Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"End Game" mentality has to die and resurrect "Play Time" from the Ashes.

Comments

• Options
    If I took that out of context then you should construct your sentences better.  

I said got canceled because of.
    You said canceled after. Dividing the sentence of any relation to affect and cause.  

You then agreed to a relation to funding and Next's cancellation but continued to give an alternate reason for the developments halt.  

I then corrected myself telling you my theories that the alternate reason is false.

You proceeded to dodge and shifted the focus to landmark being a main reason development stopped. I will say this you did acknowledge some slight viability at this point but even that was backed what the developers were saying at the time which disregarded any viability of my theory. 

You never once just said yeah that could be the case, you just spewed facts about the situations of development, disregarding the theory in place with your own point of view.

It's taking a lot of energy to continue this so I surrender. 

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Shhhhh we must stop the quarrel. 
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Dygz said:
    You have a dev quote for stat decreasing? There is xp debt which means it takes longer to gain the next level. And durability loss, which I took to mean gear; not stat loss.
    From the Dungeon Crawler Network Q&A:
    While you cannot delevel from dying, you can accrue negative experience and that debt reflects certain combat effectiveness in both PVP and PVE: lower health and mana, lower stats, less gear proficiency. The more you accrue, the worse your performance. Through death, you recover that negative experience.
    Doesn't that quote refer to corruption??
    I'll check. Thanks!
  • Options
    @Dygz , just not Copy&Paste. This Content feels like its going to be randomized everytime the Node is rebuilt. As such, different Places will be explored, different things will be undiscovered, - a few different routes to take in between; not necessarily the same. In addition, the Seasons will make that experience Different too; different "Building Material" might appear as in-game Season/time passes ... and a few other things

In addition to that, many things could destroy a node - Monster Coin(s) from Player(s), Sieges from Guild(s), or Boss)es) from Legion, Elite, or Epic Level ... and other things they might implement.

( they might Implement Erosion from the Passing-Seasons if the Node has been up
     " too long. "  But Erosion is a longer process i believe)

• Options
    Eragale said:
    In addition to that, many things could destroy a node - Monster Coin(s) from Player(s), Sieges from Guild(s), or Boss)es) from Legion, Elite, or Epic Level ... and other things they might implement.

I think it's been specifically mentioned that only player sieges can delevel/destroy nodes. 

Monsters disable services in nodes. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    http://dungeoncrawlernetwork.com/ashes-of-creation-interview/  mark 43:04

QUESTION: Given that there's a karma system in the game, if you're attacking a non-combatant player that's not in a PvP area, you're going to be a baddie, so very red player/blue player/Ultima Online.
    Now with that being said, is this going to extend into some form of stealing system like in ESO for PvE or more like the PvP side in UO, where you could possibly steal resources that a person's carrying or maybe a looted item that's not bound to them in their bag?

STEVEN:  No. There is not a theft mechanic for you to walk up to a player that's alive and allows you to steal something. That's not in the game.

Our flagging mechanic revolves around death penalties in general. Like what kinds of death penalties occur in the game. And, while you cannot delevel from dying, You can accrue negative experience. And this experience debt reflects certain penalties you'll experience from a combat effectiveness both in PvE and in PvP, stat degradation, lowered health and mana, less efficiency in gear equipment and being able to do things.
    The more you accrue, the more difficult it will be for you to perform. Which is why, through death, you need to recover that negative experience.
    And you can do that by continuing to adventure, to do quests, to do practically what you will do in the game.
    But, if you die as a non-combatant, you're going to experience normal death penalty. If you die as a combatant, a person who's involved in PvP, you'll experience less death penalties. If you die as a corrupted player, a person who has murdered a non-combatant. someone that was not participating in PvP with you, then your going to experience 3 or 4 times the death penalty.
    And we want to obviously give players the opportunity to exercise some agency in the open world, but at the same time, there has to be a risk v reward.
    And ig you're going to go around murdering someone, you're going to become completely ineffective over time if you just continue to do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @lexmark
    OK. Thanks again for the source. That provides more context and we can see that Steven was mostly focused on corruption.
    Which doesn't necessarily mean that stat degradation isn't part of the normal death penalty.

I've included more of the dev quote because it doesn't make sense that you could recover negative xp through death. You can reduce your corruption score through death.

