Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Misc. Game Mechanics

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ventharien wrote: »
    consultant wrote: »
    Would like to see 1v2 Brackets and 2v3 brackets. Really good way for pvpers to hone in their skills. Playing under extreme pressure.

Maybe a in node Arena?

I don't see Intrepid wanting to encourage arena based PvP any more than is necessary tbh.

The idea of PvP in Ashes is that you fight over actual resources in the world, not over pretend points of interest or some loreless/pointless deathmatch.

I would have to assume that the use of arena PvP in Ashes will only ever be where it is needed, rather than as a means to try and fill every potential or perceived gaming niche.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unlike many other things we have actually seen early arena maps and ideas in engine. It will just be another option promoted just like any of the other pvp options. While they won't have 1v1 because of the whole RPS issue, they have talked multiple times about arena and how it will function. Much more so than many other "core" systems with the exception of caravans imo.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited March 2020
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Would like to see 1v2 Brackets and 2v3 brackets. Really good way for pvpers to hone in their skills. Playing under extreme pressure.

Maybe a in node Arena?

Or just do open world caravan PvP - chances are it'll be uneven sides
  • Options
    Unlike many other things we have actually seen early arena maps and ideas in engine. It will just be another option promoted just like any of the other pvp options. While they won't have 1v1 because of the whole RPS issue, they have talked multiple times about arena and how it will function. Much more so than many other "core" systems with the exception of caravans imo.
    I'm not saying arenas won't be in the game - they clearly will. I'm saying the focus in terms of PvP will be open world rather than instanced/arena.

That said, I was under the impression that 1v1 arenas were confirmed.

350px-partysize.png

Obviously older comments shouldn't necessarily still be considered relevant, but I was unaware that had changed.
  • Options
    Actually other option is to pick inexperience player to play with you but that is not much fun for them cause mostly likely be killed more often. Plus most likely have better things to do.
    Actaully pretty Standard option WoW called this Wargames had all kinds of options not to many people are even aware of that opton. No reason to leave option out since it so simple and inexpenisive to implement. Plus lack of options add up over all and make MMO look bad if there is enough of them.

Think Option is in order since there is going to be PvP metropolis.

Why would they not encourage Arenas. They do not talk about it much cause there is not much to talk about.
    It is not a big talking point like caravans and sieges . Plus sieges do not happen all the time ounce a month I beieive if the want to. Plus caravans are open world as that means they have to be found and do present a logistical challenge. Fight might be all over by time you get there.

• Options
    Think there should be an item level requirement for PvP maps at max level so people go in decent gear. Gear matters a lot in pvp. Seen people go pvp in role playing gear with not gear on them with any stats. Plus it really hurts the chances of winning if some people are under geared.
  • Options
    consultantconsultant Member
    edited March 2021
    There is a show called the Very Vera Show so Vera is like an female name could use variance of that name like Verencia or Vernasia or Verascotia or some other variation.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    If voice chat and chat channel is good enought for 250 people possible 500 hundred in 500 vs 500 bracket then well it could work. Said somethin about raid leaders and commanders well IF they are organized it works out.

Just getting 250 to 500 people in voice chat is a challenge. Been part of much smaller group with voice chat and still have communications problems.

But here are some possible problems

There are people that just like to talk all the time

People that like to point out everything that is negative about other players

Guess you could have commanders mute people but that power could be abused.

Some people paly music while playing games so youmight hear that too and hwo are you going to figure out who that is.

In an ideal group were people listen and mostly only talk to give tactical info then yes it would work.

But yes IF voice chat and chat channel work for 250 people most of the time not tryintgto focus on exceptions Then something like this would not be needed. Like if you only got bad groups ounce in a while.

Last person I was in voice chat with like to sing while playing so.......

You sound like someone who never properly participated in an organized large scale battle ever.
    People don't sing, people don't joke around. People follow the orders of a handful of people or they will be muted/not participating the next time.
    With an increasing amount of players, each member talks less individually except the group and raid leaders.
    There is more than sufficient footage online to check it yourself, not in a single one you'll find idiots singing or fooling around on voice coms during the battle.
    This holds true for groups as low as 25 in mythic raid boss attempts in WoW to thousands vs. thousands occupying a single teamspeak during a battle in Eve.

