Alpha 2 Keys

Comments

• RipteyeRipteye Member
    edited July 8
    StickyRubb wrote: »
    Good thing it isn't up to you and is instead up to intrepid to run their business.

2 years ago when you bought your pack you were supporting the funding for the game itself and A2 access was simply a perk that came along with that choice.

If you are upset about spending the money then you simply shouldn't have spent it in the first place.

Bring as many people as possible into A2!

I spent that money 4 years ago because it was the only way to get access to the game in the foreseeable future. Yes, I also spent it because I wanted to support the company, but that doesn't make it right to strip the package from all its parts except for the key, and then sell it for less money under the guise of; 'but there are no skins included!'. It's just coming across as disingenuous, and I shouldn't have to tell you this.

They owe you nothing other than what they already sold you at fair market value. Take responsibility for your decision.
  • wakkytabbakywakkytabbaky Member
    edited July 8
    the way i see it as long as the keys cost 100usd then those that bought the voyager pack dont really have much to complain about.

75% of people will most likely buy something from the cosmetic store at some point cos face it everyone does so theres value in the embers we got. have to pay for sub time anyway so first 6 months is covered. if you add the game time and embers alone that comes to 175usd. so alpha 2 + betas and cosmetics comes to 75 dollars. even if you dont care about the cosmectics you didnt pay that much in itself for alpha 2 only difference voyagers ( myself included) have done is just pay for cosmetic store credit and sub upfront

now not saying since its only 75 bucks for the remaining stuff that it should be that cheap to get in now but just saying the voyager people aint getting ripped off and that they got a good deal.

i get where everyone is coming from about the re release of keys and honestly the keys shouldnt go back on sale until after A2 launches and is stable because as it stands theres over 100k people and its gonna be a shit show on launch as is.

now if IS turns around and throws it out for less than 100usd than that will end up causing more harm than good
  • StickyRubb wrote: »
    Good thing it isn't up to you and is instead up to intrepid to run their business.

2 years ago when you bought your pack you were supporting the funding for the game itself and A2 access was simply a perk that came along with that choice.

If you are upset about spending the money then you simply shouldn't have spent it in the first place.

I spent that money 4 years ago because it was the only way to get access to the game in the foreseeable future. Yes, I also spent it because I wanted to support the company, but that doesn't make it right to strip the package from all its parts except for the key, and then sell it for less money under the guise of; 'but there are no skins included!'. It's just coming across as disingenuous, and I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Please explain how any of this is wrong, disingenuous, or shady?

They gave plenty of time for the pack sales, they allowed you to upgrade packs after the fact. They even stated very clearly keys MAY be available for sale separately at a later date if their needs increase.

Please give me a valid reason that isn't "I paid more", I got FOMO/they created FOMO, or you are wanting to make it as exclusive as possible?
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Thoughts?
    Anybody that cares for so much matters needs to go for a long walk and think about their lifes choices and come up with a new plan.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 8
    Here is another thought.
    Maybe you should start a topic about the features of AoC and its development, a game that tries to bring back the joy of playing mmos, after 2 decades of crap, instead of talking about how IS should run their business.
    You have one lame topic in your account and frankly it was a mistake that I wasted my time here.
  • Will they allow us to purchase gifts for friends when they open the A2's? I have a lot of close friends that i would like to gift A2 access to.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    Will they allow us to purchase gifts for friends when they open the A2's? I have a lot of close friends that i would like to gift A2 access to.

I like that idea tbh.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You didn't buy alpha 2, you bought a bundle that includes alpha 2, stand alone keys won't get the bundle, no one forced you to buy it

Furthermore, the more testers, the faster the game releases
  • SengardenSengarden Member
    I'm sorry, but paying for exclusivity, or suggesting that your purchase - because it already came with a bunch of other stuff with a real world value of almost $200 that you willingly and knowingly paid for in addition to A2 access - should grant you some sort of post-purchase early access is so unbelievably toxic. Gated access? Really? This isn't even a final product, and gated access is bad enough for those.

It's an alpha test. You paid $250 to get into an alpha test, and didn't even stop to consider how they were getting you to spend so much. Did you even want $100 in cosmetic shop currency? No? Then why did you buy it? Maybe you should spend the time you took to write this forum post reconsidering how you spend your money if you're going to be this sour over market-price fluctuations and bundled-vs-solo product availability based on supply and demand.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 9
    Ripteye wrote: »
    Still requires math
    Barely.

