Thank you to all who participated in our August 20 play test! If you joined in, please remember to leave your feedback and bug reports on the forums here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/categories/apoc-bug-reports

Corruption system

So, this came up in the Toxicity dev discussion from @sunfrog
sunfrog wrote: »
Doing nothing and letting the community sort it out is not realistic, because people don't behave that way. However, I just sat here thinking about stuff and I can circumvent almost anything you can think up. So can everyone else.
I think the corruption system along with a mute button will take care of most things but I also think the corruption system won't work and Steven will have to get rid of it eventually. I don't think corruption will make it into the final game and if it does it won't last very long.
So to answer your question, I think toxicity is an unsolvable problem but you should still try because someday it might lead to a solution.

And instead of derailing that thread anymore than I have already, I'd like to ask about this. Why do you believe that the corruption system won't work and that Steven will get rid of it eventually?
«13

Comments

  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    *sigh* here comes more PvP debates. I hope you're happy @wanderingmist
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder
    edited August 5
    Nagash wrote: »
    *sigh* here comes more PvP debates. I hope you're happy @wanderingmist

    Call me a glutton for punishment. Besides what else are we supposed to talk about until we get the next node video? :P
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Nagash wrote: »
    *sigh* here comes more PvP debates. I hope you're happy @wanderingmist

    Call me a glutton for punishment. Plus what else are we supposed to talk about until we get the next node video? :P

    ANYTHING BUT PvP!

    at this point, I would talk about how tulnar are just mutants that need to be wiped out of the face of verra
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds
    Has been beaten to death this subject so many times and honestly see no point in rehashing it until we have had some time testing it. Once we get an opportunity to test it out then we will have something to talk about.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Pioneer
    Because of innocent people caught in the crossfire. Customer service will be so flooded with people saying they didn't deserve corruption it will be a nightmare.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    edited August 5
    sunfrog wrote: »
    Because of innocent people caught in the crossfire. Customer service will be so flooded with people saying they didn't deserve corruption it will be a nightmare.

    There is no such thing as innocence, only varying degrees of guilt
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder
    sunfrog wrote: »
    Because of innocent people caught in the crossfire. Customer service will be so flooded with people saying they didn't deserve corruption it will be a nightmare.

    That's a catch 22 situation right there. Yes you are right that there will probably be people who complain about getting corrupted. But if you take the corruption system away you'll then get people complaining about getting camped and ganked all day.

    Pick your poison...
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited August 5
    It's not possible to gain Corruption from crossfire.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    I say we stop Corruption by killing all the tulnar as they are Corruptied :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • PookaPooka Member
    edited August 6
    Pooka agrees that Tulnar are mutants that need wiped out.
    Pooka.png
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    Looks at Nagash his post time...
    He even manages to post while the forums are down :D
    ijI3ujZ.png
    Are you looking for an amazing community with lovely people? Join the Aurora Discord now and chat with us!
    We are recruiting!
  • ArzosahArzosah Member, Leader of Men
    jegorex wrote: »
    Looks at Nagash his post time...
    He even manages to post while the forums are down :D

    The forums never went down.
    i55FwpZ.png
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds
    Forums were a bit slow and empty today, but accessible. I didn't try to post though...
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • JahlonJahlon Member
    edited August 6

    And instead of derailing that thread anymore than I have already, I'd like to ask about this. Why do you believe that the corruption system won't work and that Steven will get rid of it eventually?


    The corruption system will work and Steven won't get rid of it.

    There's nothing wrong with the way it is laid out.

    sunfrog wrote: »
    Because of innocent people caught in the crossfire. Customer service will be so flooded with people saying they didn't deserve corruption it will be a nightmare.

    That's a catch 22 situation right there. Yes you are right that there will probably be people who complain about getting corrupted. But if you take the corruption system away you'll then get people complaining about getting camped and ganked all day.

    Pick your poison...



    What crossfire? you have to flag for non-consensual PvP
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Braver of Worlds
    It sounds like the assumption is people can be caught your crossfire and you gain corruption. I imagine they are thinking if a large fight is happening, a person could accidentally gain corruption buy killing a non-combatant.

    For starters, we know you only gain corruption by dealing the final blow to a none combatant (killing them). To deal the final blow to a none combatant, you must be force attacking them. You will not be in the middle of fighting a combatant and accidentally kill a none-combatant. Also, remember that if the none combatant does anything to help the combatant, they are flagged as a combatant as well.
  • Guys this system has been working since 2003 in a massive mmorpg. Steven is familiar with it, that is why it is brought to AoC. It works.

    Obviously nobody likes getting killed.
    It might happen once in 3 months to you if you are a peaceful player.

  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Leader of Men
    572925bc0d100acaf33de56557d73786.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Nagash wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    *sigh* here comes more PvP debates. I hope you're happy @wanderingmist

    Call me a glutton for punishment. Plus what else are we supposed to talk about until we get the next node video? :P

    ANYTHING BUT PvP!

    at this point, I would talk about how tulnar are just mutants that need to be wiped out of the face of verra

    Oi, as a representative of the Tulnar Combine, i detest that a bony windbag dares to call us mutants! We mayhaps be mutants, but i wont accept a pile of bones call us that to our face!
    uQHKizC.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    *sigh* here comes more PvP debates. I hope you're happy @wanderingmist

    Call me a glutton for punishment. Plus what else are we supposed to talk about until we get the next node video? :P

    ANYTHING BUT PvP!

    at this point, I would talk about how tulnar are just mutants that need to be wiped out of the face of verra

    Oi, as a representative of the Tulnar Combine, i detest that a bony windbag dares to call us mutants! We mayhaps be mutants, but i wont accept a pile of bones call us that to our face!

