Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Kaelar Race - Feb 2022

Comments

• Options
    Basic human. Vanilla MMO people will love it. Needs a bit more booty and bit more tone to the legs imho, but a great base
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member
    edited February 2022
    A ripped looking hombre. I usually don't play humans because they don't have much character.

But it doesn't have to be that way!

I would love to play a human as an emaciated old necromancer who is so dedicated to my craft that I have little time for frivolities like eating. Or as a fat merchant guy with beady eyes and twirly mustaches.

Can we please have options to simmer down the rippedness? and other options to add/remove a little girth too! plus some aging options (aside from the standard white hair and wrinkles on my toned 45.5 inch chest).

Intrepid please make it so!
  • Options
    SocialSatyrSocialSatyr Member, Founder
    Kaelar race seems to be coming along well, IMO.

I am curious though as to why the Vaelune don't have their own feedback thread? is this meant to be a review of only the 3d model and texturing work that will be shared by both the Kaelar and the Vaelune (or will these races have separate assets/sculpts for facial features and bodily proportions)?
  • Options
    dakotarobodakotarobo Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    While not a human player myself, I feel it's super important to nail the look and feel of them in games. The proportions are great, the textures are amazing and the Kaelar have the potential (scars, laugh lines, facial defects, and facial hair) to range from pretty to gruff. Good work!
  • Options
    they look good ... im curious how they will look when people get ahold of them with customization xD
    pzzzk4y2nv58.png
  • Options
    WarPotatoWarPotato Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perfect. It looks like a human.
  • Options
    Humans are humans 7.5/10 :)
    - Proportions seems great
    - hair and texturing great
    - Eyes area seems flat/shallow and a little lifeless

Art direction for humans unavoidably lacks high intrigue due to familiarity, however the KEY I feel is to lean into a far broader variety in the details and accessories more than any other race.
  • Options
    Please allow for much smoother skin texture options for those that might prefer slightly stylized appearances, one of my biggest issues with realism styled games is how restrictive they are with skin textures. Often they are incredibly low appeal. Some people have great skin in reality, not everyone is gritty and full of extreme texture and visible pores.

On the opposite end of this allow for heavily wrinkled and hollow cheeks etc for people who want to look aged and withered. There can be many options here ^^

The eyes look a bit vacant, dry and lifeless with too much white of the eye, not wet and reflective, and the skin tone could use more life to it, it has a bit of a chalky flatness. There's hyper realism details here, but no real shine of healthy skin on a living being.

Different body muscular structures would be appreciated if that is planned, not just one type, the muscles on the abs don't look correctly referenced either, they look a bit like a very straight grid of squares, abs are a little more irregular in shape.

The hair looks good, lots of detail and a bit of shine, eyebrows seem a little off however? They might just be a bit too solid and could be broken up more to show the skin through them. Many eyebrow options would be appreciated :D
  • Options
    AzhreiAzhrei Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So, a little of this is going to be almost copy/paste for each race.

The detail from UE5 is mind boggling. It really adds just so much depth and intricacy to each race in AoC.

I like the depth that the race shows, it is not leaning too much one way and allows for the creation of a heroic character.
  • Options
    BotBot Member
    edited February 2022
    This is the only race I'm interested in and I think the art direction is fine of just being a generic human being. My only concerns is whether or not the game will feature legitimate ethnic hairstyles and facial features. Especially more modern hairstyles such as various dreads, braids, and natural hairstyles for black people. My avatar is an example of hair that I have irl that I would love to actually be able to use in an MMORPG. The MMORPG genre is typically awful when it comes to hairstyles that aren't primarily European/Asian centric. At most black players get a large old school afro, being bald, and a buzz cut.
  • Options
    This model's legs don't appear to be as impressive as its torso. Skin pigmentation is ok. Great work on the facial stubble.
  • Options
    Looks fine for a human.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bot wrote: »
    This is the only race I'm interested in and I think the art direction is fine of just being a generic human being. My only concerns is whether or not the game will feature legitimate ethnic hairstyles and facial features. Especially more modern hairstyles such as various dreads, braids, and natural hairstyles for black people. My avatar is an example of hair that I have irl that I would love to actually be able to use in an MMORPG. The MMORPG genre is typically awful when it comes to hairstyles that aren't primarily European/Asian centric. At most black players get a large old school afro, being bald, and a buzz cut.

Just a note here: The Kaelar are specifically designed to be european style. The Vaelune humans are specifically designed to be middle eastern.
  • Options
    Human is the most likely race I'll play and it is coming along fantastic! I think being able to do some weird and wonderful customisation of the eyes and hair is where the character really becomes unique.
    Predefined hair is always such a let down and only a few option for eyes (included odd colours) always rubs salt in.
    Otherwise, it's progressing well and it just looks so damn good in textures.
  • Options
    I've passed this guy on the street once if I knew he was going to be one of the main races in my favourite mmo I would've asked him for autograph 😆 he looks very sexy 😉
  • Options
    Awesome job! Just looking forward to crazy amount of customization options. :smile:
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options

Unfortunately the human race is strictly made to resemble Europeans and middle Easterners. I think it should be possible to create various ethnic hairstyles and facisl pgenotypes by choosing a humanoid Tulnar
  • Options
    234Graph wrote: »

Unfortunately the human race is strictly made to resemble Europeans and middle Easterners. I think it should be possible to create various ethnic hairstyles and facisl pgenotypes by choosing a humanoid Tulnar

We haven't seen all the customisation options yet. Let's give them a chance, shall we?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    As for art direction for the Kaelar, I hope we get the option to diverge from the somewhat fit and hairless western European look we have seen so far. North, south, east, west. With or without body hair. Not only really fit body types.

