Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Serious concern/question about being a bad guy

Comments

• Options
    AsriAsri Member
    edited July 2020
    There is a reward for playing as a bad guy: you get to participate in as the quarry in the Bounty Hunter system. That's content not available to the non-corrupted.

If you don't want being bad to have consequences, to be reviled or hunted for it, then you aren't really interested in being a bad guy player, you are just interested in making other people unhappy, as you say, "inflicting pain." From a business standpoint, people whose gameplay is making others miserable are players that cost you money.

You can RP as a bad guy. You can do bad things with consequences. You can be a thief. You can join a warmongering guild. You can destroy cities and fight in wars. You aren't going to get skill trees and bonuses for making other player characters unhappy.
  • Options
    I think you're not understanding corruption properly. You don't get corrupted because you kill people, you get corrupted because you kill people that don't fight back, therefore killing an innocent player.
    This player will drop MORE resources if it doesn't fight back, so unless you're going for really low level players, many should fight back because it's in their best interest to lose less resources, unless they have none, I'm not sure what happens here.

So, if you're a level 40 player a kill a level 10, well, yeah, you're not really a *bad guy*, you're just a bully, and I would actually laugh at your """reputation"""".

Now, what can you do as bad guy? Well...

- you can potentially harass characters and drive them away from certain places. You can damage them, but not kill them. As long as you don't kill them, you're not corrupted
    - raid caravans
    - infiltrate guilds to get information about nodes or attacks
    - religions: haven't heard about religions being "good". There might be religions that require to steal stuff during a siege, for example.

Now, on the other hand, things like: stealing from other players, forging, etc > this have direct negative impact to other players, and I don't think it should be encouraged. You can already scam people by just being really good at convincing, but that's more of trait of your personality, not your character.

I think there are plenty of things you can do
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    Reign118 wrote: »
    I would personally like to see them allow people to host private servers with custom rule sets at some point.

AAA MMO's don't do this.

Honestly, any game that allows for private servers instantly loses it's MMO status.

Your very confined view on topics that aren't relevant to your personal likes makes you come across as very prudish. I obviously cannot ask you to stop replying but I do wish you can stay constructive at the very least if you insist on replying. The gaming community doesn't need negativity in any form.
    Caeryl wrote: »
    SSRogue wrote: »
    For all you know AoC might make a server will no rules like Ultima Online did.
    Intrepid have no interest in alternate ruleset servers.

Really now, cuz I have heard that they have tossed around the ideas for potential updates further down the road for servers to cater to groups like role players and certain siege war scenarios, once they see how players fit into the game and they start seeing community-wide wants.

Steven has explicitly stated there will be no roleplay servers. Wherever you got your rumors, you should think twice about believing them

It wasn't Steven himself it was an article written over a phone interview with a few people working on the game and the person didn't say outright that they were doing anything but they said later down the road once they get a feel for how the community responds to the game and how the game evolves that they will consider branching out into new thing and specialized servers were one of them and the potential server types were roleplay, siege scenarios, and few other possible things. One of the female devs (I think) said she gets excited when they talk about the future of the game how they are so busy with everything right now but they love when they can plot out the future of the game because of how passionate everyone is on how great the game will turn out and how the community behind this game so far is amazing and already influencing some of their ideas.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    I would personally like to see them allow people to host private servers with custom rule sets at some point.

AAA MMO's don't do this.

Honestly, any game that allows for private servers instantly loses it's MMO status.

Your very confined view on topics that aren't relevant to your personal likes makes you come across as very prudish.
    Name one AAA MMO that has allowed private servers.

This isn't a case of my opinion, this is a case of "they dont' do that".

The first "M" in MMO is "massively", and private servers can not sustain that. Therefore, the second a game offers private servers, they at the very least need to drop that first letter.

Seriously, don't complain about what I am saying, if you disagree with me, point me to a AAA MMO with private servers. If you can do that, then you prove me wrong, if you can't or won't, then you prove me right - in which case you are confusing fact with my opinion.
    It wasn't Steven himself it was an article written over a phone interview with a few people working on the game
    Stop talking about it and link it.

You are the one here presenting opinions, not me. I am presenting facts.

