Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Friendly rivalry and spotting slackers with no dps/hps meters?

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Juicy Dubs

Yeah you are talking about the "Stone Sea Sky"? I think, IDK I have only used it at the start of an expansion to make sure that I was ready for the first EXs while waiting for savage. That weird time period where you are freshly capped again, and want to make sure you are playing the class right with the new adjustments and abilities. I did this in both Stormblood and Shadowbringers.

In any case I don't think that something like that would ever work well for ashes. With the enchanting system and build flexibility ashes will never be as tightly tuned as FFXIV. Ashes wont even have "proper" rotations(which is good imo). People will use some sort of rotation based on cooldowns in PvE I am sure, but it will not be baked into the job the way it is in FFXIV. Another factor is that bosses are going to "Dynamically" adjust to raid performance. The best we could have is a training dummy that lets you know you are doing "okay" for your level and gear grade/enchant level. I don't bet we would ever see something like that.

I do think it is likely with the stance Intrepid as taken against parsers, we will see a lot of bans if they make talking about DPS actionable. Ashes is going to be a far more directly competitive game with open world PvP and non-instanced raid bosses. I would expect people to be more toxic about not only dying to a boss due to low DPS, but also another raid took that loot. How all of this plays out is going to be interesting to watch at a minimum.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Yep. Stone Sea Sky is still the thing it goes by afaik.

I'm pretty glad to hear rotations won't be as baked into AoC as much as XIV because it is a bit of a stresspoint. "Dynimcal adjustment to performance" is somewhat questionable but I'll guess we'll just have to wait for more details or experience to learn whether this compromises the integrity of the experience.

I'm sure any form of harrassment is banable depending on severity and open talk of parsing that is against ToS. I'm find with it personally but just wanted to express that it's not an inherent evil or negative as its painted out to be.

I've seldome considered myself 'endgame' or 'raider' without capping everything, always leaving that on the neverending to-do list. But as I run out of things to do and begin to explore activities beyond leveling, self improvement has become my main focus. So I learned, and am still learning, but most importantly having fun in the process.

I'm excited for AoC while trying to contain my hype after the Cyberpunk disappointment of 2020. But its aspirations are very deserving of the chance, and I'm certainly welcoming to a change of pace that takes a step aside from the "cap level, raid, repeat and wait" formula I'm feeling from FFXIV. :)
  • SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    Saedu wrote: »
    See what I did there :)
    While true, almost all of the senior developers for Ashes are ex-EQ2 developers.

Intrepid proudly stated as much as far back as the original kickstarter, that games logo is on their kickstarter page (among other games logos).

They have not publically acknowledged that they have any WoW developers on staff.

All the more reason to share good game system examples on this forum from other non EQ2 games to help the devs. Let's home EQ2 doesn't have too much of a bias on this game :)
  • I know meter's can be important to determine ones overall performance personally but, this game isn't really about that life.
    AoC A2 Tester
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    All the more reason to share good game system examples on this forum from other non EQ2 games to help the devs.
    What, you think the developers are unable to keep tabs on what others are doing in the very niche industry they have made their profession?

That is showing a complete and total lack of trust in their ability to know what they are doing.
    Exquizit wrote: »
    I know meter's can be important to determine ones overall performance personally but, this game isn't really about that life.

If this game isn't about that life, why have the developers said they will implement a system whereby raids are rewarded based on how well they kill content - not just whether they kill it or not.

Evidence would suggest that this game is more about that life than any other game is.
    All the more reason to share good game system examples on this forum from other non EQ2 games to help the devs.
    What, you think the developers are unable to keep tabs on what others are doing in the very niche industry they have made their profession?

That is showing a complete and total lack of trust in their ability to know what they are doing.

This has zero to do with a trust or lack of trust with devs. It has 100% to do with good product management best practices that result in delivering world-class products.

I've worked in software product management in a few different companies and I've shipped successful products. I know first hand what it means to keep track of the industry. I also know what it means to listen to customers.

Yes, I 100% absolutely think that this if most of the team is ex-EQ2 then is increasingly important to share both good and bad examples from non-EQ2 games to these devs. Sharing EQ2 examples are actually less helpful for them as they probably already have knowledge of that space.

