Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption system

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2020
    as a heavy pvp'er in multiple games i understand that there has to be balance between players that dont care about pvp and like pve/questing/exploring in a mmo VS people that wanna get rewarded for being a skilled pvp'er

A pvp game with no rules and let you kill people on sight with no consequences will not work..

This bounty system that we know of is a good concept and i think will work very well..

i think the penalties on corruptions players is too severe... like losing stats/gear and such.

but ye comes to this question: what system you want in place when 2 players meet each other in the world and this 3 way player status could work if it cant be exploited..( and usually it will)

One thing to bare in mind is that the Bounty Hunter system is only available to citizens of a level 4 military node, so the amount of available PvP will depend a little on which nodes get built up in each server.

I have a feeling that the dedicated PvPers will all congregate to a single server, making it the unofficial "PvP" server even though the game won't have dedicated PvP and PvE servers.

The problem with the bounty system is... if there no corruption players.. there is basically no bounty system.

So the question : why would a player go corruption mode when there only severe penalties and no rewards?

Intrepid have levers they can manipulate to ensure that some - but not too many - players gain corruption.

Also, some players will happily just attack players that annoy them, and the consequences of a single kill aren't likely to be that high.
  • Options
    The interests will be to get the hands on resources that others got and you can't get ...

But for the rest I don't know , the challenges of survival as longer as possible with corruption?

Resources is the only stuff that would make want to kill someone and get corrupted.
    Like I travel or 30min to a resources area and there is this guy that got the last one in front of me ...
    I'll may decides to kill him to get some :/

But if not balance well , no one will let him die without fight back , and that is what it's all about.
    I feel that the only way to be corrupted ( except miss judgement of the situation) is if the victims let him to be killed. And he won't do so if the difference between green penalty and purple one is important.

Well has a eventually future victims of PK , this are stuff that will influence my choice of fighting back or not.
  • Options
    Wanted to say that having the ability to flag your self for pvp or purple, Would just be like being on a normal pvp server without corruption system. Their is a cetain value in that type of play. Just to keep post super short. Lots of funny pvp videos have been made over the years on WoW PvP servers Open world PvP.

For the people on those servers the open world is like their play ground. Basically whole server is on big Battleground. Ganking is just normall pvp to those players.
  • Options
    while aoc dont have any factions but do have a corruption system..

it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a corruption only city where the bad guys can live in :D
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    while aoc dont have any factions but do have a corruption system..

it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a corruption only city where the bad guys can live in :D

Not surprisingly this has come up multiple times before in the endless loop of discussion on corruption. This was shot down by Steven in a stream chat around the time of the BR release when he would pop into various streamers feeds and answer questions while playing. Do not expect any reward for being corrupted. The point of the system is all stick and no carrot. You can choose to be corrupted, but there will risk v reward that you will need to ask yourself if it is worth it to you. The clarification that city guards will target corrupted as kill-on-sight shows that they are aware and don't want their "karma" system to be an ignored joke like so many other games. *cough New World cough*
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    hmm..

so they are selling their game to be a pvp orientated game.. but they dont reward players for doing pvp in the open world :(

this aint good news :S
  • Options
    so they are selling their game to be a pvp orientated game..
    No they aren't.

People that want to hear that Ashes is a PvP oriented game will hear that, but that is not because Intrepid are saying that, it is because people often hear what they want to hear.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    hmm..

so they are selling their game to be a pvp orientated game.. but they dont reward players for doing pvp in the open world :(

Ashes is PVX
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2020
    hmm..

You don't get rewards for just killing, you get the rewards from whatever you are fighting over i.e. resources, farming locations, etc. Remember people drop a portion of there resources when they die.

They don't want to encourage you to go out and kill the first person you see. They want there to be more of a reason besides, oh look, a person i can attack.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you wanna be a murder-hobo you gotta be ready for the murder-popo.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    leonerdo wrote: »
    If I literally got a “Murder Popo” label I would be on board for whatever it requires.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    hmm..