You can recover that negative experience "by continuing to adventure, to do quests, to do practically what you will do in the game."
  • Options
    What I gathered in that quote is that statloss is due to corruption not death
  • Options
    @AutumnWillow , Anything can change in that time. But Erosion is a long process - the node would've needed to survive long enough Xp
  • Options

I'm understanding it as all death will lead to negative xp. Death in pvp results in less penalties. The more negative xp you gain, the more the penalties. Regardless of the scenario. 

What's unclear though, is whether Corruption might or might not be a separate stat loss from negative xp.

Perhaps corruption gives you a large chunk of negative xp that keep amassing the more non-combatants you kill, resulting in the degradation of abilities. 
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    @AutumnWillow , Anything can change in that time. But Erosion is a long process - the node would've needed to survive long enough Xp
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? As in the developers can change their mind over time? 

I was just pointing out that based on current info, monsters cannot delevel or destroy nodes. 
  • Options

I'm understanding it as all death will lead to negative xp. Death in pvp results in less penalties. The more negative xp you gain, the more the penalties. Regardless of the scenario. 

What's unclear though, is whether Corruption might or might not be a separate stat loss from negative xp.

Perhaps corruption gives you a large chunk of negative xp that keep amassing the more non-combatants you kill, resulting in the degradation of abilities. 
    Where in the last paragraph he said IG (in game) I took it to mean that the corrupted player is still alive and because of the corruption is becoming less effective, thus that the 'statloss' the corrupt is having is not related to death but to corruption

And that negative exp is a separate mechanic affected by your flag status when you die (eg. non-combatant, combatant, or corrupt)
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    @Dygz , just not Copy&Paste. This Content feels like its going to be randomized everytime the Node is rebuilt. As such, different Places will be explored, different things will be undiscovered, - a few different routes to take in between; not necessarily the same. In addition, the Seasons will make that experience Different too; different "Building Material" might appear as in-game Season/time passes ... and a few other things

It's not really randomized every time the node is rebuilt.
    It might feel that way, though.

The type Divine, Economic, etc will always be the same for the same node.
    As will the regional influences.
    What might change is the racial influences - based on the which race founds the new camp.
    Also, different buildings generate different content.

We'll have to see if resources affects the building of the same node - as in whether we will just be able to use the wood from any trees or whether we will be given tasks to use wood from specific types of trees and specific types of stone to build certain buildings.
    Seems like it seasons wouldn't change the type of wood being used, but might be that the local wood isn't available due to deforestation from the previous harvesting.

But, yeah, several of parameters could be significantly different when a node is rebuilt from Stage 0. Even though some of the parameters will always be the same.
  • Options
    @AutumnWillow , both Xp

• Options
    Eragale said:
    @AutumnWillow , both Xp

Hmm? What's both xp? 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I feel as though end game is once you reach top character level and gear level, all there is left to do is either PVP or RAID (group content). I for one would love to add challenging solo quests as a grind. Meaning have 100's of repeatable and challenging solo quests with nice rewards based on your performance. And I don't only mean go kill a " World Boss Here " kind , but quest chains that lead to a plot and conclusion with a challenging solo able antagonist to kill at the end. Meaning that once you actually finish leveling up from 1 - 60, that's when the true quests start and not through 1- 60.
  • Options
    Valerian said:
     Meaning that once you actually finish leveling up from 1 - 60, that's when the true quests start and not through 1- 60.

Heh heh. This is exactly what some of the posters here are against. Hope you brought a nice big shield. 

That being said, at 50 (or whatever the final cap is), there'll still be a lot to do, you can work on your free hold, start a crafting profession, progress through the many other progression trees that you have, join a developing node to advance it and then help to take down an opposing metropolis.
    There are many other examples that has been shared. 

This, in turn brings about new quests instead of repeatable quests (grind). The main thing of course, is having a good variety of things to do late in the game. 
  • Options
    how about we say the end game is when ashes of creation two comes out ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    how about we say the end game is when ashes of creation two comes out ^^
    I like this
  • Options
    Dygz said:

I read that a destroyed node that is rebuilt is not always the same type.
    In Ashes of Creation, what is built can be destroyed, and Metropolises are no different. But we feel that the effort to destroy something must be equitable with the effort to build something. Because of this, the higher level a Node is, the more difficult and challenging the task of initiating a siege is. That means that sieging a Metropolis will be an act of epic and world shattering proportions. The success or failure of that siege will be written into the history books and likely impact every person on that world. Should it succeed, the Metropolis will be deleveled, or even destroyed, erasing the global benefits that it once provided while at the same time opening up the opportunity for another Node to take its place. Maybe one of a different type, maybe one lead by a tyrant, or maybe none at all.

