Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In-game harrassment. MMO Drama

2»

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    But I've chased armies down like this. People who were not fighting back at all, just mercilessly slaughtered. Was that pvp? Of course it was. I was usually part of a very skilled splinter group doing this. You had to stop reinforcements from getting inside the actual keep, because once they were inside, that keep became much harder to take. Our skill in chasing these people down turned the tide of many keep sieges.
    So you had an actual good reason to chase them in a specialized pvp zone that they entered willingly?

I think I should've been more specific. I was talking about the attacks on people minding their business, on randos farming their stuff but instead of taking their spot you just keep chasing them, and other stuff like that.

Arya's list shows that the majority of AoC's pvp is based on goals and meaningful requirements to begin the encounter. But to Arya this list implies that the game is not a pvp one, which in turn implies to me that the only "pvp" in Arya's eyes is the gankbox shit where you go unpunished for killing hundreds of people in whatever way you want (I know that Arya has said that they want consequences to actions). I personally don't consider that pvp, even if 2 players are involved in the process.

I've chased my fair share of guild war enemies too, but even there it was usually to completely remove them from the premises of some farming location or to kill their spies before a siege or a big guild event.

But like I said, maybe Ashes will change my outlook on things, cause there'd be the additional pressure of resources dropping either from my target or from me. Though with how harsh the corruption balancing will seemingly be and with the 50% flagged design, I somehow doubt that it'll ever come down to endlessly hunting people or PKing a ton of players in a short amount of time.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    So you had an actual good reason to chase them in a specialized pvp zone that they entered willingly?

Yes. In the same way that when I willingly played games with open pvp, loot drop rulesets, I was pk'd at times by other people who also had good reason to kill me. Loot. In a game where resources are contested, loot is a good reason. When I made the decision to not fight back, to retreat or hide, that is a tactical decision on my part. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The retreating armies in ESO also made a tactical decision to not stop and fight, instead to bullrush the keep they were trying to get to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Ashes, even in it's original vision, was always going to be very softcore compared to some of the other games I've played. And that's part of the attraction to me. Hardcore full loot, no consequences pvp etc, I mean it has it's place, but yeah not so much for me anymore. Not at my age. And it never really was 100% for me. I played Mortal Online and Darkfall for much less time than I played other mmos. But they were fun for awhile. A lot of fun at times, but very taxing. It's taxing to be in that kind of environment for hours and hours a day, every day.

So in the case of Ashes, what used to look like it'd be a moderately dangerous world at best, probably more so moderately light dangerous, now looks like it'll be mostly safe zone. Effectively safe zone. So maybe like a 0.1-0.5% chance of actually being killed in the world. You know, who knows, we'll just have to see.

But whatever "chance" it ends up being, if/when you get Pk'd, you got pvp'd. It might not have been fair. Good luck searching for always fair open world pvp. It is the very fact that it's NOT always fair that makes it appealing.

I had planned on popping a bottle of wine the first time I get pk'd in Ashes. This of course would be after I made the decision to not fight back because I thought I had a better chance getting away. So there I'd be, trying to get away and failing, probably inventory full of loot. Which yes btw, I signed up for this by registering on Ashes' website, submitting my credit card and signing the EULA, installing the game, pressing the login button. Multiple steps where I agreed to this and still had an option to turn back, maybe hit up WoW, see what's going on there.

Maybe I won't get pk'd at all at this rate. But if it does happen, I got pvp'd. I'm a big enough man to admit that. Now I dunno anything about what Arya said. I don't read all his posts. I've read some, I kind of agree conceptually with him on a lot of things, not talking in this thread. I haven't read any of his posts in this thread lol. It was your post that caught me, skimming through. But he's much more hardcore than I am. Like overwhelmingly hardcore in some cases. But I do like the memories he's brought back to me when I see him talk about UO. And seems like a nice guy. I like him. I just don't vouch for everything he says.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    The proof that this is not a PvP game in a high level explanation:

