Is there a problem for solo players

Comments

• iccericcer Member
    edited September 11
    Okay so we got a response finally, well kinda.

First off, I want to address those arguing against this post and those who have similar arguments:

I think some people who are coming here to argue these points are coming from a wrong angle. The way those people argued the point made it seem how you HAVE to be grouped up whenever you play the game, because this game is made for groups, and only group content matters. That's also why I was stuck arguing those points, that lead nowhere.
    That's completely missing the point though, and has made the conversation go backwards.

The argument should be about explaining that players will not have to only do group content 24/7 whenever they're logged in, and how you need filler content that you will do in-between group stuff. You cannot expect the game to only have group content, and you cannot expect to be in a group all the time.
    So instead of arguing that, instead just say "You don't have to be in a group 24/7, there is content that's doable solo, here's an example...". (Hey, and some people have done that, which has actually made me change my stance on this issue, but not completely).

We have examples, and we should now discuss why those are or aren't enough.

And onto those examples we go:

@Chaliux @AirborneBerserker

I'm just going to mention that world events and caravans will be group content, that's doable solo. You don't have to join a pre-made group, you can just run around, do the event, assist people around you, while playing alone. When it comes to Caravans specifically, there's a Highwayman system - read about it if you aren't aware of it. You will be rewarded for participating.
    It very much is content that's doable solo.

I will agree that some of the 15 pieces of content listed really are just "playstyles", as mentioned.

2 and 9 are just PK bait. People will all gravitate towards these and PKers will realize this and lie in wait.

That would really depend on how the corruption system works, and how punishing it is. It might not be worth to flag up for that. I also don't agree at all that world events are PK bait at all.

I'll again mention that most of this stuff will be done in between, when you can't get a group.
    It is still expected that you will get a group at some point, and that's when you will do the group content that the game has to offer, which is also the main content of this game.

Let's take a look at this example:

If I log in in the morning, when there are not a lot of players online, and when maybe my group/guild isn't doing group content (simply due to numbers, or just because it's in the morning, and they don't want to), I will simply go out and do my own thing, because remember, that stuff can also be done in this game.
    I'll go gather materials, maybe do some crafting, I'll join some events on the way, maybe I'll run into a caravan, and I might just join that event, I might go out and farm some mobs, whether for certain drops, gold, or whatever. I can also queue for BGs/Arena,
    All of that stuff will help me get richer, which in turn makes me stronger.

Then I can maybe log out, I'm going to work, or whatever. When I come back, I can join a group, do some dungeons, maybe contest a world boss, maybe run some caravans, or whatever other group content is available in the game at that time. At certain days you will have huge events like sieges (castle or node).

---

Here's where I'm seeing issues:

- This might not be enough content. Which is why I asked, what do you want to be added? Give an example from other games maybe.
    - People are afraid of PKers, and corruption system not discouraging PKing enough (wow would you look at that, somehow we always end up talking about this point). They feel like even if they do solo content, they're at very high risk of getting PKed. It's a valid concern, we just have to see how the system works.

But here's an even bigger issue:

- It seems that the issue people have here is simply with the game's design which is centered around group content, and where group content is the main content.

You would just have to get over it, because that's not going to change. However, that's also why i keep asking, WHAT SOLO CONTENT DO YOU WANT TO BE ADDED? because an answer to this questions will help a lot. If it's something that doesn't clash with group focused content of Ashes, where both can co-exist, then it's not a problem at all, and I don't see why it couldn't be added.
    If it is something that's going to take away from the group content, however, then you simply are maybe looking for something that Ashes isn't about.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I will say it again if you are looking for groups of people to play with you can find a guild THERE IS NO EXCUSE to be comparing about not having people to group with. That should be impossible, that would be you making up excuses since you are too damn stubborn.

There is no reason you have to be in a group if you don't want to, I'm just making it clear WHEN YOU WANT TO GROUP, You will be able to get a group so long as you have a good guild that matches your play time and they have enough members to support multiple times of day.
    I mean... you and I aren't even in the same Guild, but if we wanted to play Ashes together, we could easily coordinate that several different ways.
    Chaliux wrote: »
    It's not, as long as the game provides good rewards, good progression and choices for solo gameplay without getting harmed from other players that destroy this progression and rewards.
    That's what Corruption is for.
  • My apologies I didn't see that one.

