Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

DPS Meter Megathread

Comments

• Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    There's a high chance that I won't consume even mid-lvl difficulty content because I dunno if my planned casual guild will even be doing pve content. I will make a hardcore character later on, once I establish myself as the best crafter around and have enough influence to get myself into a guild that would be clearing hard content. And if the game survives up until that point - I'll be fine with whatever difficulty that content has.

I have literally all the free time a person could possible have, so no content is a problem for me.

Ok, so yes, high end difficulty is a real topic for you.
    For how nooani sees it, and i see it, and what you fear also, it feels for me partially out of topic. I personally am not favorable at totally hidden... by totally hidden i think that not even a motion of the boss can do a potential hint that anything happened. But even when there is hint for all, tracker can remain helpfull to see what is happening (the hand motion and speak says anything happen, but for 10, 20, 30 second nothing... more motion meanwhile and mechanics before the "hand motion" do a landing attack. or also, begining a random timer of when the next step occurs. the tracker will help because it will track each damage/debuff/buff/heal on the fight, so any "strange" data will be a "maybe it is link to hand motion" )

This will be to the dev fight team to do it. And the existence of tracker in reality is not really so impactfull.
    Some fight in MMORPG history were really cryptic even without "oh, they will see what happened with datas on log/tracker"

This is also thing that can change, with or without tracker, after first fight done, many time.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    Amaa wrote: »
    Maybe some compromise ..

There will be different servers, so some servers can be marked with a built-in dps meter and others clean and everyone will be happy, from the programming point there is no big problem.

No one will come in the way of anyone or spoil the fun

Regards

I dislike this suggestion. There will be trackers on both of those servers, but the ones on the "no trackers" server will then actually be biased to only toxic users (the non-toxic ones will be on the "yes trackers" server), which will create a selection bias effect that will cement the false association between trackers and toxicity in many players minds.

If there are the same ratio of toxic tracker players to non-toxic tracker players as there are toxic players to non-toxic players in general, but you put all the non-toxic ones on a specific "trackers allowed" server, you're making all the "no trackers please" players lives unnecessarily difficult, and giving a normal community an undeserved bad reputation with those players.
  • Options
    Aerlana wrote: »
    This will be to the dev fight team to do it. And the existence of tracker in reality is not really so impactfull.
    Some fight in MMORPG history were really cryptic even without "oh, they will see what happened with datas on log/tracker"

This is also thing that can change, with or without tracker, after first fight done, many time.
    That's the main contradiction for me though. If tracker is not impactful why have it? And if it is impactful then why not design fights where you don't need it.

Noaani says that devs can't make a truly difficult piece of content w/o accounting for players using trackers. That leads me to believe that trackers are wildly impactful on the content and its potential difficulty.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Early L2, the bosses were not tethered.

A few instances a major raid boss was lured across the map and into the most populous town, and it wrought havoc on the 100s of afk player shops.. with dead player drops to be picked up.

Another instance, a raid boss was lured into the pvp arena where there were no death penalties and instant respawn on death... so a small group were able to take down the boss with ease.

I wonder what level of tethering will be in place!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

That's the main contradiction for me though. If tracker is not impactful why have it? And if it is impactful then why not design fights where you don't need it.

Noaani says that devs can't make a truly difficult piece of content w/o accounting for players using trackers. That leads me to believe that trackers are wildly impactful on the content and its potential difficulty.

Even if a tracker were to not be impactful in regards to having an effect on content in any way at all, it is worth having purely for its bug identification faculties.

That aspect of a tracker alone makes them worth having in a game, everything else is just an argument as to how worth it they are, imo.
  • Options

Or someone is bsing trying to manipulate logic to say you need trackers to make hard content. I've said it before, there is a reason why they won't talk about ways to make content without trackers since that isn't their goal. They simply just want eyes and control of a situation to figure out whom to kick for future content or force people to do exactly what they say else be kicked (even if that doesn't work).

If content revolves around invisible mechanics with no hints it is bad content. If you are trying to use a trackers to figure out certain mechanics you are also cheating.

The question for any game you play is what makes the content hard with the exact mechanics. That is the best way to have a open dialogue on what kind of content is fair and what content has been ruined by trackers.

