Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Maciej wrote: »

My point that UI is going to go through iterations, and adding role descriptors to it eventually is both common sense and industry standard, so I'd expect it to appear.
    It isn't standard, but even if it is, it is tacky and shouldn't be a thing.

The developers should never tell players outright what they can or can not do. They can give players clues, but never outright tell players.

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Why are people complaining about tanks being named after a military vehicle and not complaining about fighters being also named after a military vehicle developed during the same war?

I imagine that most "freedom fighters" would take issue with you calling them a plane.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Why are people complaining about tanks being named after a military vehicle and not complaining about fighters being also named after a military vehicle developed during the same war?

I imagine that most "freedom fighters" would take issue with you calling them a plane.

They should be more concerned about the other part of their name being derived from a type of fried potato side dish.
  • Options
    MaciejMaciej Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

My point that UI is going to go through iterations, and adding role descriptors to it eventually is both common sense and industry standard, so I'd expect it to appear.

The developers should never tell players outright what they can or can not do. They can give players clues, but never outright tell players.

LOL
  • Options
    edited January 2021

LOL

You are aware that this game is a sandbox, right?

The developers aren't even telling us what content we should be doing, let alone what our class can or can not do. In both cases, it should be up to us players to figure out.

After all, this is a game that is not designed for children.
  • Options
    They sure as hell do tell us what the classes can or can not do mate.

I'm wondering what other completely uncontroversial things I can say that you will then proceed on to disagree with because I said it.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    They sure as hell do tell us what the classes can or can not do mate.

I'm wondering what other completely uncontroversial things I can say that you will then proceed on to disagree with because I said it.

No they don't.

They make the class, and then leave it up to us to figure out what we can do with it.
    We have our eight base archetypes; and the trinity is a pretty strong influence with regards to the eight base classes. However the area in which we actually begin to play with that line between the trinity is in the secondary classes that you can pick. That's where we begin to blend those spaces and allow people a little bit of influence over their role and whether or not they fit perfectly within a particular category within the trinity
    That doesn't sound to me like a developer that is dictating exactly what each archetype can do.

Attempt to guide and direct, sure. Dictate? Nope.

Again, this game is a sandbox, not a themepark. The idea is that the developers give players tools, and players do what we will with them.
  • Options
    No they don't.

They make the class, and then leave it up to us to figure out what we can do with it.

Dude... this entire thread is about the fact that they named the tank class literally "Tank".
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    No they don't.

Dude... this entire thread is about the fact that they named the tank class literally "Tank".

Yeah, as that is the best way to suggest to players that this is the class they should roll if they want to be the tank.

We went over that, remember?

If someone wants to try and tank with a mage, the fact that they can pair that with tank, equip plate armor and a shied means they are free to go for it. Add a few buffs to that and you may be successful in some situations.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Adding "Role: Tank" to UI is "tacky and shouldn't be a thing" because "the developers should never tell players outright what they can or can not do",

Literally naming the class "Tank" is "suggeting".

LOL
  • Options
    If someone wants to try and tank with a mage, the fact that they can pair that with tank, equip plate armor and a shied means they are free to go for it. Add a few buffs to that and you may be successful in some situations.

And we'll never even know the Mage/Tank augments until someone takes one for the team and makes one.
  • Options
    Adding "Role: Tank" to UI is "tacky and shouldn't be a thing" because "the developers should never tell players outright what they can or can not do",

Literally naming the class "Tank" is "suggeting".

LOL

Correct.

You understand now.

The developers adding a field to each class to way what their role is suggests that this is all they can do. Developers should never tell players what they can't do, especially in a sandbox.
  • Options
    Correct.

You understand now.

😂
  • Options
    Just put it in the Q&A, and settle it for good.

"Will you be changing the "Tank" name, or not?"

See if they've changed their answer since last time...
  • Options
    Correct.

You understand now.

😂

If you come over to my house, and ask for a screwdriver, if I give you one, you can use it for things other than driving screws.

If I say to you, "here is my screwdriver, it is for driving screws" you are now in a position where you shouldn't use it for anything other than driving screws.

I assume you see that, I can't make it any clearer.

Just because a thing has a name that matches it's function, that doesn't mean that is all it can do. It does mean that there should be nothing at all that is better at that job that the thing is named after, but it doesn't limit it. As soon as someone in authority says that is the only job the thing can do, then that is the only job that thing should do.

You understand now. I am sure.
  • Options
    If you come over to my house

Party at Noaani's house! I'll bring pie!
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

And we'll never even know the Mage/Tank augments until someone takes one for the team and makes one.

Challenge accepted.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dear lord this thread is getting better and better! What kind of world do we live in where the nonsensical topic of what a class is named is getting more attention than many actual game changing mechanics are XD
  • Options
    I'm taking
  • Options
    The spot for the 500th comment :)
  • Options
    LXIX wrote: »

Does that include the initial post or not?
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    LXIX wrote: »

but I thought LXIX = 69?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    but I thought LXIX = 69?

What have The Roman done for us?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »
    but I thought LXIX = 69?

What have The Roman done for us?

They taught us about LXIX?
  • Options
    They taught us about LXIX?

It appears they have also disclosed immortality, for only the immortal can be teachers after such a distant past.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ErdunErdun Member
    edited February 2021
    I think Guardian sounds better for the primary class.
  • Options
    Guardian is Tank/Tank. You'd need a different name not already taken for a Main Class if you even stand a chance of changing the basic archetype name (Which I don't think Steven wants.)((Steven has said before Tank name won't be changed.))
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ErdunErdun Member
    edited February 2021
    It just doesn't sounds good for the fantasy, tank is a rol not a class name.

What about Defender?
  • Options
    I'm not sure why they didn't use Bulwark. They describe the Tank as Bulwark. I don't see the Tank as a Defender. The Tank is very viable in offense in PvP.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    Tank sounds fine for a fantasy game.
    In a fantasy setting - it connotes a heavily armoured object.