Be glad he doesn't choose to ignore You. :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • Chaliux wrote: »
    As you said new players coming in will have new players coming in to play with.....plus the added benefit of all the other players already there to play with.
    :D Sure, exactly this will happen. Low level players will group up with level 50 players.
    May I ask you how many (and which) MMO you've played so far?

Ummmmm

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mentor_program

So they created a system so that people couldn't get power leveled and then created a system that makes that pointless...Jesus this game is fucked.
  • @iccer I'm making a post on exactly what I think should be added.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As you said new players coming in will have new players coming in to play with.....plus the added benefit of all the other players already there to play with.
    :D Sure, exactly this will happen. Low level players will group up with level 50 players.

Ummmmm

So they created a system so that people couldn't get power leveled and then created a system that makes that pointless...Jesus this game is fucked.

No it allows you to go help your friends without taking all their xp because you have over leveled them.
    Don't think it will force delevel you though,but maybe.
    But power leveling is another thread
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • iccer wrote: »
    I'm just going to mention that world events and caravans will be group content, that's doable solo. You don't have to join a pre-made group, you can just run around, do the event, assist people around you, while playing alone. When it comes to Caravans specifically, there's a Highwayman system - read about it if you aren't aware of it. You will be rewarded for participating.
    It very much is content that's doable solo.

Here's the problem I have to wander into one, or wait in areas where I'm likely to find one. And you should look at the Highwayman systems it rewards defending caravans with better caravan gear which is useless for more solo oriented players. Which means I always want to be on the attacking side every single time since there will be no point in me defending since I will get basically nothing. So yes you "can" do this but spending 4 hours waiting for someone else to attack a caravan doesn't sound like fun to me.

Ummmmm

No it allows you to go help your friends without taking all their xp because you have over leveled them.
    Don't think it will force delevel you though, but maybe.

Then it doesn't help with grouping at all which means it has nothing to do with what we were talking about. Why bring it up then? Ill tell you because your critical thinking skill are null and void. When people say something negative you don't think at all about what they said you just react.

And it doesn't level scale at all. Its literally go do this. Its a way for players to guide other players in what to do.

Ummmmm

Then it doesn't help with grouping at all which means it has nothing to do with what we were talking about. Why bring it up then? Ill tell you because your critical thinking skill are null and void. When people say something negative you don't think at all about what they said you just react.

And it doesn't level scale at all. Its literally go do this. Its a way for players to guide other players in what to do.

What?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.

Ummmmm

What?

Ummmmm

What?

We were pointing out how people that come into the game 6 months after launch will have very few options for grouping due to the lower number of players that will be their level. Then you posted the mentor link like they would be grouped. Your not thinking or you just see something that you think is a good counter point. Take 5 minutes and think about what is being said.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yeah, mentoring systems don't help much, but players starting a game late having few people around their level is a constant thing in MMORPG's.

This is one of the reasons developers speed up leveling speed in most games post launch - they know there aren't many existing lower level players, they don't want to ask their existing players to operate at that level, so they make it faster in order to get new players straight to where the bulk of players are at.
    edited September 12
    You should look at the Highwayman systems. it rewards defending caravans with better caravan gear which is useless for more solo oriented players. Which means I always want to be on the attacking side every single time since there will be no point in me defending since I will get basically nothing. So yes you "can" do this but spending 4 hours waiting for someone else to attack a caravan doesn't sound like fun to me.
    Um... it does not say that the Highwayman system only rewards Defenders with better Caravan Gear.
    Soloers also can have Personal Caravans, which means Caravan Gear is not a useless reward.
    You could also donate Caravan Gear to allies so that you can all get better rewards upon completion of the Caravan mission.

Again, it is your own personal paranoia that has you believing Solo Caravan Defenders basically get nothing.
    Same for waiting 4 hours per day for a Caravan raid.
    If you have 4 hours to play, you have time to find several Groups and do a bunch of stuff - if you want to Group.
    There's also plenty of other stuff you can do Solo in 4 hours - especially with Social Orgs and Religions - besides just hunt for a Caravan.
    edited September 12

Um... Mr. Pot...
    How does the Mentorship Program not help with Grouping?

