Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

No Transmogs!

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think it would be awesome if u could turn off cosmetics/transmogs from options.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven doesn't.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sounds like risk vs reward to me.
    It's not the 1950's anymore. The biggest strongest guy on the field is not always the one to fear.
    Knowledge and skill trumps straight up strength.
    Personally I am against any kind of hints.
    Is they guy your about to jump a level 10 in transmog gear or 50 in top end gear.
    Roll the dice and find out.

As others have said at first having the top gear in a game and showing it off is a cool flex on those that don't have it. But after a while everyone looks the same and it gets boring.

Was one of my biggest issues with WoW couple of expansions back. You get the really cool one of a kind named weapon. Then turn the corner and a hundred other people have the exact same weapon and everyone looks exactly a like.

I have always been a fan of the mystery of not knowing everything about your enemy.
    The whole "F around and find out" thing.
    My preference is for people to only see two things about me. My name, and my health bar.
    Not my HP number. Just the bar.

When you fight someone you can identify their class by how they move and their skills. After one or two hits, you will get a feel for their relative power based on how their HP bar moves.

This is way more interesting and would actually prevent more fights than the corruption system ever could.

I feel like any argument against Transmog based on identifying relative power in PVP is a argument for wanting to play like a coward and only attack weaker targets.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I feel like any argument against Transmog based on identifying relative power in PVP is a argument for wanting to play like a coward and only attack weaker targets.
    It's a focus more on the combat gaming than on the RP.
    But, again, in a high fantasy/high magic RPG setting filled with thousands of high level characters, there should be no surprise that lots of those people will be using fairly powerful illusions.
    Just as we would expect a high tech setting to include most people to have access to some form of telephony.
    Back in Vanilla EQ people would say that the ability to chat across vast distances breaks immersion for a fantasy setting, but for a high magic setting, it's possible that everyone has access to some form of scrying that allows distant communication.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's a focus more on the combat gaming than on the RP.
    But, again, in a high fantasy/high magic RPG setting filled with thousands of high level characters, there should be no surprise that lots of those people will be using fairly powerful illusions.

Agreed, I think?
    Just as we would expect a high tech setting to include most people to have access to some form of telephony.
    Back in Vanilla EQ people would say that the ability to chat across vast distances breaks immersion for a fantasy setting, but for a high magic setting, it's possible that everyone has access to some form of scrying that allows distant communication.

FFXI had the link pearls for long distance Telephony. If I remember correctly the pearls get put in your ear? The fact that they explained guild chat with a in game item has always impressed me. You could unequip it to shut up your guild. I am sure the immersion lads on here love that shit. I just thought it was annoying because it used a inventory slot. I did not use them often because of the inventory slot thing. One slot inventory was a lot in FFXI!
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    (Yes. I think we agree.)
  • Options
    YozhuraYozhura Member
    I wonder how the transmog system will work. WoW has a pretty good transmog system where every gear you collect can be used as transmog. Would love to see a system similar to that. Would love to mix different sets to create a unique look for my character.
  • Options
    I'd be happy if the Transmog was serverely limited so it only applied to gear of the same tier and the same rarity. So you can't turn garbage weapons into legendary skinned stuff and vice versa.

I do like looking at someone to some degree and being able to tell what level of gear they have on. At the same time I don't like leaving it up to the developers to choose what everything I wear looks like either. I believe my idea is a good middle ground that can make everyone happy.

I personally dislike transmog that has absolutely no limitations other than type though.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm automatically disagreeing with the post. I don't want to be forced into being a visual clone of other players. I want to look unique and not be a gear clone like many mmos do.
    Never understood why people are so anti tmog. Sure ppl might exploit this, but in the end, it changes nothing. Visual appearance is part of mmos now and give extra fun for customization, especially if you might not enjoy main gear appearance.
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member
    I think it's funny folks are talking about being able to size up opponents like it's a fair fight. There's plenty of history where people disguised or hid their weapons and gear to have an advantage on the other. The fact is, pvp should always be treated as high risk, high reward, exactly because of this primary reason. You want to fight to the death knowing the facts in front of you? That's the choice you take.
  • Options
    RivalzsRivalzs Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don’t get how people think transmog is cheating in pvp. How is it cheating?
  • Options
    Rivalzs wrote: »
    I don’t get how people think transmog is cheating in pvp. How is it cheating?

The main points I see are along these lines:
    1. Transmogs make it hard to quickly identify your targets class and playstyle.
    2. Transmogs mask relative power making it hard to determine if you should run or fight.

I don't ever see points that are much different then those two general ideas. Unless I am forgetting something.

