Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

*New Class Names*

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited February 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design

I put up this list because like many of you I was a little disappointed at some of the names. I know many have come before me and given their own preferences for names of different classes and I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

If you plan on coming into this thread and just crying and moaning about how we dont know how each class will perform etc blah blah so there is no point in changing names. Dont bother. I want this game to succeed as much as all of you, and this is just my opinion and/or suggestions of better names for each class combo based on how I picture that particular combo best fits.

Fighter

-Berserker(Fighter/Fighter) – Charging into battle, super aggressive is what comes to mind for a Fighter/Fighter. Weapons master seemed to tame to fit. Also according to the devs, all classes can use all weapons so every class is a weaponsmaster. Berserker or Warrior should be the name.

-Executioner(Fighter/Rogue) – Shadowblade is one I thought was more suited to Rogue/Fighter. Rogue being the shadow archetype. Duelist is just as underwhelming as Weaponmaster and scout imho. TBH, I really couldnt think of another class name and so came up with Executioner. Thought that suited this combo better

-Templar(Fighter/Cleric) - Highsword is one of those names on this list which uses the common words( Spell,Sword,Shield, Night), which from reading Discord and the forums alot of people have made comments on that they are used too often. It was a toss up between Templar and Crusader and I only chose Templar after watching @Aggelos YT vid on classes

-Pirate(Fighter/Bard) - I always pictured a Pirate as being a fighter, plundering etc but then being off their face drunk and telling stories about their adventures etc and singing their songs. Pirate fits very well here imo.

Tank

-Juggernaught(Tank/Tank)- Guardian is still a good name for a Tank/Tank, but I heard Juggernaught from KrytonianJedi YT vid ( I think) and thought it was good. TBH id still be happy with Guardian as well.

-DeathKnight(Tank/Rogue)- Nightshield was another of those that seemed like it was thrown together. ( Not saying AoC Devs are bad at names, just want to get away from using the common names too often). A Tank with Rogue/Assassination augments seems to go well with DeathKnight

-Harbinger(Tank/Mage) – Mages seemed to be the hardest for me to name, as I dont play caster classes in MMOs or any other rpg. I read somewhere that Harbinger was like a forerunner of impending doom, Eg, Harbinger of Doom, so thinking as a Tank being the front runner of any group and bringing with them the rest of the party to smash face thought this could be fitting, but honestly this is open to new suggestions. I just wanted to get away from Spellshield.

-Provoker(Tank/Bard) – This name i think came from @KryptonianJedi YT vid. Thought it was good. Tank taunting ,verbally, a boss or mob etc. Bard good with words/voice. Ye good pick KJ imo

Rogue

-ShadowBlade(Rogue/Fighter) – This was more suited to Rogue/Fighter.

Shadow = Rogue, Blade = Fighter. Duelist was/is too meh.

-Vindicator(Rogue/Tank) – I forget where I heard this, but with the whole getting vengeance/revenge that goes with Rogues, it makes sense.

-Phantom(Rogue/Mage) – No real reasoning behind this name otherthan i wanted to get away from NightSpell. For some reason I pictured the comic The Phantom, but tbh I never really watched or read The Phantom so not overly familiar with his abilities in the comics

-Cultist(Rogue/Summoner) – I put Cultist here instead of Rogue/Cleric because I immediately thought of the Cultists in Diablo3 in ACT all standing around in a circle summoning their demons and they did attack you with their daggers.

-Monk(Rogue/Cleric) – A rogue with possible healing abilities, named it Monk. Enough said ( Drops Mic) XD

Ranger

-Stalker(Ranger/Rogue) – Scout was very Meh! As well. I heard the name Tracker possibly from @Aggelos YT Vid but seeing as( I assume) this will be similar to the Predator(Rogue/Ranger), Stalker sounded more badass.

-Deadeye(Ranger/Ranger) – This name was from @KryptonianJedi YT vid. Hawkeye is still good imo, so either is ok.

-Seeker(Ranger/Mage) - This name was from @Aggelos YT vid. I suck at names for mages but thought this was better than Scion.

-Naturalist(Ranger/Summoner) – I sorted pictured this combo kinda like a Chloromancer but didnt like that name. I can see a Ranger(Being nature based in RPGS quite often), spawning some nature plant whatever when attacking etc.

-Druid(Ranger/Cleric) - Alot of people, me also, were a little disappointed and surprised there was no Druid class in this list. A nature based attacker with healing abilities(again im making assumptions here about heals) goes well with the name Druid. Some might say Cleric/Ranger was/is a better option which comes down to personal opinion. Do you see Druids more as Heals first then some damage abilities or a Dps'er with heals?

