Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Information] World PvP

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    memphis said:
    if you reduce significantly the hp of another player and this player die from a creature or anoter player a few moment later do you still recive the corruption?

can you put yourself in front of a non-combattant attack in order to turn him into a combattant and then kill him? (for example rush in a duel betwen member of the same group)

and finally can you run into a fight as a non-combattant with extremly low hp in order to turn a combattant into a corrupted?

This all has low relevance. Let me explain why.

Because game should not hand hold people and protect them against their own carelessness.

Players are SUPPOSED TO look at their own surroundings, be aware and observant.

- just one example, if another player is nearby looking suspicious, DO NOT ENGAGE MOBS near him, if you do and you end up with mobs + player on you its YOUR OWN FAULT

You have to be observant and make tactical choices when to engage mobs and when not to. If you play carelessly then you deserve if you get into trouble, and you can NOT EXPECT game to protect you FROM YOUR OWN MISTAKES by PUNISHING OTHER PLAYERS for your own carelessness.
  • lexmax said:
    There seems to be a little confusion about how the PvP flagging system works in Ashes. To help dispel any potential misunderstandings I've produced a diagram that describes the basic flagging mechanics.
    Looks just like what Lineage II did with their PvP system. I think it's a good system, makes for interesting gameplay.
  • Yes system (as it stands now) is designed to protect care bears...
    There is not nearly enough incentive to stay flagged.
  • We have the right to (care)bear arms. 
    Image result for carebears gif
  • This style of PvP system can actually make for very fun and exciting open-world pvp. There will always be those individuals that like to poke the bear.  Get a group of friends together and cause havoc, example: you and 4 buddies get together and run around the map looking for other players to flag. Follow them around a bit, hitting them (not killing) and becoming a combatant (now your flagged for pvp), as a result this may incite the other player to fight back and flag themselves for pvp. Now, remember that you started this adventure with your buddies sitting around the corner?  This is were they come into play.

This system doesn't protect "carebears" in any manner, nor should those less inclined to partake in PvP forced to do so. This system makes for a good medium between PvE/PvP when used to the best of it's potential.
    edited February 2018
    Think be better if someone had the option to flag themselves as non pvper and never get ganked. And get rid of corruption system.   Could be system mechanic were you have to be in your own node to flag and unflag.  That way preventing someone from ganking you and then going non pvp. 

Do not see the value of toons attacking people in their own node.  Nodes are a kind of like a faction. 

Really Do not see the value of having the ability to attack someone x amount lower  levels than yourself. Depending on how it scales.  So Do not think toons should be allowed to to attack lets say someone ten levels lower than yourself. 

What is the point of  being punished for ganking a low level when you could prevent it entirely.  I will go up against other  max level toons all day make a list get a group hunt them down. Make rivals.  That is pvp. I do not see any positives to ganking low level toons just upsets low level toon cause they have no chance to win.  No risk or reward just getting ganked.  

Picture the scene. Each node has a hierarchy of rulers that have a job to do. Say assassinating them sacks them for a period of time and/or forces their replacement. You are from a competing node, and think this person is just doing too damn good a job and hindering your own nodes progress.

Picture another scene. Part of the siege mechanic is to go on and steal something which will involve you taking out other players in the other node while trying hard to stay alive and achieve your objective.

If you say...this person is immune from PvP and they occupy a position of office or happen to own the thing that needs stealing.....the above two scenarios cant work.

So corruption allows assassination when critical to gameplay without allowing homicidal rampage of your typical PvP scrub. The while idea of the high price of murder is that it isnt a price worth paying unless as part of a greater scheme at work.

As said. Full on PvP areas have no corruption system to protect you anyway.

It would be nice t ensure that corruption does however still carry over into the true combat zone with you and doesnt simply vanish.
  • We have the right to (care)bear arms. 
    Image result for carebears gif
    Kill them with kindness eh... I like it. 
  • Thanks for writing all of this up, it helped to explain what was going on and what to expect! 
  • Lowbie gankers will never understand or admit their own shortcomings just like they will never know the glorious feeling of  that larger opponent hitting the canvas.
  • Savvy6 said:
    lexmax said:
    There seems to be a little confusion about how the PvP flagging system works in Ashes. To help dispel any potential misunderstandings I've produced a diagram that describes the basic flagging mechanics.
    Looks just like what Lineage II did with their PvP system. I think it's a good system, makes for interesting gameplay.
    Yeah, so if a corrupted attacked by a non-combatant, the corrupted either not defend himself and die, or get more punishiment. What a well deseigned nice system...
  • MADE said:
    Yeah, so if a corrupted attacked by a non-combatant, the corrupted either not defend himself and die, or get more punishiment. What a well deseigned nice system...