Here you have some examples, as you seem to have a hard time imagining it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dflGn2nsgGM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh2Wd5wFZCM
    https://youtu.be/Vvtp8qaUdNk?t=386
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nalljAJPe8U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABpv3OZxeFs
  • Options
    if players are using the in game voice chat to play music, then you'd have a lot of streamers getting trolled with DMCA and unable to stream the game.
    You could possibly have people screaming and shouting obscene things
    Perhaps a group/party could be more possible with as someone mentioned the option for the group/party leader to mute. Allowing for some proximity chat without all the chatter over lapping.
    This would give the option for people to not have to use additional software/apps for communication.
    Additionally, probably more viable on a more serious role play server for those who want the immersion experience.
    Needs to be an effective range and decibel cap on output.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    If voice chat and chat channel is good enought for 250 people possible 500 hundred in 500 vs 500 bracket then well it could work. Said somethin about raid leaders and commanders well IF they are organized it works out.

Just getting 250 to 500 people in voice chat is a challenge. Been part of much smaller group with voice chat and still have communications problems.

But here are some possible problems

There are people that just like to talk all the time

People that like to point out everything that is negative about other players

Guess you could have commanders mute people but that power could be abused.

Some people paly music while playing games so youmight hear that too and hwo are you going to figure out who that is.

In an ideal group were people listen and mostly only talk to give tactical info then yes it would work.

But yes IF voice chat and chat channel work for 250 people most of the time not tryintgto focus on exceptions Then something like this would not be needed. Like if you only got bad groups ounce in a while.

Last person I was in voice chat with like to sing while playing so.......

You sound like someone who never properly participated in an organized large scale battle ever.
    People don't sing, people don't joke around. People follow the orders of a handful of people or they will be muted/not participating the next time.
    With an increasing amount of players, each member talks less individually except the group and raid leaders.
    There is more than sufficient footage online to check it yourself, not in a single one you'll find idiots singing or fooling around on voice coms during the battle.
    This holds true for groups as low as 25 in mythic raid boss attempts in WoW to thousands vs. thousands occupying a single teamspeak during a battle in Eve.

Here you have some examples, as you seem to have a hard time imagining it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dflGn2nsgGM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh2Wd5wFZCM
    https://youtu.be/Vvtp8qaUdNk?t=386
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nalljAJPe8U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABpv3OZxeFs

Ever heard of people playing drunk or high or young peprson But just to be perfectly clear you are saying that

Voice chat is a viable solution for 250vs 250 battle and 500 vs 500 battle in voice chat. Actually my experience is more like people just do what they want there are some good games were people actually work together and want to win but not always the case. Playing LoL rigth now and getting a good group is happens about 50 60 percent of the time. Might work if it is individual guilds coming tother to make those large groups . So while I do not doubt you have good games were people exhibit orderly conduct think it is also safe to say that well there are a lot of trolls out there that could not care less what happens in game met my fair share.
  • Options
    Think secondary communication system would be cool like pings point I was trying to make is voice chat is insufficient. Most people most like just pay attention not actually in vioce seriously doubt all the people are in voice chat So in this games that you are talking about are like 500 people actually in voice chat.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited March 2021
    Think secondary communication system would be cool like pings point I was trying to make is voice chat is insufficient. Most people most like just pay attention not actually in vioce seriously doubt all the people are in voice chat So in this games that you are talking about are like 500 people actually in voice chat.

Voice chat isn't insufficient lmao. Not much point having a discussion with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about though.
    Everybody that played Eve for a while knows how easily 100s or even 1000+ players on a single voicecom can be managed.

Trying to use LoL as a reference point for large scale battles and voice coms is asinine at best.
    In large scale battles either everybody but the group and raid leads are outright muted or Trolls, Drunk and Stoned People as well as those people that don't know how to stfu will be muted in no-time.

Its a pretty simple concept actually. With increasing amount of numbers participating in an operation, the amount each person says declines drastically. Which is enforced in one way or the other. With increasing amounts of participants, most of the communication gets consolidated under the wings of a few individuals. Soldiers STFU, Commanders lead. Simple as that.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited March 2021

Playing albion online and voice chat is okay, in big scale fight just shoutcalllers speak, the rest is muted and i m talking about fights with more then 500 players... You can ping in the map to, but we need to ignore, imagine 500 people pinging the map... Pings is more usefull for small scale fights and pve, we use alot for Ganks
  • Options
    Ever heard of people playing drunk or high or young peprson But just to be perfectly clear you are saying that
    I believe he addressed this.
    If someone in voice chat is causing an issue - they get universally muted.