It requires adding a decimal point.
    and in a game where minors will be spending their allowance, I believe this to be predatory.
    They really shouldn't be.

First, Ashes is not a game aimed at minors.

Second, you need a credit card to make these purchases, which excludes minors without consent of a parent. If you have a minor that is not able to convert 1000 embers to $10 immediately in their head, and they have unmonitored access to an internet capable computer, that is really not Intrepids fault.

Essentially, if a minor is in Ashes making these purchases unaccompanied, that is a parenting issue.

The reason currencies like this exist is because it means the game developer only needs to have one version of the games store. If they made it so you just purchased with regular currency, they would need one version of the store for every region in the world that had a different currency. Doing it this way, they have the one version of the store in game, and then the actual shop (where transactions involving money happens) is handled via a web service that specalizes in multi-national pricing - leaving all of that mess to be handled out of the game.

The currency aspect of embers is absolutely not an issue, and is indeed essentially required for an in game shop to function.

Edit to add; From Intrepids privacy policy;
    Our Services are intended for a general audience and are not intended for Children.
    So yeah, don't leave your children playing Ashes unaccompanied.
  • OtrOtr Member
    The game looking better and better, the price of Alpha 2 access should increase.
    And those late comers should get for free as part of the price also some cosmetics, especially female outfits, a few of them, because I noticed people like them a lot.
  • TorsteinTorstein Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Like Ripteye already said, there is already a thread on this topic. With that said, there is a difference in buying a supporter pack (with many different perks, one of which being alpha access) to help fund a kickstarter project get realized compared to said project offering a pure key to a testing phase. People saying they have bought alpha 2 access for 250$ is disregarding everything else these supporter packs came with and the fact that they were there to support the game come to reality.

We should really try to remember that the ones of us that has bought supporter packs are a minority, not everyone is following games that are in the works and let alone being able to put 250$ towards said unreleased game.
  • OtrOtr Member
    edited July 9
    Torstein wrote: »
    not everyone is following games that are in the works and let alone being able to put 250$ towards said unreleased game.
    If they pay less, they should get limited access: 5 months of A2 testing.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Will they allow us to purchase gifts for friends when they open the A2's? I have a lot of close friends that i would like to gift A2 access to.
    I like that idea tbh.

Gifting has been brought up in the past. Just like alternate ways of paying for a sub (ie. subtime gift cards) and others. That way lies RMT and an ability to exchange in game assets for money. Intrepid is against RMT and gifting is not something they currently allow, and from past comments will entertain.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but paying for exclusivity, or suggesting that your purchase - because it already came with a bunch of other stuff with a real world value of almost $200 that you willingly and knowingly paid for in addition to A2 access - should grant you some sort of post-purchase early access is so unbelievably toxic. Gated access? Really? This isn't even a final product, and gated access is bad enough for those.

It's an alpha test. You paid $250 to get into an alpha test, and didn't even stop to consider how they were getting you to spend so much. Did you even want $100 in cosmetic shop currency? No? Then why did you buy it? Maybe you should spend the time you took to write this forum post reconsidering how you spend your money if you're going to be this sour over market-price fluctuations and bundled-vs-solo product availability based on supply and demand.

This. You are not special because you made a decision to purchase something that does not even exist yet.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Still requires math
    Barely.

It requires adding a decimal point.
    and in a game where minors will be spending their allowance, I believe this to be predatory.
    They really shouldn't be.

First, Ashes is not a game aimed at minors.

Second, you need a credit card to make these purchases, which excludes minors without consent of a parent. If you have a minor that is not able to convert 1000 embers to $10 immediately in their head, and they have unmonitored access to an internet capable computer, that is really not Intrepids fault.

Essentially, if a minor is in Ashes making these purchases unaccompanied, that is a parenting issue.

The reason currencies like this exist is because it means the game developer only needs to have one version of the games store. If they made it so you just purchased with regular currency, they would need one version of the store for every region in the world that had a different currency. Doing it this way, they have the one version of the store in game, and then the actual shop (where transactions involving money happens) is handled via a web service that specalizes in multi-national pricing - leaving all of that mess to be handled out of the game.

The currency aspect of embers is absolutely not an issue, and is indeed essentially required for an in game shop to function.

Our Services are intended for a general audience and are not intended for Children.

It is funny I agree with most of what you said; however to say it is not predatory is not a factual statement.