You are attempting to back up your opinions by citing non-existant articles, and telling others giving you facts that those facts are just opinions.

This won't fly with me.

• Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    - you can potentially harass characters and drive them away from certain places. You can damage them, but not kill them. As long as you don't kill them, you're not corrupted
    - raid caravans
    - infiltrate guilds to get information about nodes or attacks
    - religions: haven't heard about religions being "good". There might be religions that require to steal stuff during a siege, for example.

Now, on the other hand, things like: stealing from other players, forging, etc > this have direct negative impact to other players, and I don't think it should be encouraged. You can already scam people by just being really good at convincing, but that's more of trait of your personality, not your character.

I think there are plenty of things you can do

In one of my other replies, I tried to word my thoughts better. Basically everything I'm referencing and things you directly replied to are just thoughts along the path of possible actions to lead to your character being bad. Obviously not everything can work within a game that is more protective of the individual player, but I was more so throwing out things that came to me. There have been a few replies on this thread and another thread talking about guild raids and caravans that went into more potential ways to play a bad character which were very good. One poster had an amazing idea about a questline that would lead to players signing up to take part in an event where you choose to be good and protect the city or bad and raid the city. It was essentially a much smaller version of city raids, that was limited to a part of a city or even a smaller hub.

The idea of this thread is to get people talking and see ideas and hopefully get an actual dev pop in or have a few ideas make it to a Q and A.
  • Options
    [quote="Reign118;c-229047".

This won't fly with me.

It is a free world my friend, you can post whatever you want but I choose to no longer reply to you. You obviously have an agenda to defend your views (aka your facts) on a thread that is promoting conversation and exchange of ideas. I wish you the best of luck in your gaming life and your forum wars but I will not waste time on anything that isn't promoting constructive and creative ideas. I am not going to have a pissing contest in a forum on a game that isn't live or even completely finished being developed.

3 separate threads with you having others reach this point with you as I am, you sir are not a positive influence within this new and growing community.
  • Options
    3 separate threads with you having others reach this point with you as I am, you sir are not a positive influence within this new and growing community.
    That is an odd thing to be counting.

I'm surprised it's that low though. What I will say is that I would assume it is 3 threads where people would rather push their opinion over listening to facts.

A discussion is great in terms of a "wouldn't it be cool if". Such discussions are great, and there is no real need for actual facts in them.

As soon as it turns in to a "Ashes could do this", it changes. This is where facts come in to the picture. That is what this thread is, and so facts are required here.

The facts are -
    The corruption system is designed as a pure penalty.
    Intrepid do not want to encourage negative behavior.
    Intrepid do not want to penalize negative behavior - as long as it is within the rules.
    Ashes has no intention of having alternate ruleset servers.
    Ashes has no intention of allowing private servers.
    AAA MMO's do not allow provate servers.

Now, if those facts happened to coinside with your desire, you'd be happy that I am posting said facts. They do not, and as such, you are associated me and my opinion with these facts - even though I am simply the one informing you of said facts.

Again, a simple link to the article you claim exists is enough to debunk almost half od the above - but you won't be able to do it because you made the article up, as you seem to not be able to distinguish the difference between facts and peoples opinions, and wanted to push your opinion as fact.
  • Options
    Keep up the good posting everyone else!
  • Options
    Keep up the good posting everyone else!

It's almost like you're trying to say I'm the "bad guy" here, which I find amusing to no end.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited July 2020
    For all you know AoC might make a server will no rules like Ultima Online did.
    Intrepid have no interest in alternate ruleset servers.

Really now, cuz I have heard that they have tossed around the ideas for potential updates further down the road for servers to cater to groups like role players and certain siege war scenarios, once they see how players fit into the game and they start seeing community-wide wants.

Steven has explicitly stated there will be no roleplay servers. Wherever you got your rumors, you should think twice about believing them

It wasn't Steven himself it was an article written over a phone interview with a few people working on the game and the person didn't say outright that they were doing anything but they said later down the road once they get a feel for how the community responds to the game and how the game evolves that they will consider branching out into new thing and specialized servers were one of them and the potential server types were roleplay, siege scenarios, and few other possible things. One of the female devs (I think) said she gets excited when they talk about the future of the game how they are so busy with everything right now but they love when they can plot out the future of the game because of how passionate everyone is on how great the game will turn out and how the community behind this game so far is amazing and already influencing some of their ideas.

