Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption system and getting "the jump" in wpvp

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    blat wrote: »
    A: would PvEers be opposed to PvPers receiving an exp buff in exchange for the PvPers perma-flagging?

I generally choose not to play games that can't come up with better than this.
    B: would PvPers consider perma-flagging if they received such a buff to exp?

Same answer.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    blatblat Member
    SongRune wrote: »
    Regardless, I wonder:
    A: would PvEers be opposed to PvPers receiving an exp buff in exchange for the PvPers perma-flagging?

What's the point? The goal seems to be giving the PvP players an advantage over PvE players in PvE progression for... being PvP players? What does a PvE player get out of this, or is it just a strict disadvantage? I don't really like the idea of "flag up or lose out", personally.

A PvEer gets the advantage of reduced non-consensual PvP activity. Well the point really would be to compensate PvPers to remain flagged.

Yknow because the game is about conflict. Risk v reward, etc etc.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Azherae wrote: »

I generally choose not to play games that can't come up with better than this.

Well this is I'm addition to the existing corruption mechanics right. Just to fix* the issue* that this thread exists to discuss.

*I know I know, not everyone agrees it's an issue that needs fixing. Some do, though.
    Before the semantic warriors charge to the rescue!
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 9
    SongRune wrote: »
    Regardless, I wonder:

What's the point? The goal seems to be giving the PvP players an advantage over PvE players in PvE progression for... being PvP players? What does a PvE player get out of this, or is it just a strict disadvantage? I don't really like the idea of "flag up or lose out", personally.

A PvEer gets the advantage of reduced non-consensual PvP activity. Well the point really would be to compensate PvPers to remain flagged.

I'm not seeing it. How do I get lowered risk of nonconsentual PvP here? People who want to gank me are not in any way prevented from doing so are they? Maybe they have more other people to fight, but 'lack of consensual PvP options' was never a PvEr's problem. The problem was "gonna get ganked cause somebody else wants your spot or resources". People who want a fair, willing opponent could already find one.

This sounds like "consenting to PvP gives you a benefit". Was there another part to this scenario that wasn't in the post? The only thing this does to reduce nonconsentual PvP is pushing people to consent by penalizing them for not doing so.
  • Options

A useful note is probably that this is the fundamental difference between us and 'you' (or Steven).

We don't want to play a game 'about conflict'. We want to play 'a Fantasy game about Nodes which allows reasonable/meaningful conflict'.

We have enough games that are about conflict to play, and we have a non-Fantasy game with 'Nodes' AND a better conflict system.

So the response to such suggestion just ends up being 'whatever makes conflict-first players happy'.

I mention this because I got them to engage enough to answer, but probably won't get more than that.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A: it does def depend on the multiplier. I guess the reason I've gone with an exp gain specifically is to offset for the increased downtime that comes with PvP, exp loss from deaths etc. Seems to me like a reasonable balance could be found that could give everyone what they want.
    B: yeah fair. Those details could be debated though. IE: a toggle that can be set in town / your home node etc.
    I don't consider it an offset since PvPers already have a half-normal reduction in death pnealties.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    A: it does def depend on the multiplier. I guess the reason I've gone with an exp gain specifically is to offset for the increased downtime that comes with PvP, exp loss from deaths etc. Seems to me like a reasonable balance could be found that could give everyone what they want.
    B: yeah fair. Those details could be debated though. IE: a toggle that can be set in town / your home node etc.
    I don't consider it an offset since PvPers already have a half-normal reduction in death pnealties.

Lol well regardless, flagging in advance obviously increases your chance of dying to PvP, and that'd have to be incentivised somehow, eg via a buff to exp.
    It's really not complicated.

I reckon I could propose that 2+2=4 here and the thread would light up with PvEers who've found a way to disagree.
  • Options
    blatblat Member

A useful note is probably that this is the fundamental difference between us and 'you' (or Steven).

We don't want to play a game 'about conflict'. We want to play 'a Fantasy game about Nodes which allows reasonable/meaningful conflict'.

All respect but we are on an Ashes forum right, the brainchild of Steven who has repeatedly declared conflict and risk v reward to be central to gameplay.
    We're not necessarily discussing our personal hopes and dreams for MMOs generally.
  • Options

All respect but we are on an Ashes forum right, the brainchild of Steven who has repeatedly declared conflict and risk v reward to be central to gameplay.
    We're not necessarily discussing our personal hopes and dreams for MMOs generally.

Ashes is still a little unclear for some of us, you see.

Don't worry, we'll probably realize and leave eventually. It's just taking a long time.

• Options
    blatblat Member

Don't worry, we'll probably realize and leave eventually. It's just taking a long time.

Well for me too. The purpose of the thread was to discuss a v specific situation that is more relevant to PvPers, who are not so familiar with a flagging system.
    And an incentive to pre-flag is a humble attempt to address that, without penalising the PvEers out there.

