Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Regarding the Hammer Ability

KrumdarkKrumdark Member
edited December 2022 in General Discussion
Small critique.. This ability doesn’t look right when you are using weapons such as daggers or a Greatsword. I don’t know if this is a preset animation that will eventually be changed in the future or what, but I think we need something different and unique to the weapons your using or class you’re playing. A godly smite hammer makes sense if you are wielding a hammer or can summon the gods as a class such as a paladin. A godly smite hammer doesn’t make sense when you wield daggers or greatsword on a warrior like class.

Some Suggestions:

One suggestion is this should be looked at and changed for stabbing and slashing type weapons. Creating a different animation or skill for that specific skill of a random giant crushing hammer to make sense. For example, add a Giant thrusting pointed tip as you charge a lunge then release it in a stabbing motion on stabbing weapons. Adding blue coloration as a detail to the pointed tip when using a stabbing weapon like daggers, rapiers, spears. For slashing weapons, you could maybe do a red effect of a sweep horizontal or vertical either a) multiple crosscuts with a red bleed like coloration effect or b) a singular sweep with a giant slash effect with the same coloration mentioned in point a)

Another suggestion is being based on the class your playing rather than the weapon you’re wielding. Warriors shouldn’t really be calling the wrath of the gods opposed to paladins being able to such a thing. A warrior should be using no form of magic skills and be purely relying on their raw strength and rage to deal damage to their targets. That is why the whirlwind ability, a classic skill, makes sense when wielding a greatsword, while a giant hammer being summoned out of thin air does not make sense for a warrior. For a paladin wielding even a sword a shield though? That makes way more sense .. they are calling for holy divine energy to be manifested and used against enemies.

I will say this, the hammer skill itself is a cool animation and makes sense in the examples listed above. So please devs, I request you look at this in preparation for the games launch. I just want classes and/or weapons to have unique abilities. It adds to the flavor and look of the game, which I see you guys put your heart and soul into the creative side of things as this game has been being developed. Please don’t let this fall to the wayside and be ignored.

Comments

• Options
    It's just me, or the huge conjured hammer for the fighter archetype is a little...unnatural? Maybe after you take your secondary archetype as summoner or mage...but as a basic skill for a phisical class?
  • Options
    HalaeHalae Member
    edited December 2022
    Yes, as a skill for a physical class. What do you want him to do, punch the ground so hard it explodes into a burst of magma? Spin so hard he creates a tornado? Do an anime-style Flash Step? Channel the power of an animal through his weapon?

That it's a weird ethereal hammer is immaterial. Fighters and other 'martial' characters get magical abilities as part of their class kit all the time, at least in games that aren't attempting to go squeeze 'realism' until it's a meaningless word. And if you don't like the more overtly magical-looking abilities for your own fighter character, you can just choose not to invest in them.
  • Options
    I think the hammer would suite fighter with the cleric as a secondary but probably not base kit
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seemed much more like a cleric spell, especially with the color and the animation.
  • Options
    i thought it was weird too..specially few months ago when they showcased it with daggers
  • Options
    I get that they're going for a super high fantasy aesthetic where magic is everywhere, I just wish the magic reflected the theme of the class a little better. Fighters' abilities should be more about superhuman strength than conjuring spectral weapons.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited December 2022
    It surprised me a little when it was first used, but I figure it's something that we'll get used to and come to expect. Maybe all they'd need to do is change the colour of it so that it's a little darker, like a light-grey or something like that. I dunno how practical it would be for each archetype to have their own colourings for their particular skills?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I agree when I saw this ability I felt like something was off. Yes it doesn’t suit a warrior. The impact of the ability feels light to, it doesn’t seem to have any weight behind it. Also looks like it needs to be aimed which is awkward. Looks like it misses.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Halae wrote: »
    Yes, as a skill for a physical class. What do you want him to do, punch the ground so hard it explodes into a burst of magma? Spin so hard he creates a tornado? Do an anime-style Flash Step? Channel the power of an animal through his weapon?

To be 'fair' though, 'punch the ground so hard it explodes in a burst of magma would, in nearly any other game, be the 'expected and correct' way to achieve the effect required here.

I don't think it would work in Ashes as EASILY because I think the point is to telegraph the attack more easily, and if you augment it with an element, some might not look as sensible.

But on the other hand, they have the 'easy' option of making an attack like that where the 'function' is 'hit this AoE in front of me' have many different visual indicators, if the animators have time (could even be 'cheap' and borrow from different creatures with similar 'impact' abilities).

I mention this only to say that if you don't like the 'Celestial Hammer' and others do, rather than clashing over it, we might be better served trying to get Intrepid to change the 'base ability', to give "Celestial Hammer" as like, one of the visuals for the Highsword Augment options, and if more people come with the 'I don't like the groundbreaker punch/slam either', find out what THEY want to put under it.

I don't think anyone's seriously going to complain if the Highsword in their party who WANTS the shiny Hammer has it, right?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Replace the hammer with a giant-sized sandaled foot. :D
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2022
    That skill needs more thought put into it.
    I dont like it for Fighters. It doesnt suit them.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    The magic hammer has to go. It doesnt suit fighters.
    Fighters need detailed physical combat animations for a variety of melee weapons. You cant have them cast spells because it's easy for the development.

Here we are, talking about surveying, scribing, cartography and so many other deep details for boring work simulators and the Fighter class gets a spin to win that has the same animations even between 2 daggers, a greatsword and most likely all other weapons (spear dualswords, sword/shield) and a magic hammer?

The first video where the fighter featured was titled "melee combat" so I had hope, but in the latest update Steven said "the fighter will tank for us today" so it looks pretty solidified that the hammer is the main fighter ability, just like in AA.
    It looks so bad and many people wont slot the ability out of dislike, at a great viability cost.

