Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

*VIDEO* How Ashes of Creation Family Summon Fast Travel will be Exploited by Top Guilds

I made a video on how Guilds will very likely exploit this feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEeOmgwWSDo&feature=youtu.be

In a nutshell, even if you limit how many times a character can fast travel per day, top guilds will still require, and it will be meta for endgame, for you to have 8 accounts. So you will have 8 strong characters, and even if cooldown was 1 week, one of your characters can teleport to any of 7 locations you want every day.

In my experience every time you try to make a catch-up mechanic for casuals, the hardcore utilize the system far more prolifically and leave behind casuals even more than if the system didn't exist. XP pots, when they were proposed, the devs pitched them as so expensive only rich business execs would use them; we all know where that went.

Comments

• Options
    Hakurai also made a video about this subject. I agree that this feature, while I like the idea, in practice will ruin alot of what the game is going for.
  • Options
    any way to keep this feature without any issues?
  • Options
    Okay I've played a lot of MMOS of evers sub or subscription type.

Honestly it sounds pretty silly to me saying too guilds will require people to have 8 accounts.

There are people who will do it and maybe small groups that will but I don't soo it being done on that type of scale.

It won't make enough of a difference in the game to matter much and I'd trade it just to not have to wait on my wife to travel to where I am once she gets on if I'm not running both already that is.
  • Options
    WMC51 wrote: »

Honestly it sounds pretty silly to me saying too guilds will require people to have 8 accounts.

There are people who will do it and maybe small groups that will but I don't soo it being done on that type of scale.

It won't make enough of a difference in the game to matter much and I'd trade it just to not have to wait on my wife to travel to where I am once she gets on if I'm not running both already that is.

They wouldn't need 8 accounts just 8 characters on an account. Park alts in locations that are farmable. They have all guild members be family of mixing and matching of accounts so that everyone is able to get to some one on the guild and eventually you can teleport everyone to the requested area instantly.
  • Options
    Ruined, well you will have to have 2 separate accounts logged in to summon. So you will need multiple accounts.
  • Options
    vhbenin wrote: »
    any way to keep this feature without any issues?

Well you can limit the account that is summoning to only be able to summon one person once a week, and limit the person getting summoned to only be able to get summoned once per week. This would give you very limited mobility since only one particular character (not any character) can get summoned to one particular spot (not any spot) per day. But with that sort of limitation, then casuals don't benefit really either.
  • Options
    I think better arguments would be things to change and or limit it.

You can only summon as many family members as there are already at the location.

The family shares a summon cool down instead of each player.

I believe they are already limiting what goods you can have on you when summoned.
  • Options
    NatureHackerNatureHacker Member
    edited August 2020
    I think better arguments would be things to change and or limit it.

You can only summon as many family members as there are already at the location.

The family shares a summon cool down instead of each player.

I believe they are already limiting what goods you can have on you when summoned.

This is a good idea, especially the bolded part. But to really prevent exploitation still the entire family could only summon one person once per day. Otherwise you will still have the "pull the whole guild" thing going on once a day if the cooldown is 24 hours. To pull the whole guild you will have say 8 characters from the guild at each point of interest and they all log on at the same time and pull their whole family, meaning 64 characters will show up instantly. Even if you require 4 people from each family to pull 4 others, you would have say 32 characters logged out at a location, they can log in when needed and pull the other 32. Better, but things will still happen like that.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree with your concern. I will also like to say that it is particularly easy to get up and running with the exploit because there is no box fee for the game. Which is good. I am beyond thankful for that. It does however make it more easy to get your own family going.

Personally I would like there to be no teleportation at all. Boats and mounts only.

Casuals are just hardcore players who have not been motivated properly yet.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

In a nutshell, even if you limit how many times a character can fast travel per day, top guilds will still require, and it will be meta for endgame, for you to have 8 accounts. So you will have 8 strong characters, and even if cooldown was 1 week, one of your characters can teleport to any of 7 locations you want every day.

If the characters are strong, did you really need to teleport there? If not, then you didn't gain an advantage by teleporting. Even if you did gain an advantage by teleporting, you moved for one event or dungeon or whatever and are presumably in the middle of nowhere that is probably far from where you need to be next. If your character has to wait a long time such as 12 hours before being summoned again, then your abuse system won't work.

To be fair, we haven't been told that the cool down will be on the summoned character but we have been told there will be a lot of testing and reworking the ability is on the table. I think that a character being summoned once per 12 hours has a good chance of being there.