Intrepid tends to prioritize Verra over PvP in clashes between the two. PvP is only chosen by Intrepid when it does not conflict with Verra's sense of peril, meaning that even when PvP is selected, it is ultimately in service of Verra's overarching goals

The high fantasy dynamic reactive living world of Verra is above everything, everything is in service of it

I REST MY CASE B)
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like drama in mmos, makes things interesting
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    only carebears ask devs to change the game so they can be even more safe
    So says the carebear wanting Intrepid to make freeholds safe.
  • Options
    The proof that this is not a PvP game in a high level explanation:

Intrepid tends to prioritize Verra over PvP in clashes between the two. PvP is only chosen by Intrepid when it does not conflict with Verra's sense of peril, meaning that even when PvP is selected, it is ultimately in service of Verra's overarching goals

The high fantasy dynamic reactive living world of Verra is above everything, everything is in service of it

I REST MY CASE B)

I feel you say a lot of things and don't think it through.
  • Options
    I think I should've been more specific. I was talking about the attacks on people minding their business, on randos farming their stuff but instead of taking their spot you just keep chasing them, and other stuff like that.

Yeah I think I know who you're talking about, and I tried to acknowledge that in my first post. But I'll be a little more specific. I think everyone knows of "this" guy. You're talking about that guy that's never picked a fair fight in his life. Always someone low on health, or distracted, or obviously weaker than him. He's good at picking targets I guess, knows how to get in and out without getting himself killed. But when that guy is confronted with a fair fight with an equal opponent, he instantly flops. Dead. Doing what he normally does, he does alright though.

On the other hand, I've known guys that were absolute beasts mechanically in pvp, ya know pressing their buttons and stuff, just beasts, very good pvpers. I wouldn't wanna fuck with em. But then you see them in a mass pvp situation, and they just charge in and get themselves overwhelmed and killed instantly. No concept of timing, deception, positioning, opportunism.

And so you can see how those are two different pvp skillsets. I guess my point is that in an open world pvp system built around actually contesting resources (which Ashes may only loosely be now), it's all fair game. It's all pvp, and takes different types of skills. The same tactics that that pker uses are the same tactics that PvPPowerGuild1 is going to use against PvPPowerGuild2 when Guild 1 comes in to contest the world boss that Guild 2 is killing. Guild 1 isn't coming in and bowing and waiting for a countdown timer by the ref. They're going to hit Guild 2 at it's absolute weakest point if possible, and use every "underhanded" tactic they can think of.

But anyway, I know what you mean. The wussy guys, yeah not exactly at the top of the pvp hierarchy.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is no gank box game, you are doing a disservice calling it a PvP game, saying that will deceive pvpers and pvers
    And you are doing a disservice to all self-respecting pvpers out there by confusing PKing for PvPing :) So yes, Ashes is not a PKing game, even if it does let you PK people.

I'm an honor PK mate. PK =/= Griefing no matter how many times some of the plebs try to manipulate the language for their own ends.

PK just means you come up from full loot, PvP just means PK-lite or training wheels PKing.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally I draw the line at RL threats/online stalking.

If it's anything shy of that just sort it out in the with a few well placed spells to their face.

Overmoderation is terrible.

gugperoyjsr7.png
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Solvryn wrote: »
    I'm an honor PK mate. PK =/= Griefing no matter how many times some of the plebs try to manipulate the language for their own ends.

PK just means you come up from full loot, PvP just means PK-lite or training wheels PKing.
    I mean, this is exactly what I was talking about. PKing is not PvPing. And Ashes is not a PKing game, even if it allows PKing to some extent.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @NiKr @Solvryn

Your perspectives are tainted with real life morals which have no place in a game.
    Games are war between players, that is all, you should not let the other guy become stronger than you in any way in a game, being PvE or PvP

Don't be blinded by your self rightniousness, my work alt in Ultima Online Outlands will only chop wood to syphon all that gold into my PvP alt so I can kill other people and take all their belongings

If you can't distinguish a game from real life, then you will never fully enjoy a game or even understand it in its entirety
  • Options
    In EVE, if you are a carebear miner you will mine in the most effective way possible, you will mine more and faster, will take the best rocks for you and leave all the other miners with no ore.... this is a reality today and it was 20 years ago