Each of us will have our own bias based on our experiences. Developers, Product Managers, even Steven can be influenced by these bias (in both good and bad ways). The "best" products are made through diverse opinions and opening discussing them. Statements that attempt to shut down conversation (e.g. "its WoW so its not valid here") are not helpful in designing the best product.

There's a saying that product managers are often taught early on: "Your opinion, although interesting, is irrelevant". I hope that Steven and his product team adhere to this saying (and I think they do based on what I've seen in the monthly dev updates).

PMs or game designers (or in this case Steven as the creative director) are the decision makers on what gets built. Their experience (and subsequent opinion/bias) is a two-edged sword. These decision maker's products live or die on their ability to set aside their own bias and understand their customers. Only then can they build the right product.

I've posted more on these forums in the past month then I have in my entire 16+ years playing WoW. Why? Because I believe what Steven says in his dev updates about customer feedback and I see a opportunity to have an influence on an interesting game. I believe that my opinions are being read and weighed with the others on this forum and that to some degree it will help make the game better.

(the ability to troll you a little bit @Noaani is just a bonus for posting here, but wouldn't be reason enough for me to spend time on a forum :))
    Exquizit wrote: »
    I know meter's can be important to determine ones overall performance personally but, this game isn't really about that life.

If this game isn't about that life, why have the developers said they will implement a system whereby raids are rewarded based on how well they kill content - not just whether they kill it or not.

Evidence would suggest that this game is more about that life than any other game is.

I agree with this statement.
    Yes, I 100% absolutely think that this if most of the team is ex-EQ2 then is increasingly important to share both good and bad examples from non-EQ2 games to these devs.
    I'd you've worked in any kind of product development, then you would know first hand that keeping a tab on what others in your sector are doing is a key aspect of the job.

You would also know that there is literally nothing at all that your potential customers can offer you that could make your product better, at least not until after it has launched.

You would also know that the specifics of each product, and the goals the company behind each product has for said product, dictate the direction that product will take more than anything else. Since the general public is unaware of theee factors, that just adds to our inability to provide useful information.

All of that taken in, the notion that we could point out to professional MMO developers some of the features of the most successful MMO of all time (which is the only game I have seen you reference) and think that we are providing a useful service and giving the developers information they may not have - thats just odd.

That is like going down to your local gourmet burger place and telling them what McDonalds do. Obviously they know, and they exist to do better burgers than that.
    Yes, I 100% absolutely think that this if most of the team is ex-EQ2 then is increasingly important to share both good and bad examples from non-EQ2 games to these devs.
    I'd you've worked in any kind of product development, then you would know first hand that keeping a tab on what others in your sector are doing is a key aspect of the job.

You would also know that there is literally nothing at all that your potential customers can offer you that could make your product better, at least not until after it has launched.

You would also know that the specifics of each product, and the goals the company behind each product has for said product, dictate the direction that product will take more than anything else. Since the general public is unaware of theee factors, that just adds to our inability to provide useful information.

All of that taken in, the notion that we could point out to professional MMO developers some of the features of the most successful MMO of all time (which is the only game I have seen you reference) and think that we are providing a useful service and giving the developers information they may not have - thats just odd.

That is like going down to your local gourmet burger place and telling them what McDonalds do. Obviously they know, and they exist to do better burgers than that.

I can tell by your comment that you probably have not worked (successfully) in software product management. That's okay. It's not the most intuitive discipline and I'm happy to share some of is secrets :).

From what I've observed so far...I think IS has been fairly transparent with many of the desires and the vision of this game. I think they are also open to adapting their vision over time and careful to not "lock" in too much. Most importantly, I know Steven has on multiple occasions openly invited/asked us to discuss the game and share feedback (so here I am!). We don't actually have the product in hand, but he wants feedback and he goes out of his way to show us the product each month... That's good product management.

If IS did not want our feedback/active discussion on these forums, they would be much more in stealth mode at the moment. MMOs are competitive and they risk competitors taking good ideas here.