Multi-boxing does require more than one computer. The cost of running 8 accounts is the $120 that you referenced plus an additional computer. And everyone in the guild has to be running this. Isn't there a problem in that the most successful at MMO's have no life, yet work is required to have money to pay for all of this. Are there really so many people with no life and tons of disposable income laying around to burn on a video game? I never knew that the qualification to be in a top guild was also to first be rich.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface#Multi-boxing

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The cooldown being considered is both on the caster, and on the person being summoned.

This will mean that if an alt summons you somewhere, your other alts won't be able to summon you until the cooldown you have on your main has run out.
  • Options
    How about this. The whole family gets one summon a month. It has to be on a full moon, and they have to both be facing true north. All eight family members have to be logged on. When the teleport happens the two doing the teleport trade places. The other 6 family members die and have a 16 hour respawn timer.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    The cooldown being considered is both on the caster, and on the person being summoned.

This will mean that if an alt summons you somewhere, your other alts won't be able to summon you until the cooldown you have on your main has run out.

I couldn't find a source on that, but if correct you won't be summoning to 7 different places in a row.

However, I realized something else. Since you can't have materials in your inventory while being summoned you won't be able to take a main part of the potential loot from a high end event with you even if you can be summoned afterward.

Refresher: Gold drops will be uncommon as animals don't carry gold, gear will be relatively uncommon to drop, and mats are intended to be the main loot.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    "Are there really so many people with no life and tons of disposable income laying around to burn on a video game? I never knew that the qualification to be in a top guild was also to first be rich."

Yes, at least the ones I have played. Hardcore players usually have money to spend, and casual's usually don't. This is sort of the opposite that F2P was expecting when they started P2W mechanics. But it makes sense, those that have money will be able to play the game at a high level, partly because they have money and also because they are older. For anyone that works, 100 a month is doable, that is like ordering Grubhub 5x a month. But then again many don't seem to work yet can afford anything they want in game.

"If the characters are strong, did you really need to teleport there? If not, then you didn't gain an advantage by teleporting."

That is a good point. So setting cooldown based on character or even better account of the person getting summoned, would probably be good enough to prevent exploitation. A few may still try it by having 8 accounts with one of each class so they can basically get whatever class to the raid they want, but at that level I don't think any guild would mandate that. There are always a few that go above and beyond.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Noaani wrote: »

As long as both, on the summoner and on the summoned are 1 week each ; then it should be fine. Assuming you can only summon one person per cooldown. If the cooldowns were 12-24 hours that would mean those that have 8 accounts will get a free port to wherever they want to go, daily. To me, in the case of 12-24 hour cooldowns, guilds will exploit that.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    To me, in the case of 12-24 hour cooldowns, guilds will exploit that.
    Yes, they will.

There is no version of this that won't be exploited - but at least the expliot isn't as bad as you originally thought.

I don't really see guilds requiring players to have their own alt accounts either though. It is perfectly possible to get the same effect (with potentially more location options) via juggling alts in and out of families on only a handful of additional accounts. It will mean you can't port quite as often due to the timer for joining a new family, but a guild doing this would only need to port for contested top end PvE encounters, and that is unlikely to be more than once per day.

I'm not a huge fan of the summons in general, as any version of it will be exploitable.
  • Options
    I hate this but... One of my friends or myself will cave. Then we will all be doing it.

My friend once paid to boost three characters to make a new wow arena team. One from himself, Me, and another friend. 60$ a pop at the time back in WoD I think. Then the next day. He was like: "We should all have cool similar names". Pays for 3 name changes. I think they were like 10 or 15$ at the time. Same day, he is reading the fourms. "Let's move servers to Tichondrius", Another 25-30$ a pop. So were talking around 300$ now. We could not talk him out of it. The amount of time it takes him to make 300$ is not the same as that amount of time it takes for the three of us to roll new toons from level one.

Recently in Darkfall:New Dawn. I had a second account that could make another races mounts. Just to sell them because people liked bear mounts over dumb pigs. There was no reason not to. I was wasting in game money to not have my laptop farming bear mounts on the side.

Point is. I can't promise that myself or my friends will not take full advantage of any system that allows us to throw some cash at the game to gain a advantage. I hate it, but I am just being honest. We may resist the temptation for a time, but one of use will cave. If we know other people are doing it. We will cave faster.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Very easy to solution that, just give a week CD for the player who gonna be teleported, the top guilds still gonna use the teleport abuse but now with a very conditional restrictions, they will really need be smart when they use the tp cuz even if they contest the PvP event all the other guilds will gonna have a entire open window do try another stuff without the same guild contesting.
  • Options
    No offense, but hasn't this subject been beaten to death now? Like Steven has answered, they won't let it be exploited like you say, and lets first try it out in the Alpha/Beta.