It'd be nice if people could recognise a genuine constructive attempt without it descending into the usual polarised tit-for-tat rubbish.
  • Options

Well for me too. The purpose of the thread was to discuss a v specific situation that is more relevant to PvPers, who are not so familiar with a flagging system.
    And an incentive to pre-flag is a humble attempt to address that, without penalising the PvEers out there.

It'd be nice if people could recognise a genuine constructive attempt without it descending into the usual polarised tit-for-tat rubbish.

You're just imagining that.

Unless your original point was unclear. The question was 'what people would think of it'.

That's why I answered the way I did personally.

"If that was implemented, I wouldn't play."

Is this gonna make you assume I'm a PvE player again...?

• Options
    blatblat Member

Unless your original point was unclear. The question was 'what people would think of it'.

Ha well I'm not actually referring to you personally here!
    Just the general mood of some of the responses in here.
    Some great replies, but tend to get crowded out by PvE militants.

Personally I'm well up for trying to make PvX work for all, raised the thread to try to get my head around how these mechanics can be made to work for people like me, coming from always-on PvP environments.
  • Options

Ha well I'm not actually referring to you personally here!
    Just the general mood of some of the responses in here.
    Some great replies, but tend to get crowded out by PvE militants.

Personally I'm well up for trying to make PvX work for all, raised the thread to try to get my head around how these mechanics can be made to work for people like me, coming from always-on PvP environments.

There are no PvE militants on this forum anymore.

Not one.

You're imagining it. This is a common thing for players who come onto forums and are more invested into specific parts of PvP.

Not even by the most generous definition of 'militant' are there any 'left'.

• Options
    blatblat Member

I still can't get my head around this tbh.
    As a previous poster pointed out, it'd depend entirely on the multiplier.
    For argument's sake let's say it was merely 5%.
    But you would of course need some kind of incentive to encourage any pre-flagging.

How this would negatively affect a PvEer, I don't get.
    It's simply encouraging PvPers to pre-flag. If you don't fancy it, don't opt-in?
    You would then be unflagged by default, which would offer some protections against non-consensual PvP via the corruption system.

And wouldn't lose out, as those people who've chosen to opt-in would lose far more exp via time lost in PvP (and direct exp loss via increased death rate).

So, given the enormous scope and appeal of the game. I can't get my head around how such a simple measure would warrant the knee-jerk "ok I'm not playing then" reaction.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Damn, Azherae summoned the entire crew :D

As for the toggle question - that's already in the game. Hit anyone around you (as long as they're not red or your direct ally) and you'll be flagged. Do that every 90s and you'll be permaflagged. No need for toggles or xp boosts or whatever else.

I personally dislike toggles for that exact reason. They always require some incentive or just have some implied extra mechanics with them. And considering that the current system already has enough extra mechanics that majority of people are not used to, I wouldn't want a whole toggle feature on top of that. And I definitely don't want toggles to replace the current system, if that was the implication of that discussion.
  • Options
    So, given the enormous scope and appeal of the game. I can't get my head around how such a simple measure would warrant the knee-jerk "ok I'm not playing then" reaction.

There's your problem.

You see Ashes as having 'enormous scope and appeal'.

For me, August 27th is a Tuesday.

• Options
    blatblat Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    And I definitely don't want toggles to replace the current system, if that was the implication of that discussion.

It was suggested in addition to the existing system.
    No I didn't think a toggle would replace the corruption system.

I've said so many times now (in this thread) how I'm a fan of what they're attempting to do with this system, and am merely trying to iron out potential wrinkles for those of us more familiar with always-on PvP.
  • Options
    blatblat Member

There's your problem.

So my problem is assuming that posters on an Ashes of Creation forum might be interested in playing Ashes of Creation?

Yeah, my bad.
  • Options

There's your problem.

So my problem is assuming that posters on an Ashes of Creation forum might be interested in playing Ashes of Creation?

Yeah, my bad.

In a way, yes?

You should assume that posters on an Ashes of Creation forum might be interested in playing Ashes of Creation as it was explained to them at some point in the past.

Dygz has already given you a short history lesson, it's possible to ask for a longer one, I'm sure.

Anyways, I see this is my mistake, you asked a clear question so I called my group to answer, but in so doing, I might have given you the impression you just said.

In a way, it's a good reminder. Posting is, itself, an indicator of 'interest', and therefore this is my bad. Sorry about that.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Yeah, we've seen several changes or "clarifications" that have alienated one part of the preexisting fanbase or the other. I'm sure we'll see more and even more people will get filtered out. Ashes of Creation? More like... Ashes of Theseus.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Alright well I think some of this is me being new to this forum! I've followed Ashes since fairly early on, but have only recently caved in to the hype enough to get involved here.

And yes my intention in this thread was to discuss a very specific question/issue (to some, not all!) with the existing corruption system.
    This is despite generally being a fan of what that system is trying to achieve.

I think it is reasonable to assume that any other new posters will be expecting a forum full of people excited for the game, in it's current form.
  • Options
    Alright well I think some of this is me being new to this forum! I've followed Ashes since fairly early on, but have only recently caved in to the hype enough to get involved here.

