Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is the most important aspect of an MMORPG, for you, that you want Ashes of Creation to execute?

Comments

• Options
    PVP. it has to have a really well implemented PVP. PVP is the only reason I play MMOs.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    I think I agree with a lot of what most have already posted.  Make it challenging, let me have to work for what I want so I know I earned it.  The accomplishment factor is huge, have an amazing achievement system in place so I don't get bored.  Make crafting long and committed in order to complete.  Then have the endgame craftables amazing but not better than raid gear, however could be put into an endgame setup.  Have a reason for multiple characters, everyone will have a main but like diversity.  Wow did well with this in regards to 2 professions per character.  Make the talent trees highly customizable and in depth so you have to play around with your character in order to find the best setup for your game play style.
  • Options
    I never really liked daily quests.

Even if they are short and easy, quick to do. They just give me a feeling of a "chore", something I "have to" do every day.
  • Options
    PVP and being able to steal peoples stuff because that's one thing that no game seems to get right since you have so many people that cry about how they get their stuff stolen yet a good number of people come into a mmorpg and decide to play the RPG single player version of a MMO. Consoles are still alive for a reason if you didn't want to make friends interact and join a guild you could play final fantasy or something. I really hate watered down pvp without any incentives for it. Honestly it ruins games to have pvp with heavy restrictions. That's really what ruined archeage for me. They kept taking features out because people kept complaining that the pvp wasn't "fair" even when stealing trade packs still netted people a portion of the trade pack money. So as it got more strict and things taken away the community got smaller and smaller and the point of pvp started to die.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    I never really liked daily quests.

Even if they are short and easy, quick to do. They just give me a feeling of a "chore", something I "have to" do every day.
    The true reason for daily quests is to help newer players get a foot in the door on what they want to do, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Daily/weekly/whatever quests or cooldowns always had one annoying aspect to me: They didn't stack. It felt like a ruse to force you to be there and then. If you were away for a week that was 7 chances you'll never get back. I'm not saying it has to stack linearly - you should definitely get something for being there every time - but perhaps something like gradually fading to 50%(feel free to suggest a number) accumulated; after two weeks not logging in I would still have 7 daily transmutes backlogged when I do.
  • Options
    Make me think.  Make the world feel real to me.  If its winter and there is snow on the ground, the grass is dead, meaning the heard of deer i need to kill for pelts and meat has probably migrated to a warmer location for food, and i Want to have to go searching for them. Make animal migration tie into the seasons.
         No static spawn points.  Make it random, make me search for what I need.  Make me ask for help if I need it, rather than hand me everything or lead me right to it with a glowing trail of light.
         I want to be randomly mining a mithril node and have a local tribe of (whatever) decide it wants the ore to make their own weapons and have them attack and camp the mine until players come together and fight them off and claim it back for our own.
        If I harvest a tree, let it grow back over a period of 1 or 2 days IRL before it can be harvested again.
        Spell particle effects:  Give us a color slider to change the color.  2 clerics casting Shield...one is gold, and maybe the other is a dark purple....same spell, and effects but customize the particle color.  Would be awesome for RP.
        Awesome posts here, great ideas!
  • Options
    This is easy, sort of. Immersion.If you can do that, the rest of the game only needs to work. 
  • Options
    I want to see some sick super hard raid!
    continuing on @Ghostaurens post:

not just hard where bosses are overpowered and too linear with your gear tier, but hard with respect to diverse mechanics, puzzles and dynamic boss fights. Echo of Soul type of raids.

A fluid movement system, coupled with awesome skill animations. Dynamic character skills/spells with excellent gear system and stat development.
  • Options
    good anti cheat and anti bot system to force people to grind manually
  • Options
    Roztropek said:
    good anti cheat and anti bot system to force people to grind manually
    Don't be modest man! Let's hope for no grind! :p
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone else has put this, I didn't feel up to reading all 167 comments. Some were walls of words.

Pets.