@NiKr Though i doubt anyone is going to start being unbias and explain past content they have done because that all needs to be a secret to push trackers. They don't want any sensible person questioning it ;). 9001% their arguments will all fall apart for trackers and imo all that will be left is the toxicity part to control others.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Even if a tracker were to not be impactful in regards to having an effect on content in any way at all, it is worth having purely for its bug identification faculties.

That aspect of a tracker alone makes them worth having in a game, everything else is just an argument as to how worth it they are, imo.

Not a reason for trackers no.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    So, when someone that has spent years working CS says "the job of CS people is much easier when players can give us objective data rather than just subjective opinions along with their bug reports", how would you not say that bug reporting is not a reason to have trackers?

You are free to say it is not a reason you like, or not something you consider to be a good enough reason, but you can't really say it isn't a reason at all without also saying that the CS person in question doesn't know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    So, when someone that has spent years working CS says "the job of CS people is much easier when players can give us objective data rather than just subjective opinions along with their bug reports", how would you not say that bug reporting is not a reason to have trackers?

You are free to say it is not a reason you like, or not something you consider to be a good enough reason, but you can't really say it isn't a reason at all without also saying that the CS person in question doesn't know what they are talking about.

Keep trying to manipulate peoples words and skew them to fit your own narrative. If they supports trackers in AoC and wants them they will say it exactly and then you can quote.

In the mean time you can keep your disgusting behavior out of your post.
  • Options

Keep trying to manipulate peoples words and skew them to fit your own narrative. If they supports trackers in AoC and wants them they will say it exactly and then you can quote.

I mean, I asked you a question.

How disgusting!
  • Options

I mean, I asked you a question.

How disgusting!

All you can do is manipulate and whine about trackers when Steven told you no. Person the deserves the least amount of respect honestly is you. Keep trying to manipulate peoples words it won't prove anything.

Said it before and ill say it again, you are toxic, and i don't trust trackers in your hands, nor do I trust your words.
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    edited September 2022
    I've played games with and without DPS meters, and without is boring.

Once you've cleared the content and are waiting for new content to come out the only thing keeping the raid going are DPS meters. You create arbitrary challenges for yourself by stripping healers and seeing just how fast you can kill something, and people compete to see how high they can parse. Not having a meter killed the raiding scene whenever it was tried.

If you want your game to succeed it's a no brainer choice. Once the raiding scene dies the game starts dying.
  • Options
    I thought this was a MMO not a Raiding Game
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    I thought this was a MMO not a Raiding Game

It is - I am unsure what it is you are getting at with this comment.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    "Once the raiding scene dies the game starts dying" by Iskiab

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Once the raiding scene dies the game starts dying

Well, yeah.

Steven himself has said that the point of raiding content in Ashes is to be an aspiration to most people. In other words, the content is actually made as much for the benefit of people that are not running it as for people that are running it.

If the raiding scene dies, that aspiration for others is lost along with it. This has led to greater population loss than just those raiders in a number of games.

Edit to add; this isnt to say that it will be the death of the game, but if a games raiding scene dies, it will take more players with it than just those that were raiding. Sometimes significantly more.

You are better off saying you dont have a raiding scene than if you start with one, and then let it die.
  • Options
    "Once the raiding scene dies the game starts dying" by Iskiab

That persons comment translate to once raid content runs out they need dps meters to extend content which isn't true. They can min max without it and test new things out and get their higher number on killing the boss faster than the last time.

Ironic them using a meter makes that happen even faster to the point eventually they can just quit anyway.
  • Options
    Intrigued by the comments, I did a quick search and came across the following WoW quote asking," When did WoW convince itself Raiding is the only thing that's important?,"

First off the bat >
    "Seems to me that the change happened around Wrath. The game used raiding as it was intended as a small part of endgame content. Then they wanted more players raiding because the devs liked raiding, and felt that raiding could build a better game, and raiding requirements were lowered. They tried to become more hard in Cata and got immediate pushback. MOP made things more flexible, but still carried the emphasis on raiding, WoD was pretty much the raid or die expansion, Legion offered a ton of things for players but didn't get moving until the last patch, BFA tried to expand legions techniques but failed, and SL tried to go barebones with more emphasis on raiding and a bunch of casual players left."

So, to me, that would explain some of the mindset of those in this forum, migrating from games that are and/or became raid-orientated games such as WoW..and then wanting to replicate that same fun and emphasis by influencing the development to create the same.

Is that what this thread is really about?