From the wiki, from Steven and the leads themselves:
    Server types

There won't be separate roleplaying (RP) servers.[81]
    There won't be separate PvE and PvP servers.[82]

You can try to make a corrupted-heavy server, but just like players will have only unofficial RP servers, you have to work within the game’s mechanics. You won’t get special rules
  • Options
    SSRogueSSRogue Member
    edited July 2020
    You can try to make a corrupted-heavy server, but just like players will have only unofficial RP servers, you have to work within the game’s mechanics. You won’t get special rules

Things like that most likely won't happen, I do agree. They deff aren't happening the first 3 years or so, but... there have been a few decent ideas on this thread and one of the other pvp threads. some decent topics to discuss, some "what if" events or uses of already internal mechanics that could be applied in different ways.

One VERY awesome thing about this game is how much the devs care and how big a nerd Steve is. There is endless potential!
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    edited July 2020
    I want to start this off by saying that I understand how taboo pvp is to a large portion of players. Most people want great story arc progression and maybe others are interested in pvp just enough for the rewards, achievements, gear etc. I would like to present another type of player, not necessarily a roleplay type person but a person who wants to be a bad guy.

I did not read further than this because you are obviously biased and just trying to get sympathy for not being included and empowered to do whatever you want. (Edit: Clarification. What I mean by that is having fun at the cost of others and thinking that's totally fine and should be encourage.)
    If you want to play a bad guy you should be handled like a bad guy end of story for me. I love to pvp but somehow I don't fall in any of the mentioned categories. I just love pvp and do it where I can. Arenas, Battlegrounds, duells. If you want pvp, then pvp, if you want to be a bad guy, you are a bad guy and should take the consequences.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    NetoryNetory Member
    Judging by these comments I'm starting to think we need a corruption system for the forums.
    0sGgchB.png
  • Options
    Netory wrote: »
    Judging by these comments I'm starting to think we need a corruption system for the forums.

Only if you get it when you post ideas without understanding the systems already described for the game.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Netory wrote: »

oh I'm fine with that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    StyleStyle Member
    If you wanna see how devestating you can be with the right strategy, search for eve online and the goonsquad.

that is a beast of a story to tell. Movie worthy. turning the high commanders against their own clan to tear them apart from the inside out?
    I mean you have everything. Drama. betrayal. Backstabbing. huge wars.

if you get involved with the community and be active on forums etc. this is a wet dream for someone who wants to harm people in the digital world. and that shit can hurt more than corp camping. imagine someone building up his guild and having a great run as mayor and then you come along with rumors, lies, dirty secrets someone spilled to tear everything he build apart.
    oh.my.god. i dont wanna be the bad guy but shit i always wanted to be part of that kind of drama. one way or the other. hell yeah.
  • Options
    KohlKohl Member
    I agree that the punishment is way too great for pking.
    I mean you already have a bounty system which is great! I'd like to try playing as both bounty hunter and a bad guy, but to put a dampening on the effectiveness of the abilities is just absurd.
    Why not just make it so you can't attack players that are certain level below you?
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited July 2020
    Kohl wrote: »
    I mean you already have a bounty system which is great! I'd like to try playing as both bounty hunter and a bad guy, but to put a dampening on the effectiveness of the abilities is just absurd.
    Why not just make it so you can't attack players that are certain level below you?

Intrepid doesn’t intend to forbid it, but there’s severe consequences for being a murderhobo, as there should be. If you don’t want to take a stat hit, maybe don’t fight over something worthless, or maybe don’t take a goon squad to gank players gathering some Common mats. If you want PvP, there are plenty of options available.

Raid caravans (Corruption-free), take part in sieges (Corruption-free), play in arena matches (Corruption-free), contest valuable locations like dungeons (When people want to fight for something, you don’t have high risk of corruption)

If you get corruption, you engaged in PvP Intrepid actively wants to discourage, and you earned your dues.
  • Options
    grisu wrote: »
    I want to start this off by saying that I understand how taboo pvp is to a large portion of players. Most people want great story arc progression and maybe others are interested in pvp just enough for the rewards, achievements, gear etc. I would like to present another type of player, not necessarily a roleplay type person but a person who wants to be a bad guy.