Rappelz, was the one that ruined me for all other pets. Each pet had a base start, and their stats were static base. However there were an entire skill tree for them. Each level gained 1 skill point. Which you would use to purchase and level attack/defense/healing skills according to the pet. Then there were passives to increase Hp, Mp, Atk, Def, Mag, Mag Def. All pets evolved at levels 50 and 80. However you could overlevel them 10 more levels before evolving to unlock base stat passives to increase by +1 per level to a max of 10. Each level for those 10 levels gave you 2 points, not one. There was NEVER enough points to max everything so each person would pick and choose what they wanted, how high in levels they wanted it.

The pets themselves  were tier'd. T1 -> T7. Basic pets were semi-decent, Tier 7 pets were as strong or stronger than players. As strong for ordinary classes. Warriors. Mages, Healers, Assasins. However, the pet class turned Decent and Powerful pets into mighty beasts and a T7 in the hands of a Pet class was ungodly powerful. This was balanced by the pet class only having a very few of their own attack skills. So in pvp the other classes would tend to ignore the pets to go for the tamer as fast as possible.

I challenged myself. There were 3 types of basic pets. The all rounder Wild Cat, the Tanky Turtle and the Dps Chicken (Yup, a clucker). I took that chicken and focused on defensive and Agro+ skills on the bird then reinforced it with my Tamer and turned the glass bird into a Tank, able to hold agro whenever the main tank was downed or additional agro was suddenly on us. 

I want an in depth pet system that would give me plenty of leeway to make each and every pet I get nurtured and trained to be like I want. Not  into a Dime-a-Dozen pack of mediocre graphic dps models.

• Options
    I don't know if anyone else has put this, I didn't feel up to reading all 167 comments. Some were walls of words.

That's ok. I didn't read your comment also.  :D
  • Options
    Gothix said:

That's ok. I didn't read your comment also.  :D
    Yea, after I finished writing I was like "Damn, made my own wall of words."
  • Options
    The most important thing for me is how the studio will deal with end game or how they will keep us "entertained" before a new update comes out, because I'm not a huge fan of doing the same dungeons over and over again. However from everything that I'm hearing about what they will implement into the game I don't think it will be much of an issue ! 
  • Options
    There's just too many things that are important to the makeup of an MMO to just pick one.  A good MMO needs to be a synthesis where the total is greater than the sum of it's component parts.

Community - As others have said, a good community can elevate an average MMO but a bad community can destroy a good one.  Too many MMOs these days suffer from TCS (Toxic Community Syndrome).

Story - There needs to be a good overarching story to bind the world together.  Otherwise the game has no real meaning and my character doesn't really know where he fits into the world.  That's what the lore is for.  To help you understand the world around you and where you fit in it.

Character Advancement - As I move farther into the world my character needs to advance in meaningful ways to reflect that.  Not just an increase in stats or HP but in ways that shows he's seen more and done more.

Housing - Different types for different budgets and different interest levels.

Crafting - Needs to be involved and have at least some degree of interdependence.

Adventuring\Exploring - Needs to be fun, with various types of adventures to be had and should be tied into the lore (to some extent).

Fun stuff - There needs to be things to do that don't really have anything to do with the overarching story or even character advancement.  They're just fun and something to do when you just want to log in and play without really trying to accomplish something that is part of the greater scheme of the world.  Puzzles, collections, etc.  All ur shinies r mine!!

An MMO that can manage to do better than average on these building blocks will be around for a long long time.
  • Options
    Tank shields the size of a door! do we really need anything more ?  :D
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The most important thing for me is to have discontinued items that act as status symbols for wealthy players and protect against inflation over time.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I have read some comments (not all :p ) and haven't seen any reference to what makes me play BDO, despite some major flaws : COMBAT SYSTEM. must be fluid and dynamic. The last video makes me feel a little bit concerned for this aspect of the game...
  • Options
    The most important thing for me is to have discontinued items that act as status symbols for wealthy players and protect against inflation over time.

One of the things I like in EQ2 was that you could take some of your hard-to-acquire epic pieces and mount them and use them as decorations in your home.  I can remember mounting my Journeyman's Boots and my Bone-Bladed Claymore in my home after I had out-leveled them. 

I would like to see something like this in AoC.  It allows you to preserve a bit of your characters past in a form that visitors can see when they stop by. 
  • Options
    To make the game fun and challenging. The game environment should not be like a second job, were your forced to login to do stuff. Dailies to me are content staved mechanics you get sick of them quickly.
  • Options

Hard raids or bosses are great but make it easy for players to group up. Just because we are not in a guild does not mean 20 of us cannot group.  Swtor, Lotro both made grouping pretty easy and it kept me playing for a long time.

• Options
    Pwrhngry said:

Hard raids or bosses are great but make it easy for players to group up. Just because we are not in a guild does not mean 20 of us cannot group.  Swtor, Lotro both made grouping pretty easy and it kept me playing for a long time.

Yep yep Swtor made it super easy, the problem was that players were mostly random and if 1 person left the party it was pretty much over most of the time.
  • Options
    Player driven events are the most important. No one remembers anything in an mmo that wasn't player driven. Things like discovering the bug which wiped out entire citys in wow or a particularly famous orc rogue ganker stay with us way longer than wows latest themepark ride you hop on in town through the dungeon finder.

You need to force players to explore the world. You need to force them to communicate and interacte, force them to deal with hardships like gankers. Thats how you get the experience only mmos can bring. People will tell you they hate these things, but time has shown that it keeps players and makes them hungry for more. Its what built wow into the phenomena it was (kind of still is). Its what makes people still play spreedsheet EVE. They are chasing the amazing feeling it is to make history in a virtual world. 

This is what I want.
  • Options
    I like a long time to reach endlevel. High Equip have hard to get too. 
    So i think that developer have enough time to put new content into the game when the most players are in "endgame". 

Next i think, there should be no space for gold-sellers and hacker.Then there should be servers with high population. Maybe 1 EU 1NA etc.
  • Options
    1. Trading/Crafting needs to be a in-depth mechanic, i see alot of games just scraping the surface of what i could be (example: only 1 of the crafting professions is needed for any 1 given item). It would be more engaging for the community if you had, say a villager A needing a wooden shield with metal ties on it. instead of just having the wood smith do the hole thing, it should be the wood craftsman hands it off to the metal smith to finish off the metal ties thus finishing the shield (step 1 then step 2). its rarely seen in games that have even the slightest bit of crafting.

2. Guilds. in a lot of games guilds are basically not important at all. you can play the game virtually all by yourself not needing anyone else. If there is a guild system, it should be capitalized on (example: hunting missions -monster or food based-, citizens could "pay" for guilds to send out guild members who in turn get payed by the guild). special items could be bought from guilds or even a in guild bulletin board for trader/craftsmen to "advertise", this could also incorporate guild missions in the same fashion.
  • Options
    Let me play a ranger thief combo.  I wanna stealth, I wanna take things from people's bags, and I wanna pew pew when they catch me.
  • Options
    Locos said:
    Let me play a ranger thief combo.  I wanna stealth, I wanna take things from people's bags, and I wanna pew pew when they catch me.
    You can play ranger/thief. Realize that secondary archetype adds "flavor" to primary archetype abilities. So that combo may allow you to add a short stealth augment to an ability, you will not have full range of stealth that the primary archetype of thief provides. There is no plan for pickpocketing or mechanics that allow to steal from either players or npcs. Not to say they couldn't add it a couple years down the road. Just not part of the development plan so far, and they have tons of other promises to keep before they will think about adding new stretch goals/mechanics.

• Options
    PVP
  • Options
    Locos said:
    You can play ranger/thief. Realize that secondary archetype adds "flavor" to primary archetype abilities. So that combo may allow you to add a short stealth augment to an ability, you will not have full range of stealth that the primary archetype of thief provides. There is no plan for pickpocketing or mechanics that allow to steal from either players or npcs. Not to say they couldn't add it a couple years down the road. Just not part of the development plan so far, and they have tons of other promises to keep before they will think about adding new stretch goals/mechanics.

That's true, the archetype system already allows for huge flexibilty in regards to classes, who knows if they will anounce some theif related quests in the future.