Predatory behavior refers to actions and conduct characterized by the exploitation, manipulation, or harm of others for personal gain, satisfaction, or gratification. This behavior often involves deceit, aggression, or manipulation to take advantage of vulnerable individuals or situations.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    The sale of Alpha Keys and Embers are not one in the same. When you purchased Packs you knew exactly what you were paying for. When you purchase Embers it requires more thought and reasoning to determine exactly what you are purchasing, that is different than knowing outright.

It is predatory and I really do not think anyone with a brain can argue otherwise.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    edited July 9

Where is the line? Are we talking 5 year olds or 16 year olds? Most teenagers today have some form of a credit card or debt card. How do they determine who is behind the screen? It is disingenuous in todays world to simply say it is not indented for children, unless you have some form of verification. When I bought my Preoder packs it never asked me to verify my age. Children will play this game, and yes parents need to be more mindful.

Companies know though the truth of the matter.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    edited July 9
    Still requires math

This is not true otherwise you would need to purchase preoder packs with Embers. Also how do you purchase Embers? With your regions currency, the conversion rate is determined very easily outside of the developers website. Either way a conversion happens.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    The reason Gaming companies made their own currency is because it is easy to prey on people.
  • LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 9
    I'm glad that there will be new A2 keys and many people who could not afford to buy $250 packages will join us.
    But still, I also understand that 80% of people who bought A2 packages would not have done so earlier if they knew that Intrepids would release them before the launch or at the beginning of the launch of A2. Most of them were not interested in cosmetics and monthly subscriptions included in the packs.
    edited July 9
    It is funny I agree with most of what you said; however to say it is not predatory is not a factual statement.
    It is a factual statement.

Setting up a currency like this is the only way game developers have come up with to be able to sell products in game around the world.

There are a few factors to consider here;

The first is that Intrepids costs are in $US, and so that needs to be the basis of their income.

The second is that most countries around the world require all products to have the advertised price be the actual price paid (so, no conversions, tax needs to be included etc).

The third thing to consider is that the actual value of currencies changes all the time.

What these all add up to is that if Intrepid attempted to have an in game store that handled all transactions and currency exchanges in the game itself, the game would need to be updated every few seconds to account for changes in currencies that are supported.

This is obviously not going to work.

So, instead, they set that exchange to happen outside of the game - by a third party that specalizes in this. So, you use that website to purchase in game currency, and they advertise the price of items using that in game currency.

This means that they are able to advertise the actual cost for the parts of the world that require this (which, as far as I know, is all but one country). This also means they don't need to update the game (or the store) every time there is a change in currency valuation somewhere in the world.

Keep in mind, the above is the reason why you can purchase things for games on websites using regular currency, but if you are buying it in game, you either use an in game currency, or you are taken out of the game and given a website to make that purchase (developers of online games do not like forcing people out of the game, which is why they often won't have a means of doing this in game.

Sure, a system like this "can" be used for ill intent. I am not disputing that. However, the existence of this kind of system does not mean ill is indeed intended. It's like owning a hacksaw in that regard - they absolutely can be used for ill intent, but owning one does not mean you have that intent to do ill.

I may be wrong, but I think this is where our opinions mostly diverge - you are assuming the simple act of owning the tool means the intent to use the tool for ill is present. I see the owning of the tool as nothing more than owning the tool.

I also want to point out that you are compleletely wrong with your characterizing this as being preditory - using your own comment here
    Predatory behavior refers to actions and conduct characterized by the exploitation, manipulation, or harm of others for personal gain, satisfaction, or gratification. This behavior often involves deceit, aggression, or manipulation to take advantage of vulnerable individuals or situations.
    There i sno deceit, aggression or manipulation in this system, thus by your own provided definition it is not preditory.

You could make an argument if it cost something like $12.47 to purchase 9.25 embers. That is needlessly obfuscating the real value of them. However, with an exchange of $10 for 1000, they have done everything they can to specifically not manipulate things.

The fact that their scaling for spending additional money on embers is fairly consistent also says they are not trying to be manipulative in any way. Spend $10 and get 1000, or spend $25 and get an additional 10% for free, or spend #35 and get an additional 15% free, or spend $60 and get 20% for free, or spend $100 and get 35% for free. Because most people can't or won't do the math, and because the %35 and %60 are most likely to be the bigger sellers, manipulative would be if they offered fewer additional embers for these two packs - but they have not.

I am not the biggest fan of some things Intrepid are doing, and have been vocal enough about that on these forums. However, they have already demonstrated a desire to not be manipulative in the manner you have talked about, and so them using a tool that others use to be manipulative is not cause for concern.

