Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What kind of monsters do you want to see in the game?

I would like to see monsters with a great deal of camouflage, for example part of an old ruin comes to life and attacks while you explore it. Or like Tolkien's Watcher in the Water outside Moria.

"You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters."

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Crabs and Succubi
  • Options
    Some camouflage monsters would be nice :) I think we will get some interesting monster designs because AoC is a High fantasy genre :3
    Preview of some 'monster' concept art posted on discord a few days ago :3 I think it might be under realm Tulnar 'bad guys'. Still a mystery and we don't know the answer so don't take my words for truth!
  • Options
    Ugh. I don't want to be Tulnar any more. They look like Dark Crystal muppets that evolved from skinny snapping turtles or something.
  • Options
    All MMO should have the age old mimic 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I would like to see a cosmic monster. I've always been a fan of villainous monsters like Galactus or Dormammu. Would be cool to see a villain that can unleash cosmic mayhem, or even a villain that we'd have to fight in a Dark Dimension (underrealm perhaps?)

• Options
    I'm okay with everything that fits to the surroundings
    But whatever you do, spare me giant insects like bees or something .. Otherwise I unfortunately won't be able to enter these regions - thank you <3
  • Options
    Honestly the classic bandit camp, if done correctly, is really nice. More so if the mobs are a slight bit clever, so they behave as players would, healer at the back and tank at the front :)
  • Options
    Regions should have species that are influenced by the habitat and should not be borrowed across the entire world.  There are some games that add a blob because it looks cool in a dungeon without any reason why the stank pile is there, rather used as a gate to further your progression in an area.  I'm not against odd species in a region if there is a story behind them.  Like real life invasive species (Example- Asian Carp in the Mississippi River system).  If you are going to add an invasive species to an area where it is not in natural habitat, it should have a some story to how it gets there or why they are now mixed with the domestic species and an effect (positive or negative) on the area.  Easily explained by a small emote or quest chain to explain their purpose.  Those stories add to a real immersion filled game and an extra layer to the story.

For those curious, the Asian carp (silver head carp) in the Mississippi waterway are fish thought by most to be highly detrimental to the environment in parts of the Mississippi ecosystem.  They even jump out of the water when they are scared by vibrations (boat motors) and can cause serious injury or death to those boaters hit.  Here is a small video explaining the species, the first two minutes have the bulk of the information; scary music included ha.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPeg1tbBt0A

Imagine going down a river/ocean in game and getting smacked in the face and breaking a jaw to an invasive species in the region! :D:D

• Options
    Now we have the underworld can we have Gieger style Aliens? 
    Better still drop-bears! *sagenod*

• Options
    I want nothing that looks like a spider, sounds like a spider or even once heard of a spider on another world. 

I am going to pretend I didn't see the spider with TENTACLES coming out of it's face that was player controlled. Because If I had seen that the exclusive kickstarter reward I would want would be a magical pair of glasses that makes anything spider-y look like a bunny rabbit. 

Other then that... all monsters good. 
  • Options
    A eagle head wings with skinny rat corps leg , 2 knee cap on th back legs on each way (For a good jump)  and a lion tail ,size of a wofl i think it should be

12 zodiac signs transformed into scrary monster , ex : In google image lol
  • Options
     size of a wofl

Sounds like a scary beast you're conjuring up there...but for my own clarity I was wondering...do you mean Wolf or Waffle?
  • Options
    Im all for any kind of myth or mir creature, I just hope they act properly, like a pack of wolves isnt gona run at you like a stag would, they would surround and flank you with the biggest one taking the front etc realistic behavior is what makes the mobs in an mmo for me.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    Crabs and Succubi
    I hear you can get Crabs from some Succubi.  o:)
  • Options
    Sozia said:
    I want nothing that looks like a spider, sounds like a spider or even once heard of a spider on another world. 

I am going to pretend I didn't see the spider with TENTACLES coming out of it's face that was player controlled. Because If I had seen that the exclusive kickstarter reward I would want would be a magical pair of glasses that makes anything spider-y look like a bunny rabbit. 

