Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How fast should a player get to Level 10 ?

Comments

• Not fan of this cause it mean grind but the solution to make evreyone happy would to copy BDO. Having Max level reached in decent time then allow players to go for more but it take 50x , 100x, ... more time and efforts.

But as i said already im not against hard leveling if we can make the same money as lvl 10 than lvl 50.
  • I just don't feel like spending weeks or months to figure out whether I like a class or not. I'd rather get to lvl 10 in half a day. I would then have 10 lvls worth of skills and abilities to help me decide if i want to continue with this class. If I had to spend over a month to demo a character that i may not even like, I'd shit on my keyboard. If there's a server we could all go to, where we could demo the max version of every class combo, then I'd be fine with longer leveling, since I'd have previously tested it out.
  • Why is there no less than a week option? I’d be annoyed if I don’t get level 10 by day 2.. really annoyed. I hope max level can be achieved in less than a month if you neckbeard it. If it took months getting to level 10 that would mean they would have to keep a months worth of level 10 stuff exciting. I’d rather have a lot of endgame stuff exciting. I’d run Molten core even though I’m farming Naxx because my friends doing it but if they are still in deadmines I’d say see you in a few years scrub lord. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    @Beardo
    Tbh i thought 1 week would be fast enough. But Jeffery Bard stated himself he wants to " stay away from the term endgame " in Ashes of Creation. And Steven agreed. Rather, they want Ashes of Creation to be ... "endgame from start to finish" .With a style like this .. slowing down the Leveling-process would fit very easily. Why wait for "the fun"  at the end ... when " the fun " can begin at the beginning ? 

( and " the fun " will progressively get more interesting as Nodes try to establish themselves )

Beardo said:
    " ... If it took months getting to level 10 that would mean they would have to keep a months worth of level 10 stuff exciting ..
    I don't see how they could not do this - no other Dev Team can boast the experience Intrepid has on making MMOs. And based on the Context of above ... i think they already did

@Holy-Shiv
    I think demoing a character would be heavily-based on whether or not Intrepid plans to mostly have Action-Combat, mostly tab-target or trying their best to have a literally 50/50 (evenly balanced) - figuring-out how much freedom each Archetype has. 

i.e.
    70% Action Combat | 30% Tab-Target (or reverse)
    60% Action Combat | 40% Tab Target (or reverse)
    50% Action-Combat | 50% Tab-Target

And if all Archetypes has the utmost freedom(action-combat), then there could be different tactics for both PvE & PvP ... while still having (some) Tab-Targeting aspects

( Duly note: Action-Combat provides more variety & options for the Overall-combat, since tab-targeting just follows its target like a heat-seeking-missile. At the same time, Action-Combat can't be spammable and not resembling hack-&-slash (mainly on attacking abilities) but movement abilities ... might/should have more freedom to an extent ) 

So i suppose that would be based on the maximum number abilities each Archetype is intended to have AND how many abilities is intended for the Player to start off with - because if you can get an overall feel of the Character without having to level-up 

(maybe 1 LvL-up or 2 ... possibly 3)

Then you wouldn't have to be concerned about Leveling-up to begin with
    edited July 2018
    3 weeks for the casual player, no less than a week for the hardcore never ever sleeps has no job lives at home player.

Edit: We all know there will be max level characters before the end of the 2 day head-start. There is always someone who works the system 24hrs straight to get there.
    edited July 2018
    ... We all know there will be max level characters before the end of the 2 day head-start. There is always someone who works the system 24hrs straight to get there ... "
    I'm going to infer this is coming from the Bless Online Crap, right ? How some players got to MAX level in less than 2 days ?

this won't happen unless its designed to be that way - and for me, thats just falty design for a player to be at MAX LvL ... before the Game even officially releases ...
    • You do realize that the Bounty Hunting System is ONLY accessible at the Military Node Stage 3 .... and since the Nodes will be designed to take a long time to establish - insanely longer if its one person. "That" .... along side with what Beardo said: & what Holy-Shiv said:

THE GAME WILL LITERALLY BREAK ON THE FIRST DAY .... 

That means non-stop PvP Slaughter, Stat reduction from Corruption will be meaningless since the difference of a LvL 1 player & LvL 50 Player will be absurd, etcc ... .... this means that in LESS than 2 Days the Racial-Stat-Progression would've been MAX out + Gear having too much emphasis on the victor of a PvP 

Who would want to play this Game then ????

Unless
    • the Leveling-Progression is slowed-down 
    • Skill being #1 Priority opposed to Gear and Leveling dictating every confrontation

edited July 2018
    I guarantee you that the Community will regret that 
    • Leveling-Up too Quickly + Gear & Level having too much emphasis on every confrontation ( both PvE & PvP ) ...
    This is a bad sign ... because there's nothing stopping those " Speed-LvL Guilds " from attacking New Players - and it WON'T* be entirely that welcoming for them either.

Now don't* misunderstand me* ... i don't mind the challenge .. but i still prefer PvE (slightly) over PvP. More importantly, i would like for the PlayerBase to grow ... but it sure won't grow if its designed like ... " this "

Long story short - " slow it down
  • @Eragale

I fully agree that they should slow it down and avoid this chaos that the game could become. I just am very skeptical about all MMO's first release. There is a lot you can avoid with extensive testing in alpha and beta stages. However, live launch always seems to bring a few surprises.
  • @Eragale

And ya i played Bless Online for all of 5 minutes before the refund request was sent out. Not even sure if we can call it a game, let alone an MMO. Funny how most things we buy are required to be in working condition. But people can still dupe us with digital garbage. 
  • For me the longer = the better :)
  • A level a day keeps the end game away 
  • Level 10 should be quick.   Consider that nodes will be developing and changing your leveling zones until all the nodes start maxing out and limiting the other nodes around them.  With several hundred players potentially working on the same node you should probably be able to get through the early levels fairly quickly.