The other miners who are being left with no ore or very little more, started making gank alts, just to kill those carebear hoarders chugging all the rocks for themselves. This is how the highsec ganking in EVE started in most cases, it started from miners killing greedier miners

Since I was an arms dealer, I started tracking who was buying hundreds of destroyers and thousands of guns from it, in most cases it was being bought by miners, from mining corporations and mining alliances

Those gankers were fully playing the game without the blindfold of worldly morals @NiKr and @Solvryn
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @NiKr @Solvryn now, let's talk about gank bears

Gank bears are those gankers in the party or fleet, who will only want the easiest possible killls, if any target fights back or antiganker shows up, then the gank bears will start whinning in comms, if they are killed or even if they are shot they start throwing a tantrum in comms

This kind of people exist, even when they are fantastic PvPers overall, emotionally some are gank bears
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited April 2023
    Those gankers were fully playing the game without the blindfold of worldly morals
    Good for them. I don't care. I play the game the way I want to play. And I'm not a shithead who kills helpless people. I kill the ones who do so.

edit: also, you don't need to ping us ten hundred times within the same minute.
  • Options
    See?
    I can bring an entire universe of new perspectives because I am a life long PvPer who doesn't care if you are comming in full legendary gear or naked with nothing but a pickaxe in hand

Everybody else is only food, everybody else who is not your alt has to die... sometimes you can even kill your own alt too
  • Options
    Those gankers were fully playing the game without the blindfold of worldly morals
    Good for them. I don't care. I play the game the way I want to play. And I'm not a shithead who kills helpless people. I kill the ones who do so.

edit: also, you don't need to ping us ten hundred times within the same minute.

Oh, the ping goes per post and not by topic? oh my

The point is that your imaginatory parameters only make sense in your roleplay, but game wise they make no sense since such games are about competition
  • Options
    I am way more sophisticated then people's everyday spawn killer :#
    There is an entire meta in the gank roleplay, unknown to most people
  • Options
    @NiKr @Solvryn

Your perspectives are tainted with real life morals which have no place in a game.
    Games are war between players, that is all, you should not let the other guy become stronger than you in any way in a game, being PvE or PvP

Don't be blinded by your self rightniousness, my work alt in Ultima Online Outlands will only chop wood to syphon all that gold into my PvP alt so I can kill other people and take all their belongings

If you can't distinguish a game from real life, then you will never fully enjoy a game or even understand it in its entirety

I fight other high tier PKers and PvPers for fight itself. I care about always improving and being the best version of myself and being top of the mountain.

I care about forging the perfect blade, I don't give a shit about some lowly ganking. I have nothing to gain from one dimensional stealth gank gameplay.

But I am for people being stealth class cannons if that's what they enjoy.
  • Options
    Xnate13XXnate13X Member
    edited April 2023
    NGL, I enjoy reading and seeing toxic chat/people. I feel at home, in an online gaming community. I'm nice and helpful but gaming would feel dull without coming online after a long day of work and not reading two people say the harshest things they can think of to each other. All while I stand at the trading area or banking area and just read/watch or chime in with sarcastic or silly remarks, etc. I also like to red other people's comments too, haha. I am not a fan of scamming toxicity, that's a different story. I don't like theft, hacking of accounts, luring, or abuse like that. Be as toxic as you want with words and go fight in PvP. No scamming innocent players for gold or items.

That being said, you should be allowed to say anything at all in chat that you want. If you can't handle the heat, turn on chat filters.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @NiKr @Solvryn

I fight other high tier PKers and PvPers for fight itself. I care about always improving and being the best version of myself and being top of the mountain.

I care about forging the perfect blade, I don't give a shit about some lowly ganking. I have nothing to gain from one dimensional stealth gank gameplay.