Other then that... all monsters good. 

DId you repeatedly fall in those horrible spider traps/holes in EQ1 too?

I never hated spiders so much till I played that game!  Boy did we try to stay away from there!
  • Options
    @CylverRayne,
    So many games and so many horrible spiders. They freak me out in real life also which is super annoying.  And yes! Everquest spiders were awful. Super long legs that garden spider body. blech ick ugh. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I have a feeling any monster they put out will be rather creative after seeing this monster rabbit

• Options
    Mykkala said:
    I have a feeling any monster they put out will be rather creative after seeing this monster rabbit

Ya I was thinking his mouth and teeth would make a good jail for the corrupted ones!
  • Options
    Mobs that have behaviours, reacting to the envoronment and the activities of the players around them.

Below are some random ideas for mobs from other games and just inspiration:
    1. group mobs that herd, graze, attack en mass or flee en mass
    2. mobs that deplete in areas if too much pve and replenish over time
    3. mobs that interact with other mobs ie predator, prey
    4. mobs that remember you if you were unsuccessful at killing them last time
    5. mobs with lairs
    6. mobs that may be above you in tall forested areas bringing three dimensions into play
    7. waves of mobs guarding choke points in paths that become a true achievement to pass through, never on your own
    8. seasonal mobs
    9. diurnal and nocturnal mobs
    10. some mobs that when distrubed will follow you and wreak havoc all around 
    11. mobs that setup camp to guard an area and move on if successfully attacked
    12. mobs that might pick you up and carry you unwittingly back to their lair to be released if someone comes to save you or after x time chance for escape
    13. mobs that might just give a high reward but might also steal the gear of defeated foes, creating a player generated treasure trove!
    14. small group mobs that fight quite strategically
    15. patrolling / nomadic mobs
    16. mobs friendly to the local community and not friendly to outsider

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I dunno if it's just because I'm an old hat, but I am preferential to DnD monster archetypes.  Not necessarily carbon copies, but here are some of my favs that always added OH GOD SERIOUSLY!?!?! moments to campaigns that made them memorable:

Mimic, rust monster, gelatinous cube, Lich (with phylactery mechanic, sometimes adds a bit of puzzle solving required before engaging the mob), beholder, displacer beast
  • Options
    I'd like to see some invisible one... just saying And yes I am serious I really want ones that are invisible
  • Options
    Mykkala said:

Ya I was thinking his mouth and teeth would make a good jail for the corrupted ones!
    Have you seen the mounts silhouettes o.O with those crazy designs who knows what monsters we will end up with xD
  • Options
    I really want cute cuddly bears dropping out trees on your head, they cling onto your head/leg slowing you down until you hack the bear off. 
    Monsters don't have to be terrifying...

Or a monster that inflicts a psychotropic attack. You think you know what to attack? Well I've just changed into a trifle and an flying away with all your clothes and Judy garland...
  • Options
    Shark people
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I want some evilly smart ones! You know the kind!  The ones that pop out of nowhere  and makes your heart skip a beat or three!   

Or how about the one who goes bump in the night?  You hear him. You know he's near. BUT where?  You look side to side and as you turn and look behind he grabs you from above!  Or some such surprise................
  • Options
    What about cute little monsters , that will come up to you all cute with little heart animations, so you think it has been tamed, and loves you..  maybe even goes an sits on your shoulder making cute meow sounds..    .. But .. when you least expect it, it turns and attacks.. Only those that are well versed in Animal husbandry would be able to see through the deception.
  • Options
    I would really like to see just other NPCs who just took the way of the Thief or Bandits or who sided with some dark force! :D
  • Options
    Sateda i totally agree with you x)
  • Options
    If I see a @Nagash and an @Umji in game that'll be plenty enough monsters for me. My heart couldn't take more.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    If I see a @Nagash and an @Umji in game that'll be plenty enough monsters for me. My heart couldn't take more.
    Oh dear!  Time to brush up on CPR!