped playing games I might have enjoyed otherwise.
    Sometimes you can't play for a week or two because life happens (job, family, whatever) - then you can't catch up on the time-limited battlepass - FOMO sets in and not being able to complete an "easy" goal, its a trigger to reevaluate work vs reward, I realize that I am just farming nonstop for a 4h raid every 3 months and I just quit the game.

I really hope Ashes does NOT implement the following mechs people think are good but have really negative Effects:
    - Battlepass
    - Daily Login Rewards
    - Rewards for being logged in x hours
    - Archievments (never fun - just dopamine for doing unfun stuff for hours...)
    - Buying Gold/Equipment for $$$ (already confirmed multiple times, but belongs on the list...)
    - plugins/mods (I'd rather actually play a simpler encounter than have the WoW experience of having to have an addon scream into my ear so I don't forget that mechanic 2537 of the boss is coming soon...)
    - API/Logging that enables stuff like wowanalyzer - this is one created one of the most "toxic" (don't really like the word as it is imprecise, but can't think of a different one here) environments I've ever seen.
    Actually good players get denied because they were 5% shy of perfect and the grp only takes up to 2% shy...

Here is what I would like to see:
    - Progression for Cosmetics - As I understand it, cosmetics different from regular progression looks always look the same (even though you need the item)
    To me this is lowkey power since you can hide the "quality" of your item (especially since there is no "inspect" as far as I remember
    - On release: Require a 3 month sub (maybe after a short trial) to start. - $15 is way too low to discourage botzing, no matter how good your detection is - especially if low-lvl materials are actually valuable.
    - Actually have humans check your ban-system.
    - Free Expression in Chat and Voicechat unless it is something actually illegal and an unlimited ignore-list (If someone doesn't like what you are saying they shouldn't have to read/listen, but I think banning someone for having a stupid or ignorant take on something is just wrong).
    I think this is one of the biggest killers of voicechat in games: People being afraid to literally having their character cancelled... (I think at least one company even bans you from all their games for it...)
  • ZehlanZehlan Member
    Wanting a BP in an subscription MMO? Sounds like some people are trying to paddle the school canoe!

https://youtu.be/sKiLfH3DVGc?si=isbd12WEpNDbRVqE
  • OtrOtr Member
    edited 6:56AM
    Nice!

Although, notice that both Steven and Margaret said your wording didn't make sense (which I agree with):
    Otr wants to know about monetization: If people want Battlepasses, would you make them?
    First attempt to get an update was rejected because the information is already on wiki.
    So I had to reformulate in a way which acknowledge current status on wiki and put to test your
    Everything is subject to change. Except no P2W.

(It's not about whether the players ask them to make a BP. I think Steven will decide to make BPs due to the popular trend and as part of their Seasonal content drops. Also, due to having one in APOC.)

Popular? Not for players.

https://staticctf.ubisoft.com/8aefmxkxpxwl/5U6140Jg0IaqobyAIIEawC/af3b587a1c81f379d57bc64eefdd0285/PR_Trading_update_25092024_final.pdf

8sx5qbu3aa5c.png
  • syldonsyldon Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    The answers given in the stream regarding monetization and the predatory practises some companies are adopting gave me more hope for AoC than it has for a very long time.

WoW has gone full kilter with this in TWW expansion. They have deliberately added a massive reduction in gold rewards for completing events within the game, while doubling down on the gold sink that is professions. While at the same increasing the benefits of consumables and raid enchants to make them more pertinent in your output in a raid. All this is forcing players into the direction of paying real money for tokens to compete at an equal level.

Blizz has already lost me as a future customer. I stupidly paid for a yearly sub on two accounts which run out early feb 25. I am down to raid logging now just to help out. I have no intention of playing anymore than that. What would be the point. If I found a niche that was entertaining in the game, then I am am sure Blizz would now look for way to abuse that also. They are not a company to be trusted anymore, not that they have shown anything worthwhile for a very long time.
    dikruvxh2njh.png