Source: Node Series Part 2

• Options
    edited June 2017
    lexmax said:
    Dygz said:

I read that a destroyed node that is rebuilt is not always the same type.
    In Ashes of Creation, what is built can be destroyed, and Metropolises are no different. But we feel that the effort to destroy something must be equitable with the effort to build something. Because of this, the higher level a Node is, the more difficult and challenging the task of initiating a siege is. That means that sieging a Metropolis will be an act of epic and world shattering proportions. The success or failure of that siege will be written into the history books and likely impact every person on that world. Should it succeed, the Metropolis will be deleveled, or even destroyed, erasing the global benefits that it once provided while at the same time opening up the opportunity for another Node to take its place. Maybe one of a different type, maybe one lead by a tyrant, or maybe none at all.

Yes, I guess it could just simply because you might get to choose a new node type each time a city levels up. 

I don't think they've shared how node types are chosen or changed yet. Have they? 
  • Options
    I believe that they said it will be predetermined
  • Options
    Yes, I guess it could just simply because you might get to choose a new node type each time a city levels up. 

I don't think they've shared how node types are chosen or changed yet. Have they? 
    From the dev Q&A:

Do players get to choose the type of node it will develop into?

• No, the type of node is predetermined. 

How can players tell what type of node it is they are developing, in case they don’t want to contribute to the growth of a particular node?

• The NPCs will reflect the type of node to expect, even at stage 1. Divine nodes will have preist NPCs, military will have soldiers, Economic will have traders & merchants, and science will have scholars.

• Options
    Thanks @lexmax and @Ninja Shadow for clarifying. 

Haha. Cleared up my misconception real quick. 
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    .Should it succeed, the Metropolis will be deleveled, or even destroyed, erasing the global benefits that it once provided while at the same time opening up the opportunity for another Node to take its place. Maybe one of a different type, maybe one lead by a tyrant, or maybe none at all.

With my understanding of nodes set on the right track, the bold text just means that one node of a different type could rise to the rank of metropolis instead of the deleveled one. 

Not that the rebuilt node changes type. 
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    .Should it succeed, the Metropolis will be deleveled, or even destroyed, erasing the global benefits that it once provided while at the same time opening up the opportunity for another Node to take its place. Maybe one of a different type, maybe one lead by a tyrant, or maybe none at all.

With my understanding of nodes set on the right track, the bold text just means that one node of a different type could rise to the rank of metropolis instead of the deleveled one. 

Not that the rebuilt node changes type. 
    That is insightful indeed!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The main thing of course, is having a good variety of things to do late in the game.

...a variety of good, new content to enjoy all throughout the game, regardless of level. Which should be possible since the world generates new content based on how we interact with nodes as we level and delevel them.
    (that is an agreement for those who may not be able to tell.)  :p
  • Options
    Though one could argue that if you want to cripple node A through leveling, all you need to do is to go to the nearby node B and start leveling there to push it's progression up.
    This brings to mind another question...  Will we be able to easily determine the boundaries of a node in order to execute this sort of plan, or prevent it from happening?  Or might we unwittingly contribute to the node we're trying to impede because we're not aware of the boundaries?
  • Options
    Valerian said:

I for one would love to add challenging solo quests as a grind. Meaning have 100's of repeatable and challenging solo quests with nice rewards based on your performance. And I don't only mean go kill a " World Boss Here " kind , but quest chains that lead to a plot and conclusion with a challenging solo able antagonist to kill at the end. Meaning that once you actually finish leveling up from 1 - 60, that's when the true quests start and not through 1- 60.
    You may be disappointed.  The devs have stated in the live streams that they don't like "grind" and don't intend to have a bunch of repeatable quests for grinding purposes. 

Additionally, while solo activities will be possible, their intent is to design the game for social play more than solo.  They're trying to bring back that aspect of "old school" MMORPGs where players did more together, rather than just having another multiplayer game full of solo players just doing their own thing independently.