People should really get flagged, regardless of who you attack...

I'd say that you should even get flagged when attacking NPCs, if those NPCs are affiliated with a node, and since they live in node zone they should be.

Why should one have to look someone attack NPCs in his node, and not be able to attack him to defend these NPCs? Or get corruption if he attacks...
  • Helpful Information, but the Youtube links aren't working for some reason (They might have removed the videos).
  • Helpful Information, but the Youtube links aren't working for some reason (They might have removed the videos).
    Yes this post was written a long time ago. There is much more detail available in the wikis:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/PvP
    http://www.aocwiki.net/PvP
  • I LOVE THE FLAGGING SYSTEM YES!!!! Its exactly like Lineage II, this is gonna be sick
  • Rune rleic stated some examples however I am not talking about node versus node are castle vs castle or we have to kill said leader as an objective.  Flagging an entire server for pvp is not the solution for that.  I am talking about what people call open world pvp but just to simplify it.  The anyone can attack anyone at any time (already have some excepptions guildies, raid group, group, alliances like let say thieves guild.

All of what you said could happen without the everyone can attack every one game mechanic.  Could describe that type of pvp in one word zerging.   What the point of winning cause of sheer numbers or ambushing someone at low health.  

Some one else said something about being aware well that is great when there is factions or if ther are not a whole lot of people around.  With that type of thinking well you really should only go out and about in the world when no one else is around so you will not get ganked might as well have the whole server to yourself.  Sounds more like a Single online role playing game.  

I want to know what value is there in open world pvp.  I am doing a daily grinding some gear doing some quest. On my way to a dungeoun what is the value of some one ganking me at low health or while I am looking through my inventory.  

There is not that is why They have the corruption system in the first place to hinder ganking not pvp.  It is an anti-cheapshot mechanism.  

Thing is there will be very little pvp or ganking cause when you die in pvp you lose resources so in order to avoid that you would have to win every time highly unlikely.
    So basically like or not it is going to be a pve server because of that.  

Who is going to go out and pvp when they know it is going to cost them something. I mean even good players die.  So it is going to basically be a pve server cause of resource loss.  The whole curruption system is pointless.  

No corruption system still equals pve server cause who is going to pay to pvp.
    Who is going to go out and lose resources just to do open world pvp. For the most part most of the posts on this thread are pointless.    

I think people will go to pvp zones and do arenas before doing open world pvp and lose resources needlessly.   However from what I understand you will lose resources in pvp zones also just not get corrupted so......

Are you guys getting this pvp = resource loss so..does not matter how it happens....who wants that? There was no ganking in lineage I am sure but it was not because of the corruption system.  Just no one wants to steadily lose resources that is all.  This makes Ashes of Creation of PVE game.  

You guys are talking about the corruption and it does not even have any bearing.  Cause well when you die in pvp no matter what color you are guess what happens you lose resources.   Win loss records for some of best teams in the world are about 60 to 75% And 75% is like the exception most of them are below 70 percent.  So you are going to lose resources for pvping   

Who is going to go pvp all day and watch their resources slowly diminish.   Not to many so all severs will be PVE servers.