-Infiltrator(Ranger/Bard) – The 007 class. ;p. A bard being good with words, manipulative,, talking his way into places.

Mage

-Arbiter(Mage/Tank) – I read somewhere that Arbiter was the Mage/Tank class of Rift so thats why i named it so. No other ideas. Better than Spellstone imo.

-Illusionist(Mage/Rogue) – I kinda pictured the Mesmer from GW2 when thinking Mage/Rogue, master of deception through magic.

-Elementalist(Mage/Ranger) – This or TEMPEST were both good imo. Magic user with a nature aspect as well.

-Archon(Mage/Mage) – POWER OVERWHELMING! Plus it also means ruler in ancient greek so a Mage/Mage would be the highest form of Mage.

-Sage(Mage/Cleric) – This name was from @Aggelos YT Vid. Thought it fit well. Better than Acolyte

Summoner

-Reaper(Summoner/Fighter) – Wildblade was crap. Inspiration came from the 2handed Necro in GW2, plus who doesnt want to be a Reaper. :)

-Revenant(Summoner/Rogue) – Google definition - a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead. Too many names with Mancer in their name. Revenant sounds more kickass

-Mystic(Summoner/Mage) - I was at a loss what the put here. Spellmancer was again overuse of words. Open to other suggestions imo. This was the last one I filled in tbh.

Cleric

-Crusader(Cleric/Fighter) – Interchangable ebtween Templar and Crusader. Just comes down to personal opinion of which is a heals first and fighter second.

-Aegis(Cleric/Tank) - When looking at Aegis it always came back to some form of protection type meaning. Apostle doesnt sound very tanky or protection-y. ;p

-Betrayer(Cleric/Rogue) – This name came to me as soon as I saw Cleric with Rogue. 

Kinda of like an Anti Cleric. Shadow Priest, but didnt want to use that name as it was too simple.

-Inquisitor(Cleric/Cleric) – TBH i was only thinking of this combo after watching @Aggelos YT vid, seeing as Thais didnt like High Priest and wanted it changed, but I thought the suggestion of Pope was a bad choice as well.(Sorry Thais) Looking into medieval times, an Inquisitor was a very high ranking Priest in the Holy Order, They decided who lived and died.

-Herald(Cleric/Bard) – Came up with this while chatting to @KryptonianJedi on his YT vid. A Healer that is good with words, storytelling etc. I pictured one of those priests in the town square ringing their bell making some huge announcement

Bard

-Liberator(Bard/Fighter) – I am William Wallace, and I see a whole army of my countrymen here in defiance of Tyranny. You've come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do without freedom? Will you fight? Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least awhile. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies. That they may take our lives, but they will never take our FREEDOM!!.

-Wanderer(Bard/Ranger) – Didnt like Songwarden. I kinda pictured someone roaming the countryside(Ranger), and sitting with strangers telling stories of battles past.

-Seer(Bard/Mage) – Google Def - a person of supposed supernatural insight who sees visions of the future. Fortuneteller type, but Fortuneteller is a crap name aswell so used Seer. Actually I think this name might of been from @AggelosYT vid possibly.

-Invoker(Bard/Summoner) – Google Def- One who conjures up spirits with incantations. Someone who induces as an inevitable consequence.

-Prophet(Bard/Cleric) – This name came from @KryptonianJedias well. It fits well imo.

Comments

• your lack of a necromancer is disturbing 
  • nagash said:
    your lack of a necromancer is disturbing 
    I approve of this! Long live the Lord of Death Nagash, Slayer of Chaos
  • nagash said:
    If you check Summoner/Cleric, the Necromancer is still there. That didnt change at all.
  • Strykerz said:
    nagash said:
    If you check Summoner/Cleric, the Necromancer is still there. That didnt change at all.
    For some reason it did not post on my phone so all is forgiven ^^
  • @Strykerz This is a very well put together post, and I love a lot of the name combinations that you came up with. Especially regarding some of the mage class lines. The only few that I'm still dislike are "Knight" as it's always (to me) been more of a title than class. I'm also not a fan of the "Pirate" class idea. For me, a substitute for Knight would be fine with Warrior, likewise Pirate with Sell-sword.