One of the top flaws in product development is to assume you know best just because you are a expert in your industry. Countless companies have failed by doing this. Please show me a single product management book that that tells you to not get feedback from your customers... Most books actually focus on the criticality of getting prototypes or the actual product into the customers hands ASAP and iterating based on customer feedback (not what your internal team thinks is right).

Your analogy of the burger joint sounds fun, but is flawed. Regardless I'll play along... who cares how good your hamburgers are if not enough people are buying them for you to stay in business? (Yes Steven has invested $30m, but that won't last very long, especially on California salaries. Maybe two years tops with a ~50 person team). So priority 1 is building a product that can generate enough customer interest to be profitable. It doesn't have to meet all customers needs, but you need to have a big enough target market to sustain your product (and AoC is a very ambitious product vision). This doesn't mean you "downgrade" your product to be exactly like your competitors, but you probably want to know what the successful companies are doing and see what you can do to appeal better to the market. Maybe its the new mobile app that has nothing to do with the actual product people eat, but its now more convenient to order in a COVID-19 world? or maybe that app was a total flop and not something you put any time into. Maybe its the silly wrapping of the food that provides a better "experience"? Maybe its the staff and how they treat the guests? Maybe its the speed/convenience is more important than the quality of the food for these customers?

If you want to know why the competitor is winning... you go ask the competitors loyal customers... lots of them (you also ask your own customers to see why/where you are winning). Yes, you should also try the competitors offering, but asking their customers is still far better than your own experience (as you have a natural bias against the competitors product so you are not a fair judge of it).

You then see what changes you can make that will or will not fit or not fit with the mission of your company. You don't blindly follow what the competitor is doing. You don't try to do everything the opposite of the competitor just to spite them. You make the data-driven connections on what you think will work the best, and then you test your theories by bringing prototypes of these ideas back to those customers you were talking to and see how they react.

Your analogy of the burger joint sounds fun, but is flawed. Regardless I'll play along... who cares how good your hamburgers are if not enough people are buying them for you to stay in business?

Why would you assume that a burger place isn't doing good business, just because they aren't copying McDonalds?

That is a really odd assumption to make.

As to you being a software, well anything. The fact that you think WoW is good essentially excludes the possibility of you working with software competently.

Your analogy of the burger joint sounds fun, but is flawed. Regardless I'll play along... who cares how good your hamburgers are if not enough people are buying them for you to stay in business?

Why would you assume that a burger place isn't doing good business, just because they aren't copying McDonalds?

As to you being a software, well anything. The fact that you think WoW is good essentially excludes the possibility of you working with software competently.

I wasn't assuming the burger joint was doing well or not. Just saying being profitable is the bare minimum. You should always be talking with customers and getting feedback regardless of your success status. If you don't, you will be obsolete when your customers shift enough.

Yes I've played WoW. Yes I'm in product management. I've also played many other games. I just like to use the WoW examples because there are so many (both good and bad) and it's what I currently play.

You do realize there have been a number of points you have made on these forums that align with WoW design principles at some point or another. Not everything of course. I know you try to keep your anti-WoW image up :).

I wasn't assuming the burger joint was doing well or not. Just saying being profitable is the bare minimum. You should always be talking with customers and getting feedback regardless of your success status. If you don't, you will be obsolete when your customers shift enough

You should always be looking at how you can do better, but it is never the average customer that is able to tell you how to do that.

You communicate with customers, sure. But you dont ask them what they thought of your product and how it could be better, because that will never result in useful feedback.

You ask your customers how they found using your product (or preferably, you just observe them using it).

As I said earlier the path taken for how to improve a product depends more on specifics internal to the product and company, and these are things your customers have no grasp of. As such, they are able to offer literally zero insight as to what path you decide to take on your product.
    edited April 2021

I wasn't assuming the burger joint was doing well or not. Just saying being profitable is the bare minimum. You should always be talking with customers and getting feedback regardless of your success status. If you don't, you will be obsolete when your customers shift enough

You should always be looking at how you can do better, but it is never the average customer that is able to tell you how to do that.

You communicate with customers, sure. But you dont ask them what they thought of your product and how it could be better, because that will never result in useful feedback.