Xi7RFtA.jpg
    NZdvf9j.jpg
    VE4Z3AM.jpg
    Bcrx9Lg.jpg
  • Options
    I will initiate with saying that I am happy to see the detail of the other new race models in this human! This absolutely should have been on stream and you would have got an even more positive response :)

With that said, lets move on:

Pros:

Facial features, stubble look great. The hair and overall detail looks good to me.

Cons:

One of the other posts in this thread got me thinking - and I think that given humans are like the base model, the most common across games this is where in principle we really could have the most variety. To give examples, right now we have a very western fairy tale prince-looking model. He looks very much like a cliqued hero!

What I would like to see more of (and again as i've posted on all the threads, I fully expect there to be variety and we are only seeing one model but we can only judge on what we can see) - is the true range available. So these kind of characters to me should be human options:

- Plump person! We need the option to drop that muscle and thrown on the flab a bit. Perhaps a wizard that was gifted in their talents but not so on their dedication to their body and as such has the physique to match that.

- Thikk yet muscly. Could we have a build which isn't AS stocky as the Orcs, but allows us to attain the kind of composition where the body mass is a bit bulkier, but can still hold some muscle? Think high muscle, high body fat. And Other kind of mix/matches. I like to think also of a God of War Protagonist-esque build. Muscley Viking type. I guess we won't go overly norse/scandinavian but hopefully a bit more flexibility overall will do some good.

• Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »
    As for art direction for the Kaelar

And the female versions now, too! Let's not be sexist.....

Perhaps once we get the female models too, to compare to. To quench your thirst I guess I can suggest they model one after the greatest british babe of all time:
    gqsv4sK.jpg
  • Options
    Looking good in my opinion. No change needed, hope the customization will be dope.
  • Options
    This guys legs do not match the upper body. It looks like he only works out from the waist up, or like someone stuck a Ken dolls legs on a super hero waist. Where are his thighs? It also looks like he may have Botox in his forehead. I'm assuming the character creator may let us adjust all these things and if yes, then I guess there isn't an issue because we can do the rebalancing on our own, if not, it needs fixed.
  • Options
    So this is a human. I want to be able to edit their appearance to the full extent. If I’m playing a caster, I want to be able to build a wise, old, white haired, frail wizard looking type. If I’m building a warrior, I want a strong, youthful, bearded, rugged looking man. If I’m playing a Rogue, I want a greasy, weasely, crooked nosed, pick marked faces, untrustworthy looking ruffian. Let us build any type of human to fit the bill.
  • Options
    Gh0stfaceGh0stface Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Really good. Love the stubble. As the standard human race, I think its important to not get too crazy with customization options. Don't get too crazy with the hairstyles that look like they don't belong in a fantasy time period to the point where it ruins immersion. Id say if you want a crazy style, play a more distinct looking race, humans are meant to be boring comparatively.
  • Options
    aphorizemaphorizem Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    My comment/critique is more general and applies to all of the body models shown, but also depends on if the character creator depth allows us to change limb and bone structure beyond presets.

I find that the models look awfully slim from the sides, but it is especially noticable with the male Kaelar. In addition the elongated midsection looks strange. Not sure if that was an intentional design decision or if it should simply be looked at as a first pass, OR if the creator will give us greater controll over the bone structure (with obvious limitations).

Edit; I am also unsure if the model looking so slim from the sides is just a result of the pose the model is in.
  • Options
    Kaelar Feedback:

1. Humans/Kaelar come in all different shapes and sizes and (according to game lore) they represent the largest portion of the world's population. That being said, you might assume that humans have also embraced many other cultures, customs, and ways of living in this world which may or may not have had some small effect on their appearance over time in some small way. This has naturally created variability in the race.

2. What makes the Kaelar unique from the other races is their vast variability in appearance.

3. Therefore Kaelar need to have the most variations of styles such as: hair styles, beards, faces, eyes, noses, tattoos, etc. and even the ability to be fairly short OR fairly tall, to be happily ugly or astonishingly attractive, and so forth.

4. Humans will undoubtedly be a popular race to play and it would add a bit of variation/uniqueness among other Kaelar players/NPC's in the world.

I have to confess that one of my worst fears in an MMORPG is running around and finding a player (or god forbid) an NPC that has a face that looks exactly like mine. I literally cannot stand looking at their face after that. I realize I've lost my uniqueness at that point will simply delete my character and start over. To clarify, this is somewhat of a selfish plea in helping me with my decade-long disease I've been battling with of "same-face-phobia," but it's much much more about making the Kaelar an absolutely terrific stellar race of variety.

***BOTTOM LINE: We want LOTS and LOTS of options when it comes to character creation for this race por favor. Gracias. Domo arigato Mr. Roboto. I would say "thank you" in other languages, but that's all I know. Sorry.
  • Options
    Yup, human, nailed it! Tattoos, Hair, etc. You know the drill here.
  • Options
    Looks like he skipped leg day, every day. :D

He needs some hamstrings and quadriceps, to go with those biceps and triceps. Currently, the model is unbalanced.

Every model we have seen has overdeveloped shoulders, too much so, including the Kaelar.

Overall, they are amazing!
  • Options
    Hoping to see significant customization on Kaelar (but honestly on all races) for tattoos, facial hair, and piercings, and scars.