We were pointing out how people that come into the game 6 months after launch will have very few options for grouping due to the lower number of players that will be their level. Then you posted the mentor link like they would be grouped. You're not thinking or you just see something that you think is a good counter point. Take 5 minutes and think about what is being said.
    There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsPR_a2n5SM&t=2408s
  • Dygz wrote: »

Um... Mr. Pot...
    How does the Mentorship Program not help with Grouping?

We were pointing out how people that come into the game 6 months after launch will have very few options for grouping due to the lower number of players that will be their level. Then you posted the mentor link like they would be grouped. You're not thinking or you just see something that you think is a good counter point. Take 5 minutes and think about what is being said.
    There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsPR_a2n5SM&t=2408s

Again not thinking. People will be able to be power leveled which they said they don't want.
    edited September 12
    Again not thinking. People will be able to be power leveled which they said they don't want.
    Everything is subject to change.
    Who, exactly, is "they"?
    Where is the powerleveling dev quote?
    And, how will the Mentorship Program inherently cause powerleveling?
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Everything is subject to change.
    Who, exactly, is "they"?
    Where is the powerleveling dev quote?
    And, how will the Mentorship Program inherently cause powerleveling?

Because either the higher level player can help them which means they would be power leveling them or they wont be able to which means them grouping up is pointless and doesn't address the problem.

The devs said they will be implementing a system which prevents people gaining experience with players that are 10 or more levels above them to help prevent power leveling because they dont want people artificially lowering the leveling time. Cant find the quote but heres the wiki page.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling#Level_cap

5th bullet point under the Experience section.
    edited September 12
    Thanks for the link.
    I'm not sure what you mean by helping.

The Mentorship Program has specific Quests that Lowbies and Veterans can do together. It's not anything like powerleveling. It's not like haphazardly traveling to a high level Dungeon or a low level Dungeon and farming mobs.
    It's more like Veterans helping escort deliveries or participating together in Caravan Defense/Offense.
    The XP the Lowbie gains is from completing a Mentor Program Quest; not from killing mobs while Grouped with a Veteran.

The Mentorship Program provides individual Quests that can be initiated by the Mentor based off of what Node that they are part of. So these are like Quests that are determined by either certain buildings and/or organizations or the Mayor; and there are specific ones that are available for Mentors to provide Mentees; and they can also participate in some of those Quest lines as well: Whether that be leading your Mentee through a Dungeon or providing a location for them to arrive with you at, or escort Quests for the NPC Caravans. These types of things, when done together with your Mentor, will provide benefits both for the Mentor and the Mentee as well, so you're incentivized to participate with new players.
    ---Steven

Ummmmm

Available also in other MMOs... Not everybody will be a mentor, the ration between available mentors and available players is not equal.
    Do you know mentor programms from other MMOs? Which did you play so far?
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited September 12
    It is always a choice.
    No, that's wrong.
    If you chose to run around in a group the pvp aspect is still there.
    So no choice that there is no pvp aspect?
    Or if yes, how can the player by himself do this choice that he cannot be attacked? Which flag in the UI he can disable that there is no chance to get attacked at all? Would you please provide the source for your answer, probably I didn't see it on wiki or somehwere else. Because my state of information is, that the player has no choice that he cannot be attacked. If you wants to be attacked, he has a choice, it's called pvp-flag, combatant.
    If you chose to run around solo the pvp aspect is still there.
    So, non-combatant is no real choice then?
    Choice: I don't want to get attacked and play pvp for the next 2 hours during gathering fish.
    Game systems: Not possible. Game choice is: You still can be attacked, you have no choice.
    I just don't expect to get "meaningful" anything with out the risk and effort to get it.
    Why not? Why is reward something elisist and exclusive? We are still talking about a computer game or are we already in business on the job?

There seems to "plenty" of solo content (5 topics/clusters). Playing solo is the highest risk in the game. Is the reward the highest one than? The entire logic is wrong. IF non-combatant would be real non-combatant, than that would change a bit.
    What's the high risk of a 40 man raid running around and terminating all other players and small groups on their way? They get all the rewards/loot than, right?