1) To keep up with node progression and help contribute more to the node faster.

2) Since this is going to be open world PvP the early levels and skills should come pretty quickly to give players a fighting chance.  If it takes weeks or months to get to max level unmolested you have to almost double that time in open world ganks, respawn, run back or finding a new place to level, etc.
  • Nodes have, as of now, a longer leveling span. So, although hitting node 3 might be relatively quick, getting to a metropolis should feel relatively slow (comparatively). Since the whole game world is supposedly open to explore from level 1-cap (no endgame) then you will always have places for low level characters anyways. Not seeing how this should play into leveling time of a character.

If you need to make it to level 10 to test out a character I can see your concern, but that is a personal choice not a required mechanic. As is wanting leveling to be slower to enjoy those levels more.

I can't imagine a 48 hour grind will max someone out, but I could unfortunately be wrong. We know a majority of the quest available in the game will come from nodes that continue to grow. Since nodes won't even 'populate' or start until after the 2 day head start the amount of quest available shouldn't generate 50 (supposed) levels of xp. As for farming mobs, since a lot of the higher mobs will supposedly be attached to node leveling I can't imagine there would just be enough about to support 50 levels either. That's not even considering travel time since there is no fast travel.
  • Common talk the last 5 years is that leveling to max is just a grindfest tutorial for the real game: endgame.

In Ashes, we strike out on our own pretty much as soon as we enter the game.
    You can probably stay in the newbie areas as long as you wish.
    But, there should be plenty of Stage 0 areas for you to start adventuring in.
    You might need some protection from higher level players.
    edited July 2018
    We all know there will be max level characters before the end of the 2 day head-start. There is always someone who works the system 24hrs straight to get there.
    Are we going to be able to reach max character level while Nodes are turned off?
    I doubt it.
  • Definitely will be true if they make it like many other games where once you outlevel a mob it gives diminishing returns and a certain point 0 exp. With no node advancement, no increasing strength mob spawns, no higher level mobs, no racing to cap.
  • Eragale said:
    title speaks for itself  ~.~

Short answer:  Level is just a number.  A game should feel engaging by rewarding with various upgrades as a player learns the game and becomes more skillful.
  • I hope it is scaling so new players can get a good taste of the class early on to decided for themselves if they want to continue playing on that character or not. Wouldn't want people to spend weeks to find out they are not enjoying the class they chose. 
  • @sphinxy
    tbh thats how i ultimately feel to
    i.e. Skill prioritized as #1, then next is Gear being slightly, (yet negligibly)  ahead of LvL ... almost being tied 2nd 

But i think i would have to have a feel of the Game to make better judgement ... and before saying anything.
  • the problem here is there is only hardcore players on thoses forums yet since the game will be released in 1 year or so. So we hear only this point of view.
  • i would love it it was somehow kinda like Vanilla wow, took me 5 months or so to hit max lvl , but that was also because i loved to just run around and look at stuff, and battlegrounds took a lot of my time.

But i would really not be sad if it took even longer to hit max lvl, as long as there is enough content througout the lvls to keep one on X lvl for a longer time.
  • In FFXI it took an afternoon to get to level 12 back in it's 75 lvl cap hayday.  It took Pooka a total of 7 months to hit the level cap on Pooka's first job.  Everything after that took roughly 3 months each time Pooka leveled a new job from 1.  There were ceilings when you reached certain levels and to break those ceilings you had to do these difficult quests that required help from multiple people to do.  Pooka sort of liked how that went.
  • 1 week to hit level 10? Is that playing an hour a day or is that 168 hours? Your choices mean nothing.

And secondly if players don't see personal progress, taking a week to hit level 10 will kill the game. Other people brought up really good points.

This is not some DnD game that is catering to a small group of people. 
  • The actual leveling time doesn't concern me if they unlock the class tool kits early. There is nothing worse than hitting the same 2 skills over and over for 6 levels (see early level ffxiv)
  • It should take time. Level 10 I picked 1 week. But what I don't want to see is someone saying they maxed out in a few days, cause they rushed through the game. I mean really, what's the rush, enjoy it, and be apart of the community. Geez.
  • leveling systems are merely long tutorials. your characters will be max level for the majority of their playtime.

leveling is nothing but grind and unfun in most games you accomplish nothing and any items you obtain are worthless in minutes. then you never bother doing that content unless you want to make a new character.

why waste time developing low level areas when people could just start out at max level and spend their points as they want. less time would be put building the low level areas for people to have their extra long tutorials and more time put on actual content.

• Wow, you have played a lot of really crappy games.
    I hope we all don't start off at max level, that would get boring mega fast.

Also, welcome to the forums @Durett
    edited July 2018
    Found this little timestamp in a LiveStream that, more or less, makes me feel better in regards to this Thread's Topic

• @Eragale Thanks for posting that video, it was so nice to refresh the info from that.  Listened the whole thing again.
    edited July 2018
    @T-Elf
    Yeah before Alpha 1 starts, I''m planning on
    • revisiting all LiveStreams and note down TimeStamps on a WordDoc
    • Then seeing other MMOs and what aspects are interesting enough to ask Intrepid on there thoughts about it tbh xD
    EDIT: I would've liked to timestamp the whole thing (including the question ... but it would've been long -since it was a long answer - which is good thing imo

But sometimes straight to the point is more ideal