The fight starts at the woods when everybody is still naked and have nothing but an axe and a pickaxe

Wordly morals in PvP is just presumption and a blindfold, everybody has to die and it doesn't matter their level or gear

I kill everybody in front of me because I see them as equals, I'm no better than anyone so I am entitled to kill all, this is how a normal PvPer thinks without any trace of white knightery
  • Options
    I have no pity of others because I don't think I am above them when running around them map
  • Options
    @NiKr @Solvryn

The fight starts at the woods when everybody is still naked and have nothing but an axe and a pickaxe

Wordly morals in PvP is just presumption and a blindfold, everybody has to die and it doesn't matter their level or gear

I kill everybody in front of me because I see them as equals, I'm no better than anyone so I am entitled to kill all, this is how a normal PvPer thinks without any trace of white knightery

That's cool dude, you do you.

I'll continue to forge my perfect sword and look for the best fights.

• Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    bunch of necropostphiliacs here.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    novercalis wrote: »
    bunch of necropostphiliacs here.

The best achievement would be to resurrect an archived post. Anything else I skim through to see if I commented months ago.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I'm an honor PK mate.

What's an honor pk? You identify the jerk pks and then you go pk them, or something else? I'm familiar with the term anti-pk. Feel like I've heard the term honor pk before just not sure what it is though.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    I'm an honor PK mate.

What's an honor pk? You identify the jerk pks and then you go pk them, or something else? I'm familiar with the term anti-pk. Feel like I've heard the term honor pk before just not sure what it is though.

We only actively engage in fights with people who are at or above our skill level. Sure, we'll defend ourselves from someone new to PK/PvP but you do not go and pick fights with people who don't actively engage in the activity.

So no ganking, dunking on lowbies, zerging etc.

We seek to actually become talented and care about the manner in which we win our fights and yes we typically route gankers and the "jerk" pks and send them packing. Especially if they're fucking with someone whos new to the game or genre, we typically take those under our wings.
  • Options
    RvR from Dark Age of Camelot did it right. just do it like that. Hell even the PVP server was tight. Respect the mmo goats
  • Options
    Im not about bullying and all that.

But I like some drama and harsh words being said, specially if it's while roleplaying.

"Look at this dwarf!! Is your intelect as short as your legs?? HA!"

"YOU SCOBIDDYGLOBBER!!! LIKE STONE FROM THE MOTHER MOUNTAIN I WILL BREAK YOUR WEAK BODY!!"

"Don't make me laugh!!! Isn't it said that your guild of drunken simpeltons was wiped by the first lord in Carphin??"

"POINT ME AGAIN WITH YOUR CHILDLIKE ELVEN FINGERS AND I WILL TWIST THEM UP LIKE COBBLERGOBLIN FROM THE DUNZENKELL LANDS!!! OUR WOMEN COULD SEND YOU TO SUOMA WITH A SINGLE STRIKE TO YOUR PRETTY FACE!!!"

*Duel starts*
  • Options
    I am confused about how some folks on here are "trying to prove that Ashes of Creation is not a PvP game". This doesn't require proof, but simply reading, as stated over and over and over again this is a PvX game. From the Wiki: "Ashes of Creation is a PvX game. Players will naturally encounter both PvP and PvE elements. It is unlikely that a player could purely focus on just PvP or just PvE."

With that being said: I think the security systems sound like they would be capable of functioning as a screening tool for harrassment as well. If those detect repeated PKs against lower level players and chat conversations that imply that this is not about in-game competition but to tilt the player behind the characters instead of triggering a security warning it could create a noduct notification for GMs to look at.

Beyond that there is a report feature that should help us punishing and stopping any harrassment, which I would define as actions deliberatly trying to harm the playing experience of another player. Destroying a Node is certainly bumming the citizens of that Node out, but it is not explicitly aimed at destroying the fun of other players, it primarily aims at the acquisition of resources, increase growth potential for other Nodes and causing change in the world over all. Therefore: Not harrassment. Killing the a specific player over and over especially if that player is not fighting back: Harrassment, because after 2 kills there is really not much merit to it anymore. There are diminishing returns, there are other players and yet the focus is what makes it harrassment. Also going out of the game and trying to annoy players because of stuff in the game - harrassment.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<