Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wielding unwieldy weapons

RoschamboRoschambo Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
My favorite character of all time is Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. His ability to wield a 1-H sword and 2-H stave is amazing and was magnified by the movies and the games. I have been trying to re-create that style of combat in every game since, to no avail.

So if I put enough skill points into my weapon, can I wield a stave and sword together?

What other weapon combinations would you all like to see?

Comments

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dual-wielding is only permitted for one-handed weapons, sorry. Staves are two-handed weapons.

And before anyone brings it up, dual-wielding shields has been ruled out as well.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    That's sad to hear. It would make me a lifetime player for sure. I've heard that we'll be able to change weapons in combat. Depending on the time to change weapons it might make it worth it. I love everything I'm seeing in AoC. So, I'll be playing either way.
  • Options
    AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, its not difficult to make that happen, its just very time-intensive to program and balance that. For example the new Baldurs Gate 3 uses D&D rules. In the game some weapons like the long sword can be used with one hand or with two. With two hands you make a little bit more damage. But baldurs gate doesnt allow two long swords as far as i know, only a long sword and a shield.
    But lets be real, everything can be programmed, its only a matter of time and if you really want to try to balance that. I think they will have enough to do with all the classes and the other augmentations to not try something like that at his time.
  • Options
    I always do this exact thing in Dark Souls games, and eventually it always hits a brick wall with my limited skill at those games. Still though, feels incredible to sword and staff around a dark fantasy world.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    And before anyone brings it up, dual-wielding shields has been ruled out as well.

What abou........ Nyaaaaaaawwww crap... :(

:p:D

;)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Roschambo wrote: »
    So if I put enough skill points into my weapon, can I wield a stave and sword together?

Maybe you can ask for a four-armed Tulnar race? Four arms = Four hands, and four hands can easily hold a 1H sword and a 2H staff, with one left to spare!
  • Options
    Then we need centipedes
  • Options
    Amma wrote: »
    Then we need centipedes

Whirlwind Spin Attack with a sword in each hand = WIN
  • Options
    Dual-wielding is only permitted for one-handed weapons, sorry. Staves are two-handed weapons.

I mean, WoW introduced 2-handed dual-wielding for Fury warriors in Wrath of the Lich King. So, anything is possible, depending on the augments that are made available. I personally would like to see this as well, as it would give a more unique feel to the classes involved.
  • Options
    Well in dnd a quarterstaff is a versatile weapon and can be wielded either with 1h or 2h.

Just make staffs versatile. Could get some interesting combos.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    How about: Short Staff is 1H, Long Staff is 2H. Then, you can take your pick!
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tbh, we will be able to wield spears one handedly with a shield in the off hand. I see no problem with dual wielding a staff and sword at the same time.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hellfar wrote: »

I mean, WoW introduced 2-handed dual-wielding for Fury warriors in Wrath of the Lich King. So, anything is possible, depending on the augments that are made available. I personally would like to see this as well, as it would give a more unique feel to the classes involved.
    I'm going by what the developers of Ashes of Creation have publicly said, which I think is a slightly better indicator than what someone once did in an unrelated MMO. Just saying.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Sov54Sov54 Member
    edited October 2020
    Dunno, but in some games there are wands and offhands with short staff skins, maybe your hopes should be there!
  • Options
    ThreatherThreather Member
    edited October 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Roschambo wrote: »

Maybe you can ask for a four-armed Tulnar race? Four arms = Four hands, and four hands can easily hold a 1H sword and a 2H staff, with one left to spare!

Sounds like Torgal from The Last Remnant:
    https://lastremnant.fandom.com/wiki/Torgal
  • Options
    Sov54 wrote: »
    Dunno, but in some games there are wands and offhands with short staff skins, maybe your hopes should be there!

I would find that acceptable if I could look the part at least.
  • Options
    (Seeing the thread drifting towards 1H / 2H direction)
    What about the technically "one and a half handed" Japanese katanas? (They are often weird-sized blades that can be wielded sometimes~ 1H and sometimes~ 2H, depending on the strike you're performing)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    What about the technically "one and a half handed" Japanese katanas? (They are often weird-sized blades that can be wielded sometimes~ 1H and sometimes~ 2H, depending on the strike you're performing)

Most of the longswords could be wield with one or two hands back then.
    Bastard-swords existed too. Where do you thing they have their name from? Its a "bastard" of a shortsword and a longsword. These were called from some people "one and a half hander". So europe had that too, and after that most rpgs had, but in most of the games bastardswords are mostly onehander.
  • Options

If you let me dual-wield katanas, I'll love you forever...
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack

Not allowing 'katana' dw for the sake of realism is extreme and would hurt the game.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2020

Not allowing 'katana' dw for the sake of realism is extreme and would hurt the game.

Isn't this the part where cosmetics will play a role?

If not, orc weebs will most likely have a one handed version of a katana.

5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    Everyone else: *talks about dual wielding katanas*
    Me (an intellectual): "If we can wield a spear and a shield at the same time, can we then dual wield spears?"

DnteBWoU0AA1dRT.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Me (an intellectual): "If we can wield a spear and a shield at the same time, can we then dual wield spears?"

DnteBWoU0AA1dRT.jpg

Hehe, that sure sounds impractical! I wonder if anyone's ever tried it in RL.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    With the way Ashes weapon skills are being set up, I don't see any reason why they couldn't make staves both one and two handed weapons, and have a separate skills for each - or even just a specific line within the same skill tree.

Obviously they wouldn't be as powerful in one hand as they are in two, but that then allows players to opt to use a staff and sword, or even a staff and shield if they want to.

It would mean a little more to balance, but I can't see any reason it couldn't be done.
  • Options

DnteBWoU0AA1dRT.jpg

I checked youtube and got an old Chinese king fu video that shows a guy twirling around with knives taped to batons.
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

DnteBWoU0AA1dRT.jpg

I checked youtube and got an old Chinese king fu video that shows a guy twirling around with knives taped to batons.

Were they biiiiiig loooooong spear-length batons?!
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

DnteBWoU0AA1dRT.jpg

Were they biiiiiig loooooong spear-length batons?!

No
  • Options

DnteBWoU0AA1dRT.jpg

I would think that it would be as good as dual wielding katanas.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd like it if they gave this subject the DnD treatment. Allow duel wielding with staves, but at a lowered damage potential, (utilizing it as a one handed weapon) and a higher damage potential if you don't dual wield.