Coming from past games where raids were fun, infrequent and incidental to the game and certainly not part of end game might also explain an opposite view point.

But is Ashes a "raiding" game.. from this end appears far from it.. but will see I guess.

How are game politics, possibly the most difficult, challenging and influencial issue the game be handled with a tracker?

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 2022
    Intrigued by the comments, I did a quick search and came across the following WoW quote asking," When did WoW convince itself Raiding is the only thing that's important?,"

First off the bat >
    "Seems to me that the change happened around Wrath. The game used raiding as it was intended as a small part of endgame content. Then they wanted more players raiding because the devs liked raiding, and felt that raiding could build a better game, and raiding requirements were lowered. They tried to become more hard in Cata and got immediate pushback. MOP made things more flexible, but still carried the emphasis on raiding, WoD was pretty much the raid or die expansion, Legion offered a ton of things for players but didn't get moving until the last patch, BFA tried to expand legions techniques but failed, and SL tried to go barebones with more emphasis on raiding and a bunch of casual players left."

So, to me, that would explain some of the mindset of those in this forum, migrating from games that are and/or became raid-orientated games such as WoW..and then wanting to replicate that same fun and emphasis by influencing the development to create the same.

Coming from past games where raids were fun, infrequent and incidental to the game and certainly not part of end game might also explain an opposite view point.

But is Ashes a "raiding" game.. from this end appears far from it.. but will see I guess.

How are game politics, possibly the most difficult, challenging and influencial issue the game be handled with a tracker?

Yup cause the same person arguing with everyone every single post wants instanced boss raids so no one can attack them :)
  • Options
    So.. why 144 pages of fluf!
  • Options
    If playing instanced raids only, I think will get pretty dry quickly!
  • Options
    So.. why 144 pages of fluf!

Literarily steven said no meters like 120 pages ago so now Noanni makes it his job to stop this thread from dying and post every second someone replies trying to stretch words and get them to say meters are ok in any kind of form he can reach. Even if they don't want other people to be able to view them from a tracker. Half the people were tired of going back and forth with him.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Not at all.

My take on what raiding in Ashes is intended to be is based purely in what Steven has said he wants it to be.

He wants it to be content that less than 10% of players are capable of defeating (not less than 10% of players do defeat it - less than 10% are CAPABLE of defeating). They also state that they want raid content to be an aspiration for the rest of the player base.

All else aside, this is Steven's stated goal for raid content. As such, it isnt up for debate that this is the intent (I'm sure Mag will claim that I am twisting his words or something).

Every argument i have made in relation to raid content (including that aspect of a combat tracker, as well as the value of a percentage of raid content being instanced) is based on the idea that Intrepid wish to actually achieve the above stated design goal.

If Intrepid state that they have a different goal for raid content in Ashes, then the arguments I make will by necessity change to better suit that newly stated goal.

However, as it stands now, if you want content that less than 10% of your population are capable of killing, there are very few ways to actually achieve that.

In terms of trackers, if content is being made without them in mind, 50% or more of your population will be able to kill that content.

As such, in order to achieve that less than 10%, trackers need to be factored in.

Edit; if your perspective is from that if a game with raiding that does not meet the stated design goals of raid content in Ashes, then you need to understand that your previous experience isnt really applicable to Ashes.

If raiding in a game you played previously was something infrequent and not something many people aspire to be able to do, then it cant really be claimed that it fits in to what Steven has said he wants from raiding content in Ashes.

Raiding in Archeage wasnt really aspirational, and so I would consider it a failure to meet the stated goal if the raid content I Ashes is not both better and harder - as an example.
  • Options

Not at all.

My take on what raiding in Ashes is intended to be is based purely in what Steven has said he wants it to be.

He wants it to be content that less than 10% of players are capable of defeating (not less than 10% of players do defeat it - less than 10% are CAPABLE of defeating). They also state that they want raid content to be an aspiration for the rest of the player base.

If raids reward winners with legendary materials and items, the percent of the inflow will be adjusted to prevent everybody to own the top gear in the game.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

Not at all.

If raids reward winners with legendary materials and items, the percent of the inflow will be adjusted to prevent everybody to own the top gear in the game.

I mean, sure. This is basic itemization.

I am unsure how this relates to anything being talked about though.
  • Options

Not at all.

I mean, sure. This is basic itemization.

I am unsure how this relates to anything being talked about though.