If that happens, there are no issues any more.

In some situations I've been involved in, everyone present is muted, and then only a select few are unmuted.

I have also seen dozens of times where people not following orders in these large scale events get booted and not invited along next time.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    So now its 1000 people in voice chat and for the most part orderly conduct...well if it works it works just not my personal experience . If you have like lets say a group of like 250 that is comprised of lets say 5 guilds that are 50 people per guild that will work because it is organized.

Really do not see this working in an evironment were the pvp is just who ever shows up. Matter of fact we are getting ready to do the who ever shows up uneven PvP 250vs250.

Is that part of your ecperience 100 to 1000 people just show up and it is mostly orderly with exceptions in voice chat.

To be clear it is whoever shows up no group or invitation neeeded or will not play with you next time type of thing. Have heard any structure to it so....
  • Options
    Is that part of your ecperience 100 to 1000 people just show up and it is mostly orderly with exceptions in voice chat.
    Mute all.

Unmute those in leadership positions.

Where is your lack of understanding this coming from?

• Options
    WarthWarth Member
    You are afraid that it won't work for large scale matchmade pvp game modes?

Well, then i'm happy to inform you that there won't be such a thing in Ashes
  • Options
    edited April 2021

• Options
    edited April 2021
    You are afraid that it won't work for large scale matchmade pvp game modes?
    Noaani wrote: »
    Mute all.

Unmute those in leadership positions.

Where is your lack of understanding this coming from?

As far as what Noaani said that is a great way to cut down chatter would have to agree and works great in a premade group.....

We do not have a premade group. Let me explain see you could be in a guild and ask people from that guild to do dungeouns with you and require them to be in voice chat to get ready for raiding. In this case voice chat would work even if the group is 250. Or let say you are playing an open world pvp game like lets say Eve online. Were lets say 10,000 people are logged in and you spam a server wide message and out of 10,000 you go through the selection process and get 250 in a group obviosly you could simply say hey if you are not in voice chat not going to invite or if they do not want to be in voice chat thye get removed from party. Point there is some there making sure people are in voice chat just keep going until you get to 250.

I guess I will just have to spell out for you guys......some people are under the impression well why not just use voice chat for 250 vs250 bracket. Well in a premade you get organized first .usually done by group leader which could include voice chat really no brainer. But what is being implied here is that 250 will show up for an event and most of them will decide to be in the same voice chat let say in game voice chat since every one will have access to to it.

In the open world battleground and in node vs node you have no control over who is goiing to show up.
    I know what you guys are saying you can in fact get groups of 250 or more in voice chat in large scale open world PvP game. But in Ashes fo Creation is not going to be reaching out to lets say 10,000 people in getting 250 in voice chat then pvping. Really the number 250 does not matter to much. It is the random nature of the event. If 100 people show or 50 people show up some of them are not going to be inclined to be in voice and no one can force them to do so.

It is getting the 250 people that just happened to show up some which may use voice chat some which do not that is the problem. Just cause they do not use voice that does not barr them from the event. What you have in ashes of Creation for the most part is Open World Pvp Events.

In Ashes of Creation The premade PvP I see is guild wars and Caravans. So how ever many people participate in those events 50 or 100 or 150 voice chat would work cause of the non random nature of the premade event. Or you get to chose the people that go with you and only people that are in voice chat get to go. Really if only the people that are in voice chat can go with you then there is no chance for voice not to work.

But this is not the case in an Open World PvP Event.

Just to be clear you could in fact get 250 people in a group and lets say that is the upper limit for a battle ground. And let say all 250 are in voice chat and as you say it is all organized you could then you march over to a Battleground. If there are already 100 random people from your server there then guessing only 150 will be able to participate from your group and how are you going to get those 100 people that are already there in your voice chat. You could ask politely other than you cannot do much of anything. Now there are quite of number of things that Ashes of Creation could do to encourage using voice like automatically making a 250 people chat room for people using ingame voice chat per event. But some people will not use in voice game chat cause they like discord better so....and also there all kinds of game mechanics that could be implemented like a 250 group could reserve a battle ground but that isa different topic.