• You know there are banks right? You don't keep your resources in your inventory.
  • You know there are banks right? You don't keep your resources in your inventory.
    I think that's relevant when PvPing in the open world where people have been gathering or transporting resources around in their inventory. Or the people who have ganked said gatherers and are making their way back to their freehold or node bank.
  • lexmax said:
    You know there are banks right? You don't keep your resources in your inventory.
    I think that's relevant when PvPing in the open world where people have been gathering or transporting resources around in their inventory. Or the people who have ganked said gatherers and are making their way back to their freehold or node bank.
    Yea, reading @Consultant post, i was under the impression that they thought no one would ever pvp because they are always risking resources. It sounded like they think people would always keep their resources on them instead of banking them. 
  • lexmax said:
    You know there are banks right? You don't keep your resources in your inventory.
    Yea, reading @Consultant post, i was under the impression that they thought no one would ever pvp because they are always risking resources. It sounded like they think people would always keep their resources on them instead of banking them. 
    You are right. He claims at the post that no one will gank because fear of loose resources. Must be kind of stupid ganker if you gather at the same time. Also restrictions to open world PvP are there so people can't just run all over zones in killing spree. Idea is that ganker needs to think when to stop and return to city and bank before you will loose too much. 
    edited April 2018
    Rune rleic stated some examples however I am not talking about node versus node are castle vs castle or we have to kill said leader as an objective.  Flagging an entire server for pvp is not the solution for that.  I am talking about what people call open world pvp but just to simplify it.  The anyone can attack anyone at any time (already have some excepptions guildies, raid group, group, alliances like let say thieves guild.

All of what you said could happen without the everyone can attack every one game mechanic.  Could describe that type of pvp in one word zerging.   What the point of winning cause of sheer numbers or ambushing someone at low health.  

Some one else said something about being aware well that is great when there is factions or if ther are not a whole lot of people around.  With that type of thinking well you really should only go out and about in the world when no one else is around so you will not get ganked might as well have the whole server to yourself.  Sounds more like a Single online role playing game.  

I want to know what value is there in open world pvp.  I am doing a daily grinding some gear doing some quest. On my way to a dungeoun what is the value of some one ganking me at low health or while I am looking through my inventory.  

There is not that is why They have the corruption system in the first place to hinder ganking not pvp.  It is an anti-cheapshot mechanism.  

Thing is there will be very little pvp or ganking cause when you die in pvp you lose resources so in order to avoid that you would have to win every time highly unlikely.
    So basically like or not it is going to be a pve server because of that.  

Who is going to go out and pvp when they know it is going to cost them something. I mean even good players die.  So it is going to basically be a pve server cause of resource loss.  The whole curruption system is pointless.  

No corruption system still equals pve server cause who is going to pay to pvp.
    Who is going to go out and lose resources just to do open world pvp. For the most part most of the posts on this thread are pointless.    

I think people will go to pvp zones and do arenas before doing open world pvp and lose resources needlessly.   However from what I understand you will lose resources in pvp zones also just not get corrupted so......

Are you guys getting this pvp = resource loss so..does not matter how it happens....who wants that? There was no ganking in lineage I am sure but it was not because of the corruption system.  Just no one wants to steadily lose resources that is all.  This makes Ashes of Creation of PVE game.  

You guys are talking about the corruption and it does not even have any bearing.  Cause well when you die in pvp no matter what color you are guess what happens you lose resources.   Win loss records for some of best teams in the world are about 60 to 75% And 75% is like the exception most of them are below 70 percent.  So you are going to lose resources for pvping   

Who is going to go pvp all day and watch their resources slowly diminish.   Not to many so all severs will be PVE servers.

Yes PvP = Resource loss......that what the caravan system is. Supply lines.

You are interested in attacking players for the sake of attacking players.
    The game is designed to attack players to achieve an objective.
    Resources are gained through the caravan system.
    That is the sole purpose for its existance.
    They could have simply magicked the materials from node 1 to node 2.
  • Hi,

1. There's one thing I don't really understand (if it's like in the pictures):
    - why a green player attacking a corrupt player doesn't become a combatant? So, if the greeny loses(which is very likely since he was attacked by surprise in most cases), he gets to drop more resources while being at a disadvantage from the start. This is wrong in my opinion.

2. What about the people that are going to spend their time trying to make others attack them so they don't become corrupt (and can still kill the others)? Like walking into your AOEs, or going between the mobs that you are fighting, etc.

You might say that you need to pay close attention to your surroundings and not attack mobs when someone else is around. Then what does the game become? "RPG wait for everyone to clear an area so I can kill mobs" ? You guys do realize that there are going to be people doing just that - staying around so that no one could PVE in peace. What happens when whole guilds start doing that? :neutral:

3. Do you think mitigating the surprise attack from a player should be a thing? (e.g. immunity for 2-3 seconds after the first hit, a life shield of twice the hit points of the hits you got in the first few seconds, a warning that someone is targeting you and getting closer, etc).