Your reward for that action is the players farmed resources. Become corrupted isn't a function of pvp in general, but a very specific type of pvp action. If you want to fight people in fun pvp, look for sieges, caravans, node wars, or flagged players. If you want to gank low levels to feel big, or fight people who have no desire to pvp, you're going to get corrupted. And if you do it enough some other person who loves to pvp as well is going to come searching :wink:
  • Options

maxresdefault.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    what system is in place for people to not get griefed by "karmabombers" anyone who plays bdo doesnt need me to explain but for others, lets say you or your group is farming on a spot and someone else comes to that spot and starts kill stealing your mobs/ruins your grinding spot by taking mobs. if you wanna kill him you will go corrupted, not only that, once he comes back he can freely kill you and you cant defend yourself otherwise you will get more corrupted. did they talk about this aspect of the game at all? like what is the griefer who steals mobs risking? other than having to walk back to the spot?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    what system is in place for people to not get griefed by "karmabombers" anyone who plays bdo doesnt need me to explain but for others, lets say you or your group is farming on a spot and someone else comes to that spot and starts kill stealing your mobs/ruins your grinding spot by taking mobs. if you wanna kill him you will go corrupted, not only that, once he comes back he can freely kill you and you cant defend yourself otherwise you will get more corrupted. did they talk about this aspect of the game at all? like what is the griefer who steals mobs risking? other than having to walk back to the spot?

Communication.

And also the fact that Ashes will have more than one spot that contains worthwhile PvE for players at the level cap.

I'm sure that between those two, you can figure out how to not get "karmabombed".

The idea in Ashes is to not kill that player. You can, but you will suffer if you do. If you have corruption from killing some random player, I can attack you without becoming a combatant or gaining corruption, as can any other player. This means that if you kill that one player, literally anyone else that sees you is free to attack you with raw material loss being the only PvP penalty. You, on the other hand, will gain corruption for each of these attackers that you kill, and each kill will also see you drop more items when killed, and your stats will become less effective in PvP combat making you easier and easier to kill (which in turn means players are more likely to try their luck).

So yeah, just because you can attack a player in Ashes, doesn't mean you should.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »

Communication.

And also the fact that Ashes will have more than one spot that contains worthwhile PvE for players at the level cap.

I'm sure that between those two, you can figure out how to not get "karmabombed".

The idea in Ashes is to not kill that player. You can, but you will suffer if you do. If you have corruption from killing some random player, I can attack you without becoming a combatant or gaining corruption, as can any other player. This means that if you kill that one player, literally anyone else that sees you is free to attack you with raw material loss being the only PvP penalty. You, on the other hand, will gain corruption for each of these attackers that you kill, and each kill will also see you drop more items when killed, and your stats will become less effective in PvP combat making you easier and easier to kill (which in turn means players are more likely to try their luck).

So yeah, just because you can attack a player in Ashes, doesn't mean you should.

so basically its a perfect game if you wanna come to a dungeon or a spot where someone is already farming and you keep stealing his mobs just to annoy him. not only that you are risking absoultely nothing and you can freely grief the person farming? and not only that, after that person defends his spot you can call in your friends and break his gear? people actually believe this is a good system?
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member

Communication.

so basically its a perfect game if you wanna come to a dungeon or a spot where someone is already farming and you keep stealing his mobs just to annoy him. not only that you are risking absoultely nothing and you can freely grief the person farming? and not only that, after that person defends his spot you can call in your friends and break his gear? people actually believe this is a good system?

You don’t own the area or the mobs in it. If someone comes to farm the same area, you can kill them. If they fight back because they also want the area, then you get no corruption and you get a portion of their stuff. If they don’t fight back, you get flagged corrupted for killing a noncombatant, but you get even more of their stuff than you would if they fought back.

You have no risk of having your gear destroyed unless you make it a habit of killing players who don’t fight back. If you want to criticize the anti-griefing system, at least gather more than surface-level knowledge.
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »

Communication.

You don’t own the area or the mobs in it. If someone comes to farm the same area, you can kill them. If they fight back because they also want the area, then you get no corruption and you get a portion of their stuff. If they don’t fight back, you get flagged corrupted for killing a noncombatant, but you get even more of their stuff than you would if they fought back.

You have no risk of having your gear destroyed unless you make it a habit of killing players who don’t fight back. If you want to criticize the anti-griefing system, at least gather more than surface-level knowledge.

Another point to add to this is that if you are in a dungeon, you are probably not remaining in one place. Also, there is probably a good amount of time needed to get there in the first place.