As far as muting people as a means to control chatter when already in a group that works.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    If 100 people show or 50 people show up some of them are not going to be inclined to be in voice and no one can force them to do so.

So, your issue has gone from voice chat with many people being unwieldy, to not everyone in large scale combat will want to join voice chat.

Obviously not everyone will want to. The people that dont will just follow everyone else. This is all fairly basic stuff.
    Just to be clear you could in fact get 250 people in a group and lets say that is the upper limit for a battle ground. And let say all 250 are in voice chat and as you say it is all organized you could then you march over to a Battleground. If there are already 100 random people from your server there then guessing only 150 will be able to participate from your group and how are you going to get those 100 people that are already there in your voice chat.

This is not a situation that could happen. You have the system design wrong in your mind.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Really do not have an issue just saying more needs to be done as far as cummincation systems for non premade groups like we have in Ashes of Creation.

Yeah it is basic stuff, but is basic stuff that conflicts with the idea that well we could just use voice chat for large scale PvP in Ashes of Creation.. i do not why someone is posting about Eve online.

So basically I do not think that just voice chat is is acceptable as the primary form of cummuncation in large scale battles in Ashes of Creation. Some the posts indicate otherwise like making a comparison to what happens in Eve online.

I have ideas like a sign up sheet so people can sign up for roles in advance for node vs node or having a primary secondary and tertiary raid leaders (peopel that feel comfortable giving out orders and are good at it)
    So that an event will likely have some some leader ship. Pre Assigned raid leaders.

To say well we could just use vocie is absurd for an Open Word PvP Event were people just show up.

That is what is being implied that voice Chat is appropriate for a 250 event like Node vs Node.}
    Really do not see how any one could say that.

So will voice chat work for Node vs Node obviously the answer is NO. No brainer. Yeah it is a no brainer but we got people sayig well In Eve online it works. All those links to videos submitted as proof that it works all Irrevelent.

Yeah a no brainer but for some reason people think voice chat will work for 250 EVENT (not a premade)
    250 people are not going to show up and just go into voice ready to take orders from a raider.

So just wanted to take the time to say it will not work in order to say that had to go through some really basic stuff as you said. Really do not know Why I have to say it in the first place. All the sudden we are in Eve Online ??
  • Options
    Just to be clear battlegrounds in Ashes are Open World like an Open world Boss. Not sure what the exact game mechanics are. Open world usually means who ever shows up. Now there are exceptions like guild castle sieges. So does voice chat workd for guilds....real basic stuff but yes. In this case it is which ever guild shows up see the differrence group vs no group.

Point is it does work for Open world PvP events were People just show up and you have not control who is in a group matter of fact lot people will not be in group per say and still participate in Events.

So Premade Yes (like in group)
    Non Premade No (like an Open world PVP EVENT or Open world Raid boss)

Now all you have figure which PvP in Ashes of Creation is Premade and Non Premade and that answers the question if voice chat is appropriate or not.

• Options
    Point is it does work for Open world PvP events were People just show up and you have not control who is in a group matter of fact lot people will not be in group per say and still participate in Events.
    Again, you have the wrong idea in your head about the mechanics of how these things will work.

Whether a node war, a siege, or a guild war, there will be structure in place well before the day. These aren't things where everyone just shows up and you run with whoever you have. They are events where guilds would have communicated with each other about their intention to participate, and the events in question will be run using the existing structures of those guilds.

Random people that just show up and want to participate are likely welcome to do so, but no one is going to care if you are in voice chat and try to be useful, or if you just run around and do your own thing.

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Again, you have the wrong idea in your head about the mechanics of how these things will work.

Whether a node war, a siege, or a guild war, there will be structure in place well before the day. These aren't things where everyone just shows up and you run with whoever you have. They are events where guilds would have communicated with each other about their intention to participate, and the events in question will be run using the existing structures of those guilds.

Random people that just show up and want to participate are likely welcome to do so, but no one is going to care if you are in voice chat and try to be useful, or if you just run around and do your own thing.

yep that is my whole point there has to be structure in place for events to work.

However the posts in this thread is more like well Just Use Voice Chat. Like that would work.