Every time someone attacks you by surprise, the chances of you winning are going to be low (it's like the first player advantage in many other games). Probably a hard limit on level difference should be imposed too (e.g. you cannot attack someone at least 5 levels below you, but can retaliate against anyone). Really hate these forced limitations, yet I don't see something better to compensate for some abuses (e.g. you fighting a low level corrupted player that attacked you, then his very high level friend "destealthing" and killing you in one shot).

I do hope, though, that the ratio between damage done by abilities and general health pools is not going to be high... Otherwise you could be killed in 2-3 attacks and not understand what happened to you :disappointed:

4. How will I know if I have any chance of winning a fight with someone who attacked me? I believe this is really important. Losing twice the resources is not something to be ignored... but the question is actually different:  can I win the fight OR can I escape without losing anything? Having no way to make an informed decision about this is quite annoying.

I do have one idea though (considering that the player's level alone is not going to influence the fight that much): an icon near each player's name/health bar, with colored thick borders, that shows how "dangerous" they are to you. Corruption should take this into account.

• Green = player's level and/or gear level is way below yours; Corruption gain  for him = 1/4 of the amount required to get to the first/next threshold;
    • Yellow = level/gear is below yours, but he can win if you're not careful; Corruption gain = 1/2;
    • White/gray = equal levels/gear or very close by; Corruption gain = 1;
    • Orange = better levels/gear, but you can win if he does a lot of mistakes; Corruption gain = 1.5;
    • Red = much better levels/gear, yet you have a small chance to win in very specific cases; Corruption gain = 2;
    • Black = you cannot win unless he doesn't attack you at all; Corruption gain = 2.5;

Not sure if it's a good idea, but I do believe we need this kind of information.

• Ferryman said:
    lexmax said:
    You are right. He claims at the post that no one will gank because fear of loose resources. Must be kind of stupid ganker if you gather at the same time. Also restrictions to open world PvP are there so people can't just run all over zones in killing spree. Idea is that ganker needs to think when to stop and return to city and bank before you will loose too much. 
    Exactly, nothing is black and white here, this system is honestly a great way to appeal to both sides. There are a ton of players who love to PK, and some that dont like fighting. With this system I can see PKers have to make more logical choices on why they are going to kill someone, otherwise they risk punishment by the system. Makes complete sense. People who dont PK get punished by the system much less then the corrupted. Do not see what everyone is so on edge about here lol
  • I For 1 Love the System
    edited June 2018
    I think open world pvp and fighting over best spots ect. are very important factors of every good pvx game. U need to balance pve and pvp not just punishing for pvp in open world.. 
    I think I will create new post with my ideas to balance it better (im consulting it with my guild right now) - changes so every side could be satisfied. Right now PvP players are clearly unsatified.. and pve players are way too priviliged. Many players are afraid that open world pvp will die out.. devs just cant let that happen!
  • Szejm said:
    I think open world pvp and fighting over best spots ect. are very important factors of every good pvx game. U need to balance pve and pvp not just punishing for pvp in open world.. 
    I think I will create new post with my ideas to balance it better (im consulting it with my guild right now) - changes so every side could be satisfied. Right now PvP players are clearly unsatified.. and pve players are way too priviliged. Many players are afraid that open world pvp will die out.. devs just cant let that happen!
    It might look that way but it's hard to tell how it all will be balanced atm. We don't know how much corruption score is needed to hit the gear drop penalty and how much the a player will be weakened by one non-combatant death. We also don't have details on how much materials are dropped on a non-combatant death.  

Looking at the system, you can tell it's there to encourage a fight in situations where there is something valuable to fight for, like a high value spawn or resources. Have a little faith it will be balanced as such.  
  • Well ther is no incentive for open world pvp . Caravans and battle grounds do not fall into  world pvp they are zone pvp meaning    you have a choice so that post about  caravans is not relevant cause no  corruption is incurred.  

Possible rewards ( think no type of this quest will be in game but....) Titles,  achievmensts for like number of dwarves elves,  or  toon from this faction in the open world.  In other words there could be and  open world  pvp game in which right now we have a corruption system with bounty hunters.