And yes my intention in this thread was to discuss a very specific question/issue (to some, not all!) with the existing corruption system.
    This is despite generally being a fan of what that system is trying to achieve.

I think it is reasonable to assume that any other new posters will be expecting a forum full of people excited for the game, in it's current form.

Agreed, which is why I'm genuinely sorry for that, I jumped the gun because you asked a specific question and I figured we're so deep in this thread that you might not get a lot of answers, so I let everyone in my group know.

So for future reference, anyone who responded since that question other than Dygz or NiKr is 'in my group' and don't normally post, since they leave it to me. If you need them to answer a question about an idea you have, though, just lmk anytime.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    This is where you gotta play a game of "how does this poster "sound" in their comments, when did they register and what exactly are they saying". It's a really fun game.

Quite a lot of people here are the ones who could've (or have) been filtered out already, but have stayed on the forum for a multitude of reasons (time-sunk cost definitely one of them).

Some of us stay here in the hopes that the design will shift backwards, if even a little. Some hope that it'll shift even deeper into the current direction. Some stay to keep yelling at clouds that they don't want forced pvp, while others yell at the same clouds that they want ffa pvp.

In other words, expecting a forum to be super homogenized would be the first and main mistake of a new poster. Especially in this day and age, where access to internet info/media is as widespread as it is.

Maybe 20 years ago seeing a forum like this meant that everyone was on it because they went out of their way to find a group of people that were into the exact same thing as them. But now you usually see a range of buttheads butting heads, in hopes of being the "right ones" at the end. And a fair number of us buttheads have been at it for half a decade already. Some even longer.
  • Options
    abc0815abc0815 Member
    Expectation management is lacking or basically none existent. When i heard that Freeholds would be hard to get i never thought i would be a hard quest.On social media this got repeated to the point that it was believed. Nothing about quests is generally hard. What ever Intrepid Studios says 2 players will hear totally different things (and reinvent words/meaning).
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    I would never under any circumstances perma-flag for PvP combat.

Yeah thanks for clearing that up. ;)
    I'm obviously talking about PvPers having the option to perma flag and being incentivised to do so, via say a buff to exp gained

The reason to this is described in the OP as

"The attackers were able to focus one enemy and take him down quickly with the group's damage combined.
    [...] there was no time to respond"

To me this is a valid scenario.
    I wouldn't want to see a pre-flagging to help reduce material loss because becomes too similar to a PvP on/off and reduces risk.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    edited April 9
    Otr wrote: »
    I would never under any circumstances perma-flag for PvP combat.

Yeah thanks for clearing that up. ;)
    I'm obviously talking about PvPers having the option to perma flag and being incentivised to do so, via say a buff to exp gained

The reason to this is described in the OP as

"The attackers were able to focus one enemy and take him down quickly with the group's damage combined.
    [...] there was no time to respond"

To me this is a valid scenario.
    I wouldn't want to see a pre-flagging to help reduce material loss because becomes too similar to a PvP on/off and reduces risk.

Hm I disagree.
    I agree it is a valid wpvp scenario. But I don't think corruption is intended to punish that type of scenario. The system exists as a deterrent, and I don't think that's the type of scenario we want to deter.
    becomes too similar to a PvP on/off and reduces risk.

It increases risk, on the whole.
    If you opted-in to pre-flag for PvP, you're basically saying: "I'm game to be attacked". You might be out collecting herbs and someone is v likely to go for you.

So of course it increases risk. The whole point of corruption penalties for killing non-combatants is to deter.
    Which means non-combatant = less likely to be attacked (AKA less risky)
    Combatant = more likely to be attacked (AKA more risky)

The scenario I described in this thread is one v specific case where it seems to me that the corruption system is overreaching a little, punishing something it isn't designed to punish.
  • Options
    abc0815abc0815 Member
    Pre flag? Who ever mentioned flagging (what ever stream or the like) made a mistake. The system flags you. That is it. But now you want to "pre flag" ? Again everybody is open to attacks all the time. Some areas carry a tiny penalty. But lets make it way more complicated then needed.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Otr wrote: »

I should clarify here; the intention behind the suggestion of the opt-in pre-flag (of some kind) wasn't so much to reduce material cost, although that is part of it, but to avoid corruption for the attacker amongst active pvpers.

Do we agree the purpose of corruption is to disincentivise non-consensual PvP?
    Which could be reframed as "those who don't want an open PvP environment".
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    abc0815 wrote: »
    Pre flag? Who ever mentioned flagging (what ever stream or the like) made a mistake. The system flags you. That is it. But now you want to "pre flag" ? Again everybody is open to attacks all the time. Some areas carry a tiny penalty. But lets make it way more complicated then needed.

Yeah this is an 8 page discussion, but to catch you up there was a speculative problem posted, some discussion around who it affects and then some suggestions for how to improve the system.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    the perma flag option is highly abusable. i can see that everyone will turn it off forever at some point xD
    just flag and kill like a normal person ;3