That is the implication that all the structure that is needed is Voice Chat and that idea is absurd.

So there needs to be structure in addition to just Voice chat. Like other forms of cumminication.

So all those people that say Well Just Use Voice are wrong. You may get 250 to sign up getting them in voice chat is another matter. You cannot even control which voice chat They are going to use.

So all of us would have to agree. That using Just voice chat is insufficient structure for 250 brackets in Ashes of Creation. That it is not going to work like in Eve Online.

Right??

That is like the person that said well just use Google as a mentoring program.????

So just to be clear agains Voice chat will only work for Premades not events Period,.

You agree with this right?
  • Options
    So just to be clear agains Voice chat will only work for Premades not events Period,.

You agree with this right?
    I dont understand what you are saying, and I don't think you do either.

What do you mean by premade,and what do you mean by event?

As I said above,events like node wars, guild wars, sieges and such (which are the only things likely to get to 250 vs 250), the bulk of those present will be a part of an organized guild that organized the event. In terms of guild wars, 100% of participants will be.

If this isn't the very definition of a premade, than I dont know what is.

Essentially, these large scale events you are talking about - they will be almost exclusively premade.

It isn't like Ashes is going to have a 250 vs 250 arena or anything.

Again, as I said above, I think you have the wrong idea about the mechanics.
  • Options
    HedgemonHedgemon Member
    edited April 2021
    wont military nodes have a minigame/petsystem arena style pvp for who gets mayor?!?!?!
    Trample the dead and hurdle the fallen. Run, and you will only die tired.
  • Options
    Hedgemon wrote: »
    wont military nodes have a minigame/petsystem arena style pvp for who gets mayor?!?!?!

Yes. Not sure what relevance that has though.
  • Options
    IF VC is in the game, it should be local, 30 meters or so. Possibly going up for specific party chat.
  • Options
    In a premade there is someone that says Hey if you are not in voice chat you are not going to play.
    In a premade you have some one that chooses to lets say do node vs node and they decide to join a group and the group leader requires them to be voice chat. Very similar to a ten man raid group in WoW: Plus in a Premade group leader hand picks participants for thins like composition and strategy.

In a nutshell raid group. But notice the elements here. Group Leader Group is itself Have to be ine voice Chat to be in Group.

In an open world event Poeple choose to particpate in event but no one will be requiring them to be in voice chat No one will be sayin we have to many rnagers already. No one will be banning them from event if they do not cooperate and be in voice Chat. So no requirement for voice chat. There might not be a requirement to be in a group either.

In a premade a group leader is hand picking people.

In non premade like the Open world battle grounds it who so ever wants to participate same thing with node vs Node. Unless there is some there to banning people from event that are not in trade chat it will not work.

Voice Chat the software will work it just some people will not wnat to be in it and no one will be able to do anything about it.

Here is a question. How is anyone going to get the people that play MMOs that do not use Voice Chat into Voice Chat when they are doing lets say a Node vs Node event. Anser is you cannot. That why it will not work. You are going have a Pool of 1000 people and from that pool 250 people not of your choosing are going ot paritcipate in event. So you do not get to make the choice of well this guy does not have discord he cannot play with us Like what happens in Eve Online. Same thing goes for open world battle grounds.

Unless there is someone there saying if you are not in voice chat you cannot play then Vioce chat will not work cuase there lot so people that do not use voice chat.

So 250 that are not of your choosing will show up but they will not all use voice chat.

• Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited April 2021

Here is a question. How is anyone going to get the people that play MMOs that do not use Voice Chat into Voice Chat when they are doing lets say a Node vs Node event. Anser is you cannot. That why it will not work. You are going have a Pool of 1000 people and from that pool 250 people not of your choosing are going ot paritcipate in event. So you do not get to make the choice of well this guy does not have discord he cannot play with us Like what happens in Eve Online. Same thing goes for open world battle grounds.

People are creative. Somebody ambitious and charismatic can easily make a discord and start spamming the link in node chat and set up some structure and a process to verify who's a citizen and who's not and start facilitating organization between the mayor/guilds/citizens of the node. It happened in Guild Wars 2, people created server websites and server discords and got as many people as they could apart of the community to organize World vs World and whatever else more efficiently. Obviously some people will choose not to participate, but a lot more will.