Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Logging of server events/API access

Kencha77Kencha77 Member
edited July 2020 in Support & FAQ
Will there be logging of server events or API to access those logs? I think it would be great resource to see how the world/server develops since the world is going to be rebuilt by the players, the world's history will going to be based from these developments. The timeline will be a great tool for players to learn the meta of the game but it can also be a great source of new type of contents.

Like for example, by using an in-game function (or website that uses AOC api) players will be able to narrate their stories about how those events transpired or new artisan class may also be created that will be responsible for documenting these stories.

edit:
Here is an idea that I posted years ago that is somewhat related with regards to the stories. What I was thinking before was for the intrepid studios to compile player shared stories from events in-game then make a series/movie out of those. But instead of only intrepid studios themselves, what if content creators can also create contents from these stories.

edit2:
I am talking about server/node related logs (node upgrades/downgrades, sieges, etc.) not combat logs. The community can log this stuffs manually but a tool provided by the game might be more reliable and can be useful for creating new type of contents in the future.

Comments

• That actually would be so cool.
  • Kencha77 wrote: »
    Will there be logging of server events or API to access those logs? I think it would be great resource to see how the world/server develops. Also having the main players responsible for those changes have the ability to share their stories can be a great read for the players or even outsiders.

That would actually be a very interesting feature maybe a staff member can give us more clarity on this.
  • I am more interested in client-side APIs for group combat logs, to create add-ons to measure DPS, Healing, and so on.
  • Peon501 wrote: »
    I am more interested in client-side APIs for group combat logs, to create add-ons to measure DPS, Healing, and so on.
    Steven is very against the idea of add-ons so those won't probably be allowed.
  • JorBenJorBen Member
    edited July 2020
    Kencha77 wrote: »
    Will there be logging of server events or API to access those logs? I think it would be great resource to see how the world/server develops. Also having the main players responsible for those changes have the ability to share their stories can be a great read for the players or even outsiders.

Are you suggesting a permanent log that records the event after the fact? Or more of a real-time combat log sort of thing that scrolls and records events as they happen? This doesn't really add to the discussion, I'm just curious.
  • JorBen wrote: »

Are you suggesting a permanent log that records the event after the fact? Or more of a real-time combat log sort of thing that scrolls and records events as they happen? This doesn't really add to the discussion, I'm just curious.

I am thinking mainly of node related events/records (upgrade, downgrade, previous mayors, etc.). The community may be able record these events manually but having the system provide these records is much more reliable. I don't have much of ideas of how these data will be used outside of an interactive timeline but considering that these is the first mmorpg with a dynamic world there should be other more interesting use cases.
  • NamilNamil Member
    I am thinking mainly of node related events/records (upgrade, downgrade, previous mayors, etc.). The community may be able record these events manually but having the system provide these records is much more reliable. I don't have much of ideas of how these data will be used outside of an interactive timeline but considering that these is the first mmorpg with a dynamic world there should be other more interesting use cases.

Sounds like a really interesting idea, maybe they could add logs and some sort of node recognition for players into the local reliquaries they were talking about in the interviews so it's more integrated per iteration of progression (So it would reset when the node is sieged/raided).

• Peon501 wrote: »
    I am more interested in client-side APIs for group combat logs, to create add-ons to measure DPS, Healing, and so on.

Definitely not. The beauty of RPG games is that you're looking at your character doing the things you want to do. Paying attention to your friends and enemies on-screen. In so many other MMO's, your eyes are fixed on the UI and windows. That's something that should be kept to a minimum in an RPG game.
  • BenjiroRyuuBenjiroRyuu Member
    edited July 2020
    Да вполне, думаю такой журнал будет по душе многим. Поиграл и историю происходящего почитал. Класс! Yes, quite, I think this magazine will appeal to many. I played and read the history of what was happening. Wow!
  • Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    Да вполне, думаю такой журнал будет по душе многим. Поиграл и историю происходящего почитал. Класс!

Pisi pa angliski :) BenjiroRyuu. Ni vsie panimajis pa ruski. Ja ciut ciut panimaju tibe pa cimu shto ja litovic.
    Da, eta charosaja ideya.

A vague translation would be:
    He likes that idea and I wrote that he should write in english.
    I responded yea its a good idea.
  • SkizSkiz Member
    Peon501 wrote: »
    Steven is very against the idea of add-ons so those won't probably be allowed.

If they are against addons for DPS, i'd like to see target dummies tho so we can calculate average dps ourselves...

Healing... i mean, if nobody dies its alright.
  • SikkeSikke Member
    I would suggest having access to data like that maybe in a monthly basis or annually, those could be streamed
    ObHAXye.png
  • cuttacutta Member
    Sounds really interesting, and would look forward to see how it'd be.
  • UlfUlf Member

Yeahh, no thanks. I love me some juicy data, but it tends to destroy the game. No Add-ons is the way to go.
    FOeRqtf.jpg
  • TuksTuks Member

this was answered in the last QA.. answer was: no
    no addons.. sorry buddy
  • sirstonsirston Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Logs might be dev use only for safety and security reasons maybe down the road later in the game they might give options, but nothing beats screenshots and memory's.
  • I'll take an unpopular stance and say that I'm against that.
    I honestly feel that DPS meters and logs has turned WoW to the worse. I think that they breed toxicity and essentially force everyone into cookie-cutter builds.
    I'm not saying that this doesn't happen without logs. But people tend to concentrate too much on those numbers.
  • SkizSkiz Member
    Even without a dmg meter people will use cookie cutter builds...
    if there is none, they will use target dummies
    if there are none, they will use one specific mob type and stop the time to calculate it themselves.
  • mmm pravchenski thinks scribing the going ons of verra as well as how those events affected the community would definetly be a very interesting subject to go over, one could say insightful, yes pravchenski agrees full heartedly. yes Skiz people tend to find ways around a lack of guaging damage adequately, prav agrees that people will make work around this complex issue, so i say with you too yes.

-pravchenski, screaming while covered in dune sand
    Pravchenski's Tavern and Brothel, Down your Booze like you down your Women, Bearded Dwarves in Drag!

-Pravchenski, yelling this at some twigs in sand, in a desert.
  • Drag13Drag13 Member
    I kind of like the idea of record keeper GMs that zip around the world keeping track of major events for the server and write a Verra Gazette for players to read. It would be super cool, we could all speculate on what to do next based on the news of Verra! I can dream, right :neutral:?
  • Isn't there a potential scribing profession which basically has writing down the server history as one of its core aspects?
    Check if out in the wiki if that's what you're talking about: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Scribes ?
    I swear, some of these forum threads should be renamed to "Hey Intrepid, can you guys just make a game like WoW, so that we have another WoW to play while waiting for an expansion in WoW?"
  • Overload wrote: »
    Isn't there a potential scribing profession which basically has writing down the server history as one of its core aspects?
    Check if out in the wiki if that's what you're talking about: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Scribes ?

Thanks for the answer. I assumed that scribes will only creates scrolls or something. Hopefully some streamers/content creators will have scribe as a profession.
  • Hi there! Looks like users above shared more details on the scribe profession, but another thing you all might want to check out further is the concept of the Library, which is one of the scientific node's unique buildings - it will contain a history of narrative events and when they occurred on the server!

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread out now, but please don't hesitate to reach back out if there's anything further we can assist you with on this topic!
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.