Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

All Kickstarter rewards to be offered on website now! (I am not amused)

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    3 days is enough for those without credit card. Please do not include all Kickstarter exclusives for the entire month.
  • Options
    For heaven's sake, calm down. This doesn't affect you in any way. They'll have bonus stretch goals on the site, meant for those who were unable to participate in the kickstarter, and, best part, as a kickstarter backer - YOU GET THESE REWARDS ALSO! You don't have to give a cent extra. If anything, you gain bonuses. How is this a bad thing? Oh no, no! I don't want bonus things, no!!!!! I don't want the company to make more money to release a better game!!! I don't want people who couldn't back the kickstarter because of where they were from or what type of payments they can do -- no!!! Horrible!!!

My God man, grow up. I swear people will bitch about anything and everything.

• Options
    I love Steven's response, one time, about their large amount of self-funding and how it allows them to pick their direction and go. Paraphrasing him, he basically said "This is what happens when you don't have a board to answer to."

Why did I post that? Because, OP, I think they'd feel the same way about your like/dislike or approval/disapproval of their choice. Me? I got into KS because my husband and I believe in the scope and goal of this game; the bennies are nice, but not necessary. I believe we would have joined KS without the bennies, but having them made us push our amount of what we could donate (being a two-gamer household means it's a bit more expensive for us) as high as we could. I'm ecstatic that this may give us another month to come up with yet more funds to contribute to something we believe so strongly in.

In short, I'm ... sorry? ... you feel this animosity, but it's a choice to view it as you view it. You could just be grateful that there will be yet more people diving in, and contributing to more game for us.
  • Options
    Hey as long as the "Kickstarter exclusives" aren't available I see nothing wrong with it. 
  • Options
     Honestly don't understand why anyone would be upset over this. It allows them to offer rewards to those who weren't able to pay via kickstarter... The main reason for the kickstarter (in my opinion) is to help fund a potentially awesome game, the extras you get as "rewards" are nice, yes, but they are a side to what you're actually paying for (the development).
     If you're mad that they are choosing to open up for people who couldn't pay through kickstarter... you're limiting people who are interested in the game, as well as limiting the funding for the game. It's a crowdfund for a reason.
     If it's an issue of "kickstarter exclusive", then I haven't seen anything as of yet that indicates that they will be offering the exact same rewards. Until it is announced, there's no reason to be so upset.
  • Options
    Menarra said:
    I'm fine with them extending crowdfunding through their site, I was hoping they would so that in a couple months after we close on our house, I can put some extra money aside and upgrade me and the wife to lifetime subscriptions. But there are things I'm not happy about. These are some points I'd think should come into consideration:

#1 Anyone who missed the Kickstarter should NOT get access to the "Kickstarter Exclusive" rewards. Come up with some new rewards that everyone gets access to based on the continued crowdfunding, but leave the Kickstarter rewards exclusive as they should be, at least the aesthetic rewards. Things like lifetime subscriptions and such, sure keep those available, but the special pets/effects/skins/mounts etc should remain with the Kickstarter backers.

#2 Allowing Kickstarter backers to upgrade their pledges after-the-fact seems fine to me, they were there at the beginning and some, myself included, could likely put more money towards higher pledges over time. Kickstarter Backers having access to upgrade seems just fine to me.

#3 Please please PLEASE do not Feature Creep! More Backer Goals is fine for aesthetics, but don't bring in more big Content features after-the-fact. We don't want another Star Citizen.
    So much this! Especially the last bit about feature creeping. I don't want to see this game die in dev hell, due to a scope far too large(the current scope is already huge).

I am sure the folks who maybe pledged when they couldn't neccisarily afford to, due to the kickstarter dealine, will feel the most delighted by the fact that no one was told about the addition website crowd funding, before hand. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I think its more of a problem to many people got burned nomansfly cough cough so there worried.

More goals get added we get more rewards yeah but the release date will get pushed back. if there to many things offered this game wont be out till 2030. like some big funded space game ;).