You ask your customers how they found using your product (or preferably, you just observe them using it).

As I said earlier the path taken for how to improve a product depends more on specifics internal to the product and company, and these are things your customers have no grasp of. As such, they are able to offer literally zero insight as to what path you decide to take on your product.

hmm... Nice try, but not quite right on your assumptions here. No worries, here's some more product management tips for you :)

You absolutely do want to deeply understand your "average customer". Actually, you want to go further than that. You want to ask lots various questions to your customers/prospective customers so you can start to see the common themes in your customer base. You also want to analyze their behavior with your product (hard to do right now of course, but hopefully the Alpha's help here). Then you start to create personas that group these customers together (and with in-game analytics I think you could potentially measure the size of these personas based on what they do/don't do + time spent). When you go and design features, you can talk about what persona the feature is for or how each persona might react to the given feature. For example, In a MMO, some basic personas might be a mix of the types of content + the duration of gameplay that users do. E.g. you might have the hardcore PvP persona, the casual quester persona, etc. Talking to these customers will provide significant insight to understand they why behind their behavior.

You absolutely do ask your customers for thoughts/ideas on how you can do better, then you dig past those to find out the why and the problems. You ask all sorts of various questions that I'm not going to go into detail on here.

That doesn't mean that if a person is saying "you should do feature x this way" its the good/right way to do it. That is often how customers might express themselves and that's okay because its how customers think. A good PM wants to dig deeper into that and understand the why behind it. They are looking for the core "problem" that the customer is trying to solve for. The PM can then see which problems make sense for their business to solve for (and which ones do not). They can then cross reference that against their persona's and their userbase to see how their decisions might impact their business.

+1 point to you for the idea of observing. That's even better than asking, but it can take more time. You want to use both tactics to varying degrees. Sometimes you want to go broad and ask lots of customers (e.g. via a survey), sometimes you want to go deep with some targeted customers (focus groups, usability studies, alpha testing, streamer interviews, etc). You also mix this with other types of data collection (e.g. in game analytics, course that only works after the game is live :)).

"literally zero insight" is an massively incorrect statement and frankly extremely wrong. Of course your customers are not making the actual product decisions, but what they say, feel, and do, are your most important sources of input for your decisions as a PM (far more important than what you personally think is right based on your own experience). Customers are the people you are solving the problems for and without them, you do not have a product.

Here's a quote for you from the book "Empowered" (written by Marty Cagen for product management leaders. Marty is one of the foremost experts on product management in the world):

"In strong product companies, the purpose of the product team is to serve customers by creating products customers love, yet work for the business"

The customer, not the business, comes first. Of course you must balance both or you wont have a profitable business to solve the customers' needs. However, far too many businesses out there put themselves first and that results in sub-par customer experiences that ultimately leads to failed products.

Here's two examples for you from WoW:
    1) Covenant system
    Blizzard gathered months of feedback before the release of their latest expansion, Shadowlands. For months their average players, streamers, and almost all of their personas were saying "the covenant system is bad". Blizzard decided that the players were wrong and they went ahead and released the feature. Guess what, its bad... the players were right.

The sad thing is Blizzard really did put a lot of effort into listening to their customers feedback on the concerns with the covenant system. Several webcasts with streamers, lots of discussions, etc. But they didn't truly listen to their customers...they disagreed with their player base because they thought they knew better. They tried to spend time convincing the players that it would be awesome and everything would be good and balanced. They were wrong and the game is not as good because of their decision. Many players feel forced to pick covenant A for the abilities when they would rather be doing covenant B for the story (or vice versa). One of their signature feature for the expansion is considered a failure by most of the players (search up #pulltheripcord and you will probably find lots of this feedback).

2) PvP gearing system
    The pvp gearing system is much better this time around. Players earn conquest points with a weekly cap (and catch up mechanic if you miss prior weeks). Plus the rating system is still in place and higher rating is needed to upgrade gear to higher levels. This system worked well for both more casual and more dedicated players. This system was actually so successful that the PvE only personas were complaining they didn't have a similar system (and Blizzard recently patched in a similar system for them). Guess what, this system was heavily influenced by the customers and Blizzard listened to them! Coincidence? I think not!
    Blah blah

What I dont get is - where in all of that is the value of unsolicited advice from people that have never used one of your products before?