I LOVE cleric/tank as Aegis, that is just too cool.
  • Arue said:
    @Strykerz This is a very well put together post, and I love a lot of the name combinations that you came up with. Especially regarding some of the mage class lines. The only few that I'm still dislike are "Knight" as it's always (to me) been more of a title than class. I'm also not a fan of the "Pirate" class idea. For me, a substitute for Knight would be fine with Warrior, likewise Pirate with Sell-sword.

I LOVE cleric/tank as Aegis, that is just too cool.
    Thanks Arue, yeah been thinking about the names for awhile and watching Aggelos and other streams to get other peoples ideas as well. Im not taking credit for all the names.  In regards to that Pirate name, and this whole list in general, i was trying to get away from the overused words, like spell, shadow, shield, sword, night etc.I always didnt like the name of Swashbuckler suggested by one of the other streams. So with your suggestions of Sell Sword, its too general imo. But another meaning of sell sword, according to Game of Thrones anyways, is a Mercenary, so perhaps that could be the name for Fighter/Bard.   Also, yeah I loved the name Aegis as well when I thought of it.  :)
  • I came here for the druid name but stayed because they were all awesome! Sweet post. Druid is definitely my most beloved type of character to play whether that was WoW or DnD 5e. Being the embodiment of nature and shapeshifting will always be my ideal way to spend my virtual life.
  • I really like these name changes as you said they get rid of the generic names and replace them with what they are actually meant to mean. Plus, it should be easily to implent for the developers. so it´s a double+
  • The lack of a Shadowmancer/Shadow Caster class is greatly troubling. Does this mean wielding shadows is out of the picture? There is only light magic?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    The layout of this post is so good it made me cry tears T_T great ideas overall but I still think Archmage is more suited for the mage/mage, Archon sounds really overwhelming like it's a completly different species rather than a class :3
  • I generally don't understand the issue with names. As long as the play style is good names don't really affect me at all. of course its logical to have the name relate to the play style but i don't understand why it bother people so much. That being said i do really like the names the op mentions but i don't have a problem with the names steven posted either.
  • I generally don't understand the issue with names. As long as the play style is good names don't really affect me at all. of course its logical to have the name relate to the play style but i don't understand why it bother people so much. That being said i do really like the names the op mentions but i don't have a problem with the names steven posted either.
    @VoidShadow I understand your point, thou it comes down to immersion. Everybody wants a kickass name for their class, so I thought Id throw together names better than the generic, overused additions such as mancer, shield, shadow etc. 

Thanks everyone for your comments. Appreciate it. :blush:
  • Ahtu said:
    The lack of a Shadowmancer/Shadow Caster class is greatly troubling. Does this mean wielding shadows is out of the picture? There is only light magic?
    @Ahtu Not at all. All forms of magic is welcomed. This is just a suggestion and I am open to all ideas.  Maybe Mystic could be changed to Shadowmancer?  Mystic was the last name I put in and was only added because I couldnt think of anything better at that time.
  • how about bird class ,so i can practice my aiming ability :wink:
  • still...Birdman Class, living on top of trees... sky nods,next exp.

edited March 2018
    one day, I would love to see some game use the name berserker accordingly to what they were. No berserker who rushed to battle mindlessly and used rage to fight never existed.
    Berserker where accordingly to the very few document we got the main bodyguard of a clan chief. Intelligent warrior, but its a solitary job. So I dont want to see any more army of berserker, who become berserk... yes, ok, now you can cry. Berserker never existed as you thought they were....

more info there :  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBUGQkpk3RE
    edited March 2018
    I prefer falconer. I like the idea of a ranger staying more agility and accuracy centric than pushing more towards magic focused.

I'm also an aviary enthusiast and want to wander the forest with a bird of prey as a companion... So I'm biased going in.

• i personally prefer soul weaver over prophet; if nothing else but because there are simply to many "holy person" archetypes. (E.X.paladin, templar, aegis, crusader.) it is nice to show that a cleric can have some religious ambiguity and not be immediately lumped into the good vs. bad/dark vs. light troupes so many games force them into.
  • Interesting. Have you read through the unofficial naming threads put up by @tugowar
    ? They are really good and a lot of really creative and appropriate names. Kinda wish the devs went through those threads because I find a ton of the official names to be really lame, bland, and uninspired.
  • here's a quick link if you're interested

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/35855/the-unofficial-official-name-that-secondary-class-last-chance-to-play/p1

Also, want to have options to change the way that the forums look?  Check out this Chrome and Firefox extension:
    http://cohortgaming.com/aoc-forums 

-tug

edited April 2018
    Honestly, a lot good suggestions, but a few I personally think they do not fit. One example is: 

"-Deadeye(Ranger/Ranger) – This name was from @KryptonianJedi YT vid. Hawkeye is still good imo, so either is ok."