Also then you got the words Kickstarter exclusives offering these for a extra month will piss alot of people off, because it will feel like a kick in the D. What is to stop them from adding p2W if Kickstarter exclusives get posted on site not 2min afther KS closed?

Also why wait a month you knew KS was creditcard only? it should have been offered right off the bat or made public long before KS closed hell  they even posted in the comment section of KS that when it closed Alpha keys raffel would be KS backer only. that just feels like a bait and switch now.

• Options
    I see no issues with this.  As much as i love being that person who has something no one can ever get again, i see nothing wrong.  The desire to see this game become successful is far more rewarding than any uber exclusive once in a lifetime item or cosmetic. 
  • Options
    Hmm, apparently this is a democracy now. With that I vote to be inclusive. Put all the kickstarter tiers up there except the early bird prices.

There's no need to make a different set of cosmetics either and complicate things. That's just getting into the whole "pay to be special" thing which is the ugly cousin of P2W.

Let people take the opportunity to back the game and get the rewards. Great MMOs are about great communities and that starts by being inclusive. We want to have a good time gaming with other gamers so let's invite them.
  • Options
    Yea, I also find this frustrating because it was promised that these items were KS exclusive.  Guess I'll wait and see what they are going to offer on here before I vent.
  • Options
    I agree with OP on some points and not others.

The KS reward should stay exclusive. Backer reward can extend to new website backers if they choose to continue the campaign> old backers will get new rewards and new backers will get old rewards. The new package rewards however should be completely different than those on KS (where it mention exclusive).

Why? I'm not angry, but I understand that people should adhere to a higher principle. People pledge under KS with limited information on the game, they took a bigger risk. People who are pledging under this new website will have an additional month of information to base their pledge on. Thus, the new rewards should reflect the change in risk vs reward.

Where I disagree with OP is he is under the idea that the rewards will be the same. Steven said in his Q&A from his very own mouth, the rewards will be "new". So I highly doubt they will break their promise on exclusive reward as they are offering "new" rewards to the website backers. Of course, we won't know for certain until we see it with our eyes but as of now, I would place my chips on different rewards.
  • Options
    Yeah it's all one grand sheme to cheat you out of your money and disappear underground after all. <giggles>
    Thinfoil hat man approves and let's throw in jelousy hero.

Remember kids, no preorders.
  • Options
    Valkeries said:
    Also why wait a month you knew KS was creditcard only? 

Here's the thing no one wants to give consideration to.

Let's assume we have a platform (KS) that only accepts credit cards. Then, let's further assume that I wish to contribute to this game because I hope like Hades it's going to be as much fun as I think it is. But wait! For whatever reason, I don't have access to a credit card of my own!

Ye Gods! Stop the presses! Hold the horses! What? You mean you're denying ME the right to participate in this???

Actually, they're not. At least in the US it's not only possible but terribly easy to go trade in cash for a one-off credit/debit card thingamajiggy. 

Wait, what? I have choices? Stop the presses! Hold the horses again! (Just be very sure they're held somewhere that, when they poop, we don't have to step in it)

Bottom line? There have always been options for most of us. For some, who're unable to participate due to country/etc? I'm quite pleased they're now being given the option to participate! Further, if they're given rewards for this? Yay! 

It's ever-so-easy to try to dictate after the fact what "should" have been done, how it "should" have been done, what "should" or "should not" have been predicted. Don't get me started on the fallacy of using the word "should," let's just get down to the nitty-gritty facts. Those are that for whatever reason, things weren't seen, weren't done, were done, and exist as they are. The only way to go from this point is forward, and I commend IS for offering the opportunity further afield in order to 1) grow their community even more and 2) offer more options to those who had few, or none.

Stop griping, get over it, move forward. Oh, did I say that out loud?
  • Options
    why are you so upset about this I mean you still get your items and the devs get more money to work on the game its a win win I don't see wy you only want people who had the opportunity  to use kickstart to have these and people who would have loved to back this game get penalised for something outside of their control
  • Options
    Didn't Steven say they would be different rewards though?
  • Options
    Great MMOs are about great communities and that starts by being inclusive. We want to have a good time gaming with other gamers so let's invite them.
    Amen. 