Because remember, that is what you are advocating, and what I am saying has no real value.
    Blah blah

What I dont get is - where in all of that is the value of unsolicited advice from people that have never used one of your products before?

Because remember, that is what you are advocating, and what I am saying has no real value.

Great question. Keep in mind that this feedback is NOT unsolicited. Steven has literally asked for it in dev updates this year and he is right for doing so. Go back and listen closely to the last few dev updates. They ask for feedback and engagement from us every time.

Why do you think IS is doing the monthly dev updates? Why are they asking for the community to provide input when they know that most of us have only seen their gameplay videos? It's not marketing hype (that's best done when closer to release and IS has been talking about this game for years). They want to understand the perspectives of their target customers so they can build the best product possible. It's easier to make changes now than later. We know this feedback has already saved them from some bad decisions (e.g. daily login rewards got axed).

Like I said before, good product management is not directly intuitive and thats okay. I hope you're learning from all of this (I could be spending my time right now playing WoW instead, but I have hope for this game).
    @Noaani : March update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD5WKztW0S4&t=393s

About 6:30 in Steven goes into some detail asking for feedback. He even talks about the whole combat system being reworked (not a small change, may have implications to the vision?!?!). Again around 34:00...

He had an even better quote from one of the other ones where he asked for open discussion to challenge the pros/cons of systems, but I don't remember what update that one was in so I don't have a reference for you.
  • This seems like a conversation similar to questioning whether grading systems are necessary in schooling. Any thoughts or insights from this juxtaposition?
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Weders wrote: »
    This seems like a conversation similar to questioning whether grading systems are necessary in schooling. Any thoughts or insights from this juxtaposition?

For me, your analogy captures the idea of education becoming tunnel-vision focused on the grading system pretty well. And the advantages of multi-stage grading that helps you easily judge good and bad learners, pick out the ones who need extra attention, etc.

I think the major flaw in the analogy is:
    - In the education system, without a grading system you cannot objectively sample learning (until someone finds a better way to do so)
    - In gaming, you can still beat a boss without a DPS meter and that in itself is a test of sorts.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
    edited April 2021
    maouw wrote: »
    - In gaming, you can still beat a boss without a DPS meter and that in itself is a test of sorts.

Not if said boss is tuned to not allow for underperformance at all, and such encounters do indeed exist. Without a combat tracker, you dont even know what underperforming is - you have no way of knowing.

Not if said boss is tuned to not allow for underperformance at all, and such encounters do indeed exist. Without a combat tracker, you dont even know what underperforming is - you have no way of knowing.

That's not my quote. I agree with you @Noaani. Beating/not beating the boss is not enough detail to know how you did.

That's not my quote. I agree with you Noaani. Beating/not beating the boss is not enough detail to know how you did.

That is the second time my phone has done that (or, I have made a mistake on my phone and not noticed, more accurately).

Fixed it for you though.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    I`m old school, I think.

I prefer no dps meters and learn to read the mob and environment, not the just scrolling numbers & stats on the screen.

Players, groups, clans learn pretty quickly who knows plays well and who doesn`t through experience.

More over, the less need to refer to UI and focus what one sees, gets response to hears and feels would by my 2 cents.
    akabear wrote: »
    I`m old school, I think.

I prefer no dps meters and learn to read the mob and environment, not the just scrolling numbers & stats on the screen.

Players, groups, clans learn pretty quickly who knows plays well and who doesn`t through experience.

More over, the less need to refer to UI and focus what one sees, gets response to hears and feels would by my 2 cents.

I aren't a fan of looking g at.scrolling numbers in combat either.

Thing is, there is no need to look at them during combat.

So, you have a fight against a mob, it does stuff, you aren't sure what.

You have a choice, either pull it again and again until you find out what it is doing, or you go through your combat log to try and find what it is doing.

The rest of your raid will want you to go through your combat log to find what it is doing, even if you dont.

As it is understood right now, that combat log is literally just a chat window in your game client. That means going through each line manually, one by one.