In all honesty, the closest thing to manipulation by Intrepid is the notion of selling things for $9.99 rather than $10. That is a known manipulation that many businesses do, as people associate $9.99 as being under $10, or $99.99 as being under $100, and so are more ready to spend. I don't think anyone is willing to give Intrepid shit over this specifically, but it is indeed a form of manipulation designed to get people to spend more.
    Lineager wrote: »
    I'm glad that there will be new A2 keys and many people who could not afford to buy $250 packages will join us.
    But still, I also understand that 80% of people who bought A2 packages would not have done so earlier if they knew that Intrepids would release them before the launch or at the beginning of the launch of A2. Most of them were not interested in cosmetics and monthly subscriptions included in the packs.

I fully fall in to this catagory.

However, I purchased a thing from Intrepid at an agreed upon price. If I get the thing I paid for, I have no reason to complain that someone else for the same thing cheaper.

I got the purchase I signed up for.
  • StickyRubbStickyRubb Member
    edited July 9

They gave plenty of time for the pack sales, they allowed you to upgrade packs after the fact. They even stated very clearly keys MAY be available for sale separately at a later date if their needs increase.

Please give me a valid reason that isn't "I paid more", I got FOMO/they created FOMO, or you are wanting to make it as exclusive as possible?

I'll start by saying that I am just as hyped for Ashes as I was 4 years ago. I don't dislike Intrepid at all, I just wanted to voice my honest opinion.

Let's be real; Intrepid themselves didn't anticipate this progress in terms of server capabilities, so how could players? Yes, they mentioned that in the future, maybe they'll sell Alpha 2 access again. I don't think anyone had a clue that it would be BEFORE A2 launches. I think that's a big part of it. Years ago we bought access because we were under the impression that it was the only way to get in at the START of A2. Sure, others might join later, but I wanna be there at the beginning. So, after years and years, it's almost time to get something for the hundreds of dollars we paid, and now they sell the same access for less money. I know, there is more in the package than the access and I don't regret my purchase, but who knows when we'll be able to use the rest of our package. How long will it take before we can utilise the rest of what we paid for? All these upcoming years the new buyers will have a much better deal in their hands.

• Here is another thought.
    Maybe you should start a topic about the features of AoC and its development, a game that tries to bring back the joy of playing mmos, after 2 decades of crap, instead of talking about how IS should run their business.
    You have one lame topic in your account and frankly it was a mistake that I wasted my time here.

I'm not talking about a lack of quality in the game itself. I think Ashes is going to turn out amazing. I'm strictly talking about practices that could come across as predatory.
  • Sengarden wrote: »

I mentioned this in my post already, but at the time those expensive packages were the only way to get access. We had no clue that Intrepid would sell keys BEFORE A2 would launch. Which is what it's looking like right now. I'm pretty sure most of us were under the impression that buying a large package was the only way to be there at the START of A2.
  • StickyRubbStickyRubb Member
    edited July 9
    Lineager wrote: »

My thoughts exactly, and I fail to see why so many people can't fathom this thought process.
  • Liniker wrote: »
    I believe intrepid will honor their previous backers and not release A2 access for anything less than 250$. The majority of people did not buy their packs for cosmetics, gametime or embers, they paid 250$ to get access. Intrepid is not EA, Ubisoft or Blizzard to pretend they don't know this.

Exactly.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member

I'll start by saying that I am just as hyped for Ashes as I was 4 years ago. I don't dislike Intrepid at all, I just wanted to voice my honest opinion.

Let's be real; Intrepid themselves didn't anticipate this progress in terms of server capabilities, so how could players? Yes, they mentioned that in the future, maybe they'll sell Alpha 2 access again. I don't think anyone had a clue that it would be BEFORE A2 launches. I think that's a big part of it. Years ago we bought access because we were under the impression that it was the only way to get in at the START of A2. Sure, others might join later, but I wanna be there at the beginning. So, after years and years, it's almost time to get something for the hundreds of dollars we paid, and now they sell the same access for less money. I know, there is more in the package than the access and I don't regret my purchase, but who knows when we'll be able to use the rest of our package. How long will it take before we can utilise the rest of what we paid for? All these upcoming years the new buyers will have a much better deal in their hands.

All of that is irrelevant for today. Just like you intrepid can not predict the future. They owe you only what you purchased at the time of purchase.
  • RipteyeRipteye Member
    edited July 9
    Doesn't matter you made the decision to purchase when you did. They have the right to change the price and what is or is not included whenever they so choose.