People are upset because they feel they're losing bragging rights. Really, they're not; I mean, I'll always be "Backer #2027," so on and so forth. But it's the whole elitist mentality; I "should" have this and that and so on and so forth, because that's what I paid for.

No consideration for the other person; yet it's that consideration for the other person that, ultimately, builds a strong and thriving community.

It's the difference between "Me" and "We."
  • Options
    There are 20k people out there with the same backer exclusive items. What does it change for you if that number becomes 40k? Let the poor Paypal guys get what they want...
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Great MMOs are about great communities and that starts by being inclusive. We want to have a good time gaming with other gamers so let's invite them.
    Amen. 

.... I "should" have this and that and so on and so forth, because that's what I paid for.

No consideration for the other person; yet it's that consideration for the other person that, ultimately, builds a strong and thriving community.

Actually yes.  People should get what they paid for.  You are actually suggesting that people not get what they pay for.  Can I please sell you some stuff?  Please?  Send me the money and I won't send you anything, based on your statement you are fine with that.
  • Options
    I'm very happy that whole community can get an equal chance to come together in supporting the game and the studio at this early stage.

It's not like they will extend this indefinitely. It's time limited and a chance for those community members who whished to show support together with everyone else, can actually do this.

I appreciate very much this decision.  :)
  • Options
    I Truly don't see the sense in this post. I am happy for any additional support to intrepid and Ashes. The main reason I gave was to support the game and see it successful. I didn't GIVE to GET. Yes, the incentives and exclusive rewards are great, but I pledged to support what I think is and will be a great project to come. Why are you getting upset about us getting more bonuses from addition funding through website, when we who pledged already get the bonuses without having to pay anything additional. Be glad that there are opportunities for others to jump in and support the game. I think we all should be happy and excited knowing that the game is gaining extra support.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with it. I would assume the Kickstarter rewards won't be the rewards available through the website. Does anyone have any idea with this will be implemented on the website? I would love to check it out.
  • Options
    Even if it does offer the same rewards why does it matter to you? Are you simply so elitist about it that you feel everything needs to be yours alone? I get that you don't like this but it really seems more like you don't want people who couldn't back on this one specific platform from having what you have.

From what I'm getting here and from the quote too, is it's a new list of rewards as is anyways. I think it's great for everyone who couldn't support via KS to have a chance for stuff and it only helps further the end goal of the project.
  • Options
    Wow, more people supporting the game you love so much and are itching to have released? This sounds terrible! 
  • Options
    Didn't Steven say they would be different rewards though?
    Just watched the newest stream again to make sure I was correct on this and I am. These will be completely different packages with different rewards. For reference, this is talked about around 18 minutes into the newest live stream.
  • Options
    I think this is a great idea! only helps bring in more money, which in return gives us more game. Only thing that im afraid of is if they keep adding huge feature creeps, which results in the devs postponing the release date...

• Options
    Bannith said:
    Even if it does offer the same rewards why does it matter to you? Are you simply so elitist about it that you feel everything needs to be yours alone?
    It's not about elitism. It's about policy and promises. Kickstarter exclusive means Kickstarter exclusive. If the pledges were offered as a "here's this item congrats" instead of "the early supporters get this" then it wouldn't cause an issue. None of the items in the packages effect game play. There's no reason to go back on any exclusivity. 
  • Options
    aeschines said:
    Isende said:
    Amen. 

.... I "should" have this and that and so on and so forth, because that's what I paid for.

Actually yes.  People should get what they paid for.  You are actually suggesting that people not get what they pay for.  Can I please sell you some stuff?  Please?  Send me the money and I won't send you anything, based on your statement you are fine with that.
    Ummmmm ... can you quote, for me, where I stated that people shouldn't get what they paid for? I mean, I'm pretty sure there's a miscommunication here. If you give me the verbiage I used that led you to this belief, I'm pretty sure I can clear it up.