If you come across someone in a dungeon (or a group of players, more like) and you attack and kill them, they are probably not going to be seen again for a while.

I mean, mobs respawn.

The issue with that is that if the group manages to kill your healer, you are left in the middle of a dungeon that has mobs that respawn, with a dead healer. The healer would then need to respawn themselves, leaving the group to have to get to which ever of the semi-random respawn points they end up in.

So in a dungeon situation, groups are likely going to be uninterested in doing something just to grief others.
  • Options
    With all due respect. Intimating that people 'shut up' to let the status quo do its thing has a chilling effect on open communication & transparency. As example, the New World game (PVP) with its experts released an Alpha recently where a minority of more senior players griefed noobs at the starting area. That impacts some player participation. Do we really have to start player testing in Alpha to say that? It doesn't take a prophet to ask Intrepid to avoid the same mistakes that limit the potential player base and profits. From where I stand, Intrepid has a small staff with big ideas (that's great)! They are big boys and girls capable of sifting through input and gleaning out the nuggets for consideration at the 'weekly meeting.' Isn't there a quote on doom & repeating historical mistakes of the past? Best wishes. B)

I recall Steven said, that a bigger level gap also gave a bigger amount of corruption/debuff or something like that. So griefing low levels could end badly for the griefer
  • Options

I will never stop cracking up about this.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

In addition to the corrections from Noanni and Caeryl, if you are in a group farming dungeon content and a single character is able to meaningfully "steal" or actually disrupt you, then you and your group are doing something wrong. Given your increased spread, damage potential, and greater enemy manipulation potential (pushes, pulls, roots etc.)

You also have the ability to declare a guild war on the offending players guild if it is truly bothering you that much, putting you all to combatant states. Also if there is just one continual griefer, your mayor does have the ability to declare them a enemy of the state i believe it was referred as. Granted we will have to wait till we can get these systems in our hands, to get to the nitty gritty of how they will all interact.

I would also encourage you to look into the systems a little more thoroughly if you are interested in ashes @Jahlon seems to always be willing to help answer new comers questions about the game, and runs both a youtube channel and website to compile and share info, and thanks to people like @Shaze, the wiki has a lot of updated information and direct quotes and soundbytes from the development team.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

There are a few systems that might work together against karma bombers.

For starters, you only gain corruption if you deal the killing blow to the person, there is no damage window where if you hit them and they die, you gain corruption.

We also have a death penalty in pvp unlike BDO.

We don't have health percentages for players(think BDO mobs before you have knowledge) so you can't inch a persons health to 1 percent and letting a mob get them but you can damage them to interfere with the fight and increase the chance of death. Combine this with the death penalty, sticking around a person who has expressed a willingness to fight could be an easy way to end up dying, suffering a death penalty and if the mob you were trying to steal dealt the killing blow, they aren't suffering the corruption penalty for it.

So it might become this gamble for both players where most people would either choose to fight, leave, or work something out.

• Options
    id like to thank all of you for responding to me, you all brought really good points and brought up a lot of stuff that i wasnt aware off before, i just recently started getting a bit more interested in the game and since this was one of my biggest concerns, i got annoyed a bit by what it looked like. (everything else in game looked amazing but just this corruption system reminded me so much of what i hated about bdo) i gotta say that there are some pretty good systems in place that would prevent similar behaviour than what karmabombers did in bdo.
  • Options
    @madafaka420 glad you found the game!
  • Options
    id like to thank all of you for responding to me, you all brought really good points and brought up a lot of stuff that i wasnt aware off before, i just recently started getting a bit more interested in the game and since this was one of my biggest concerns, i got annoyed a bit by what it looked like. (everything else in game looked amazing but just this corruption system reminded me so much of what i hated about bdo) i gotta say that there are some pretty good systems in place that would prevent similar behaviour than what karmabombers did in bdo.

Welcome to the Cult

It's nice to see people asking questions some people just say things as fact when they have no idea what they are on about.

nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I have not read everything there is about corruption but I have a noob question that might already be answered a 100 times:
    Why does corruption apply once you killed someone unwilling to fight back and not the moment you initiate attack on an unwilling target?