To me both points are easily dispelled. You can learn everything you need to know about your opponent very quickly by paying attention. To me this is fair so long as you both go in with the same disadvantage of not knowing anything about the other player.

Not seeing other players health number, level, class or gear to me is exactly what you would want in a game that focuses on open world PvP. A level 1 guy in a cash shop transmog could bluff his way around a area and actually be slightly more protected than he would otherwise be.

I said it before in this thread, but it is worth repeating to me. If you want to know your targets Health number, Relative gear power, level, class, ect. You want to play like a coward. You are looking for match ups where you have a unfair advantage, and you want to make the first move in those match ups. I prefer the poker style open world PvP, where you only learn your opponents hand as he shows it to you.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    rayleghraylegh Member
    Zeshio wrote: »
    I think it's funny folks are talking about being able to size up opponents like it's a fair fight. There's plenty of history where people disguised or hid their weapons and gear to have an advantage on the other. The fact is, pvp should always be treated as high risk, high reward, exactly because of this primary reason. You want to fight to the death knowing the facts in front of you? That's the choice you take.
    Big true.

I don't see the problem. In real life you also don't know if someone is this or that. And sometimes looks are deceiving. I think that is an important component that can make PvP really interesting and alive.
  • Options
    I like the aspect of seeing other peoples gear and recognizing different pieces. Going to city and seeing someone in sick gear and asking for how he got there or seeing someones gear and figuring put hes running un full evasion.
    For me seeing real equipped gear adds to immersion.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    I just like seeing what other player characters choose to show. Illusion or reality.
    Especially if it tells a story and has a theme - other than, "I don't care, I'm just wearing the most uber stuff I can find."

You can ask people how they got their gear and listen to their stories regardless, but...
    We will be able to recognize the difference between cosmetics and gear from dungeons/raids, etc.
    So, you can still ask for the details of the actual dungeon/raid experiences.
    You might also be asking for battle details for the cosmetics dropped from Monster Coin attacks.
  • Options
    I recognize that in PvP having the character appear in a tux, and be wearing full plate might be a much, so perhaps in engaged in a PvP duel, players can toggle "show armor" or something? In a siege, I will probably be looking at the whole area and not trying to discern individual players. Too chaotic for that.

In reality, I want to portray my Tulnar Barbarian Dreadnought like the berserker he is, leather straps and bare chested, but still be able to actually survive in a raid.
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    The skin you can apply to a Heavy armor, must be heavy armor too. That's what they've said, so you can't appear to have some cloth straps and in reality have the last heavy plate armor in the game all sparkling and shit. In my opinion I would prefer no transmogs tho.. but it's not that bad for me.

I hope they are really diligent in that.
  • Options
    Tuxedo Mask!!!
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    All the hubbabaloo about cosmetics and the final product will end up being a fair approach to todays clusterfuck of the mmorpg genre. Bring on the transmogs. I'll roll the dice every time @bloodprophet : ).
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Tuxedo Mask!!!

I really really want masks in ashes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Khronus wrote: »
    All the hubbabaloo about cosmetics and the final product will end up being a fair approach to todays clusterfuck of the mmorpg genre. Bring on the transmogs. I'll roll the dice every time @bloodprophet : ).

Now we are talking fun.

"Let's introduce a little chaos in to your life."
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I'm just against turning the first wooden sword you find in the game into Doom Bringer, The End of Creation. xD The opposite is also just as stupid.

I'm not against it, but not having any rules for it at all isn't fun.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Even if they get rid of transmog/glamour/dyes/etc..... people are still gonna use cosmetic gear and the OPs concern about their gear appearing unrepresentative of their power level is realized anyways.

IMO the endgame becomes all about displaying and customizing your character in an RPG.
    If someone's running around in the super duper PVP only armor set... you'll know to probably not attack them.
    You can also look for other signs.... did he just 3 shot that mob that takes you 25 seconds to drop? Probably a power difference there.
  • Options
    rayleghraylegh Member
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I'm just against turning the first wooden sword you find in the game into Doom Bringer, The End of Creation. xD The opposite is also just as stupid.

I'm not against it, but not having any rules for it at all isn't fun.

I can agree that you have to pay in some way to use transmogs and not abuse the system. Or make a rule system to use properly the transmog system.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just give the option for people to hide transmogs that way everyone wins
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I often dislike the over the top skins on end game items. I do often select a more simplistic skin and cover the armour or weapons I dislike. I don't see an issue with this method. If you could disable the transmogs I'm fine with that but I would rather have no restrictions on the transmogs if they can be disabled by players.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif