Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How many ACTIVE Skills would you prefer for ASHES of CrEATION ?!?

Comments

• Options
    10 skills is more than enough to have running in the background. I have never played a game with any more than that.
  • Options
    One of the things that quickly bores me in WoW is the shrinking number of abilities to use.

I play a Paladin (tank) in FF14.  I have two combos that I use frequently, which is 5-6 skills, depending on a few factors.  Outside of those 6 skills, I have another 8-12 that I use a bit less frequently.  Those additional 8-12 are largely situational, but they get used fairly often, especially in groups.  There are another 5 or so skills that can be used in OSH!T moments.

I like this variety of abilities.  I don't get bored with this.  I've always got something to press, something to do.
  • Options
    Relwoh said:
    10 skills is more than enough to have running in the background. I have never played a game with any more than that.
    ahh ok u are more the brain afk player :D

Cazz said:
    One of the things that quickly bores me in WoW is the shrinking number of abilities to use.

I play a Paladin (tank) in FF14.  I have two combos that I use frequently, which is 5-6 skills, depending on a few factors.  Outside of those 6 skills, I have another 8-12 that I use a bit less frequently.  Those additional 8-12 are largely situational, but they get used fairly often, especially in groups.  There are another 5 or so skills that can be used in OSH!T moments.

I like this variety of abilities.  I don't get bored with this.  I've always got something to press, something to do.
    im totally with u ... 
    i like  being able to react to different situations... 
    but with just ~ 10 active skills u always need a new build for every situation ...
    and 5 regular smashing buttons and 5 longer CD buttons ... is getting boring after awhile .. spending 90% of the time pressing 1-5  ...hmmmpf

• Options
    what do the new p. think ? 
  • Options
    Some where between 10 - 12 active skills from class abilities and maybe 5-8 for scrolls or potions for emergencies.
  • Options
    Once you start going past 10, skills start becoming "Use all long cooldown ones then spam low cooldown"  

Should be multiple skills for multiple situations. 10 is fine.
  • Options
    i would like to get 10 skills active on my Screen but maybe if you know what the enemies is about to Play that you can Change easy examble if you got 10 wind skills and you know your enemie will be fire you can Change to some water skills
  • Options
    I sexually identify as skill.
  • Options
    10... let me master the skills i have. Getting tooooo old to master 30
  • Options
    Uao said:
    @Morashtak
    solo and multiplayer is completly independent from amount of skills, wow indeed had a problem with lack of unique ideas but ashes has another game design that makes it easier for unique skills. They want you to be abel to choose action combat skills and tab target skills - that increases the ideas for possible skills by a huge degree and provides unique skills even with big skill pool.

@Dygz
    One will always be abel to spam abilitys if you loosen the semantics of the word 'spam' a little. In fact its easier to literally spam something when theres less choice.

I dont know how 1242955257000000 times! more options could result in less time to create the build. (80 total+40 active vs 30 total+12 active)
    Thats no number i made up, that is an actual hard fact and u just need to create 2.67 as many skills to reach that crazy amount of options.
    This doesnt mean a player would be abel to do everything on his own. The fighter would still only be abel to choose from attacks that are typical for said fighter. No tanking or healing abilitys or what ever.

And it doesnt matter how many names you put into the combo mechanic to imaginary increase the amount of abilitys, in the end your still clicking the 1 button which smh makes it the same ability regardless its name or animation. Thats pure button spamming at its best to make various attacks trigger all from same shitty button. The QTE doesnt change that fact to any degree at all.

40 abilitys may be too much for some people, but as i said before and @Jubilum said it too, if there are too many skills for you just use as many as you are comfortable with.
    Analogically if you want to play a crafter, you wouldnt demand to remove combat from the game because you dont need it.

@Rune_Relic
    the possibilitys resulting of 100 choose 2 is 4950,
    while the possibilitys of 100 choose 10 is 17310309460000.
    (...and 100 choose 50 is 1*10^29. Yea thats a 1 with 29 zeros behind. GL finding 2 players that come up with the exact same build without intentionaly copying each other)
    Your math makes no sense. Your assuming people would need to pick one of 10 sets of 10 skills// one of 50 sets of 2 skills. But you excluded all possebilitys like someone choosing skill nr 1,2,3,4,5,33,66,77,88,99. Instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.

tbinom nk is often read aloud as "n choose k", because there are tbinom nk ways to choose a subset of size k elements, disregarding their order, from a set of n elements.

tbinom nk=displaystyle tfrac nkn-k
    thats how you get the real numbers. Pay more attention in school guys...

Errr LOL.
    I dont now how I missed this response, but as someone raised it from the dead I will bite.

There are 100 skills for everyone to choose from available in game.

Scenario 1.
    10 players have each gained access to all 100 skills.
    Player 1 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar
    Player 2 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar.
    Player 3 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar
    Player 4 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar.
    Player 5 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar
    Player 6 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar.
    Player 7 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar
    Player 8 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar.
    Player 9 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar
    Player 10 picks 99/100 skills on their 99 skill toolbar.

Scenario 2.
    Two players have each gained access to all 100 skills.
    Player 1 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar
    Player 2 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar.
    Player 3 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar
    Player 4 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar.
    Player 5 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar
    Player 6 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar.
    Player 7 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar
    Player 8 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar.
    Player 9 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar
    Player 10 picks 1/100 skills on their 1 skill toolbar.

Are you really trying to say that there is more skill variety in scenario 1 when everyone has 99:100 skills in common rather than scenario 2 where everyone has 1:100 skill in common ? Hint....dont use a wrong formula for the wrong job....actually think about it.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Didn't know whether to choose 20 or 30 so I just went for 30 but 20 can work equally well.

I like having plenty of skills, the homogenisation and dumbing down of classes in the likes of WoW was one of the worst things they did to the game and every class ends up feeling similar.

It's best having a bunch of core abilities (10+) and then a bunch of situational abilities that can be used in specific circumstances.

It's viable to play with just the core abilities but throwing in a lot of the situational abilities means you're able to play at a much higher level and really separates the good players and the bad.

More skills means more potential flavour and a higher skill cap instead of every other fight playing out essentially the same which ends up happening with a super limited skill set.
  • Options
    Uao said:
    @Morashtak
    solo and multiplayer is completly independent from amount of skills, wow indeed had a problem with lack of unique ideas but ashes has another game design that makes it easier for unique skills. They want you to be abel to choose action combat skills and tab target skills - that increases the ideas for possible skills by a huge degree and provides unique skills even with big skill pool.

@Dygz
    One will always be abel to spam abilitys if you loosen the semantics of the word 'spam' a little. In fact its easier to literally spam something when theres less choice.

I dont know how 1242955257000000 times! more options could result in less time to create the build. (80 total+40 active vs 30 total+12 active)
    Thats no number i made up, that is an actual hard fact and u just need to create 2.67 as many skills to reach that crazy amount of options.
    This doesnt mean a player would be abel to do everything on his own. The fighter would still only be abel to choose from attacks that are typical for said fighter. No tanking or healing abilitys or what ever.

And it doesnt matter how many names you put into the combo mechanic to imaginary increase the amount of abilitys, in the end your still clicking the 1 button which smh makes it the same ability regardless its name or animation. Thats pure button spamming at its best to make various attacks trigger all from same shitty button. The QTE doesnt change that fact to any degree at all.

40 abilitys may be too much for some people, but as i said before and @Jubilum said it too, if there are too many skills for you just use as many as you are comfortable with.
    Analogically if you want to play a crafter, you wouldnt demand to remove combat from the game because you dont need it.

@Rune_Relic
    (...and 100 choose 50 is 1*10^29. Yea thats a 1 with 29 zeros behind. GL finding 2 players that come up with the exact same build without intentionaly copying each other)
    Your math makes no sense. Your assuming people would need to pick one of 10 sets of 10 skills// one of 50 sets of 2 skills. But you excluded all possebilitys like someone choosing skill nr 1,2,3,4,5,33,66,77,88,99. Instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.

tbinom nk is often read aloud as "n choose k", because there are tbinom nk ways to choose a subset of size k elements, disregarding their order, from a set of n elements.

Errr LOL.
    I dont now how I missed this response, but as someone raised it from the dead I will bite.

Scenario 1.

Scenario 2.

Are you really trying to say that there is more skill variety in scenario 1 when everyone has 99:100 skills in common rather than scenario 2 where everyone has 1:100 skill in common ? Hint....dont use a wrong formula for the wrong job....actually think about it.

the question is : 
    what is more fun to play ? 
    Rosco said:
    Didn't know whether to choose 20 or 30 so I just went for 30 but 20 can work equally well.

I like having plenty of skills, the homogenisation and dumbing down of classes in the likes of WoW was one of the worst things they did to the game and every class ends up feeling similar.

It's best having a bunch of core abilities (10+) and then a bunch of situational abilities that can be used in specific circumstances.

It's viable to play with just the core abilities but throwing in a lot of the situational abilities means you're able to play at a much higher level and really separates the good players and the bad.

More skills means more potential flavour and a higher skill cap instead of every other fight playing out essentially the same which ends up happening with a super limited skill set.
    yep ! 
    but  thats a wish ... 
    i just cant understand why around 40 % of the people would prefer less ( like ~ 10-12 )
    active skills ...
    really hope steven and the rest of the team will increase the amount ... to maybe 16-20 active skills :D  
    maybe a changeable skill set 
  • Options
    Uao said:
    @Morashtak

@Dygz

@Rune_Relic

Errr LOL.

Scenario 1.

Scenario 2.

the question is : 
    what is more fun to play ? 
    Rosco said:

yep ! 
    but  thats a wish ... 
    i just cant understand why around 40 % of the people would prefer less ( like ~ 10-12 )
    active skills ...
    really hope steven and the rest of the team will increase the amount ... to maybe 16-20 active skills :D  
    maybe a changeable skill set 
    It's a shame really, I don't see any real benefit either.

The only positive reason for having so few active skills is that it's easy to play, conversely though it also means that the skill ceiling is practically non existent.

World of Warcraft for me during The Burning Crusade is a perfect example of a nice balance of depth, for most classes there were maybe 10 combat skills that were regularly used but then on top of that there were things like buffs, combat skills that were only used in very specific circumstances, combat macros set up for PvP, unique non-combat skills and  hotkeys for food, bandages and potions so you could easily be pushing up to 30 hotkeys depending on how you wanted to build your uI.

You could easily play with only the core combat skills but if you were pushing for more DPS or competing against other players in PvP the other skills could come in very handy and definitely showed the difference between an okay player and a good player.

There are other MMOs with limited action sets like Guild Wars 2 but in comparison to the original Guild Wars it completely lacks depth, it aims for simplicity and ease of access but that comes at the expense of any real complexity and just makes it feel dumbed down and boring.
  • Options
    If you can flip weapons, then you double the available skill. I am thinking from the view point of per weapon specific tool bar (melee + ranged).

There will be no automated scripts so running macros to pump out a chain of skills for you is not an option like many MMOs. So unless you want to manually touch type across the keyboard at lightning speed, 50 commands on the bar is pointless.
  • Options
    If you can flip weapons, then you double the available skill. I am thinking from the view point of per weapon specific tool bar (melee + ranged).

There will be no automated scripts so running macros to pump out a chain of skills for you is not an option like many MMOs. So unless you want to manually touch type across the keyboard at lightning speed, 50 commands on the bar is pointless.
    who says u can flip the weapons ? and double the skills ? 
    it seems u qould prefer 20 over 10 skills ? am i right ? 
    and nobody talks about 50 commands ? 

• Options
    So I play a game now that has about 20 skills at any given time for fighting, but the problem with skill bloat is you wind up watching your hotbar the majority of the fight.  Looking for cooldowns and chain activated abilities etc. 

It's really kind of sad, because you wind up missing the beautiful visuals that art team put into the monster/fight. I would prefer less skill bloat and more active dynamic fighting.  Fighting which requires me to actually watch and participate with the enemy  and to be able to respond to what's happening on screen, rather than just focusing on the hotbar and my next button press.
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    So I play a game now that has about 20 skills at any given time for fighting, but the problem with skill bloat is you wind up watching your hotbar the majority of the fight.  Looking for cooldowns and chain activated abilities etc. 

It's really kind of sad, because you wind up missing the beautiful visuals that art team put into the monster/fight. I would prefer less skill bloat and more active dynamic fighting.  Fighting which requires me to actually watch and participate with the enemy  and to be able to respond to what's happening on screen, rather than just focusing on the hotbar and my next button press.
    That just sounds like a poor UI rather than too many abilities, in the likes of WoW you can easily have 30+ key binds and never have to look at them if you have your UI set up correctly.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018

who says u can flip the weapons ? and double the skills ? 
    it seems u qould prefer 20 over 10 skills ? am i right ? 
    and nobody talks about 50 commands ? 

How are you going to hold a bow and sword/board at the same time ?
    Of course you have to flip.
    Players will have both range and melee weapons slotted.
    Steven confirmed.
  • Options
    I dislike having to pick the skills I want to use, I like to have all my skills ready to go no matter the situation I am in. Choosing what skills you want to be able to use opens the door for cookie cutter builds..imo. I would really like to see ashes stray away from cookie cutter set ups as much as possible. 
  • Options
    A question for the people who wants only 10 skills. If you are a mage, dont you want more than 1 fire skill? Or just 1fire that lightning we saw and that cool frost skill?
    I think 2 or 3 of each would be good plus that eartquake i saw in a video and maybe some other cool spells. 
    As you say, 11-12 damage spells would be good. But a stun, a teleport and such are active skills too. So i think somewhere between 14-18 including cc and movement would be great!

• Options
    I want alot of skills in my skill pool. Then I can pick and choose what will go into my bar. Not all combat either. Jump boosting, run speed pickup, hidden door detector, highlight eatables in the wild to find more food that you don't even have to cook. 

Gimme lots of options so I can mix and match how I want.
  • Options
    More the merrier. I'm honestly surprised by the low amount people want. I was really hoping it would pickup the trend of situational abilities. Currently in FFXIV I have 32 active keybinds on a tank 41 on a caster. Granted some of those are duplicate abilities with a modifier (like mouseover or partytarget2).

10 just feels low to me. If you take your gap closer, gap opener, basic attack, ultimate attack, provoke/heal/stealth/trap/sprint/etc you've already used up 5 slots leaving you very little for situational abilities. 

Now those statements may not apply if the cool downs on abilities are short (45 seconds or less) the 10 button setup may be engaging enough.

This is also based on the thought that ranged weapon setup swaps action bars with the melee weapon action bars. 
  • Options
    More the merrier. I'm honestly surprised by the low amount people want. I was really hoping it would pickup the trend of situational abilities. Currently in FFXIV I have 32 active keybinds on a tank 41 on a caster. Granted some of those are duplicate abilities with a modifier (like mouseover or partytarget2).

10 just feels low to me. If you take your gap closer, gap opener, basic attack, ultimate attack, provoke/heal/stealth/trap/sprint/etc you've already used up 5 slots leaving you very little for situational abilities. 

Now those statements may not apply if the cool downs on abilities are short (45 seconds or less) the 10 button setup may be engaging enough.

This is also based on the thought that ranged weapon setup swaps action bars with the melee weapon action bars. 
    iSo we have 2 x Actionbars we can switch in fights  ?  i watched every stream but maybe i missed something.
    I HOPE U ARE RIGHT : ))
  • Options
    So explaining my answer, I plan on main-ing a healer. I expect to primarily be using healing spells and I want ALL the spells I can use available to me. However I fully realize that there will be times when I need to do combat. I want some skills for that on my bar as well. 
  • Options
    Id prefer it to be more like vanilla wow in the sense that Ashes Of Creation you dont just have 5-10 buttons that can wipe out dungeon mob groups etc. I feel as if combat should be more complex and have atleast 20 skills+ that are all unique and cant be copied by any other class or race if a race trait. I love having complex skill trees and hope that this game expands upon that and will have unique characters
  • Options
    As many as possible. :)

10 hotkeys that can be collapsed, each with 10 slots? 

Allow macros for combining skills together? (And yes, I'm gonna say it :B ... Like a game  I've played in the past called Istaria. Also had multiclassing, to combine all classes within 1 character)

Can' wait for AoC!
  • Options
    I dont want this game to have like 10 abilities and thats all you click to me that just ends up being stale and not fun at endgame
  • Options
    Uao said:
    Many people who would have voted for high amount of active skills don't observe the forum anymore because Intrepid said that theyre going for ~11-12 skills long ago. So this poll will be smh biased towards low amount of skills.
    steven said by the time the game goes live it will have about 30 skills to choose from you as the player can pick how many skills you want or to focus leveling up the ones in you're rotation.  

as to 11-12 that was referring to skills during the test phases 
  • Options
    The more refined and less clutter, the happier I am.
  • Options
    Malgus said:
    Uao said:
    Many people who would have voted for high amount of active skills don't observe the forum anymore because Intrepid said that theyre going for ~11-12 skills long ago. So this poll will be smh biased towards low amount of skills.
    steven said by the time the game goes live it will have about 30 skills to choose from you as the player can pick how many skills you want or to focus leveling up the ones in you're rotation.  

as to 11-12 that was referring to skills during the test phases 
    Thats very good to know that he said around 30 I believe that will allow for combat to be active and diverse rather than sit there without even looking at your screen popping abilities