Why does the ratio between Mentor and Mentee need to be equal?
    Some Mentors may have several Mentees. Some Mentees may have several Mentors.
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited September 12
    Dygz wrote: »
    Why does the ratio between Mentor and Mentee need to be equal?
    Some Mentors may have several Mentees. Some Mentees may have several Mentors.
    Because the amount of mentors usually is very low compared to the mentees which leads to an inefficient and at a certain point of time pointless system.
    You know mentor programs from other MMOs and experienced that? What will AoC do better here? Maybe you can explain it to us / me.
  • edited September 12
    Thanks for the link.
    I'm not sure what you mean by helping.

The Mentorship Program has specific Quests that Lowbies and Veterans can do together. It's not anything like powerleveling. It's not like haphazardly traveling to a high level Dungeon or a low level Dungeon and farming mobs.
    It's more like Veterans helping escort deliveries or participating together in Caravan Defense/Offense.
    The XP the Lowbie gains is from completing a Mentor Program Quest; not from killing mobs while Grouped with a Veteran.

The Mentorship Program provides individual Quests that can be initiated by the Mentor based off of what Node that they are part of. So these are like Quests that are determined by either certain buildings and/or organizations or the Mayor; and there are specific ones that are available for Mentors to provide Mentees; and they can also participate in some of those Quest lines as well: Whether that be leading your Mentee through a Dungeon or providing a location for them to arrive with you at, or escort Quests for the NPC Caravans. These types of things, when done together with your Mentor, will provide benefits both for the Mentor and the Mentee as well, so you're incentivized to participate with new players.
    ---Steven

What I mean by helping is people will need other people to group with early on to do things like dungeons and other activities. Those people will not have access to other people due to thier late arrival. This system doesn't assist in that because of the level disparity which will be present. Which means it's not relevant to the discussion.

Yes, but the problem is this system will be used mostly by people in guilds trying to level people, alts or new players, as fast as possible so they wont teach them anything they will just tell them what to do, ultimately defeating the purpose of the system.
    Mentors can easily find and Group with and help Mentees by doing Mentor Quests and other activities instead of Dungeons.
    Late arrival does not prevent newbies from having access to veteran player characters.
    Level disparity is irrelevant with regard to the Mentorship Program.

The claim that the Mentorship Program will mostly be used by Guilds trying to Level their own members or alts is merely your own pessimistic paranoia.
    Are you now complaining that Soloers need other players to teach them how to play?

The primary purpose of the Mentorship Program is to incentivize veteran player characters to interact with newbie player characters, so...
    Quests that provide rewards and benefits for veterans and newbies Grouping together does not defeat the purpose of the system. People can learn stuff from being told what to do.
    Because the amount of mentors usually is very low compared to the mentees which leads to an inefficient and at a certain point of time pointless system.
    You know mentor programs from other MMOs and experienced that? What will AoC do better here? Maybe you can explain it to us / me.
    Mentor Programs from other games are irrelevant.
    L2's "mentor system" had full guilds provide newbies with gear and some money, which helped a ton with leveling. All because the guild itself benefited from having mentees. Hell, you'd often see several mentee recruiters in starting locations, just so they could get themselves some newbies asap.

And the onboarding process had those newbies join a part of the guild, which was not subjected to the guild's wars, but was still a part of the chat, so any newbie could ask about the game, the guild, the gameplay, whatever.

And in my personaly experience I've gotten quite a lot of newbies into the guild proper once they were done with the mentorship, because they were cool people that were just newer to the game or to the server.

I believe Ashes could greatly benefit from a similar system, especially if they expand on L2's design.
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited September 13
    Mentor Programs from other games are irrelevant.
    No, because one learns out of experience - but you should take the experience from games that are popular and are actively played on the market (because they are fun and work).

• ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited September 13
    I believe Ashes could greatly benefit from a similar system, especially if they expand on L2's design.
    It remains strange to count on hope to designs based on a dead game.

It remains strange to count on hope to designs based on a dead game.
    And it remains even stranger that this is your only counter argument to anything that L2 players bring up on these forums. You cling to the magical "the game is dead", because you can't seem to argue against the proposed designs in any other way.

Except, if you think about it, WoW has lost way more millions of players than L2 ever did. So who's really the deader game here?