It has to go.
  • Options

Me neither.. I think just removing the skill entirely and making an animation that would make sense for the other melee classes or all the weapons would make more sense.
  • Options
    it should maybe take the appearance of the equipped weapon
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    it should maybe take the appearance of the equipped weapon

Don’t know if I agree with that. I think it would just look super awkward if a giant manifested rapier were to come out of the the sky and swing down as if it were crushing an enemy. If it manifested into said weapon and did a lunging strike that would be cool though.
  • Options
    Solmyr wrote: »
    I get that they're going for a super high fantasy aesthetic where magic is everywhere, I just wish the magic reflected the theme of the class a little better. Fighters' abilities should be more about superhuman strength than conjuring spectral weapons.

Agreed with this. It should be like berserk slashes that cross cut or a slashing like animation of some sort. Maybe with daggers a flurry of stabs or a cool backstab lunging animation.

• Options
    I'm happy I'm not alone with this. I think the spell, and its animation is good, maybe they can use it somewhere else (summoner, or mage augmentation?!).
  • Options
    I agree with this. The huge hammer should change appearance to whatever weapon you have equipped. In my personal opinion I find it to be a little obnoxious for a warrior.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    It would look fine if the fighter had a massive hammer, which turned in to an even larger magic hammer, that then hit the spot ahead of the fighter.

The problem is, skills are not tied to weapons (mostly). So there are going to be some pretty incongruous actions.
  • Options
    There is literally nothing wrong with it being a hammer, if they tie it to weapons that is fine also 10* the work to do this for every weapon type.

Weapons not being linked to class is one of the best things this mmorpg is doing. It is simply the fighters magic type skill that most likely is going to be augmented to changed effects.
  • Options
    Don't agree with some of this all classes should use magic there is nothing wrong with that. I don't equal hammer to being cleric, divine etc its simply just a hammer. Of course, you can be picky that the skill isn't the same type as your weapon and maybe they will adjust that later on (which if there is a easy way to do so that is fine). If it's a material, you can put any geo instead and have the material effect on it and it's an easy swap. It is just about having the weapon follow the animation in a smart way.

If it stays as a hammer that is also fine with me though as augment system is going to be adding different effects to begin with.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Don't agree with some of this all classes should use magic there is nothing wrong with that. I don't equal hammer to being cleric, divine etc its simply just a hammer. Of course, you can be picky that the skill isn't the same type as your weapon and maybe they will adjust that later on (which if there is a easy way to do so that is fine). If it's a material, you can put any geo instead and have the material effect on it and it's an easy swap. It is just about having the weapon follow the animation in a smart way.

If it stays as a hammer that is also fine with me though as augment system is going to be adding different effects to begin with.

They could at least change it so that the Hammer is the 'Augmented version' and something that Physical Fighters like better is the 'base version' though, if it's bothering people that much.

I'm really curious why they didn't use the 'ground eruption' telegraph for this one. Making it very visible is both 'a consideration for design' and 'a problem for design' at the same time, I guess.

Can we even come up with something that hits the same spot with similar startup but doesn't either 'look silly' or 'fail to communicate who initiated the attack'?

(this is my assumption for why this looks this way, but Mage and Cleric skills that seem to exist have the same 'problem')
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

It could suite a sub class like fight/cleric, fighter/summoner, but definitely not the base kit thats for sure.

I think it best fighter cleric (High sword) although class name would make more sense being a sword instead of hammer, Fighter/mage could be good to or maybe summoner although i would like to see fighter summoner summon physical weapons to use (kinda like irelia from league)
  • Options
    I actually do agree, it is possibly my least favorite visual effect, any character with a 2 handed axe/hammer, this animation could look really good, but when using a great sword its definitely offputting.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2022
    The Hammer Strike Active Skill is an Essence ability similar to the Cleric's Castigation whip and the Tank's Javelin spear. It is not intended to be a reflection of the equipped physical weapon.
    Remember that Ashes is high magic fantasy - everyone uses magic for some of their Active Skills.

Fighter/Fighter is called Weapon Master - not Blade Master.
    I don't know why people are surprised that a Battle Hammer is among the weapons in a Fighter's Essence arsenal. (We should also see some blades in that arsenal, sure.)
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hammer Strike is an Essence conjuration - it is intended to be supernatural, rather than natural.
    That Essence conjuration is not intendedto be associated with the equipped physical weapon.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    The Hammer Strike Active Skill is an Essence ability similar to the Cleric's Castigation whip and the Tank's Javelin spear. It is not intended to be a reflection of the equipped physical weapon.
    Remember that Ashes is high magic fantasy - everyone uses magic for some of their Active Skills.

Fighter/Fighter is called Weapon Master - not Blade Master.
    I don't know why people are surprised that a Battle Hammer is among the weapons in a Fighter's Essence arsenal. (We should also see some blades in that arsenal, sure.)

Agreed, most people just don't like hammer weapons so they are throwing their dislike to the skill.

in relation to divine or cleric type weapons, it should be a mace not a hammer if there is even a comparison (which to me there really isn't)
  • Options
    I agree with this. The huge hammer should change appearance to whatever weapon you have equipped. In my personal opinion I find it to be a little obnoxious for a warrior.

Doesn’t even have to take the appearance of the weapon you’re using. Could just use stabbing or slashing animations for those respected weapon types.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Agreed, most people just don't like hammer weapons so they are throwing their dislike to the skill.

It’s not a dislike with the skill, it’s a dislike with the animation making sense when dual wielding daggers and greatsword. It looks unnatural. My post says that the hammer animation itself is cool and it should stay, but for paladin like classes and/or crushing weapons. This is not some hate brigade on the skill itself.