    Oh what are you going to do? shed on me ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    *sigh* here comes more PvP debates. I hope you're happy @wanderingmist

    Call me a glutton for punishment. Plus what else are we supposed to talk about until we get the next node video? :P

    ANYTHING BUT PvP!

    at this point, I would talk about how tulnar are just mutants that need to be wiped out of the face of verra

    Oi, as a representative of the Tulnar Combine, i detest that a bony windbag dares to call us mutants! We mayhaps be mutants, but i wont accept a pile of bones call us that to our face!

    Oh what are you going to do? shed on me ^^

    No... worse...
    *whispers* No Steven, take those back, we cant throw our shed skins at him anymore. NO, Steven we can also not throw him into our spawning pools, imagine what he would do in there!
    uQHKizC.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    *sigh* here comes more PvP debates. I hope you're happy @wanderingmist

    Call me a glutton for punishment. Plus what else are we supposed to talk about until we get the next node video? :P

    ANYTHING BUT PvP!

    at this point, I would talk about how tulnar are just mutants that need to be wiped out of the face of verra

    Oi, as a representative of the Tulnar Combine, i detest that a bony windbag dares to call us mutants! We mayhaps be mutants, but i wont accept a pile of bones call us that to our face!

    Oh what are you going to do? shed on me ^^

    No... worse...
    *whispers* No Steven, take those back, we cant throw our shed skins at him anymore. NO, Steven we can also not throw him into our spawning pools, imagine what he would do in there!

    This is why we need the LOL button back
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • ironarmironarm Member, Founder
    This may have been explained before, so excuse me if it has.

    Does a player gain corruption if they kill a non-combatant even if the non-combatant is not a citizen of the same node cluster or ally of the node cluster?
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Leader of Men
    Killing any non-combatant gains corruption. There are currently 4 flagging lockout states, so if they were in one of those you wouldn't be able to attack them anyways.
    7f1c2a5be08f8ba6be930c1e5b45704d.png
    7f556e4961f1b887479dbfbc2b578580.png
    60b4ad9bd3f7740496dd4b651e4c90fe.png
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • JahlonJahlon Member
    ironarm wrote: »
    This may have been explained before, so excuse me if it has.

    Does a player gain corruption if they kill a non-combatant even if the non-combatant is not a citizen of the same node cluster or ally of the node cluster?

    Any time you kill a non-combatant you get corruption.

    If your node is at war against another node, those node's citizens would be flagged automatically and thus legal combatants.

    If your guild is at war against another guild, those guild members would be flagged automatically and thus legal combatants.

  • insomniainsomnia Member
    edited August 6
    Don't count on me to fight back. So if you attack me, you will get corrupted. I don't care for pvp, especialy not in open world PvP. Most of the time, it is someone (way) higher level than you. More than one person. They attack you while you are fighting a mob or just after when you are maybe ½ dead. Surprice attack (again when you are fighting a mob). It is almost never a fair fight. Often it seems to be done by these losers, that can keep at it for hours, killing people that don't have a chance and NPC's, just to ruin it for others. People that can't contribute with anything positive to the world (in-game and RL). So they have to ruin the gaming for others. Assholes/losers with no life. I'm played a game (no need to mention the game), where people seem to be doing this for hours each day. They gain nothing from it.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds
    I don't know if I can relate to your particular message, but you bring up a good point.
    If I am attacked immediately after killing a mob that drained any of my resources, I won't fight back. If I am attacked by two players at the same time, I won't fight back.

    My opinion is similar. If I am attacked after my resources have been drained in PvE by someone whose character is still 'fresh', then they are obviously looking for someone to troll and not actual PvP. So they can have the corruption hit. If two players want to attack me because they are joined at the hip and can't stand being alone without their significant other in a simulated environment, one of them can take the corruption.

    TL/DR: Come at me fair, or take the corruption.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited August 7
    Not all pvp has to be 1v1 duels.

    You get a person's resources if you kill them so there is an incentive, you get even get more if you don't fight back. It would be one thing if there was no reward but there is a reward so it isn't necessarily trolling. It's like calling ganking someone in a moba trolling. There is both a reward and a potential punishment so it's on the attacker to decide if the reward is worth it.

    I also think it's kind of on you if you get jumped and are either too weak to protect yourself or not prepared to reset the fight. While farming, you should be able to keep your resources up if you pace yourself.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited August 7
    I dunno why people are so focused on resources.
    I doubt looting individual player resources will be the primary motivator for instigating direct PvP combat or the primary reward for instigating direct PvP combat.


    Azathoth wrote: »
    If I am attacked immediately after killing a mob that drained any of my resources, I won't fight back. If I am attacked by two players at the same time, I won't fight back.
    Well, death penalties also include:
    Experience debt, skill and stat dampening, lower health and mana, lower gear proficiency and durability loss.
    Seems like you might still be interested in cutting those penalties in half by flagging as a combatant even if you have no resources to drop. But...
    We really have to know how debilitating those penalties feel to be able to weigh in on that in any meaningful way.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    See what you've done @wanderingmist Have we not suffered enough!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder
    Nagash wrote: »
    See what you've done @wanderingmist Have we not suffered enough!

    NEVER! The sadist in me must be released!

    Joking aside, I got the answer I was looking for and while I'm sure @sunfrog is right that there will be people who complain about getting corrupted "unfairly", I think it's important to understand that no system is perfect and that it can't satisfy everyone equally.

    As I said before, if you have no anti-pvp system at all you will have a ton of people complaining about that. Complaints will happen no matter what Intrepid do.

Sign In or Register to comment.