All a combat tracker does is take that information and make it easier and faster to comprehend.

I dont see how people can say this is a bad thing.

The notion that "I dont want a combat tracker because I want to watch the game while I am killing things", and all of its derivatives, is simply indicative of someone that doesn't understand proper usage of a combat tracker.

There is no need for a combat tracker to have a single element showing on your screen during an encounter, if you do not wish it to.
  • The downside of DPS meters... Meta and toxic players who will take nothing less.
    The upside... knowing the meta so you will not be excluded by toxic players.

• akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    • General PvE I imagine there is time to read.
    • Intense raid perhaps time through much of it
    • But intense pvp I would think trumps all.

In L2, I recall developing a sense such that if I had to fight class type X, it was generally a combination of either 2-3 crits (random 1 in 5 chance ) or 6-10 general shots to take out, less if max buffs. Class type Y, perhaps 20% more, Class Z 50% more.

If you could see them downing heal pots add 1-3 shots to take out, and if they were spamming X type pots, then you were in for a fight.

But all from watching the player not the side stats. Others may have read the stats but for full attention to what you were doing, then there was really only time for occasional glance at the side text bar.

For PvE, if fully buffed and fighting the best mobs for level, was 2.5 shot, so no need for counter at all.

Boss, well you needed to see that health bar move and know if you were effective so sure.

I was hoping for the immersion so that the screen was watched not the side bars.

• grisugrisu Member
    Just putting down my mark in the 30th post about it.
    I'm pro dps meter or a suiteable substitute to keep game balance in check AND visible as well as craft encounters that are truly hard on the edge of possible. (and other things I'm just to lazy to reiterate as 200+ posts in here probably did anyway)
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
    edited April 2021
    akabear wrote: »
    • General PvE I imagine there is time to read.
    • Intense raid perhaps time through much of it
    • But intense pvp I would think trumps all.
    If you really want to look at your combat tracker in general PvE you can, I'm not sure why you would want to though.

An intense raid? Nope, no hope. The more intense raids I have been on are far more intense than the most intense PvP I have been in (between my time in Archeage, BDO and EvE, as well as a few other games).

Honestly, the intensity doesn't even come close.

As I have said in the past - I use combat trackers in every game, even those people don't think have a combat tracker available for them. That is 20 years of running combat trackers, and over two dozen games in total.

I have NEVER looked at a combat tracker during combat. Not once. Not even briefly.

There is no point.

It isn't even a case of not wanting to break immersion, it is a case of it being actually pointless. You use a combat tracker to work out what you are going to do in combat, and if you aren't successful, to help you work out why. If the information a combat tracker can give you during combat alters anything you do during that encounter, then you didn't use the combat tracker properly before combat.

I've said it many times and I will say it again, people that cite this as a reason to be against combat trackers straight up don't know how to use them properly - don't even know what they are for.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

This is a stretch Noaani - in most games you can tell when you are under-performing, even in games like Monster Hunter where the boss has no HP bar.

I understand what you're saying about precision data allowing you to take precision action to fight precision bosses. I know there are other people, not just yourself, who like that. But I'm against the concept because it reduces the experience of the boss fight to a pass/fail numbers threshold in a very obtuse way.

Despite everything I've said, I do acknowledge that repeating the same boss unavoidably leads to systematized tactics - so there is merit to keeping the skill ceiling high (neigh impossible) mechanically. My push back here is: do you not notice that grinding bosses burns out your interest? To have a boss always available for a fight accelerates this process, and Steven's ideas about focusing on prime-time slows this down. This is healthy for the longevity of the game, the experience of the boss fight and the real-life priorities of the ordinary person.
    I wish I were deep and tragic

This is a stretch Noaani - in most games you can tell when you are under-performing, even in games like Monster Hunter where the boss has no HP bar.
    All you know in games like this is if you are doing well enough for other players to be happy with you.

If the developers of any game where players are not using a combat tracker decided they wanted to push an encounter to the limit of what is possible with their combat system, players will state the encounter is impossible.

So, developers don't do that. They develop to displayed player ability, not to potential ability of the classes/combat system.