I did not read further than this because you are obviously biased and just trying to get sympathy for not being included and empowered to do whatever you want. (Edit: Clarification. What I mean by that is having fun at the cost of others and thinking that's totally fine and should be encourage.)
    If you want to play a bad guy you should be handled like a bad guy end of story for me. I love to pvp but somehow I don't fall in any of the mentioned categories. I just love pvp and do it where I can. Arenas, Battlegrounds, duells. If you want pvp, then pvp, if you want to be a bad guy, you are a bad guy and should take the consequences.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

Ok, words where said. Sadly you missed all the actual conversation going on below where you claim to have stopped reading so your thoughts are reflected on such little information. Way to turn a blind eye to things, but it is an option you are allowed to chose. :)
  • Options

Yea as someone else replied to you, this game is not going to allow being a dick for the sake of being a dick. You have every advantage to randomly atk anyone you wish but you will be severely punished for it, and honestly, who wants to fight people that just sit there waiting to die so you get corruption, that isn't fun. The fun is in their internal pvp systems that allow pvp and yous till do have open world pvp but the other person has to fight back which is the point of pvp.

SO... what I have been talking about this entire damn time is just having fun with the corruption system for the sake of getting a title or some hooded cloak just to look the part of being a bad guy since the game allows it basically in moderation, or at least a npc faction to focus on that makes you bad. But there are a few people who abruptly wont even talk about such thing for it is forbidden old magic that might cause the end of all we know for even hinting at it in a hypothetical way lol. Can't be upset with them though, they probably got ganked one too many times and can't fight back or get over it and now they too butt hurt to even have an open-ended conversation about unholy things. how dare we think of potential rule-free zones with some incentive to venture into but there is no corruption given for pvp, or queueable small scale scenarios outside of caravans and guild raids that let you fight o the side of good or evil and see who wins.
  • Options

Intrepid doesn’t intend to forbid it, but there’s severe consequences for being a murderhobo, as there should be. If you don’t want to take a stat hit, maybe don’t fight over something worthless, or maybe don’t take a goon squad to gank players gathering some Common mats. If you want PvP, there are plenty of options available.

Raid caravans (Corruption-free), take part in sieges (Corruption-free), play in arena matches (Corruption-free), contest valuable locations like dungeons (When people want to fight for something, you don’t have high risk of corruption)

If you get corruption, you engaged in PvP Intrepid actively wants to discourage, and you earned your dues.

I just wanted to personally thank you for giving someone an actual informative reply and still entertaining the general topic without just being outright dismissive of the subject matter. It is nice to know people do exist that can have conversations based on imagination and thought-provoking takes on things. You good person deserve a pat on the back.
  • Options
    ZambarZambar Member
    I think you all forget about a system that allow you to be a bad guy. The monster coin system. Trigger or let you join monster hordes to distrupt the progression of nodes.
    Let's theorycraft a little. The monster coins are random loot. If you want steady supply of it you have to be a secret ally of a guild. The bigger the better. To earn these coins you help the guild to rule a note.( as it's said for each node more then one guild will fight) You can backstab, distupt rare material geathering lines, destroy caravans for them to get your hands on the coins. How you use it it's up to you. If you are a villain with morals you won' backstab the guild providing you with the coins, but it's up to you ofc.

I see more potential fun as a villain in this over all then just killing anyone randomly without punishment.
  • Options
    Zambar wrote: »
    I think you all forget about a system that allow you to be a bad guy. The monster coin system. Trigger or let you join monster hordes to distrupt the progression of nodes.
    Let's theorycraft a little. The monster coins are random loot. If you want steady supply of it you have to be a secret ally of a guild. The bigger the better. To earn these coins you help the guild to rule a note.( as it's said for each node more then one guild will fight) You can backstab, distupt rare material geathering lines, destroy caravans for them to get your hands on the coins. How you use it it's up to you. If you are a villain with morals you won' backstab the guild providing you with the coins, but it's up to you ofc.