I do not think Deadeye fits to a Ranger/Ranger. In my opinion a Deadeye is a ranger that stays at long range in the shadows, to snipe someone stealthily, so... I'ld say Ranger/Rogue or Rogue/Ranger. Instead of Deadeye why not use: 'Hunter' instead. As for Fighter/Hunter I then would use 'Scavenger' And for Ranger/Bard (instead of Infiltrator) maybe 'Keeper' or 'Sentry'.

Long story short, I think a lot of the ranger subclasses needs a bit of work. A lot of them are using names that -in most cases- all would fit solely to Ranger/Rogue. If you disagree to me, no problem, this is just my opinion and wanted to give you a view from someone who plays a lot ranger- or bard-like classes in games.

-edit: I would swap Archon to be Mage/Cleric, Sage to be Mage/Bard and Sorcerer to be Mage/Mage instead.

• Double of a class name should be the name of the class, so Fighter/Fighter should be Fighter.  My main gripe is that Ranger should be called Archer, Cleric/Archer should be Druid, and Archer/Cleric should be called Ranger.
  • Elderborn said:
    Double of a class name should be the name of the class, so Fighter/Fighter should be Fighter.  My main gripe is that Ranger should be called Archer, Cleric/Archer should be Druid, and Archer/Cleric should be called Ranger.
    Ranger can use any weapon like other classes so archer wouldn't be a great fit.
  • The layout of this post is so good it made me cry tears T_T great ideas overall but I still think Archmage is more suited for the mage/mage, Archon sounds really overwhelming like it's a completly different species rather than a class :3
    Thanks @AutumnLeaf . Appreciate it. 

edited April 2018
    Yeah i prefer all the names i made in this thread

because ... well i made them  :p

Honestly everybody knows Jedi Guardian is better than Sith Juggernaut Guardian is the best choice - nice class feel to it

Nearly everything feels like placeholders
    • augmentations
    • archetype names
    • combat system
    • progression
    • etc ...
    And thats main because they are. I'm sure nearly every member on the forums have the urge of wanting to express an idea about what they would like to see, but we first have to wait & see more things before then - or at least that's how i see it 

Admittedly, the current names are underwhelming and doesn't feel like much thought was put into them. And since, imo, the Archetype Name will reflect their overall-playstyle ... its kinda of a downer for me - kinda hoping Ashes won't be overall underwhelming.

But then again, whose to say it will be ? There's a good chance it'll be better - beyond expectations even. Anything's better than whats currently on the MMO Market anyhow
     :/ 
    edited April 2018
    Strykerz said:

-Executioner(Fighter/Rogue) – Shadowblade is one I thought was more suited to Rogue/Fighter. Rogue being the shadow archetype. Duelist is just as underwhelming as Weaponmaster and scout imho. TBH, I really couldnt think of another class name and so came up with Executioner. Thought that suited this combo better

I personally feel as though " Mangler " is the better choice.
    •  Executioner just doesn't feel threatening enough - almost too formal
    • When i think of FIghter/ Rogue i think of the most Multiple Cuts in the most vile, ruthless, sadistic, nasty cuts that can be conceived
    edited April 2018
    I feel like a pirate is more a rogue / bard combo. 
    Also, I really like the name Highsword, or even Arcsword

Anyway, for 
    Tank/Mage, I think something like "Envoy" sounds better. I don't really think "Harbinger" fits. I think even "Spellguard" is better than "Spellsheild", especially since they don't have to use shields. 
    In fact, this might actually be a good class combo to name "Templar". 
    Some other suggestions (May also work for the Mage/Warrior combos): Arcane Guardian/Warden, Weaveknight, Bladeweaver, Spellshaper, Blademancer, Helix Knight. 

Also, as long as we're fine with stealing names from WoW: "Dreadlord" and "Stormlord" both sound badass. 

It's hard to make mage names without knowing a bit about how magic works in this world. 
  • I highly agree on placing shadowblade to rogue/fighter, and giving fighter/rogue executioner. Duelist sounds like trash. Shadowblade on the other hand suggests more like he was working in a shadow, but was still using some sort of (short)sword to help him in difficult situations.

Executioner sounds very as more public person (fighter), but focusing on specific targets in a battle to execute them (rogue).

Aaaaaaaand I don't really care about the rest honestly.
  • F*** YES! shaman is on the board, now I need it to be good guys.