If it's the "I 'should' have this and that ... " comment then perhaps an expansion on that statement is due. Here's the expansion:

What exactly did you pay for? Me? I happily contributed to a game I believe in, and with that, I got some cool skins and Alpha 2 access. I'm hopeful my hubs and I will be able to grow that a bit ... because we'd like to give more to this game we believe in and hope for. Cool stuff with it? Ok, yeah, that's great. I'll take it, no worries. But where did I say people shouldn't get "what they paid for"? What I said is more along the lines of the fixation on the item. "I paid for early access and cool skins and a title and so on and so forth, and that should be withheld from people who couldn't for whatever reason donate earlier."

I'm not entirely sure they're giving the same stuff, to begin with. But further? That fixation, that mentality, is what I was speaking against, not the "shouldn't get what I paid for."

That help?
  • Options
    Isende said:
    aeschines said:
    Isende said:
    Amen. 

Ummmmm ... can you quote, for me, where I stated that people shouldn't get what they paid for? I mean, I'm pretty sure there's a miscommunication here. If you give me the verbiage I used that led you to this belief, I'm pretty sure I can clear it up.

If it's the "I 'should' have this and that ... " comment then perhaps an expansion on that statement is due. Here's the expansion:

What exactly did you pay for? Me? I happily contributed to a game I believe in, and with that, I got some cool skins and Alpha 2 access. I'm hopeful my hubs and I will be able to grow that a bit ... because we'd like to give more to this game we believe in and hope for. Cool stuff with it? Ok, yeah, that's great. I'll take it, no worries. But where did I say people shouldn't get "what they paid for"? What I said is more along the lines of the fixation on the item. "I paid for early access and cool skins and a title and so on and so forth, and that should be withheld from people who couldn't for whatever reason donate earlier."

I'm not entirely sure they're giving the same stuff, to begin with. But further? That fixation, that mentality, is what I was speaking against, not the "shouldn't get what I paid for."

That help?
    So you are agreeing that people should get what they paid for, correct?  Then I really don't understand your point.  If people paid for a pledge that stated "Kickstarter Exclusive", then they should get exactly that.  By offering it to people outside of Kickstarter it is no longer exclusive to Kickstarter.  Regardless of any moral or social reasoning, people are expecting to get what they paid for, which in many cases is a pledge that stated "Kickstarter Exclusive".

That aside, I agree that this whole conversation might be a little premature since we don't yet know what will be offered.  I'm just explaining why some people might get upset if "exclusives" are not actually exclusive.

That help?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Hm. All this talk about shaming OP as someone who wants to be a special snowflake is a mis-characterization of his argument.

It is not about getting exclusive items. It's about promises not being kept.

I know that a majority of players here are okay with extending the funding campaign. But people have to understand that there are still some people, 30% - 10% even 1% of people who pledge based on promises.

What happen to respecting people enough where they deserve having a full consensual contract between seller and buyer? Do you take lightly their enthusiasm and money that they put up under false promises? Because it's not your money, you are okay with them being misled?

Forget the whole exclusive stuff. If the KS said you get a free t-shirt if you pledge, and then at the end of the KS, they said there's no t-shirt. How would you feel? Again, it's not an issue of exclusivity but an issue of promises being kept. Even if 99.9% of backers are okay with promises not being kept, I still would respect that 0.1% of backers that want a refund.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I fully expected fundraising to be ongoing with IS, and of course new rewards  will be offered to attract  more gamers/new backers.  However, I would be shocked if the new rewards were the same as any KS exclusive rewards, especially regarding  everything Steven  has said to date.  Plus,if they were  the same, couldn't there be legal consequences? I'm sure someone out there has enough time and money to grind that axe. I don't think anybody wants to see that kind of toxic energy (including IS). 

I think Steven is intelligent and  sincere, and that he highly values the AoC community.  Let's see what he has for a plan . . .
This discussion has been closed.