Battle grounds is a pvp game (game withing a game)

Fighting for resources is a pvp game(Caravans)

But as far as open world pvp   (pvp while out exploring the world  it is going to be basically non existent.)  as it is right now it is just basically  killing people for the sake of killing people.  But if there were incentives   involved     like  games that are entirely dedicated to  open world pvp like let say battle star galactica then Ashes of Creation would have   open world pvp game.  And if Ashes of Creation allowed toons to flagg themselves for pvp and be part of that open world pvp game then players would have a choice.

Right now  there is no open world pvp.  which is something that many people  enjoy.
    Making a box and flagging every one for pvp then punishing them  if they attack some one in the open world (not battleghround or caravans )  well might as well just unflagg everyone for  pvp in the open world pvp.  

So people will get ganked  people  will go red   and bounty hunter  comes along   and that is what open world pvp is in Ashes of Creation  when it could be much more remember there are lots of popular games that are  dedicated just to this type of play.

Ashes of Creation does not even have red vs bounty hunter.  I  mean  they will see you  on  thier map but anyone  within view  that can see you (most likely will since it is an mmo) can just kill.    So  bouny hunters are not even necessary.

So it is more like kill  some one   go  red some one kills  you  Cannot defend unless it is a bounty hunter or situation gets worst.    So really it is red vs green.  

• Well ther is no incentive for open world pvp . Caravans and battle grounds do not fall into  world pvp they are zone pvp meaning    you have a choice so that post about  caravans is not relevant cause no  corruption is incurred.  

But as far as open world pvp   (pvp while out exploring the world  it is going to be basically non existent.) 
    Lol. Thanks god I'm not the only one.  :dizzy:
    If devs want open world pvp in this game(they stated they want it) some changes must be made. 

edited July 2018
    Szejm said:
    Well ther is no incentive for open world pvp . Caravans and battle grounds do not fall into  world pvp they are zone pvp meaning    you have a choice so that post about  caravans is not relevant cause no  corruption is incurred.  

But as far as open world pvp   (pvp while out exploring the world  it is going to be basically non existent.) 
    Lol. Thanks god I'm not the only one.  :dizzy:
    If devs want open world pvp in this game(they stated they want it) some changes must be made. 

Lets look at developer quotes on this, shall we?

"Now, with regards to griefing - you're not going to see griefing in the game very often. And that's because our flagging system, the corruption mechanics, are based around disincentive-izing a griefer, or PK'er - but still offering the opportunity should the occasion arise where the benefits outweigh the risk, you have the ability to do so.

Now, corruption, if you gain corruption, which is killing a non-combatant - a player which is not fighting back, basically - if you gain that corruption, your world has changed. It's not going to be a very beneficial place to be. You going to have the potential of losing your gear, your combat efficacy decreases based on the amount of corruption you accrue. So, it is a comfortable balance between player agency - and griefing removing player agency from players."
    Now, Intrepid want PvP to be important to the game, and that is why they have sieges and caravans. However, they are also allowing corruption based PvP with the intent that it only really be used *should the occasion arise where the benefits outweigh the risk*.

These aren't the words of a developer that specifically wants open world PvP. These are the worlds of a developer that is allowing for open world PvP, but is actively discouraging it.

Conveniently, that is also how their system is designed. It allows for open world PvP, but discourages it.
  • As an avid PvPer and the occasional PKer some of these rules I am not too excited for. I don't typically engage in open slaughter and spawn killing except for special cases but when I need to defend  a rotation from a player strolling into my rotation and words don't seem to work I let my sword do the talking. Black Desert Online had a karma system that kinda worked but had its flaws and ways to exploit the system. I can easily see how this current corruption system is no different in many ways to exploit the PKers to get what you want. Is there also no consequence to the player getting murdered besides just having to run back to your body? I loved ArcheAge's infamy system, trial and jail. I just want an equal unbiased system the offers high risk and reward as well as justified punishment that can't be so easily exploited to get what you want.