I am unsure either. You mentioned that first.
    I've seen in wiki that some legendary items will be unique and only after the owner leaves the server they might be allowed to drop again.

Certain legendary items may be limited to one per server at any given time.[7][8]

If the player character leaves the server then the item will become available for acquisition through whatever means it was acquired previously.[7]

Is it important for raiders to get rewards or only defeating the boss is important?

Is the ammount of rewards important for the topic being discussed here?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I am unsure either. You mentioned that first.
    Where?

I don't recall talking about itemization at all in this thread. It certainly isn't in the portion of text you quoted.
    Is it important for raiders to get rewards or only defeating the boss is important?
    This is an entire discussion, and isn't really pertinent to a discussion about trackers - as it is it's own complete and separate issue.

The two issues are connected, but only tangentially.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

I disagree with this entirely.

Just work in IT support face-to-face for a few weeks and you'll have met dozens of experts that will bring you their objective data and opinion on what's wrong.

They'll tell you "Yeah, I noticed that when I do X it does Y so it must be Z. I know you need to fix Z."

That's when you, as the actual expert find out it's totally unrelated and they're not being helpful. As the expert you're going to need to double check everything and you can't realistically trust everyone giving data since a lot of the time, it's either not relevant, factually wrong or straight up lies.

"Did you spill water?" "No." / "Did you drop it?" "No." / "Did you read the documentation?" "Yes"

In terms of using a DPS meter as a bug tracking tool, I disagree and would rather have it only available to someone that actually knows how to diagnose an issue.

This is like saying everyone should get a multimeter and to test all their electronics to better help when they need to contact an electrician.

---

I can't think of a single instance that a DPS meter would be useful in bug tracking that you wouldn't catch from basic game play. Any further in-depth testing can be done by CS with their own inhouse DevTools.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    This is like saying everyone should get a multimeter and to test all their electronics to better help when they need to contact an electrician.

And i would totally be in favour on more learning in schools about different meters, it iis a usefull thing to know. And not so hard to learn for most... (and not only things on multimeter.

Players do bug report. if you don't have player do bug report, who will do it ?
    When you try to fix a bug, first you need to identify it, the more information as factual as possible are usefull... Sure some can seems usefull when you do the bug report and is in fact... useless...

All devs i spoke with said me they prefered detailed bug report, with as much information as possible. datas being the most factual one.

I think we get a similar speak in fact. Me i just say "they have to consider top end players to be close top perfect efficiency. (so close to 100% of the DPS they can give on fight, while doing perfectly all mechanics with a quite low time of reaction. )

Players get closer to max efficiency due to tracker, because if they dont need to spend HOURS to fill the spreadsheet for the 3 hours raids to analyse it, they can focus on ... training, training so improve, so get close to perfection. (and you can't train well with a tracker, because you don't know if you are doing good or not... only datas can confirm if you new way to deal with the fight is better than previous, etc etc)
    Tracker also makes the overall players increase, because if you can scan your guildmates you can also share information ,datas and opinion based on those factual thing to discover how to have better synergies with teammate (the bard can spam buffs when avaible, or give it to you not when couldown up but when you use your personnal burst CD, multiplying effects)

A thing that only tracker can really give as information : if you remember the valkyr thing on arthas, lets look at it. You needed to kill them fast, and so have rotation on CD for different spawn, but tracker was usefull to know if people where maybe a little too much on them allowing a better spread and/or more damages on bosses. Due to valkyr being packed, there were a good amount of damages to get in optimisation to get more DPS on boss... with good coordination of the whole raid. "giving as much DPS as possible" can be a part of the teamplay.

If devs consider "people can't be this far in perfection" (which could be a decent expectation if you consider your players not using trackers) they will make easier fights.
  • Options
    Damage meters are fine in all content. The problem, is when people use meters to harass others.

Give us a 'report bad conduct' option for cases like this. If the damage meter is built in, it can have a 'tutorial' pop-up that explains what it does and what it is for...while also saying something along the lines of "While this tool is useful for information, abusing it to insult others is against our community guidelines."

I gotta admit, I have not experienced negative damage meter comments for myself or any party member in the past few years. To the contrary, it's been used to point out AFKers who are leeching in PuG content (sometimes they just die off the bat and that's understandable, but if they do it 2-3 times in a row something is up.) If you think that's a bad thing, I don't know what to say.