Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[WWYD] Ganking a Player...

VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
😈 What a glorious day for ganking!

👀 You are on the prowl, and notice an unsuspecting player chopping trees. #WWYD?

(Click on the link below to submit your answer!)

Twitter:
community_management.gif

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well done. 4 plus years of Steven telling the community that Ashes won't be a gankbox to be undone by one tweet.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • I send out a call for help in g chat then we 10 v 1 this guy and steal his wood.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Me walkin' up to gank the player 😈

plague-doctor.gif
    community_management.gif
    edited August 2022
    Morg7x7 wrote: »
    I send out a call for help in g chat then we 10 v 1 this guy and steal his wood.

I like where your head is at 😏
    community_management.gif
    edited August 2022
    Well done. 4 plus years of Steven telling the community that Ashes won't be a gankbox to be undone by one tweet.

Who is to say that player doesn't have a bounty? Or corruption status? Or perhaps they're a known enemy of your guild. Or maybe they're in a well-contested farming area!

Ashes of Creation is a PvX game. PvP is the catalyst for change in Ashes of Creation. Nobody is saying Ashes of Creation will be "a gankbox", but it would be incorrect to say you would not encounter PvP in Ashes of Creation :wink:
    community_management.gif
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »

Who is to say that player doesn't have a bounty? Or corruption status? Or perhaps they're a known enemy of your guild. Or maybe they're in a well-contested farming area!

Ashes of Creation is a PvX game. PvP is the catalyst for change in Ashes of Creation. Nobody is saying Ashes of Creation will be "a gankbox", but it would be incorrect to say you would not encounter PvP in Ashes of Creation :wink:

The method of delivery of the message is part of the message.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• n2dt6PU.jpg
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Azherae wrote: »

Yes, to me, method of posting a community WWYD on twitter sends the message that it's more of a fun activity than a message about the game's design. There is also the fact that they make other posts asking people about their opinions on game design which have a different structure.

What's your interpretation?
  • well, I cry because i'm the gatherer :cry:
    Sorry for my english. French here !
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    I thought it was really polite of the player in black to walk so quietly on his way to help the lumberjack. Clearly the fellow gathering was quite focused, and we all know that interruption can be frustrating.

Also, pretty cool that player went the extra mile to dress like a crow to blend in with the natural surroundings.

All in all, everything seemed harmonious to me. Nothing to worry about at all...

:#
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    Azherae wrote: »

Yes, to me, method of posting a community WWYD on twitter sends the message that it's more of a fun activity than a message about the game's design. There is also the fact that they make other posts asking people about their opinions on game design which have a different structure.

What's your interpretation?

As a ganker, my interpretation doesn't matter.

I found the devil-face cute, and I am in fact often one who 'prowls' :)

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    ....?
    Do you ask if I would PK for no reason?
    This topic isnt constructive. It will confuse ppl or give ammo to pvp haters.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ....?

...it's not supposed to be constructive, it's just something to do.

If you wouldn't gank a random farmer, then answer no and move on.
  • Start dancing while the dude becomes corrupted.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Start dancing while the dude becomes corrupted.

The classic wait for someone else to gank them and kill the killer strat.
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    start teabagging the gatherer and laugh emote cause no corruption - twink low lvl ganker here
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
    ....?

...it's not supposed to be constructive, it's just something to do.

If you wouldn't gank a random farmer, then answer no and move on.

Obviously I didnt post because I was looking for "something to do".
    Bad marketing is bad marketing. Perhaps you get a kick out of a tiny bit of interaction mcstackerson and you felt attacked just now. But this tiny bit of interaction that got you all excited will be the next wave of people posting in eveey forum "why the corruption system wont work" and from that wave a bunch of ppl will say "Ill give this game a pass".

So if you want to sit here and have "something to do" do that, dont try to clarify for me how I should respond to this.
    Have fun now
    Bad marketing is bad marketing. Perhaps you get a kick out of a tiny bit of interaction mcstackerson and you felt attacked just now. But this tiny bit of interaction that got you all excited will be the next wave of people posting in eveey forum "why the corruption system wont work" and from that wave a bunch of ppl will say "Ill give this game a pass".

So if you want to sit here and have "something to do" do that, dont try to clarify for me how I should respond to this.
    Have fun now

It's bad marketing because people might come on the forums and make a thread against pvp? I get where you are coming from but those threads will always exist. I think it's better to be transparent about this side of the game than act like it's not there in some weird attempt to sneak it in.
  • Regardless how much this happens in the game or such it still is a valid question that can give information on interest and thoughts. Ganking is still apart of the game and even if it isn't a gank fest so input is valuable.
  • ThatGuyPowersThatGuyPowers Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm only gonna gank players and guilds that have an interest in attacking the node I live in no one else
  • UnderdelveUnderdelve Member
    edited August 2022
    Announce myself as a "Gathering Auditor." Inquire as to whether or not the Gatherer has a valid gathering permit. If the Gatherer's response is "yes," explain to the Gatherer that the permit they have is no longer valid and that they will need to purchase a new gathering permit. If the Gatherer's response is "no," explain that the Gatherer needs a permit in order to gather in this area.

In any case, inform the gatherer that I, as a *cough* "Gathering Auditor" just so happen to have a valid gathering permit available for sale...for a reasonable price.

If the Gatherer refuses to purchase a valid gathering permit, threaten violence to induce purchase of a gathering permit. If the Gatherer shows resistance, wish the Gather the best of luck and immediately leave the area in search of another Gatherer to swindle.
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Good god, you'd think the question was asking, "you catch an unsuspecting woman in a skirt bent over, what do you do, based on some of these responses. holy shit.

I'd check the horizon in all directions for other players, and if clear, I'd move up behind as quickly and quietly as I can and go for the kill.

On the player in a video game with pvp. Not the woman. Good lord people.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Simply, if the player was chopping wood and wood was a low-value commodity, I would probably do nothing.
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    If people get upset over the aspect of ganking in a promotion for a PvX game, then they are probably in denial of the fact that PvP is just as much of a part of this game as PvE.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    Dolyem wrote: »
    If people get upset over the aspect of ganking in a promotion for a PvX game, then they are probably in denial of the fact that PvP ganking is just as much of a part of this game as PvE.

Deniers amirite?

• Azherae wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    If people get upset over the aspect of ganking in a promotion for a PvX game, then they are probably in denial of the fact that PvP ganking is just as much of a part of this game as PvE.

Deniers amirite?

Bunch of silly gooses
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • I hope the game doesnt have open world free ganking. The vast majority of players dont want this. If the game launches with open world pvp, a lot of people inc myself will pass.