Unlike many other aspects of the game, this is a very easily fixed/changed aspect, that they can change right before release. I don't see why this has to be discussed several years away from launch, when we haven't even seen finished aspects of combat and other very important parts.
  • Options
    Atiqa wrote: »
    No offense, but hasn't this subject been beaten to death now? Like Steven has answered, they won't let it be exploited like you say, and lets first try it out in the Alpha/Beta.

Unlike many other aspects of the game, this is a very easily fixed/changed aspect, that they can change right before release. I don't see why this has to be discussed several years away from launch, when we haven't even seen finished aspects of combat and other very important parts.

Facts
  • Options
    GrimmLibertyGrimmLiberty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Didn't watch this video. I have seen at least half a dozen so far. They all make the same fallacious arguments.

At least one is incorrect, because you cannot be summoned with inventory items. Then around half the arguments are actually the same at the base, i.e. not "additional" arguments. And those are countered by the families being being able to pop in and attack people argument. Imagination is a wondrous beast that fear makes look larger.

I DO however, think that it should be limited to once daily, summoner or summoned. You make your choice once a day and live with it.
  • Options
    Still this will create a summoning meta where people will be selling their 1 per day summons. I think that this is overall a negative thing for the game. Otherwise prepare for public channel spam "WTS summon to /*place*/ for x gold"
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    The one thing I do like is on the wiki page it's indicated that Summoning will be tested during Alpha. I really hope this means testing the functionality as a whole and not whether or not it is working as intended.
  • Options
    There's no way that players won't find a way to exploit this while still making it convenient and useful for casuals. Just let friends have to coordinate with each other to meet up. Not having it in the game encourages socialization about logistics, and keeps ingame distance relevant.
  • Options
    Tragnar wrote: »
    Still this will create a summoning meta where people will be selling their 1 per day summons. I think that this is overall a negative thing for the game. Otherwise prepare for public channel spam "WTS summon to /*place*/ for x gold"

Think you're misunderstanding how this will work (or rather how it is said to work right now).

You can only summon someone in your family, which is 7 other players. You can only be in one family at a time, and there's a cooldown in the matter of days if you want to change family.

So you can't sell summons in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    I really don't understand why everyone is so concerned about people having multiple accounts? If guilds are going to require their members to spend $1,500/yr in sub services for 1 game good for the developers IMO and anyone lacking the mental fortitude to say no to any guild requiring that is just a sheep that likely won't contribute any meaningfulness to PVP so I welcome it.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

In my experience every time you try to make a catch-up mechanic for casuals, the hardcore utilize the system far more prolifically and leave behind casuals even more than if the system didn't exist. XP pots, when they were proposed, the devs pitched them as so expensive only rich business execs would use them; we all know where that went.

That will be a very small guild that requires 8 account's Good luck finding many members willing to do that!
  • Options
    SussurroSussurro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    I'd rather have the teleports than not. Whatever caveats to make that happen whether it be limiting the number of teleports for a family and having a weekly reset, and/or prohibiting the teleports beyond a certain level - "This creature is too powerful to summon." et cetera; I want an accessible way for new players to be guided by us. I would disregard every QoL feature if I could only pick this one.

Decades of MMO experience have informed me that a motivated guild, a motivated player, will exploit any advantage. There was a guild in WoW that converted to the opposing faction and switched their entire raid roster over to a particular race simply because it had a skill that allowed them to avoid a boss mechanic - this is an example from recent memory. I absolutely endorse keeping these wackos in check when considering how a feature may be implemented, but I understand they'll inevitably eke out an advantage somehow.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett, Reaper Man
  • Options
    HellfarHellfar Member
    edited August 2020
    This is a bit extreme. We're talking about the 1% of the 1% here that would utilize 8 accounts. I really don't see the impact being large here, unless the Alpha players can prove this is exploitable from an economic and guild/node war perspective and provide evidence this will destabilize a server. It's easy to theorycraft this but evidence will tell the story.
  • Options
    Ruinred wrote: »

They wouldn't need 8 accounts just 8 characters on an account. Park alts in locations that are farmable. They have all guild members be family of mixing and matching of accounts so that everyone is able to get to some one on the guild and eventually you can teleport everyone to the requested area instantly.

farmable locations run out
This discussion has been closed.