Player corruption

• A player’s corruption score increases with each non-combatant player killed. (Could care less if they fight back or not and easily exploitable. If they aren't leaving my rotation and words aren't working, they are going to the graveyard)

• The wider the level disparity between the players the more corruption will be gained. (I can agree with this but again exploitable. I.e. a high level is solo grinding a rotation and a group of lower levels come in looking for a challenge but decide to disregard the requests of the higher level player to grind elsewhere. High level player can either leave or flag on the group. He flags, kills the group because the group expected this to happen and does not fight back. High level player is now red and higher corruption gained. There is no protection against corruption bombing a player except to not flag and turn the cheek right? Fuck that noise. I get to do that shit in IRL but this is a game and I'm not interested in getting bullied or pushed out of my rotation because some player(s) don't feel like it and would rather use a flawed system to hide behind and abuse)

• The higher the corruption score, the higher drop percentage when the corrupted player is killed (see Player death below). (Get rid of this. If anything should drop it should be items in their bag and not what's equipped. On the reverse side if this is happening to the corrupted player then it is only fair the corrupt player gains a higher chance to loot items from his victims)

• The higher the corruption score, the more skill and stat dampening applies, until the corrupt player ultimately becomes ineffective at combat. (This is just insane. Horrible idea. Remove so bounty hunters get to work for their bounty)

• Corruption is removed through death. Multiple deaths may be necessary to remove all corruption. There may be other mechanics to reduce corruption. (Killing monsters, turning in quests, or completing specific quests designed to lower corruption should absolve corruption. Not death. That's too easy)

• Corruption has a visible effect on a player’s appearance. (Cool idea and give them a small aura or glow effect. The higher the corruption the bigger the aura. Start with a small gray or black glow/fog around or above the player and gradually move to a red and black sinister aura they emminates around them)

• A corrupt player’s location is revealed to bounty hunters. (Not sure on the distance but instead of an icon on the map just let the bounty hunter be able to see bloodstains on the ground and bloody footprints trail off towards the murder and allow them to see the corruption effect on players easier and farther away. Hard to miss a red player) 

• Corruption duration is reduced in military nodes. (Should also apply this to caravans as well and reduce the corruption gained)

edited July 2018
    TL;DR Working as intended.

If people are pissed off about the penalties, then they are hitting the sweet spot of a deterrent. Also some of the information has changed and is quoted out of context. For example: 

"Corruption duration is reduced in military nodes. (Should also apply this to caravans as well and reduce the corruption gained)"

Corruption does not tick down and can only be removed through death to another player or through a quest mechanic that has yet to be clarified. You will not be sitting somewhere safe (freehold) and waiting for your timer to tick off. Caravans would not have corruption attached to them in any case. By choosing Attack or Defend you are flagged for combat when entering the moving "bubble" that surrounds an active caravan, either npc or player controlled.
    The quote of "Yes" was during a Q&A on Discord where Steven got on and was just answering anything and everything back on 4/22/17. His multiple statements after that show that the system has evolved and gotten tighter since then.

Vardoric-04/22/2017

@Steven Reduced time having the corrupt debuff in a military node? 
    Get that pvp pumping

Oberon-04/22/2017

@Steven Can you speak at all as to how the look of a Node will be effected? Like, what controls the architectural design of it if say one group wants a more Egyptian style Node versus a group who wants a Northern European one?

HelzBelz-04/22/2017

@Frederik 🦆 Thanks man

Alexander-04/22/2017

The new node explanation is much interesting but also many new questions  Like military node also influences everything, well a lot questions here! About the node being potentially destroyed when attacked, is pretty nice.

Steven-04/22/2017

@Delve Dragons are unique mounts that have wide ranging impact in open world pvp, and are only granted to the mayors of metropolises and the kings/queens of Castles

JenikVogl-04/22/2017

@Steven I want to say thanks for making such an ambitious game. But i have one concern about metropolises not changing in a sufficient frequency because of rich and powerful groups of people overruling new players. Have any idea about it?

Vintersol "The Dungeon"-04/22/2017

@Steven Dont know if you have said this but what type is the metropolis in the video?

Rainah-04/22/2017

@Steven What's your favorite food? 

Steven-04/22/2017

Vardoric-04/22/2017

Awwh yeah

Not Delve-04/22/2017

@Steven , I mean pictures damnit!

But here is the one all nice and compact that gives everyone their "See! See! He said it has a timer!! Cause it counts down!!"