I see more potential fun as a villain in this over all then just killing anyone randomly without punishment.

This is a very good thing I think we all skipped over! Great info drop there! And it isn't about killing people without punishment lol, this thread is not about wanting to gank people without punishment :pensive:
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
    edited July 2020

AAA MMO's don't do this.

Your very confined view on topics that aren't relevant to your personal likes makes you come across as very prudish.

Tbf, one rare case is Project 1999 where daybreak has given them permission to run a private EverQuest server

https://www.everquest.com/news/project-1999-daybreak

The definition of AAA I think fits here considering EQ was under SOE for the majority of it's existence.
  • Options
    duxdux Member
    Even if I never was good/geared enough to be the bad guy, I acknowledge you guys make the game FUN. I do think currently the corruption system (if you pk 2 non-combatant and can insta lose your gear) isn't fun at all for pk's. Archeage allowed some PK'ing and it was awesome.
  • Options
    There are lots of good things that can come from players coming in and killing citizens of cities. If there is a high enough demand, citizens may hire bodyguards to protect them while they gather resources, or better yet, it could be an in game quest where you can earn exp and stuff for protecting citizens from monsters and players alike. That sounds pretty dope to me.
  • Options

AAA MMO's don't do this.

Tbf, one rare case is Project 1999 where daybreak has given them permission to run a private EverQuest server

https://www.everquest.com/news/project-1999-daybreak

The definition of AAA I think fits here considering EQ was under SOE for the majority of it's existence.

I'm quite happy to alter my statement to AAA MMO's don't allow for private servers until they have been live for 20 years.

I just wanted to personally thank you for giving someone an actual informative reply and still entertaining the general topic without just being outright dismissive of the subject matter. It is nice to know people do exist that can have conversations based on imagination and thought-provoking takes on things. You good person deserve a pat on the back.

Interestingly, the information given in the post you responded to here is the same information I have given you in this thread.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member

Ok, words where said. Sadly you missed all the actual conversation going on below where you claim to have stopped reading so your thoughts are reflected on such little information. Way to turn a blind eye to things, but it is an option you are allowed to chose. :)

Ok I read further and it's exactly the same, just trying to spin your awful behaviour on having fun at the cost of others into a positive. Nothing changed from what I gathered in the first 3 sentences and it was a waste of time. If you want to be a bad guy you should be handled like one and not empowered.

I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    Raoul9753Raoul9753 Member
    edited July 2020
    You know SSRogue, i get the same vibe of you i get from those people in D&D who play a murder hoboing party stealing rogue with the “its what my Charakter would do“ excuse. And there is a reason noone wants these guys at a table, unless the whole party is playing like this.

The pure concept of “being the bad guy“ in a multiplayer enviroment is flawed from the beginning, because to be a “bad guy“ you need an unwilling victim, otherwise you would just be a pvper. And that means your enjoyment in the game is directly tied to reducing another players enjoyment in the game, and more often than not by a greater amount than your gain. Notice where this gets problematic?

Rewarding the killing of unwilling players will just lead to what happened on wow pvp servers back when phase 2 hobor was introduced: rogue groups sneaking around leveling areas and sniping players who gove them rewards but are unable to fight back, while totaly avoiding players that would pose a fight.

You claim that you dont want to grief, but you are asking for a system that allows you to have fun by causing grief for others, otherwise you could literally just play any single player rpg and be the bad guy all you want, but you spezificly want to do it in a way that involves real victims. Otherwise you would have asked about a thiefs guild/assassins guild style system where you steak from or assassinate npcs, but you didnt, you specifically asked if the game lets you be a bad guy towards other players. And sorry, that in itself is the pure definition of griefing.
  • Options
    SaviourI wrote: »
    There are lots of good things that can come from players coming in and killing citizens of cities. If there is a high enough demand, citizens may hire bodyguards to protect them while they gather resources, or better yet, it could be an in game quest where you can earn exp and stuff for protecting citizens from monsters and players alike. That sounds pretty dope to me.

I agree there could be some kind of interesting system for a "bad guy" quest line to do these things