As far as I understand it AoC wants to incentivice PvP but also limit it so that possibly people can fight each other in the open world (no specific battleground/Arena needed) but you do not need to fear that everyone stabs you the moment you turn your back (corruprion as a disincentive).
    But then why design corruption in a way that one person needs to give up from the get go? That does not incentivize PvP just one guy wacking down a training puppet. Why not differenciat between willing combatants (a Duel, a Siege,an Event, people who flag themself for PvP,...) and unwilling combatants (anyone that did not Flag themselve for PvP or joined any kind of PvP Option/Event).
    That would still allow everyone to target and kill anyone, but reduce the fights were people just drop their weapons and flop on their belly to 0.

Or to ask in a different way: Why design PvP in a way that many players will be temptet to just give up immediatly?
  • Options
    The incentive mostly comes from outside the corruption system. The corruption system is a risk and the reward is whatever the attacker thinks that risk is worth.

It gives players freedom to fight over things like resources and spawns in the open world. If you are farming a resource, someone might come up and attack you so they can farm that area and/or kill you and take some of the resources you have already gathered. You might want to fight back so that you can continue to farm that area or if you have a lot of resources on you, you might want to fight back to try to defend them and reduce how much you do lose in case you die.
  • Options
    GimlogGimlog Member
    By rereading stuff that has been said about corruption , I realised where corruption will probably shine , is by disincentive groups to PK solo players. And generate more fair 1vs1 fight.

Killing one solo players while in a group will probably not split the corruption amount the group but each members will get as much corruption as if they had kill it in a 1vs1 fight. Corruption would be multiply by the amounts of party members.
    At least it would make sense for me.

I feel that group will go more often for caravans than solo players. Just because of the rewards.
    Assuming that IS will not go for more than 100% drop penalty ( red =3 time green penalty)
    So max 33% of the loot of each victims divided by the party member will not be very attractive vs the corruption.
    Where attacking caravans has only the death penalty to disincentive and more loot to attract you.
    ( there are always people willing to kill for killing but well...)

For group vs group it will probably not generate corruption because while in a group you will be more emphasized to fight back.

There will always be guys that will attack lower player than them but I hope that IS, the Alpha and Beta testers will determine a fair corruption multiplier for lvl difference than will disincentive it.

But with this said , there may not be enough corrupted player for the bounty hunter ...
  • Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    edited June 2020
    Ikcen wrote: »
    That is why the so called corruption system is very important. If it is too restrictive - it will stop any open world PvP and there will be only events like sieges and caravans. If it is too loose, there will be too much ganking, that will stop the progression of many of the players, and will make them feel frustrated.

In the first case the game will lose the competitive players, and they are the majority of the online players. In the second case the game will lose the so called PvE players - often solo or small group guys, who are not very competitive, and many of them are not cooperative too, as they are afraid of losses, but also of rejection. Do not sound very heroic, but they are the majority of the MMORPG players.

The entire point of the corruption system is to DETER people from being complete and total asshats. Meaningful pvp isn't going out and ass stabbing Joe Gatherer while he's out getting supplies. It's attacking the caravan that is CARRYING MORE SUPPLIES, which hinders nodes meaning that they may or may not level up appropriately or build something up that is needed in time for siege...so yes...it is meaningful pvp.

Anyone that is currently actually following along with any form of development knows that there is in fact other ways for your "competitive players" to get their jollies. There isn't a modicum of ways for PvP to happen, and it's not all just in the open world. Thinking that competitive players are the majority is a fallacy and can not be proven at this time...you also hopped into a actual dumb amount of back peddling by stating that That pver's are the majority...so which is it? You can't tell me because you don't have the data and are just talking out of your stove top.
    Fact is "Ashes isn't for everyone" that has been said multiple times.

It's also been stated that "We work in a manner and process that the team, as experienced developers who have built massive MMORPGs previously, has deemed the best way to make the quality of MMORPG that we want. If you feel concern or doubt, thats fine. Anyone who doubts our intentions or process or ability, is able to walk away and come back later if they want, or not." So honestly idk what you're actually complaining about except for the overbearing concept of complaining as a whole. Everything is going to be tested and gone over, you can take your fallacies, put them back in the bag you pulled them out from, and yeet them straight back into the well of bad ideas.unknown.png
    Screen_Shot_2020-06-04_at_6.32.10_pm.png

This discussion has been closed.